Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

The answer to "why bother doing swiftcast->flare->convert when I can use swiftcast/convert in times where I gently caress up my rotation" is "don't gently caress up your rotation and you will be able to swiftcast->flare->convert."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Coughing Hobo posted:

Any advice that suggests you Flare less is advice not worth listening to

Any advice that says "avoid doing better DPS because figuring out movement and positioning is haaaaard" is not worth listening to.

In short: don't lower your DPS to prepare for "random bullshit." Doing so basically means that you've given up on trying to do well. Learn how to be aware enough to anticipate bullshit (and most "bullshit" is actually just "predictable mechanics") and deal with it quickly (using Aetherial Manipulation for movement, clipping casts, standing in a place that minimizes how far you'd have to run).

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

itskage posted:

Maybe you can take a few seconds and elaborate on how slipping in a 260 potency flare every 180 seconds is crippling my DPS vs being a couple of useless shits.

Dunno, I feel like they were at least entertaining. I wouldn't use the term "useless"

And if I had to guess, the problem with your advice is you withhold potential dps for a "what if" scenario, and that advice is, in general, not good.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

itskage posted:

Maybe you can take a few seconds and elaborate on how slipping in a 260 potency flare every 180 seconds is crippling my DPS vs being a couple of useless shits.
It was an emergency

your posting was so bad it was inverse useful and you had to be shot down to save humanity from your anecdotal garbage

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

A good week.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Bauxite posted:

Dunno, I feel like they were at least entertaining. I wouldn't use the term "useless"

And if I had to guess, the problem with your advice is you withhold potential dps for a "what if" scenario, and that advice is, in general, not good.

Yeah you're right. Now I know they're assholes?

Anyway one line replies from you guys was far better. But like I said in my post, ceteris paribus, yeah it is better to flare.

I've only been 50 for like 4-ish weeks now. My ilvl is 104 and I haven't done any coils yet. So content isn't the same, and pug ST runs are a lot different than the same situations bleeding edge static groups are dealing with. My experiences are different.

Basically I was hoping for "Hey no try to work in flare, it accounts for X% of your DPS, check out this parse" and not "git gud lol"

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
It's pretty common for people in this thread who are fresh 50 to start throwing out advice and then for their advice to get destroyed and a suitable answer not provided because we talked about it 200 pages ago and people won't stop asking.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i can't do three mudras in one gcd and it's loving up my rotation so i'm just gonna not do them

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
Don't feel bad itskage. Instead, enjoy an amusing read: http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27462

Then take a moment and realize that you were probably better off without a worthwhile answer from ilifinnicus.

Fakedit: As awful as the OF is for all online games, this thread and the links in the op are super super helpful and if you dig around you can even find dps guides for specific turns of the current content - there's a blm in there showing from her perspective doing like 550 dps on t11, and stuff like that. The spreadsheet part was linked already but even the thread has some gems.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/113691-The-Ultimate-Black-Mage-Resources-with-Damage-Calculator

2 SPOOKY fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 20, 2015

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Belzac posted:

Acc is more important than primary stat in this game.

Do you play this game? Acc has a massive difference in just your basic ability to push buttons. Missing any part of your rotation is dps suicide for every class and flat out raid wipe for a tank if it's in their first 5 attacks.

I bet you liked or would like reforging.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Holyshoot posted:

I bet you liked or would like reforging.

Reforging was bad cause you just took the stat that sucked and turned half of into the stat that's good. I'm against dumping all your stats into the good stat and since acc is one step of having to at least say "ok how much stat can I dump into the good stat while still managing this other stat" I'm for acc. SS is also cool for Warriors and I'd like more stats like that. I was a fan of Haste soft cap in WoW.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Vahalla posted:

Don't feel bad itskage. Instead, enjoy an amusing read: http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27462

Then take a moment and realize that you were probably better off without a worthwhile answer from ilifinnicus.

