Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Replaying Splinter Cell Blacklist a bit, I forgot how much like Mass Effect 2 it is.

Hub based, loyalty system, all in an episode of 24. A really great game no one played :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

You can do it non-lethal.

You have to be quick though, there's too much fire to take it slow or stealthily. Better have a bunch of candy bars/protein powder on hand because you're going to be punching a lot. You also have to make sure if you use an EMP grenade on the box-bot that soldiers, conscious or unconscious, aren't anywhere near it or they'll be killed by the explosion.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I did that plane ambush thing with a loving taser prod. I didn't have any actual guns on hand, so I was sprinting around like a motherfucker. It was pretty intense. I saved her :smugdog:

PrinnySquadron posted:

I'm reinstalling Torchlight 2 again: what are the best mods for it?

uninstalling it.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Drifter posted:

I did that plane ambush thing with a loving taser prod.

stick with the prod. prod with the prod.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

The Kins posted:

Yeah, in early 2008 Turtle Rock became "Valve South", so L4D2 was entirely under the Valve umbrella. Later that year, Valve South was shut down - a bunch of people moved to the main Seattle studio and a bunch stayed behind to reform Turtle Rock independently, where they helped out on the L4D2 DLC while staffing up and seeking out publishers for what became Evolve.

This always was a little weird to me. I remember Turtle Rock because they know how to make a fun AI to fight against, so how did they go from L4D and its swarms of zombies and specials to a 5-player game with little-to-no AI?

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
This has probably already been posted but just in case, Crypt of the Necrodancer leaves early access in a few days.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

bowmore posted:

Question for the guys who have played Dues Ex Human Revolution, what are the most useful Augs to get at the start?
Somewhat late, but:

Go with the augs that facilitate exploration and further communication options - better hacking (just levels, not the other hacking augs, which range from the situational to the completely useless), punch-through-walls, pheromones...

SynthOrange posted:

The boss fights are the worst because they'd never let me bring my best friend, HACKED TURRET into the rooms with me.
The last few do (if only because you don't a cutscene as you enter the boss fight) and the first two in the extended edition supply turrets to be hacked on location.

Drifter posted:

I did that plane ambush thing with a loving taser prod. I didn't have any actual guns on hand, so I was sprinting around like a motherfucker. It was pretty intense. I saved her :smugdog:
The heli ambush is basically a puzzle fight. You have to figure out that the main sources of damage are the two heavies and that goddamn robot, and that sniping is way too slow. (Also, that I swear there's some invisible wall that stops you from flinging grenades properly from where you start). Once that's done, the whole thing is fairly easy.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Ryuga Death posted:

This has probably already been posted but just in case, Crypt of the Necrodancer leaves early access in a few days.

I am not really sure if this type of game is for me, but the devs can put out some great trailers.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ragequit posted:

I am not really sure if this type of game is for me, but the devs can put out some great trailers.

Yeah, I was gifted it during the holiday sale and I was really struggling to deal with the timing game mechanic. Maybe it was just that first song, but I dunno. I think I'm too used to alternating between just hammering out keys or taking time to sit and think in my Roguelikes.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Devolver you guys are cool but you should talk to your devs about maybe not lifting art styles wholesale from gunpoint http://store.steampowered.com/app/274230/

I mean I literally thought it was by the gunpoint developer at first

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Ragequit posted:

you and I generally love the same types of games. I'm pretty sure you'd quite like this one.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, I was gifted it during the holiday sale and I was really struggling to deal with the timing game mechanic. Maybe it was just that first song, but I dunno. I think I'm too used to alternating between just hammering out keys or taking time to sit and think in my Roguelikes.

If the timing is off, yeah, it can be a bitch to play. I think there's a timing setting/calibration at the start.

Movac
Oct 31, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

Devolver you guys are cool but you should talk to your devs about maybe not lifting art styles wholesale from gunpoint http://store.steampowered.com/app/274230/

I mean I literally thought it was by the gunpoint developer at first

Tom Francis is cool with it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

That's the classy way of handling it I suppose.

e: Not a good sign if the trailer starts with "From the creator of Mega Man fangame" http://store.steampowered.com/app/361110/

weird game of the week: http://store.steampowered.com/app/363920/

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 20, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

PrinnySquadron posted:

SynergiesMOD is all you need for a new playthrough. Everything in the game has been reworked and rebalanced + a ton of new weapons, monsters etc. It's Torchlight 2's Eastern Sun.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Kragger99 posted:

you and I generally love the same types of games. I'm pretty sure you'd quite like this one.

