Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So they're moving the mogami up to tier 8, but leaving the cleveland at tier 6 despite it being very similar in gameplay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Jesus loving christ

165k damage done, 103k received, 7 kills... doesn't help when everyone except me dies. :ssj:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
JP carriers to have more, smaller squads? I'm okay with this...I think?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

So they're moving the mogami up to tier 8, but leaving the cleveland at tier 6 despite it being very similar in gameplay?

It's not really, though? :shrug:

Besides, 203mm is the way to go already and looks to be the way to go even harder with the armor mechanics overhaul. Being stuck with 6in popguns until T7 while the IJN cruisers get 8in primaries at T5 already is gonna be a pretty stark change for US cruisers.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Cleveland will have issues with the AP ammo change as well, I think.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Victor Surge posted:

What change? :stare:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Victor Surge posted:

Wh... what change? :stare:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Kesper North posted:

Wh... what change? :stare:

Non-pens will do 0 damage, hitting under the waterline is also probably going to mean 0 damage.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
AP will do absolutely *nothing* if it fails to penetrate and overpenetrations will do less damage once the patch drops. Which means that with 6-inchers, you will most likely be reduced to HE spam against BBs and heavy cruisers at long range.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

gwrtheyrn posted:

hitting under the waterline is also probably going to mean 0 damage.

Why would it? A tiny travel time in the water shouldn't remove all hope of penetrating, right?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

PirateBob posted:

Why would it? A tiny travel time in the water shouldn't remove all hope of penetrating, right?

If you're barely penetrating in the first place, hitting the water is probably not going to do you any favors

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

gwrtheyrn posted:

If you're barely penetrating in the first place, hitting the water is probably not going to do you any favors

I guess. Is there any information on the penetration values (a la WOT) of guns?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Is this game fun?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I'm actually not going to play it I'm just wondering how far along the cycle is for this game before people start complaining about pubbies and WGNA for days

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Control Volume posted:

Is this game fun?

For now.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Control Volume posted:

I'm just wondering how far along the cycle is for this game before people start complaining about pubbies and WGNA for days

Doesn't this always happen starting in CBT in every WGNA game?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

PirateBob posted:

Tiny time underwater means you're still hitting belt. Below that it's a not inconsiderable amount of water and then if the ship has underwater protection a few more meters of liquid and then a retaining bulkhead, and the shell's probably gone off by then. Plus I'm pretty sure underwater hits are undermodeled.

Plus 6" shells are pretty light as that sort of thing goes and iirc have considerably worse sectional density.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

Doesn't this always happen starting in CBT in every WGNA game?

No there's a bit of a honeymoon period until everyone starts talking about how terrible the pubbies are and then a little bit afterwards they become just as dumb while still complaining about them, also somewhere in this period wargaming fucks up the balance

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

All that stuff's already happened. drat the 3.0 patch.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Also goons have always been dumb what games do you play

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Elmnt80 posted:

Who the hell plays the Mogami with the 152mms, like come on scrub.

The Myoko is soft as hell and takes like 3 hits before it dies. It also has bad gun arcs, and seemingly less powerful guns. It deserves a tier-down, and the Mogami is workable at tier 8.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I'm far too excited about the Bogue becoming the T5 US CV. Also planes will fly faster after dropping their payload so they return faster. :toot:

Also interested in seeing the effect of T9+ cruisers getting the BB repair ability.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Also goons have always been dumb what games do you play

well they've always been as bad at playing but usually they dont write a novel getting extremely mad at some guy who at the end tells him that he hosed your mother in portuguese, then post it in the thread to brag

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Time to start a botes clan, how about [BONER] we need a good troll acronym that will fly under the radar for a few weeks.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
CV games feel really borked right now. They definitely feel different in the way that if you want to do the cool torp spreads that the good CV players sometimes do to you, you have to get good at manually aiming them with alt and such.

