Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I like that the word balloon is trying to escape the lovely comic it's in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Holy crap! Fox included in the MSM!

quote:

A black man hosing down a dog? The table's have turned!

quote:

Yeah, sure Lisa, environmental polices are why there is no water.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Point of order: this is not a boot. Back to art school, Wuerker.

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Yeah, sure Lisa, environmental polices are why there is no water.

Well, the exemptions to them are, so technically yes?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I love this poo poo. Jhmm yes, environmental regulations, how do I depict those... I know, as a pipe spewing sewage uncontrollably into the watershed! Next I will have a mugger holding up a Californian with a gun labeled Gun Control.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

colonel_korn posted:

Allie is really struggling for ideas lately.

Seriously. This is what, the 30th EVERYONE IS LEAVING ILLINOIS cartoon he's shat out in the past year or so? These days it's

1) Illinois sucks.
2) Bruce Rauner is dreamy.
3) Hillary sucks.

He's not even serving up visual wit, which was something I'd even admit he was good at.

C'mon, Eric. Give us a pony-tailed liberal tripping over his shoelaces or Obama being an rear end in a top hat or something.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

70den is an idiot, but I'll give him credit. This is the most ridiculous OBAMA IS FOCUSING ON THING INSTEAD OF OTHER THING I've ever seen, and that's saying a lot.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

D.N. Nation posted:

C'mon, Eric. Give us a pony-tailed liberal tripping over his shoelaces or Obama being an rear end in a top hat or something.

LOL pony-tailed liberals never wear shoes :rolleyes:

It's Velcro sandals or nothing obv

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Abyssal Squid posted:

I love this poo poo. Jhmm yes, environmental regulations, how do I depict those... I know, as a pipe spewing sewage uncontrollably into the watershed! Next I will have a mugger holding up a Californian with a gun labeled Gun Control.

I think that's just water, not sewage. In which case it reads like environmental regulations are what is supplying the reservoir. It weird how Lisa Benson is one of the better artists while having one of the worse grasps on visual metaphor.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Obama has set up Iran as a firebreak that will cause Islamic terrorism to burn out, allowing him the leisure to pour cold water on the overenthusiastic proponents of the Keystone pipeline. AGC.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

‘To Hill And Back’
There's a stripe of Republican, usually the more wealthy, well educated, socially moderate type, who remembers how good the 90s were for them and would totally vote for Bill Clinton again if he could run. I never really thought about it, but Kelly might fit the mold. Bill is his kind of guy.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

loquacius posted:

LOL pony-tailed liberals never wear shoes :rolleyes:

It's Velcro sandals or nothing obv

whoops my b

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Jedit posted:

We've been ripping the poo poo out of people in power since before your country was discovered by the white man. Practice makes perfect.

Finding the fundament of treason since Time Immemorial.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Adam Zyglis just won this year's Pulitzer for Editorial Cartooning:

http://www.pulitzer.org/citation/2015-Editorial-Cartooning

I'd really like to know what was in his portfolio. He's a talented artist, but not somebody I've seen really stand out.

.Edward Penischin
Jun 5, 2008

colonel_korn posted:

The election may be 18 months away, but it's never too early to start crying about the media.

Republican policies immediately disqualify them from being President of the United States. AGC.

quote:

Sound environmental policies not only rid our homes or crap, but they break it down to the point it doesn't negatively effect the environment in general. AGC.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

I like that cow. I'm only mentioning it because I've never seen anything drawn by Branco that I've liked before, but there it is.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Pardon my ignorance, but what is "TRAVELGATE FILES" referring to? Is it another non-issue from the 90's/earlier?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

beepsandboops posted:

Adam Zyglis just won this year's Pulitzer for Editorial Cartooning:

http://www.pulitzer.org/citation/2015-Editorial-Cartooning

I'd really like to know what was in his portfolio. He's a talented artist, but not somebody I've seen really stand out.

Here are the cartoons of his on the Pulitzer site, which I believe are the ones he submitted for consideration. There are a few really good ones in here along with a few generic or outright bad "A Thing Happened" ones.

P.S. Tom Tomorrow of all people was a finalist this year, what the hell.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

‘To Hill And Back’

Presidents? I thought Jeb was running, not Barbara or Laura.

e: Hillary/Rosalynn 2016

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 20, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

russia_nameplate_flips_over_to_soviet_union.gif

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

vyelkin posted:

He agrees!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

vyelkin posted:

Here are the cartoons of his on the Pulitzer site, which I believe are the ones he submitted for consideration. There are a few really good ones in here along with a few generic or outright bad "A Thing Happened" ones.

The exact opposite of correct.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Mr. Squishy posted:

The exact opposite of correct.

