Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Well, now we know why Surma married him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dr Subterfuge posted:

"Why not Jimmy?" seems like it has a pretty straightforward answer. Having an ageless, beautiful, lifelong companion who cuddles with you and caresses you might just get in the way of having stable romantic relationships with other women. Why Anthony was better than nothing though: still baffling.

I'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time. Sometimes you start dating someone with severe character flaws thinking "sure they have problems, but those problems aren't so bad" or "they'll change, I can help them improve" and sometimes you're right and things do get better. Other times you're horribly wrong and your creepy husband goes nuts after you die and starts emotionally abusing your daughter and preforming surgery on her without her consent. Such is life.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Now that you mention it, I wouldn't be surprised if Surma broke up with Jimmy Jims over Jones. Maybe a it's her or me situation, and Eglamore refused to commit which was enough for her, and then she starts dating Tony, and Eglamore is all 'the gently caress did I do?'

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

JT Jag posted:

Now that you mention it, I wouldn't be surprised if Surma broke up with Jimmy Jims over Jones. Maybe a it's her or me situation, and Eglamore refused to commit which was enough for her, and then she starts dating Tony, and Eglamore is all 'the gently caress did I do?'

If that was the case, I don't think the scene with Jones comforting Eglamore while he's all "why the hell did she pick him and not me" would have happened, because that implies that there was never a moment where Eglamore could have opted into that relationship.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Rand Brittain posted:

If that was the case, I don't think the scene with Jones comforting Eglamore while he's all "why the hell did she pick him and not me" would have happened, because that implies that there was never a moment where Eglamore could have opted into that relationship.
He's a bonehead who doesn't realize that he's at fault too, is what that would mean.

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

JT Jag posted:

He's a bonehead who doesn't realize that he's at fault too, is what that would mean.

He probably is at fault but I doubt the decision point was that obvious, since he obviously doesn't know where he went wrong, if in fact it was something he could have affected at all.

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

It's not cute. It's all very serious.
Oh no! Eleventy billion.

A big number!

The biggest number!

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Something that bothers me about the mask is that it's smiling serenely. It's difficult to tell for certain, but Annie seems to be smiling slightly after trying to regain her composure.

Makes me feel like Anthony is involved on an etheric level again :tinfoil:

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

It probably does not mean anything specific but I always found it interesting that the mask is of her as a fire elemental. With the line through the middle of her face and all.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
"I have to..."

Annie seems to have a plan for going along with loving everything her father mandates. I wonder where she thinks this is going.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wulfolme posted:

mandates.

Every time I hear this word my brain starts trying to work out a joke about a day hanging out with the Emperor of China, and everything goes really well and he's really cool and we just have a great old time all day long, because obviously it's the Man Date of Heaven

But I never get to the finished joke, I am a poor jokesman

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

DrSnakeLaser posted:

Something that bothers me about the mask is that it's smiling serenely. It's difficult to tell for certain, but Annie seems to be smiling slightly after trying to regain her composure.

Makes me feel like Anthony is involved on an etheric level again :tinfoil:

It's called putting on a smile, it has nothing to do with etheric mind control magic and everything to do with masking your emotions.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LuiCypher posted:

Antimony is buying into them to get him to stay.
This is probably the main reason she's going along with everything he says. She's scared that if she says no to anything he'll just up and leave again.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Anyone got the page after Surma dumps Eglamore and Jones is all up on him? That page never really sat well with me. Why would Jones be mimicking such an action? It was pretty clearly making him uncomfortable, so she wasn't doing it for him.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1097

I will always be here for you jimmyjims. :smugjones:

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Super Waffle posted:

Anyone got the page after Surma dumps Eglamore and Jones is all up on him? That page never really sat well with me. Why would Jones be mimicking such an action? It was pretty clearly making him uncomfortable, so she wasn't doing it for him.

If I had to guess, I'd say she was just trying to cheer him up (by mimicking "Human Female Platonically Comforts Human Male Over Romantic Disappointment" as best she could), and it didn't really work out. Jones isn't infallible!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

really israel could slaughter all these children without our help, I just didn't want to miss out on the chance to participate

Super Waffle posted:

She was clearly trying to give him a comforting hug. She is really bad at that sort of thing though!

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

She was clearly trying to give him a comforting hug. She is really bad at that sort of thing though!

