Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Sony Z4 announced. Smaller battery, Snapdragon 810, 32GB base, capless MicroUSB, no magnetic charging and no Qi. This one may be a pass in the end... maybe I'll just move up to the Z3 on the cheap and get the Qi case.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...gnature-design/

No information about a Z4 Compact, that's too bad I've been hovering over the buy from Amazon button for days now on the Z3 Compact as I love my Moto X 2013 but the short battery life/poor camera has been driving me nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Sony HTC'd us. Take existing product. Add overheating processor that's throttled to death. Don't add compelling anything. Put it up for sale in a vacuum and tell everyone to deal.

Good thing the M8 and Z3 are relatively cheap now.

Good luck to them.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 20, 2015

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm waiting for the LG G4 announcement on the 28th, then decide between that and the S6...or ride out with my N4 until the fall releases.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

whiteshark12 posted:

Since upgrading to lollipop and apps have gained the ability to change the colour of the notification bar, all of the google ones work correctly but a whole bunch of other apps change it to a horrific neon blue, I imagine because they're not updated. How can I change the default colour back to black?

You don't. Email the dev of the app to correct it.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

hotsauce posted:

Sony HTC'd us. Take existing product. Add overhearing processor that's throttled to death. Don't add compelling anything. Put it up for sale in a vacuum and tell everyone to deal.

Good luck to them.

But there's an image stabilized front camera for taking less blurry selfies. :downs:

Also it turns out that the camera is disappointingly poor compared to the iPhone 6 and Galaxy S5, S6, and Note 4. I guess it's not a Sony if they don't fully leverage functions and features from their other divisions who are actually good at implementing them.

And I still need to get my Z3c sent in to get the flap and magnetic charging port fixed. Now I'm thinking I should have opted for the full size Z3 and the Qi case.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Edward IV posted:

But there's an image stabilized front camera for taking less blurry selfies. :downs:

Also it turns out that the camera is disappointingly poor compared to the iPhone 6 and Galaxy S5, S6, and Note 4. I guess it's not a Sony if they don't fully leverage functions and features from their other divisions who are actually good at implementing them.

And I still need to get my Z3c sent in to get the flap and magnetic charging port fixed. Now I'm thinking I should have opted for the full size Z3 and the Qi case.

Case is a flip case though and doesn't appear to be any third-party ones available. That's putting me off on the Z3 also. Also, apparently one of the big improvements have been to optimize the camera for taking pictures of food?? :confused:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TraderStav posted:

Case is a flip case though and doesn't appear to be any third-party ones available. That's putting me off on the Z3 also. Also, apparently one of the big improvements have been to optimize the camera for taking pictures of food?? :confused:

Taking pictures of your food is so 2012, but it's funny when manufacturers do this - social fads move too fast to really be good design guidance yet they keep trying. Then again, optimized for food hopefully means good color reproduction in suboptimal lighting conditions so maybe they hit a target they weren't aiming at.

E: isn't one of Sony's strengths (in their camera camera products at least) color fidelity? Do they make the sensors for their phones?

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 20, 2015

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

TraderStav posted:

What are you supposed to with the food, eat it like some savage Philistine?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
What's the goon recommendation for a glass screen protector on a Nexus 6?

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Stick100 posted:

No information about a Z4 Compact, that's too bad I've been hovering over the buy from Amazon button for days now on the Z3 Compact as I love my Moto X 2013 but the short battery life/poor camera has been driving me nuts.

I've just made this transition today. I'll try to write up some thoughts on the Z3C as coming from a Moto X 2013 in a week or so once I've had more time with the phone. (If I remember to :v: )

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Maker Of Shoes posted:

What's the goon recommendation for a glass screen protector on a Nexus 6?

I bought http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NWL33OO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it's not bad. The two corners at the bottom didn't apply 100% perfectly, but they haven't gotten worse in three months, so I haven't bothered to do anything about it. Glass part seems nice?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Surprise T Rex posted:

I've just made this transition today. I'll try to write up some thoughts on the Z3C as coming from a Moto X 2013 in a week or so once I've had more time with the phone. (If I remember to :v: )

Did you purchase one of the International (No US Warranty ones)? They are about $100 cheaper but reports of glass breaking on the back make me wary.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Anything I should know before I upgrade to 5.1? Nexus 4, currently running 5.0.1.

Basically, what breaks?

EDIT: vvvv Sorry :ohdear:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 20, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Anything I should know before I upgrade to 5.1? Nexus 4, currently running 5.0.1.

Basically, what breaks?

You will break the Android thread by asking about it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Basically, what breaks?

EDIT: vvvv Sorry :ohdear:

Software-wise, the update's been find on my phone. Although it's hard to tell when I can hardly use it since I can barely keep it charged (USB port's flaking out).

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

kitten smoothie posted:

You will break the Android thread by asking about it.
It's actually a lollipop feature

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

FAUXTON posted:

Taking pictures of your food is so 2012, but it's funny when manufacturers do this - social fads move too fast to really be good design guidance yet they keep trying. Then again, optimized for food hopefully means good color reproduction in suboptimal lighting conditions so maybe they hit a target they weren't aiming at.

E: isn't one of Sony's strengths (in their camera camera products at least) color fidelity? Do they make the sensors for their phones?

