Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Depends on whether you pronounce "wrestling" as two syllables or three.

I guess you could also shorten "W" to "dubya" and that works as well.

Dubya-See-Dubya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
W is such a stupid loving letter

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Mercury Crusader posted:

WWF, WWE, and World Wrestling Federation are all the same number of syllables so I don't see why they don't just keep saying "World Wrestling Federation" in regards to the past.

Probably because they'd have to use the word wrestling. And if there's one thing I've learned from that Steve Austin/McMahon interview, and years of Jim Cornette talking poo poo about Kevin Dunn*, it's that WWE doesn't consider themselves wrestling.

*WWE Executive Vice President, Television Production; Bucky Beaver Motherfucker

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Mercury Crusader posted:

Dubya-See-Dubya

Somehow Jericho of all people became the best at doing this. If you listen to any of his promos from his last few runs, he pronounces "Dubyudubyuee" smoother and faster than pretty much anyone else.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mercury Crusader posted:

Dubya-See-Dubya

The Duya-See-Dubya

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just got this for the trial. Everyone raves about NXT, so where should I start with that?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Unlucky7 posted:

Just got this for the trial. Everyone raves about NXT, so where should I start with that?

Watch the recent specials - NXT Takeover, Takeover: Fatal 4-way, and Takeover: Rival (and optionally the recap episodes before them to be filled in on the feuds going in) and you'll be mostly up to speed with the current roster and feuds. From there if you really like what you see you could watch the weekly shows from Rival to present and be fully caught up, or other people could recommend a few highlight episodes from recent weekly shows as some can be pretty forgettable.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Blasmeister posted:

Watch the recent specials - NXT Takeover, Takeover: Fatal 4-way, and Takeover: Rival (and optionally the recap episodes before them to be filled in on the feuds going in) and you'll be mostly up to speed with the current roster and feuds. From there if you really like what you see you could watch the weekly shows from Rival to present and be fully caught up, or other people could recommend a few highlight episodes from recent weekly shows as some can be pretty forgettable.

Yo don't forget about the greatest of them all, Takeover: R-Evolution (also the worst named)

21 Hoot Salute fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 19, 2015

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
All of the Takeover specials are excellent, so yeah, watch those.

Track down the Sami Zayn/Cesaro series too. I think those all happened on NXT TV.

[edit]except the last one, which was Arrival.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 19, 2015

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

21 Hoot Salute posted:

Yo don't forget about the greatest of them all, Takeover: R-Evolution (also the worst named)

poo poo, I did forget that one. I deliberately neglected to mention ArRival, as that has very few people still in NXT, and I think Cesaro/Zayn gets recapped elsewhere anyway

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I know they are probably terrible, but I wish they'd put the old NXT episodes on the Network. Can you still watch them all on Hulu?

wagnike2
May 31, 2007

Lucha LaBOOM
Yea, the first Hulu show is the February 23, 2010 edition of NXT. So it goes back a long time.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Probably because they'd have to use the word wrestling. And if there's one thing I've learned from that Steve Austin/McMahon interview, and years of Jim Cornette talking poo poo about Kevin Dunn*, it's that WWE doesn't consider themselves wrestling.

*WWE Executive Vice President, Television Production; Bucky Beaver Motherfucker

World W Entertainment

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Mercury Crusader posted:

World W Entertainment

World WSportsEntertainment Entertainment

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Mercury Crusader posted:

World W Entertainment

Are they still World Wrestling Entertainment? I thought they pulled a KFC and WWE no longer stands for anything.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
See also TLC, MTV, VH1, AMC...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

wagnike2 posted:

Yea, the first Hulu show is the February 23, 2010 edition of NXT. So it goes back a long time.

I actually don't see the first shows at Full Sail on there.

Looks like the first Full Sail show was June 20, 2012. On Hulu... Season 5 Ep 26 ends on June 13, 2012. Season 6 picks up at the Sept 26th, 2012 show.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I want more ECW exposed stuff. The two episodes of it I saw were pretty light on content but I want more Heyman and Styles screwing around on a show Vince probably doesn't even know exists.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I first bought the network shortly after launch and since then made an effort to watch every episode of Raw from the start. Got to May 1996 and now that they've finally put up Attitude Era Raw I've gone against my plan and skipped 18 months to December 97.