Fakedit: As awful as the OF is for all online games, this thread and the links in the op are super super helpful and if you dig around you can even find dps guides for specific turns of the current content - there's a blm in there showing from her perspective doing like 550 dps on t11, and stuff like that. The spreadsheet part was linked already but even the thread has some gems.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/113691-The-Ultimate-Black-Mage-Resources-with-Damage-Calculator

Thanks for this. I've looked on reddit and FFGoons but both of them still have some unresolved areas. I didn't think to look on the official boards.

As a new player it appears to be really easy to get bad advice. Even reading reddit where the best advice is theoretically pushed tot he top, it seem to get into situations where people can't agree on when to use Thunder 1/2/3, when to use flare (if at all), or if it is suggested to use it and transpose and wait for your ticks. Then you also seem to get different advice depending on the time the advice was posted. I guess there was a time we didn't flare because it sucked, and now we flare, but Fire and Fire 3 was buffed too or something so flare is less important?

It's all over the place.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

itskage posted:

Thanks for this. I've looked on reddit and FFGoons but both of them still have some unresolved areas. I didn't think to look on the official boards.

As a new player it appears to be really easy to get bad advice. Even reading reddit where the best advice is theoretically pushed tot he top, it seem to get into situations where people can't agree on when to use Thunder 1/2/3, when to use flare (if at all), or if it is suggested to use it and transpose and wait for your ticks. Then you also seem to get different advice depending on the time the advice was posted. I guess there was a time we didn't flare because it sucked, and now we flare, but Fire and Fire 3 was buffed too or something so flare is less important?

It's all over the place.

Yeah, I've noticed that googling for info returns lots of lovely advice that's either: 1) From several patches ago and may or may not be relevant anymore, 2) just plain bad and dumb, or 3) both.

Your best bet is just to ask here or on ffgoons and hope that somebody helpful answers you before the resident jerks do

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

The best advice is run a parser and set DPS goals for yourself in content, take the advice that helps you get to those goals, and be aware of how the numbers fluctuate based on what you do. Eventually you will be able to pick and choose what methods work best for how you play and let you play at a level you are comfortable with.

Like there's a lot of good advice and bad advice out there, and the best way to find out which is good is a combination of watching good players (look up YouTube and Twitch streams) and trial and error on your own part. Sometimes it's just about getting things down to muscle memory, sometimes its about optimizing per-fight, sometimes it's just smashing your head against a DPS wall.

Honestly if you're keeping up with mechanics yet still doing 300+ DPS on most classes you are well on your way to doing well.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 20, 2015

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Thumbtacks posted:

i can't do three mudras in one gcd and it's loving up my rotation so i'm just gonna not do them

You'd still be better than half the ninjas out there if you kept your dots up.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Fire is, hands down, your best spell now as a BLM. Flare is better than Fire 2 except in terms of efficiency (although you can cast Flare when you don't have enough MP for Fire 2). Fire 3 is strictly an opener, when Firestarter procs, or you're switching from ice stacks to fire stacks. This has changed over patches but that is the current dynamic with the way stacks of Astral Fire work.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
Ill try not to beat the dead blm rotation horse, but your opener should look something like this for single targets:

T3 timed to hit as the tank pulls, F3, F1 (Raging Strikes), F1 (X-potion), F1 [repeat until unable], (Swiftcast) Flare (Convert), F1, B3.

From there the rotation is very simple and has been posted many times in this thread. Just remember a few tips:

Never cancel casts to use a proc.
T3 is for pull and thundercloud, use T1 or 2 depending on Peity and mana total between Astral Fire and Umbral ice, but never delay a cast to wait for mana.
Use thundercloud procs after Fire 1 to force checks for firestarter procs.
If you get a firestarter proc after you enter Umbral Ice, transpose back to Astral Fire, use the proc, then B3 to go back to Ice.

That's what I've been able to gather, so far. I am by no means an expert, so grains of salt etc etc.

