Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any good Roguelikes for the PC

Specifically "I move, Enemy Moves." one pc / party kind of game play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

You've just described what most consider one of the core aspects of roguelikes, that's not very specific.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

Crypt of the Necrodancer? It's turn based, sort of. There's one character that makes it completely turn based.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

Well, a general list, starting with what's free would include:
Nethack - classic dungeon crawl
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup - My personal favorite, another dungeon crawl
Moria - basic dungeon crawl
Angband - another dungeon crawl
Caves of Qud - post apocalyptic exploration
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - post apocalyptic zombie survival/crafting
Doom: The Roguelike - extremely fast paced roguelike based on Doom
Unreal World - roguelike survival sim

And the ones that you can get on steam include:
Sproggiwood - by the guy that did Caved of Qud, another dungeon crawl with some town building elements
Dungeons of Dredmor - another dungeon crawl that's actually really funny
TOME 4: Another dungeon crawl with, iirc, some persistent world elements

As Bouchacha said though, what you're describing is incredibly vague, and we don't really get a good sense of what you want to play or have already played.

Probottt fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 20, 2015

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

Brogue. Traditional roguelike but very easy to pick up for the genre.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Giving phone I meant the 3ds

E= fixing

E2= loving

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

Giving phone I meant the 3ds

E= fixing

E2= loving

lol?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

What are some good PC games with a fantasy setting which tend to focus away or heavily diminish the use of magic? The Myth series has an appropriate amount of magic in the game, with most usage heavily confined to a select few, and most of it is portrayed by the narrator as some freaky poo poo no one can understand. Dark Souls is also great at this since you encounter few magic enemies and you can safely ignore it for your character build. Thief series is similarly well presented, with the vast majority of encounters against normal humans. Where poo poo gets dumb for me is when anyone that can read a book can also cast a fireball and they're as prevalent as cell phones are today.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good Roguelikes for the 3DS is what I'm asking.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bouchacha posted:

What are some good PC games with a fantasy setting which tend to focus away or heavily diminish the use of magic? The Myth series has an appropriate amount of magic in the game, with most usage heavily confined to a select few, and most of it is portrayed by the narrator as some freaky poo poo no one can understand. Dark Souls is also great at this since you encounter few magic enemies and you can safely ignore it for your character build. Thief series is similarly well presented, with the vast majority of encounters against normal humans. Where poo poo gets dumb for me is when anyone that can read a book can also cast a fireball and they're as prevalent as cell phones are today.
Severance: Blade of Darkness is very much along the sword side of sword and sorcery, there are only a few magic/supernatural enemies, and it does an impressive job of making them a big deal through mechanics. For example, there's one weird vampire boss dude who teleports behind you, so you have to completely change your fighting style and start frantically swinging your sword at where you think he's going to appear. It's a refreshing change from "oh, there are enemies that throw fireballs now", though there's some of that in the later (worse) stages.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bouchacha posted:

It's old and clunky but Arx Fatalis. Magic is presented in an overall negative light. You have to collect runes and draw symbols in the air to cast it. Casters are rare but incredibly powerful. High level spells are very evil, doing things like boiling someone's blood or summoning a demon that goes on a rampage. And the demon isn't your traditional horned humanoid, it's this Lovecraftian lump of flesh and blades..

Dark Messiah of Might & Magic has the main character, a wizard's apprentice, and basically no one else. You have another wizard apprentice ally who doesn't really do much in the game and very rare cultists who only manage to throw fireballs. You can learn an assortment of basic spells but you can also go strictly melee.

The Witcher series also takes a swords and sorcery approach to magic. Casters are very rare and either regarded with suspicion or outright hostility. There's also some neat lore behind them, like all the sorceresses banded together to oust the crusty old sorcerers and there's a lot of political infighting that happens between them. Geralt has some rudimentary magic but your signs are complimentary to sword fighting. Casters are rare and almost always major characters (usually villains).

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Ohhh man, Severance. Such a good loving game. If someone were to start a Kickstarter for a Severance remake, with good ragdoll physics and poo poo, I would throw every single penny of my money at it.

What I'm saying is, I second that recommendation.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Bouchacha posted:

If you like obtuse really old RPGs (like late 80s-early 90s) there are actually quite a few that fit the bill.

Darklands is set in medieval Germany. Magic is very, very rare, entirely Satanic and feared by the populace at large. A lot of the game involves rooting out and destroying "magical" thinks--witches, Satanic cults, demons, dragons and the like. "Spells" from a gameplay perspective are Catholic saints--you pray to the Patron Saint of Whatever to get the miracle you're looking for.