I'm entrigued to see if it holds up after all this time because 13 year old me would be gutted. I love how the start of the era, they are clearly still torn whether or not to go fully into it. Seeing The Sultan ten minutes after Marc Mero's domestic abuse angle baffles me.

NXT and Attitude Raw are worth 9.99 alone.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I've been watching that Monday Night Wars mini-series documentary, knowing full well how biased it was going to be. Namely, I knew they were just going to glaze over the whole Black Saturday thing like it was some kind of misunderstanding. When WWFE buys out and guts a territory to get around a "no" answer for a TV time slot, that's just business. When WCW starts hiring away WWFE talent, Ted Turner is literally stealing food from the McMahon family's mouths.

It's just funny to see how they interpret certain events. History is written by the victors and all that.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Shinjobi posted:

I want more ECW exposed stuff. The two episodes of it I saw were pretty light on content but I want more Heyman and Styles screwing around on a show Vince probably doesn't even know exists.

Joey Styles either legitimately somewhat hates Paul Heyman, or he's a really good actor. He looked like he was 2 seconds from exploding with an angry rant at Paul the whole time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mercury Crusader posted:

I've been watching that Monday Night Wars mini-series documentary, knowing full well how biased it was going to be. Namely, I knew they were just going to glaze over the whole Black Saturday thing like it was some kind of misunderstanding. When WWFE buys out and guts a territory to get around a "no" answer for a TV time slot, that's just business. When WCW starts hiring away WWFE talent, Ted Turner is literally stealing food from the McMahon family's mouths.

It's just funny to see how they interpret certain events. History is written by the victors and all that.

Other than Ole the owners of GCW wanted to sell to Vince, they were sick of business going down. It was a shocking thing when it happened but much less hostile than most of Vince's moves.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Does the Network have a place for Coliseum Video stuff that isn't attached to a TV show or a pay-per-view? I just read about Bret Hart's first title win in his book, which was taped in my hometown arena in Saskatoon on October 12, 1992, exclusively for a VHS release called "WWF: Smack 'Em Whack 'Em". I would be interested to see the rest of the card from that night, or barring that, the matches that were on that Coliseum Video tape, and thought maybe the Network might have them tucked in somewhere.

The Hart vs Flair match itself is easily found on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k44A2oDGO4A

I found a couple of records of Superstars episodes that were shot the same day (ugh, this sounds like a stinker of a card):
http://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=12618

And finally, the list of matches that were on that tape:
Berzerker vs. Crush
Repo Man vs. Earthquake
Bret Hart vs. Ric Flair (WWF title)
Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels (ladder match) -- this has to be Summerslam '92
Bret Hart vs. Kamala
Razor Ramon vs. Undertaker

Any chance the Network would be able to solve either of my questions?

Bemon Lime
Apr 21, 2007

Tell me, Kazushi Sakuraba.
Do you bleed?
I'd like to call attention to the December 7th, 1998 edition of Monday Night Raw. The episode in which Austin gets crucified by the Undertaker. Why is the commentary team King and Cole when you clearly see King and JR at the announce table? What gives? What other noticeable things have "they" changed and for what sinister purpose?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bemon Lime posted:

I'd like to call attention to the December 7th, 1998 edition of Monday Night Raw. The episode in which Austin gets crucified by the Undertaker. Why is the commentary team King and Cole when you clearly see King and JR at the announce table? What gives? What other noticeable things have "they" changed and for what sinister purpose?

That was probably a taped show right after his Bells Palsy flare up. They would have the announcers at the desk but then record commentary later on.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Didn't they also have to redub the VO for that episode to refer to it as a "Symbol" instead of a cross or something stupid?

Why the gently caress do I remember small things like this from almost 20 years ago...

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
I really wish I knew why only Old WCW PPV's freeze constantly for me!

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Astro7x posted:

Didn't they also have to redub the VO for that episode to refer to it as a "Symbol" instead of a cross or something stupid?

