Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

Where do you live that 50k is standard for helpdesk?

Austin, if the employer is high tech enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

MJP posted:

Manhattan, if you've got some experience.

I was thinking it had to be either that or San Francisco. Going rate is like $30-35K around here.

Edit: Or Austin, yeah.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

KillHour posted:

It depends on the cost of living in the area and the actual responsibilities. Bloomberg in SF is paying more than that.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

So, one of my colleagues, just got an IM from someone to give them a phone call, whereupon that person read an email out loud to my colleague asking for his thoughts about it.

:bang:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

flosofl posted:

So, one of my colleagues, just got an IM from someone to give them a phone call, whereupon that person read an email out loud to my colleague asking for his thoughts about it.

:bang:

This is the modern version of the cat picture faxed, scanned, printed and shot with a digital camera, isn't it?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

KillHour posted:

It's around that on Long Island, NY. Of course, because of poo poo like this:

http://www.newsday.com/classifieds/real-estate/group-ranks-nassau-no-1-in-property-taxes-1.2840397

:suicide:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nassau County: Ridiculously expensive with nothing going for it!

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

The property taxes in Chicago are getting out of hand and that is what is forcing me out of the metro. The northern burb I live in has an average of $8.3k a year in property taxes, and the average house value is like $425k. You can't touch a house for under $300k and it will sorely need updating and work.

The villages to the east and north of me are $10k on average.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How the hell does helpdesk make $50k in Austin? Doesn't Rackspace support start at 45k?

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Are there any good vendor neutral networking certifications? Years ago I got the Network+. I'm actually a server engineer but I've always had an interest in networking. I got one of those Mikrotik routers last week and got WPA2 EAP-TLS running at home. Also dual stack IPV6 as TWC offers it up.

Or should I just shut up and go after a ccent or ccna? Which?

I always find concepts easier to grasp vs memorizing commands so I've avoided the vendor specific certs.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 20, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Everything I've heard and the course material I've read about the CCNA shows it to be a great course for learning networking in general, not just training on Cisco products. I should get off my arse and do it.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
if you are looking to pick up concepts like bgp, ospf, route redistribution, zone based vs interface based firewalls, etc.., VyOS is a great product that runs on x86. You can spin up instances with as little as 128mb of RAM, which makes it possible to spin up a complete mock network on your PC without messing with GNS3.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Are there any good vendor neutral networking certifications? Years ago I got the Network+. I'm actually a server engineer but I've always had an interest in networking. I got one of those Mikrotik routers last week and got WPA2 EAP-TLS running at home. Also dual stack IPV6 as TWC offers it up.

I always find concepts easier to grasp vs memorizing commands so I've avoided the vendor specific certs.

CCNA is one of the highest ROA certs you can get (outside of the CCIE). Get your CCNA.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mayodreams posted:

The property taxes in Chicago are getting out of hand and that is what is forcing me out of the metro. The northern burb I live in has an average of $8.3k a year in property taxes, and the average house value is like $425k. You can't touch a house for under $300k and it will sorely need updating and work.

The villages to the east and north of me are $10k on average.

Come out west! Glenn Ellyn and Wheaton are still "reasonable" in some areas. I'm at about $4500 on a house I bought when the bottom dropped out of the housing market for about $270K on a 1/4 acre.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if you were the manager hiring someone doing entry level database development stuff (like basic SQL stuff etc starting out)

what kind of questions do you think you'd ask someone you were interviewing

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

How the hell does helpdesk make $50k in Austin? Doesn't Rackspace support start at 45k?

Sounds about right. But, the compensation is the same whether you work from Austin or San Antonio.

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

HR likes vendor certs on CVs!

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Eonwe posted:

if you were the manager hiring someone doing entry level database development stuff (like basic SQL stuff etc starting out)

Difference between a clustered and non-clustered index.
How to find something from set a that is NOT in set b.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

What do you guys use for cable storage? I've sorted the cables by length and colour now, but I can't really find a decent solution for storing them in a sensible and compact way.

I'm even considering buying tie hangers to hang them in the server room (we're an SME with one rack on-prem).

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Tab8715 posted:

They make it higher to keep you around while you learn to do system administrator work without the title, friendo

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

flosofl posted:

Come out west! Glenn Ellyn and Wheaton are still "reasonable" in some areas. I'm at about $4500 on a house I bought when the bottom dropped out of the housing market for about $270K on a 1/4 acre.

I work in Niles and I really don't want to spend an hour plus driving this way.

Today's new low for the people at my company: someone stuck a paper clip into a wall socket in a conference room that tripped the breaker and took the conference phone offline.

I no loving clue why an adult would ever do that. :negative:

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Eonwe posted:

We just went through hiring for two positions, both needing SQL knowledge. The first thing I did was draw two sets of objects on the board with a many to many relationship and asked them to describe how they would store them in a database. If there weren't three tables involved, they failed the SQL section. It was amazing how many people couldn't get that, and even more amazing how complicated the wrong solutions were.

After that we did some hands-on with them sitting in front of a computer with a sample database, writing queries. I found that way more helpful than having them describe queries. You can watch how they whittle away at the queries to find the right data (and whether they spend too much time fumbling) vs. regurgitating a query onto the board and having to tell them whether it's correct or not. This is in addition to standard questions like meanieface mentioned.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

mayodreams posted:

I work in Niles and I really don't want to spend an hour plus driving this way.

Today's new low for the people at my company: someone stuck a paper clip into a wall socket in a conference room that tripped the breaker and took the conference phone offline.