Knights of Legend is kind of similar. It focuses almost entirely on insanely detailed hack & slash combat, and a lot of NPCs shun magic-using characters. Magic, while present, is potentially enormously powerful but also extremely draining--it saps massive amounts of fatigue, meaning even if unarmored casters can cast only one or two powerful spells before passing out.

Dragon Wars is a Wizardry-like dungeon crawler where one of the major premises of the game is that magic is outlawed entirely, and your party is imprisoned at the beginning under suspicion of sorcery. While absolutely vital to finishing the game, it's super-rare and a lot of the game consists of exploring and searching out those remaining few sources of magic.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Turtlicious posted:

There is Elona+ that was mentioned last page. The game does have a speed stat that lets you take multiple turns against slower enemies and the reverse.
You can build a literal army of just about any NPC and have them do a ton of stuff for you while you are away from them. Make a literal city out of all you can put together they will sell your crap and give you lots of rare stuff to hold until you return. It is a sandbox that allows you to do just about any job you see other NPCs do in other games and it keeps adding more every other month or so.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Severance, Arx Fatalis, and Darklands all ruled hard.

al-azad posted:

The Witcher series also takes a swords and sorcery approach to magic. Casters are very rare and either regarded with suspicion or outright hostility. There's also some neat lore behind them, like all the sorceresses banded together to oust the crusty old sorcerers and there's a lot of political infighting that happens between them. Geralt has some rudimentary magic but your signs are complimentary to sword fighting. Casters are rare and almost always major characters (usually villains).

I tried Witcher 1 and got so bored by the running speed and constant (sloooooow) back and forth required for the game. I quit after 10 hours. Are the sequels any different? The lore and mechanics definitely attracted me to the first.

Genpei Turtle posted:

Knights of Legend is kind of similar. It focuses almost entirely on insanely detailed hack & slash combat, and a lot of NPCs shun magic-using characters. Magic, while present, is potentially enormously powerful but also extremely draining--it saps massive amounts of fatigue, meaning even if unarmored casters can cast only one or two powerful spells before passing out.
This has always been on my radar, but the clunky UI and overall "oldness" have kept me at bay until I can devour through a thick manual. Thanks for the reminder though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Witcher 2 plays a lot better than 1.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

Good Roguelikes for the 3DS is what I'm asking.

I recall hearing that the 3DS is backwards compatible with the DS. If that's the case, you could always grab the Pokemon and Shiren Mystery Dungeon Games. On the 3DS, there's another Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game. I believe Etrian Mystery Dungeon just released, which may end up being your best choice.

butt implants
Oct 16, 2004

i'm gay
I need a looty RPG on PC to play. Something to play mindlessly, where I can collect a bunch of loot and look cool. Preferably F2P.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

unterdude posted:

I need a looty RPG on PC to play. Something to play mindlessly, where I can collect a bunch of loot and look cool. Preferably F2P.

Path of Exile?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

unterdude posted:

Marvel Heroes 2015. It's basically like Diablo 2 but with super heroes.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3704640

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 24, 2015

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Pengu! posted:

Path of Exile?

Seconded. It's a modern day Diablo 2.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

unterdude posted:

Dungeon Fighter is a 2.5d beat-em-up / MMORPG that I like way more than all the other diablo-likes. However, loot is mostly separated from your visible character, as the aesthetics are all based on specific item types that are bought with real or ingame currencies.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

unterdude posted:

Warframe

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Are there any good WW1 tactical games out there? Trench combat, early tanks, etc.?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

SquadronROE posted:

Are there any good WW1 tactical games out there? Trench combat, early tanks, etc.?

Verdun is okay, it has a line of skirmish gamemode that jumps from trench to trench. There was The Trenches, a Half-Life 1 mod which was better, but that's dead now.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

SquadronROE posted:

Haven't played it, but Battle of Empires: 1914-1918 reminds me of Company of Heroes based on the trailers of the game. Might be worth checking out.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'm looking for a 4X (preferably fantasy-themed, but I'm open to anything) game with snappy, adjustable animation speeds and a very clear, simple visual style. I tried Age of Wonders III and Endless Legend and both are sluggish and too visually busy -- they could be amazing games from a mechanical standpoint and it would still feel like a chore to play them. On the other hand it'd be nice if it were something made in the past five years or so, I've already played most well-known 4X games from the nineties and early 2000s, plus a lot of older games in that genre don't play nicely with modern resolutions.