Why the gently caress do I remember small things like this from almost 20 years ago...

they never called it a cross on TV, they called it a symbol since it was, quite literally, an undertaker symbol

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I've been watching old wccw episodes on the network and man I really love these. There just isn't anything produced like this anymore.

I'm also a mark for anything with the great Kabuki.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

The_Rob posted:

I've been watching old wccw episodes on the network and man I really love these. There just isn't anything produced like this anymore.

Closest thing these days to the old territories is CWF Mid-Atlantic but it's certainly more Carolinas than Texas.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I really wish I knew why only Old WCW PPV's freeze constantly for me!

Yet another way for Vince to gently caress with WCW

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

those wccw eps were probably the first thing i marathon watched on the network. the world class doc does not lie when it states that the show was top of the line for its time. michael ps hayes does not lie -- watch the tapes.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Bemon Lime posted:

MRT is right, but to expand. Raw was taped a week earlier because WWF went on a UK tour. They ran a UK PPV on the 6th which is when JR had a recurrence of Bells Palsy.

JR couldn't redub any lines, so they just put in Cole.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've been going back and forth on whether to resubscribe to the Network for a second month. I don't love it or use it that much but there's enough I'm mildly curious about along with NXT that I could justify giving it at least one more month. But my main problem is that the qualify of the streams seems to be so unstable. Right now I'm staring at a really terrible quality play of an old NXT episode that makes it almost worth not watching. Its also paused/buffered once already and I've had a number of cases where that happens so much that I just can't watch. Meanwhile Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO On Demand, etc are all working fine so it very much feels like a WWE Network issue instead of my internet or whatever.

Is this common or am I just having terrible luck? It seems really weird that archived stuff would be this finicky this consistently when the Network's been going as long as it has.

Also, there doesn't seem to be any easy way for me to watch episode to episode. I have to go into NXT each time and scroll to where I left off. That's not a massive problem but it seems like a weird flaw that like every other streaming service has addressed. Am I just missing something?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I have the exact opposite problem. My stream has never been anything but perfect but I feel like I've watched almost everything I want to watch. I wish they had a more regular slate of new content that came online regularly beyond just the PPV's and things.

It's such a complicated process to re-sub though that I mostly keep it out of convenience now.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Hulu Plus is a good alternative if you just want to watch NXT. It's 2 bucks less per month and includes a ton of shows and movies.

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

Guignol posted:

Does the Network have a place for Coliseum Video stuff that isn't attached to a TV show or a pay-per-view? I just read about Bret Hart's first title win in his book, which was taped in my hometown arena in Saskatoon on October 12, 1992, exclusively for a VHS release called "WWF: Smack 'Em Whack 'Em". I would be interested to see the rest of the card from that night, or barring that, the matches that were on that Coliseum Video tape, and thought maybe the Network might have them tucked in somewhere.

The Hart vs Flair match itself is easily found on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k44A2oDGO4A

I found a couple of records of Superstars episodes that were shot the same day (ugh, this sounds like a stinker of a card):
http://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=12618

And finally, the list of matches that were on that tape:
Berzerker vs. Crush
Repo Man vs. Earthquake
Bret Hart vs. Ric Flair (WWF title)
Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels (ladder match) -- this has to be Summerslam '92
Bret Hart vs. Kamala
Razor Ramon vs. Undertaker

Any chance the Network would be able to solve either of my questions?

None of that's been added as of yet. The Hart vs. Michaels ladder match is, upon checking, only on the Hart vs. Michaels Greatest Rivalries DVD set. It was only taped for that VHS originally, and an attempt to show management how a Ladder Match works, a full year and a half before it was used for the Michaels vs. Ramon Wrestlemania X match.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

That set and a shitload of other ones were $6.99 on bluray at FYE recently if you have one near you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

STAC Goat posted:

Its also paused/buffered once already and I've had a number of cases where that happens so much that I just can't watch. Meanwhile Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO On Demand, etc are all working fine so it very much feels like a WWE Network issue instead of my internet or whatever.

What are you watching it on? The 360 is terrible. My Amazon FireTV Stick and Computer work fine.