But it's hard to experiment or even try to do things, when in every game I run across a guy that's running nothing but fighters aiming to area-deny you. In my Langley this is a hopeless situation; the ship doesn't seem to have any AA and when the battle is in it's mid stage, it's very simple for the enemy carrier to just launch both his fighter squadrons out, pile them up on top of each other, and park them right on top of my goddamn flight deck.

I then can't take my torpedo planes anywhere, my single squadron of fighters is hopeless against it, and I have no cruisers next to me to help me out (understandable I guess? I think they shouldn't have to turn all the way around just to help me out). I have to land my planes back into my deck just to keep them alive, to which point the guy just brings his planes back to refuel and launch at the perfect time to gently caress with me yet again! :mad:

This poo poo has happened every game so far. CV's seem like they might be interesting, but it's hard to stretch your legs and have fun with them like this.

Edit: ↓ I got right away that the whole fighter load CV thing is useless. I'm just sad that the people who run this don't see it as a useless thing, and when they get to lock down some sap like me in his carrier, they'll feel accomplished and justified to do it again.

OSad fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 20, 2015

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
If it helps the Langley really sucks rear end

Also if it makes you feel better fighter load CVs are useless and bad and unhelpful to the team the vast majority of the time. The only times they come out ahead of a regular plane load is if they manage to neuter two enemy carriers by themselves (they never do).

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Flags will be awesome. I can't wait to fly the brevity code for "Crewman has a venereal disease."

edit: MKK - penis is swollen or MKH - foreskin will not go to back to normal position.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 21, 2015

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

demonR6 posted:

Time to start a botes clan, how about [BONER] we need a good troll acronym that will fly under the radar for a few weeks.

[SEAMN] pink submarine icon

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 20, 2015

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe

demonR6 posted:

[SMGMA]

[FAART]

[PUPPY], everyone likes puppies, right?

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
So is it unlikely that they're going to hand out more keys now that you can buy into the closed beta?

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

OSad posted:

CV games feel really borked right now. They definitely feel different in the way that if you want to do the cool torp spreads that the good CV players sometimes do to you, you have to get good at manually aiming them with alt and such.

Run with a cruiser buddy - he should help against enemy fighters (the gold japanese crusier, the yugari, is particularly good at this), and will also kill any destroyers that come close. I generally run around the main battle in a destroyer in a tier 4 or 5 battle and go for the langley's or slow battleships if I can, and nothing ruins me faster than a good cruiser defending the big slow targets. It's not a waste of assets at all, assuming you get off a few salvos of torps on a juicy cruiser or battleship target.

If it helps the later carriers are much much better than the langley. That thing is god awful.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hencoe posted:

OH GOD YES THIS! ^ :fap:

Anyways, how is the stuff in the preorder bundles?

https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wows/?item=1072

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Who the hell plays the Mogami with the 152mms, like come on scrub.

The Myoko is soft as hell and takes like 3 hits before it dies. It also has bad gun arcs, and seemingly less powerful guns. It deserves a tier-down, and the Mogami is workable at tier 8.

I do. Its not the size of your guns, its hhow you use 'em. :smug:

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

demonR6 posted:

just use [POI]

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Gegil posted:

just use [POI]

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Gegil posted:

just use [POI]

Well, we got a winner.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Gegil posted:

just use [POI]

You're going to have to beat the legions of people who love that Hawaiian dish, including me!

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I thought the vote was already cast for [YMCA]

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Hencoe posted:

Brilliant.. now lets come up with something to make that pass off as
"Huh? That's not what the acronym means."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
I'm glad US cruisers have turned out to be pretty good, they've always been my favorite ships. Just had this game in the Phoenix, ended up being me, another cruiser and our carrier against two carriers and four cruisers. Somehow their cruisers all died (are magazine explosions common? I haven't noticed many until now) then I managed to torp the t5 carrier just before sinking. Our carrier actually ended up capping to win it.

Is it better to use HE or AP on carriers? While I was shooting him the HE wasn't doing a lot of damage, but I couldn't figure out where to hit with AP to do any real damage.