If it's something older but relatively obscure that's worth a shot, but I am absolutely not interested in anything real-time with pause, or anything with the words "Total War" in the title.

e: As an example, if Battle For Wesnoth had in-depth city building and were anywhere from a little bit to much less focused on combat, it would be perfect.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 27, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm looking for a 4X (preferably fantasy-themed, but I'm open to anything) game with snappy, adjustable animation speeds and a very clear, simple visual style. I tried Age of Wonders III and Endless Legend and both are sluggish and too visually busy -- they could be amazing games from a mechanical standpoint and it would still feel like a chore to play them. On the other hand it'd be nice if it were something made in the past five years or so, I've already played most well-known 4X games from the nineties and early 2000s, plus a lot of older games in that genre don't play nicely with modern resolutions.

If it's something older but relatively obscure that's worth a shot, but I am absolutely not interested in anything real-time with pause, or anything with the words "Total War" in the title.

e: As an example, if Battle For Wesnoth had in-depth city building and were anywhere from a little bit to much less focused on combat, it would be perfect.

Give this demo a shot, I guess.

Maybe try Dominions as well.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

I've played quite a bit of Dominions, but I'll give wizardgame a shot, thanks!

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
After about 30 hours of modding skyrim to try and make it fun again... I just can`t.

I feel like playing a modern-day RPG and I`m super sick of fantasy. I know about VTM: Bloodlines and The Secret World mmo - I like both. Do any other games like that exist? Basically modern day with a touch of either sci-fi or fantasy, kind of open world. I don't think it's a popular genre.

I tried DARK and that was just amazingly mediocre.

Edit: I`ve never actually played through all of FNV`s DLCs even though I own the ulti edition, not a bad idea. So it`s not just me then, games like this are scarce as hell?

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 28, 2015

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm going to assume you've played Fallout: New Vegas? That's what I immediately went to when I did what you did, and it was a great decision. It was even my 3rd or 4th playthrough and it was still loving great.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Schrodingers cat posted:

After about 30 hours of modding skyrim to try and make it fun again... I just can`t.

I feel like playing a modern-day RPG and I`m super sick of fantasy. I know about VTM: Bloodlines and The Secret World mmo - I like both. Do any other games like that exist? Basically modern day with a touch of either sci-fi or fantasy, kind of open world. I don't think it's a popular genre.

Edit: I`ve never actually played through all of FNV`s DLCs even though I own the ulti edition, not a bad idea. So it`s not just me then, games like this are scarce as hell?

Wasteland 2 is a post apocalyptic RPG with old school design, Deus Ex, the first and the latest (not invisible war) are pretty solid action/shooter rpgs. First one might seem a bit dated.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Schrodingers cat posted:

Alpha Protocol, its a mostly grounded spy game set in the modern day.

Also if you don't mind it being more cyberpunk future than modern day there's Shadowrun Dragonfall.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Schrodingers cat posted:

Through the power of emulation comes Earthbound and Persona 3 FES and Persona 4!

Or if you have a Wii U/Playstation 3, I don't judge your gaming platforms.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I was looking for a game that I could leave running in the background without going back to it and finding my empire/city/spaceship a wreck. So far I've played the Anno series and CKII at low speeds and autopause (and cookie clicker :v:).

I'm looking at Cities: Skylines to scratch that itch. Anything I'm missing?

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
I forgot about many of those, thanks for the recommendations!

mrurth
Apr 21, 2005

I'm looking for a multiplayer Ultima Underworld, preferably released no earlier than 2010.

Barony seems like the answer, but it looks like butt.

Underworld Ascendant has coop if it hits $1,150,000 (currently around $880,000).

In more general terms:
  • First person AND/OR 3rd person with WASD movement
  • Real time combat
  • Ideally a persistent world
  • 4 player
  • Explore a mega-dungeon

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are there any real-time 4X games like Sins of a Solar Empire or Distant Worlds that aren't space based? I know the Paradox games kind of fit that description but they tend to be a lot more static than a true 4X since the world has a fixed layout.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Looking for a game, preferably offline, that is open world and has a lot of movement powers. I want to super jump and teleport around ala city of heroes/prototype/crackdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

madpanda posted:

Looking for a game, preferably offline, that is open world and has a lot of movement powers. I want to super jump and teleport around ala city of heroes/prototype/crackdown.
Get Saints Row 4 and Gat out of Hell, they are both on sale on Steam right now.