As far I understand it, they make the sensors for quite a few phones.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Just got a Note 3 Neo and it's awesome. Fast, Classy as hell, well protected and still thin with the S view cover too. Looks like real leather and stitching, for 25 bucks, and it includes wireless charging. Tremedous value.
The standard back was nice too, not slippery at all like my iPhone 5S, if a bit tacky up close (fake stitching).
This thing makes typing on the 5S feels like torture.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I would've thought the 5s would be nicer than a note 3 neo. Kudos to Samsung for calling the budget version ”new."

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Reverse Centaur posted:

I would've thought the 5s would be nicer than a note 3 neo. Kudos to Samsung for calling the budget version ”new."

It's called "Lite" in this market actually, which is pretty honest.
The 5s is nice, but it's tiny, slippery and costs twice as much... Terrible value.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Are the AOSP web browser and email client a thing anymore? My company seems to be hellbent on testing with them instead of Chrome and Gmail on Android.

I think I remember reading that Google was phasing them out, but I might have made that up in my head...

e: Sorry if this is more of an app question than an OS question.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Mogomra posted:

Are the AOSP web browser and email client a thing anymore? My company seems to be hellbent on testing with them instead of Chrome and Gmail on Android.

I think I remember reading that Google was phasing them out, but I might have made that up in my head...

e: Sorry if this is more of an app question than an OS question.

The AOSP browser has been dead for while. Email is more recent but still dead.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The AOSP browser has been dead for while. Email is more recent but still dead.

That's what I thought. Thanks!

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I bought a Nexus-branded Qi charger direct from the Google Play store for my toddler's Nexus 7. I didn't realize the top layer of the charger was glass, so when it got knocked on the floor, of course, it shattered.

Google isn't giving me anything regarding repairing these. Any suggestions beyond just putting scotch tape across the glass top of it and hoping it still works?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
There honestly shouldn't be any reason that the glass is part of the function of the charger. The coil underneath is the actual interface. I'd put some packing tape over it to avoid cutting yourself, and give it a shot.

For a better looking DIY fix, find some thin acrylic or other clear plastic and cut it to the shape of the glass, and replace the glass with it. Then you get to look at the guts!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

They do tend to get quite hot though, you could be setting yourself up for some fiery death

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'd opt for a non-glass Qi charger, considering it's being used by a toddler and all.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

whiteshark12 posted:

Since upgrading to lollipop and apps have gained the ability to change the colour of the notification bar, all of the google ones work correctly but a whole bunch of other apps change it to a horrific neon blue, I imagine because they're not updated. How can I change the default colour back to black?

Black is the default, if it's gone blue, it's deliberate.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Rusty! posted:

Black is the default, if it's gone blue, it's deliberate.
Since he just got Lollipop, he's probably got a Samsung device. I remember the bar being blue on those.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

enojy posted:

I'd opt for a non-glass Qi charger, considering it's being used by a toddler and all.

Yeah, I'm going to get a different one for him to use. It looks like the upcoming Ikea ones might be a good choice. I was going to use this one for our new phones.

Skarsnik posted:

They do tend to get quite hot though, you could be setting yourself up for some fiery death

Thanks, I didn't know they got hot. That makes tape maybe not the greatest idea.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Stick100 posted:

Did you purchase one of the International (No US Warranty ones)? They are about $100 cheaper but reports of glass breaking on the back make me wary.

I'm in the UK, I think maybe that means yes, but I don't know if the European one I probably have is different in some way to the one you're talking about.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Surprise T Rex posted:

I'm in the UK, I think maybe that means yes, but I don't know if the European one I probably have is different in some way to the one you're talking about.

Oh yes, that's the version that is $120 cheaper in the US than the same version with a US warranty.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

butt dickus posted:

Since he just got Lollipop, he's probably got a Samsung device. I remember the bar being blue on those.

Websites can customize Chrome's top bar colour, maybe he means that? Androidpolice.com for example.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

hotsauce posted:

Sony HTC'd us. Take existing product. Add overheating processor that's throttled to death. Don't add compelling anything. Put it up for sale in a vacuum and tell everyone to deal.

Good thing the M8 and Z3 are relatively cheap now.

Good luck to them.
Yup.
Are we actually hoping for a good device from LG as the last chance of the season?

Guess the folks who grabbed N6s made the right call.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

ilkhan posted:

Yup.
Are we actually hoping for a good device from LG as the last chance of the season?

Guess the folks who grabbed N6s made the right call.

Android Phone Thread - A vintage of Moto X for every budget

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

ilkhan posted:

Yup.

Looks like the G4 will be essentially the same thing - similar to the previous gen but with an 810 added

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I got my Z3 compact.

It's fast, it's pretty, it does what I want. I'm surprised how good the Sony apps are to be honest. Their walkman app is the only app (other than poweramp) that actually has gapless playback.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
G4 is reported to be using the 808, a cut down version of the 810.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Android Phone Thread - A vintage of Moto X for every budget

The Droid Turbo/Moto Maxx, Galaxy S6/E, or Note 4 are the phones to get for now. Sorry about your lots everyone else!

e: quick survey

Anyone who's on the current Google Play Services (7.3.29-ish) doesn't matter what phone ... has your "Ok Google" detection options gone away?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Somewhere along the line Google Now thought I would be interested in receiving cards on Pakistani Cricket. The strange thing is that the cards do not have the usual menu option to say that I am not interested in receiving these any longer and when I access my options under Sports no such team/sport is listed in there to deselect. Any other ideas on how to remove this card? It's a minor thing, but really don't need to see it...