I no loving clue why an adult would ever:dealwithit: do that. :negative:

Conference over. Mission accomplished.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Gf has been working at a startup and the owner just laid down some bullshit concerning benefits, so she is looking for a new job in the Madison, WI area. Anyone looking for a C, C++, C#, Java, HTML, PHP, CSS, ASP.NET, SQL, Conjure, VB dev who speaks fluent Japanese?

She has no problem with jobs anywhere in the country as long as she can work remote.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

GreenNight posted:

Gf has been working at a startup and the owner just laid down some bullshit concerning benefits, so she is looking for a new job in the Madison, WI area. Anyone looking for a C, C++, C#, Java, HTML, PHP, CSS, ASP.NET, SQL, Conjure, VB dev who speaks fluent Japanese?

She has no problem with jobs anywhere in the country as long as she can work remote.

Blunt advice: almost nobody in the world has any real competency in all of these languages put together. Don't spray all over your skills. She should pick what she's best at (or wants to work with the most) and stick with that.

If it had to be .NET, PHP, or C(++, which is really a totally different language, but we can lump it together for now), which would it be? And webdev or app dev?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah I just copy/pasted from her resume. For the last year she's been doing straight Python, but before that was a year of Java, and before that Android app work in Japan.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
We're hiring for a junior sys admin (I've posted the opening in the jobs thread), and I got two very interesting resumes today.

One is a young lady currently going to school for a degree in IT. On her resume she lists experience with breeding goats. Another is an older gentleman with absolutely no IT experience, but he's been a butcher for 11 years.

I think I'm going to hire both of them and start my goat meat empire here in IT.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

You wouldn't be the first person here to clean blood out of a server rack.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
We used to say that the computers won't run right until there's been a little blood spilled on the rack as a sacrifice.

I haven't done hardware for a decade but I assume they still don't bother to round the edges on a lot of stuff because it'd cost money

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Has anyone here deployed Samsung Knox as corporate-owned/issued phones (ie. non-BYOD)? Was wondering if I could PM you a few questions.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Jeoh posted:

What do you guys use for cable storage? I've sorted the cables by length and colour now, but I can't really find a decent solution for storing them in a sensible and compact way.

I'm even considering buying tie hangers to hang them in the server room (we're an SME with one rack on-prem).

I always wind up bagging them. Quart or gallon bags lets me gather them together and sort of file them in a drawer.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Bhodi posted:

We used to say that the computers won't run right until there's been a little blood spilled on the rack as a sacrifice.

I haven't done hardware for a decade but I assume they still don't bother to round the edges on a lot of stuff because it'd cost money

One of the only things NCIS got right about computers. Cisco seems better about it than most manufacturers, when I had to assemble a router from them most of the corners were rounded.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Colonial Air Force posted:

We're hiring for a junior sys admin (I've posted the opening in the jobs thread), and I got two very interesting resumes today.

One is a young lady currently going to school for a degree in IT. On her resume she lists experience with breeding goats. Another is an older gentleman with absolutely no IT experience, but he's been a butcher for 11 years.

I think I'm going to hire both of them and start my goat meat empire here in IT.

That beats the electrical wholesaler and suit fitter (neither with relevant experience) that I got.

Quote of the day at work today: "That ping probably just cost £350k" ahhh progress

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

:toot:

I got the job and its a huge raise

:toot:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Congratulations!

Do they serve mutton?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Is anyone here familiar with systems for tracking equipment's physical location within a building? Like maybe small GPS, radio telemetry, or maybe even bluetooth? We're having a problem with equipment borrowed from I.T. not being returned. It's not being stolen, mostly just passed around within the college, or stashed somewhere after an event and forgotten about.

The college has decided I.T. should track these items instead of holding the person who borrowed them responsible, and I've been tasked with finding a solution. All the stuff I find on google is for large equipment though, and not really feasible for stuff like conference phones and wireless microphones.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hungry Computer posted:

Is anyone here familiar with systems for tracking equipment's physical location within a building? Like maybe small GPS, radio telemetry, or maybe even bluetooth? We're having a problem with equipment borrowed from I.T. not being returned. It's not being stolen, mostly just passed around within the college, or stashed somewhere after an event and forgotten about.

The college has decided I.T. should track these items instead of holding the person who borrowed them responsible, and I've been tasked with finding a solution. All the stuff I find on google is for large equipment though, and not really feasible for stuff like conference phones and wireless microphones.

RFID tagging.

Take a look at Ekahau. They do RFID over WiFi for real time location.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 23, 2015

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Thanks, that looks promising. For some reason I was under the impression mobile RFID scanners would need to be within a couple meters to work, but some quick searching has proved me wrong.

The last place I worked, a large petro-chemical plant, actually used radio telemetry tags designed for tracking wildlife on some of their more expensive field electronics. I was kind of considering that, if only because I would get to walk around with one of those giant tracking antennas.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Spraypaint it bright pink and chain it to a brick like a gas station bathroom key.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm trying to write up a college class for my local community college district and I'd like to hear some opinions.

It's Introduction to Virtualization Technology and the idea is that it'll be a quick dip into the shallow end of the pool of a variety of platforms.

The main goal is that at the end of the course, a student will be able to run VMware Player or VirtualBox on their laptop, have a basic idea of virtualization concepts and have some basic familiarity with vSphere, HyperV and maybe XenServer.

Has anyone seen a class like this before or maybe a book that fits this general role? I've never done this kind of thing before so it'd be nice to not have to blaze my own trail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone know how to make a full screen program in general or Windows remote desktop in particular start on a secondary monitor? As it is now, I usually have to drag my ticket window to the secondary, or put the remote session in windowed mode and drag it to the secondary screen.