At least she didn't try to smile at him.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Was I alone in reading 'romantic' intent on Jones' part into that action? Like Eglamore was gettin' it from Surma and Jones? Thinking about it now I'd be happy if that was the wrong interpretation; I always thought that was a strange thing for Jones to be trying to explore with Jimmy Jims. The touchy stuff in the other comics kind of supported it, though.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
I'm kinda surprised there's not more people thinking there's direct etheric fuckery going on in the last page. That's what immediately jumped to mind given the bones/claws in the Treatise page and Tony's previous shenanigans. Like, yes, the mask is Antimony's coping mechanism but it is also directly linked to the induced coma caused by her dad's messing about.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Thesaurasaurus posted:

If I had to guess, I'd say she was just trying to cheer him up (by mimicking "Human Female Platonically Comforts Human Male Over Romantic Disappointment" as best she could), and it didn't really work out. Jones isn't infallible!

I Will Always Be There For You James. Initiating Comforting_Hug.exe

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Wulfolme posted:

Was I alone in reading 'romantic' intent on Jones' part into that action? Like Eglamore was gettin' it from Surma and Jones? Thinking about it now I'd be happy if that was the wrong interpretation; I always thought that was a strange thing for Jones to be trying to explore with Jimmy Jims. The touchy stuff in the other comics kind of supported it, though.

It's possible, tho that would be rather creepy considering she's been taking care of him since he was a child.

himajinga posted:

I'm kinda surprised there's not more people thinking there's direct etheric fuckery going on in the last page. That's what immediately jumped to mind given the bones/claws in the Treatise page and Tony's previous shenanigans. Like, yes, the mask is Antimony's coping mechanism but it is also directly linked to the induced coma caused by her dad's messing about.

It's obviously supposed to invoke the bone spear imagery, but I highly doubt he's actually doing magic brainwashing poo poo. That just seems too comically villainous.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

cartoonish, even

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Wulfolme posted:

The body language and posing seems really romantic.

Isn't she supposed to have a super-dense body? Good thing Jimmy-Jims has super-strength, if there is something romantic going on there she might break his pelvis...

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Kesper North posted:

Isn't she supposed to have a super-dense body?
Yes, along with literally immeasurable crushing power.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

himajinga posted:

I think that's a possible interpretation but I'm not really that keen on Anthony's hold over Antimony being a literal magic spell.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

you know what

The Stone is probably my favourite chapter in this comic still

Although it's totally possible now to see what someone you like dating Anthony would hardcore make you question yourself

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Fangz posted:

I think that's a possible interpretation but I'm not really that keen on Anthony's hold over Antimony being a literal magic spell.

Which is funny, because I feel like it being totally 100% psychological doesn't keep with the mystical/eerie themes of the series. I'm sure it's some weird combination of the two, like her trauma/tendency to regress/repress her feelings and stuff re: her dad makes her more susceptible to etheric psychic tampering or something.

himajinga fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 21, 2015

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

himajinga posted:

Which is funny, because I feel like it being totally 100% psychological doesn't keep with the mystical/eerie themes of the series, I'm sure it's some weird combination of the two.

I dunno. I like the idea that, in a world with deities, crazy murder ghosts, fanatical robots that want to be turned into flesh and so on, one of the most horrifying things in this comic is just a non-magical abusive dad. I don't think this has anything to do with ether, just plain human cruelty/negligence.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Acne Rain posted:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
This thread is on a nice track with the recent bloom of edits.

This, for one, is amazing.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

its beautiful

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Antimony being a literally brainwashed, mind-controlled puppet is the sort of thing I'd expect to see immediately before Professor Disaster jumps in with Antimony's class, guns blazing to lock up supervillain Anthony Carver and save their classmate. It would be loving dumb and in complete disjunction with the serious character of the chapter and the gravity of the situation for Annie.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Acne Rain posted:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
No Kat, we will not deal with it :colbert:

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Well this is just kinda depressing, "Trap our friend in his own body, welp time to forget about that, better just give in to all the dictates of Bad Dad."

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Some types of abuse you can overcome and "win", so to speak.

When the abuser wields tangible, real-world power beyond that over the victim, things become a bit more tricky.

We have no idea what Anthony's "rank" at the school is, he might have the ability to overrule the elder Donlans and make life a nightmare for Kat, too, if she tries to help. And within the comic, the kids don't know either.

Sometimes you just have to survive even if it means "giving up" for the time being.

Froggycleric
May 11, 2013

Don't sully his love with imagined reasons.
We didn't see where she put him, maybe she'll try to sneak him away.

Please Kat for the love of christ sneak him away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I've been thinking... The Torn Sea certainly is perfectly set to serve as a one-last-hurrah sendoff for that set of classmates as frequent characters in the comic.

:(