That might be from when it looked like the FCC was going to rule the other way.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
To me Zyglis is just a really safe cartoonist. He doesn't really have any great metaphors, and he lacks a lot of really bold :drat: kinda moments.

His art's pretty good though.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

This better not be a meme or this guy's in trouble with Putin.

JMolen
Mar 16, 2014
I'm a little late but I can translate some of the stuff Xander posted a few pages earlier.
"25 years after our liberation. You never know who's standing next to you in a German tram..." (the diagram/bottom half shows various dutch nazi organisations and sympathizers) "... but you can't know that in a Dutch tram either"

"the Israelites shouldn't be so millitant... they should just put down their weapons... and negotiate with the PLO..." (sign says: "death to America Israel) " They used to be much more tolerant"

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

I am eternally worried that Ramirez will get it again. "Three Pulitzers".

Anyway:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Kevin Kallaugher (AKA the guy who can crosshatch correctly) of the Baltimore Sun / The Economist was a finalist too.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Mr Jaunts posted:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is "TRAVELGATE FILES" referring to? Is it another non-issue from the 90's/earlier?

Yep. DoJ investigations found members of the White House Travel Office had, under both Bush and continuing under Clinton, been engaged in "financial improprieties" (embezzlement charges were brought but beat at trial so we will stick with that). They were properly fired. The GOP decided they were fired because Hillary hated them and wanted to take over the office and launched 7 years worth of investigations. Because of the heat here many of the people fired had to be re-hired, through all of it, including the FBI disclosure and trial of the accused embezzlers they have maintained it was a Clinton plot, that Hillary was making a power play to rule the country (somehow through the travel office) and that she lied under oath to investigators.

Basically assholes were fleecing the government, the justice department caught on, and they were rightly shitcanned. GOP made a stink, they got their jobs back and because it had been deemed a "political firing" the jury let them walk, and go back to the money they stole.

Get ready for 9 years of this poo poo

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 20, 2015

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

JMolen posted:

I'm a little late but I can translate some of the stuff Xander posted a few pages earlier.
" They used to be much more tolerant"
Oh hey, thanks.
Reasonably sure that's "the Jews used to be..."

Anyways, the threads second-favorite Israeli cartoonist is back from his post-election vacation!

The Israeli government is currently coalition wrangling:

English is like one of the few Romance languages in which Cancer (the disease) and the animal on the astrological sign aren't named the same.

Obama is negotiating with Iran

"I light this beacon for tolerance, open-mindedness, and acceptance of the Other".

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Xander77 posted:

"I light this beacon for tolerance, open-mindedness, and acceptance of the Other".

Jewish holidays are weird.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

For the GOP to stay supported by their current and shrinking demographic they must always move further to the right. An accurate cartoon.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

colonel_korn posted:

The election may be 18 months away, but it's never too early to start crying about the media.

The media, like the average American, knows where the GOP's class loyalties lie, AGC.

-or-

The GOP's past actions have given them an image problem, AGC.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

vyelkin posted:

Okay now post the really good ones.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

We had this in our ethics class a couple weeks ago. I pointed out the bottom two panels unfortunately both apply to 21st century.

Son of Isaac
Apr 22, 2008
So JR Rose won in the Illustrations section at the Virginia Press Association Awards, and the comment refers to this comic:

VPA judge posted:

It's really funny in its simplicity. It takes a normal bit in a store (xxx on Aisle 7) and turns on what has
become a commonplace nightmare (hacking), something readers/consumers can really relate to. It's
well-drawn and looks just like your average Home Depot guy!

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Son of Isaac posted:

So JR Rose won in the Illustrations section at the Virginia Press Association Awards, and the comment refers to this comic:

So he was running for the award unopposed, in other words.

Son of Isaac
Apr 22, 2008

Deep Hurting posted:

So he was running for the award unopposed, in other words.

Kevin Olmstead of the Winchester Star took second (and I don't think he's technically a cartoonist), and JR also got 3rd. They're pretty much the only newspapers left with editorial cartoonists in Virginia. Richmond had Bob Gorrell in the 90s, and the Charlottesville paper once employed thread-favorite Bruce Tinsley.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Son of Isaac posted:

Kevin Olmstead of the Winchester Star took second (and I don't think he's technically a cartoonist), and JR also got 3rd. They're pretty much the only newspapers left with editorial cartoonists in Virginia. Richmond had Bob Gorrell in the 90s, and the Charlottesville paper once employed thread-favorite Bruce Tinsley.

Did Tinsley previously make actual editorial cartoons before Mallard? Or was it always pseudo-funnies in the horizontal strip format?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Once again, Bell plays "let's angle the text to make it harder to read."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Son of Isaac posted:

The Pilot has Taylor, whom I posted yesterday, but he's hardly a "big time" cartoonist.

• Locked thread