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

Some BLMs don't realize this but being in umbral III shortens fire 3 cast time and vice versa so don't use swiftcast for f3 when you're in umbral III.

big sperma shot
Jan 13, 2011

Big Cock Jerk Off with MASSIVE cum shot.

itskage posted:

It's all over the place.

i gotchu holmes
on an AOE heavy fight like t12 (and t10... and t13...) your flare will look like this

yo here's the tl;dr
you wanna be flaring as much as possible whenever there's 2 targets or more because it's Big Damage
a sustained AOE rotation is gonna look like (after your opener):
fire 3 -> fire 2 -> fire 2 -> flare -> transpose -> repeat (even on 2 targets this is better than fire 3 -> fire 1 -> flare unless you're trying to burn a specific mob down)
at higher level's of spsd you're gonna have to wait a split second before casting f3 in order to get 2 mana ticks

when convert is on cd, use swiftcast to:
1. get max AF as soon as the boss comes back from being untargetable
2. dodge mechanics
3. skip flare's long-rear end casting time
transitioning from flare into a single target rotation you go flare -> transpose -> blizzard 3 -> thunder1/blizz1 depending on current dot on mob -> fire 3
use thunder 1, thunder 3 on procs, open with fire3
for purely single target fights (which are pretty rare) 99% of the time you should only be flaring paired with swift/convert/raging (ignoring boss going untargetable transitions and stuff like that) and yeah it's not such a big part of your damage but it's still a dps gain and i believe in u
i know the thought of loving up flare/transpose and sitting at 0 mana is scary but u can do it... u can be the Swolest Mage....................

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Thank you thread for reminding me that I need to figure out aetheric manipulation so I'm not running around like some kind of... melee dps and to keep the flares coming

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
whats the best set of pvp skills to use as paladin?

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
God, conflicting advice everywhere on AoE rotation efficiency. I heard 2 targets for awhile then it was 3+, now it's 2 again? Pairs of adds are pretty common so this is relevant to my interests.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Farg posted:

1. There isn't a set you use all of them all the time and just pick which ones you want to buff up.
2. You rename your BLM set "PLD PVP" and just click that when you want to pvp.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Vahalla posted:

God, conflicting advice everywhere on AoE rotation efficiency. I heard 2 targets for awhile then it was 3+, now it's 2 again? Pairs of adds are pretty common so this is relevant to my interests.

Find the angriest, swearingest goon that you can and follow their advice (if they give any)

KoB
May 1, 2009

Farg posted:

Just make sure all your VIT gear is equipped and get in there and cast provoke as much as possible.

big sperma shot
Jan 13, 2011

Big Cock Jerk Off with MASSIVE cum shot.

Vahalla posted:

yeah i always did fire 1 for 2 targets and fire 2 for 3+, but apparently ??? fire 2 (x2) is better for even 2 targets so i dunno what the gently caress anymore
but yeah that's what the math says, haven't gotten a chance to try it out
firestarter rng is a factor too but assuming perfect 40% chance, or 2 firestarters per 5 rotations, the fire 1 rotation on 2 targets is 135.9 PPS and the double fire 2 rotation is 138.67 PPS
the fire 2 rotation is also affected by spsd up to a point (when you have enough to fit in f3 f2 f2 flare in 12 seconds) unlike the fire 1, which is hard locked to 12 seconds thanks to transpose BUT IDK

big sperma shot fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 20, 2015

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Napkin math has Fire 2 on 2 targets doing 200 potency of damage for 3 second cast time = 66.67 potency/sec. Fire 1 is 170 potency for 2.5 second cast time = 68 potency/sec. Both should scale equally with the various percentage buffs.

Firestarter procs (these are in favor of Fire 1) and various MP efficiency concerns (ask an expert) undoubtedly gently caress with that. As a non-expert I'd probably single-target in that situation (though obviously throw in a Flare at the end).

For 3+ targets it's a much clearer sell in favor of Fire 2, provided there isn't a Dangerous Or Annoying Thing which needs to be burned down first.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

itskage posted:

Basically I'm saying balls to the the wall blowing those cool downs for flare is probably more DPS, but saving them for gently caress ups and phase transitions seems to work better for me.

itskage posted:

Get hosed assholes. Belzac, for all his faults is far more helpful than you dicks.

itskage posted:

As a new player it appears to be really easy to get bad advice.