Can't argue with that logic. I'll keep an eye on it. Haven't been Steaming much since Xenoblade 3D released, so it can wait a bit.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Is Consortium any good? It looks pretty intereting from the description and is on weekly sale...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Weeklong deals

The Secret World - $10
Door Kickers - $10
The Cat Lady - $3
Story About My Uncle - $2.59
Lovely Planet - $4
Roundabout - $7.49

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Ryuga Death posted:

I can't even wrap my brain around Crypt of the Necrodancer ever being "Early Access" because it always just seemed like a really solid and polished game that was just getting free updates regularly. I guess the bar was just set so low with the majority of EA games.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Hahah Yea, fockin' EA pricks. Buncha Cunts. Low bar games. Durrr early Access.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

anilEhilated posted:

Is Consortium any good? It looks pretty intereting from the description and is on weekly sale...

It's quite good for what it is. Lots of dialog and cool branching conversations, tons of world-building reading. Kinda lovely shooting (there's not too much, thankfully).

It's a really dope game. Worth getting if you like read-heavy rpgs.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Fenix Rage is half off this week. It's a really good plat...well, I hesitate to say platforming since for the most part you're jumping and dashing infinitely through the levels, ideally without ever touching the ground. It's a fun Meat Boy kind of game where you can finish levels really quickly if you move in the right way.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

PrinnySquadron posted:

Look up "respec potion" and "draw distance extender" so you can respec more than the last 3 points you spent and so enemies don't pop into view inches from your face. Haven't yet played enough to know about bigger mods but those are definitely good.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Palpek posted:

SynergiesMOD is all you need for a new playthrough. Everything in the game has been reworked and rebalanced + a ton of new weapons, monsters etc. It's Torchlight 2's Eastern Sun.

does this make it actually good or just less meh

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Ryuga Death posted:

Quick endorsement: This game, even when it was in EA, is great. At the very least worth picking up in the Summer Sale.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Anyone else not able to add anything to their wishlist? I keep getting this

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Story About My Uncle - $2.59

How is this? I saw an early video on it a year-ish ago and it looked pretty neat.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Is Consortium any good?

Yes.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Awesome! posted:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. For some reason the TL2 never grabbed me and the various mods did not help. I will say the game held my interest the longest when I was playing with the Far East 1 & 2 Packs but that might have been more of the various class/armor flavor that was added in.

Movac
Oct 31, 2012

razorrozar posted:

How is this? I saw an early video on it a year-ish ago and it looked pretty neat.

It's a shined-up student project, so it's thin, short and rough, but it's got a good grappling hook and some cool floaty-rocks environments to swing through. That's a good price if you want to be jetpack Spiderman for a couple hours.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
Some game called Out There Somewhere is 96% off, which is the biggest discount I can recall seeing on Steam.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Awesome! posted:

It makes it less meh, but it doesn't change the fact that it's still utterly boring as a single-player experience.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

razorrozar posted:

It's okay. It's only a few hours long to get through the narrative and any replays you get after that will be for getting the speed/perfect run achievements. Some of the puzzles you do with the laser grappling hook can be neat as the game gets harder and the landscapes can be quite pretty but the characters and their models, the voice acting, and the story itself are all fairly mediocre at best. I guess if you want to play a short puzzle game you could do a lot worse than that one for $2.50.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 20, 2015

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Crashbee posted:

Some game called Out There Somewhere is 96% off, which is the biggest discount I can recall seeing on Steam.

$0.19 and it has cards. Good enough for me!

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ryuga Death posted:

This game is extremely good

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I really wish Crypt of the Necrodancer would add UI prompts for an X360 controller so I don't have to actively think about what items are mapped to what combos and can instead just see a big colored circle and know.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Weeklong deals

Door Kickers - $10

HA! Just bought it yesterday full price. Still seems worth it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Kaubocks posted:

I really wish Crypt of the Necrodancer would add UI prompts for an X360 controller so I don't have to actively think about what items are mapped to what combos and can instead just see a big colored circle and know.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it does show the correct 360 buttons for things. Or do you mean the colours specifically?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

nekoxid posted:

Or you could just throw all the barrels at him (gas -> explosive -> repeat).

I'm pretty sure you could do this in the Namir bossfight (in the original version). You just had to take your Hacked Turret Buddy with you into the lift.

I was playing on the PS3, but I was trying to do this and there was something preventing it from coming along.

I did see some footage on youtube of people using crates for the entire play through, even the boss fights. 2 hours of tossing a crate to beat the one boss. I would have lost my patience or screwed up and died at some point.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
Torchlight 2 took everything that made Diablo-likes good and decided to make every aspect boring.

I don't know if mods fix that part or not but the core game is pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

King Vidiot posted:

I can't even wrap my brain around Crypt of the Necrodancer ever being "Early Access" because it always just seemed like a really solid and polished game that was just getting free updates regularly. I guess the bar was just set so low with the majority of EA games.

Nah, it's always been early access, because it hasn't been a finished game. It has still been a shitload of fun in the state it's been in for the last months, though, and the devs have put in a ton of work updating, tuning, and polishing everything in it.

This is seriously one of the best indie games from the last few years for me, I can't recommend it enough.

• Locked thread