Thanks for the laugh before work, this was a great day to wake up and read the thread.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vil posted:

Napkin math has Fire 2 on 2 targets doing 200 potency of damage for 3 second cast time = 66.67 potency/sec. Fire 1 is 170 potency for 2.5 second cast time = 68 potency/sec. Both should scale equally with the various percentage buffs.

Firestarter procs (these are in favor of Fire 1) and various MP efficiency concerns (ask an expert) undoubtedly gently caress with that. As a non-expert I'd probably single-target in that situation (though obviously throw in a Flare at the end).

For 3+ targets it's a much clearer sell in favor of Fire 2, provided there isn't a Dangerous Or Annoying Thing which needs to be burned down first.

Fire 2 is just filler for when Transpose is down, and with good spell speed the rotation is 2 Fire 2s and 1 Flare every 12 seconds, plus an ice-aspected Fire 3 on a single target. When you factor that in, it works out clearly in favor of the AOE rotation for 2 targets.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Belzac posted:

Reforging was bad cause you just took the stat that sucked and turned half of into the stat that's good. I'm against dumping all your stats into the good stat and since acc is one step of having to at least say "ok how much stat can I dump into the good stat while still managing this other stat" I'm for acc. SS is also cool for Warriors and I'd like more stats like that. I was a fan of Haste soft cap in WoW.

Soft caps on stats are fine. It would be nice if we had those.
Hard caps are just obnoxious, especially when the effect of the stat is higher than every other stat you could be using instead by a large margin, right up until cap.

itskage posted:

Basically I was hoping for "Hey no try to work in flare, it accounts for X% of your DPS, check out this parse" and not "git gud lol"

That's really the answer though? If you keep saving what amount to DPS cooldowns to fix your rotation when you mess it up, you should focus on messing it up less and using your cooldowns to max your DPS so that when you finally aren't dropping your rotation you're already used to using swift-flare-convert appropriately. It's like if a NIN decided to just sit on Kassatsu until he flubbed his mudras and never used it to do more damage.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Top Tier BLM Rotation:
1) Level Lancer to 50.
2) Switch to playing best class Dragoon.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
hi hello i have ninja questions

1. i keep dancing edge on all the time (provided the tanks don't use storm's eye), right?
2. should i reapply dots after dancing edge? I don't know what counts as slashing damage so I don't know if it will affect it at all.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
All dots in the game are unaspected for resistances. But the base hits of the DoT skills is slashing.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Having your dots fall off is worse than having suboptimal dots up, and cutting your dots too short to place more optimal ones is almost as bad

However you should know that this is something of a monk debate people will literally come to blows over

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Belzac posted:

All dots in the game are unaspected for resistances. But the base hits of the DoT skills is slashing.

oh well i dont' give a poo poo if the initial hit does 10% less damage as long as it won't affect the rest of the dot

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
This is true for most dots in the game but when Fracture does 40% of it's damage from the base hit people get mad.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Between Blood for Blood, Mercy Stroke, Invigorate, Foresight and Bloodbath I just don't see how I can afford to crossclass Fracture on my Monk. :shrug:

vvv But then how can I be terrible and ignore fight mechanics without a negligible amount of increased survivability?

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 21, 2015

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

fount of knowledge posted:

Foresight and Bloodbath

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

hi hello i have ninja questions

1. i keep dancing edge on all the time (provided the tanks don't use storm's eye), right?
2. should i reapply dots after dancing edge? I don't know what counts as slashing damage so I don't know if it will affect it at all.

Iirc you get a slight damage boost for having DE up when you hit mutilate. You can probably ignore it if you're not doing cutting edge content. That said, I don't do cutting edge content and I still put DE up before mutilate.

But yeah you should keep DE up as long as you don't have a Warrior/do have a Warrior who doesn't uses Storm's Eye or keeps it up unreliably .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Paladin that never used an oath and died 8 times in a single frontline

:gonk:

• Locked thread