Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah really, I've got a Microcenter a few blocks from me and the $15/kg for multiple colors of both PLA/ABS is a godsend. I doubt even the bulk online stuff can beat that after shipping.

I think that is just what I will do again. Just wanted ideas. You can also order online and have the colors you want shipped to the store for pick up for no shipping cost. When I get the money I might go down the online-to-store and stock up on filament for the next few months. Since I got my printer 3.5 months ago I have gone threw 6 or 7 1kg spools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
How would I go about figuring out the right thermistor for a heated bed on my Printrbot simple? I got one and it reads the temperature way higher than it really is so the bed never heats up enough.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Rubiks Pubes posted:

How would I go about figuring out the right thermistor for a heated bed on my Printrbot simple? I got one and it reads the temperature way higher than it really is so the bed never heats up enough.

You can use an offset, I have to set one of about 10 degrees

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
So, when we replaced our Makerbot Extruder, we forgot to send the old one in, so I kept it.

Now, I'm taking it apart to make my own 3D printer:

And we're ready to start printing the parts for it!

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
That is a huge filament drive gear

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MickRaider posted:

That is a huge filament drive gear

Aluminium, no less.

The magnets are no less impressive:

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

How does it drive the gear?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MickRaider posted:

How does it drive the gear?

The stepper for the feed gear is in the carriage and locks into the keyways when the extruder magnetically attaches to the carrier

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
How would you guys find local printing services? I found "3DHub" after some Googling, but it's kind of pricey for what seems like a shot in the dark. I'm in Tampa if anyone knows of a place or wants to make some cash off their machine. :D

My school has a couple printers I can use, but it's a god drat free for all and I want my parts already. I'm hoping it's a ghost town this summer so I can mess with them some more. As of right now, they're broken half the time or busy printing plastic boxes that take 8 hours.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

The Royal Scrub posted:

How would you guys find local printing services? I found "3DHub" after some Googling, but it's kind of pricey for what seems like a shot in the dark. I'm in Tampa if anyone knows of a place or wants to make some cash off their machine. :D

My school has a couple printers I can use, but it's a god drat free for all and I want my parts already. I'm hoping it's a ghost town this summer so I can mess with them some more. As of right now, they're broken half the time or busy printing plastic boxes that take 8 hours.

Nobody is going to print your football / fake vagina / lunchbox for the $3 in plastic it actually costs us, sorry. MakeXYZ is generally a bit cheaper since it's more of a "bidding" style, but you'll definitely get what you pay for.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

insta posted:

Nobody is going to print your football / fake vagina / lunchbox for the $3 in plastic it actually costs us, sorry. MakeXYZ is generally a bit cheaper since it's more of a "bidding" style, but you'll definitely get what you pay for.

Right, that's why I said "make some cash", not "break even". I really need this fake vagina though so hit me up.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
F'real if you find it too expensive around you, 3dhub search 66203, I'm on there (Bryan's Hub), I'll ship your fake vagina or whatever it is, assuming I can print it. I have an entire business around that.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I wish you were local to me. Between my 3d printer being a doorstop (makerbot lol), a local place having a 2 week turnaround, and everyone on makexyz in my city being a flake, I usually just do without.

But this reminds me that last I looked at makexyz was at least a year ago, maybe things have changed.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Yeah you can tell it's actually a business instead of "I set this up last year then forgot about it". And then his prices are good too. It'd be a no-brainer if it was local.

Are Makerbots notoriously lovely or something? The print I managed on a Replicator 2 turned out about as well as I'd expect. Like I said though they're broken half the time though, which isn't surprising considering there is zero oversight in their operation.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

The Royal Scrub posted:

Yeah you can tell it's actually a business instead of "I set this up last year then forgot about it". And then his prices are good too. It'd be a no-brainer if it was local.

Are Makerbots notoriously lovely or something? The print I managed on a Replicator 2 turned out about as well as I'd expect. Like I said though they're broken half the time though, which isn't surprising considering there is zero oversight in their operation.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Anything Makerbot after the 5th gen Replicator (the wooden ones) sucks. The Rep2 is sometimes OK, but lacking on a lot of features (ABS was "experimental"). The Z18 is a vortex of failure, and anything with the "smart extruder" needs to die in a fire. I get that extruders are wear items, but not after 200 hours of printing! The hotends for my M2 last me a few thousand hours a piece, and are ~ $60 to replace instead of $250. They usually fail because I've done something dumb to them, as well.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

insta posted:

The Z18 is a vortex of failure

http://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/comments/32xx1b/without_warning_or_fanfare_this_magically/

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Look at the top post :v:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

insta posted:

Look at the top post :v:

Or ALL the posts. I think that was his point in posting that.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Or ALL the posts. I think that was his point in posting that.

Look a little closer.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

They're all saying "Wow that's lovely, too bad you got a piece of crap," what am I missing? I don't reddit so well.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

They're all saying "Wow that's lovely, too bad you got a piece of crap," what am I missing? I don't reddit so well.
Yeah you're definitely missing what he said.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Bad Munki posted:

The top post on that Reddit thread was made by insta.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Okaaaaay, so, someone says "it's a lovely printer" and someone else says, implicitly, "haha, yeah, look at everyone's response to someone getting one," and all those people say "it's a lovely printer," and the original person who said "it's a lovely printer" was the most reddit-famous person in the quoted thread to say "it's a lovely printer?" That's the big mystery? Okay.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

The Z18 is a big lovely printer.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So I've heard!

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Okaaaaay, so, someone says "it's a lovely printer" and someone else says, implicitly, "haha, yeah, look at everyone's response to someone getting one," and all those people say "it's a lovely printer," and the original person who said "it's a lovely printer" was the most reddit-famous person in the quoted thread to say "it's a lovely printer?" That's the big mystery? Okay.

You cracked the case.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Update on my Daft Punk helmet I 3D printed from way back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lac4FpRXlPg

Electronics went kaput last year at the con, and rather than going through dozens of solder joints and wirings to diagnose, I decided to gut the whole thing and use Adafruit's NeoPixel strips. Way easier and now the electronics fit inside the helmet (using a Pro Trinket from Adafruit as the Arduino) instead of having to carry around a giant control pack.

e: Meant to post this in the Cosplay thread but I guess it's kind of relevant here :v: Here's the Thing I printed it from.

Kazy fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 18, 2015

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

That's sweet. How'd you form the visor?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Speaking of Makerbot they sacked about 100 people/20% of their staff today, in some attempt to be more subsumed by Stratasys.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/04/makerbot-lays-off-20-percent-of-its-staff/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Honestly? I haven't had many issues from my Replicator Gen 5, despite what people are saying :shrug:

I brought it home from the office for the weekend, and I'm print the parts for a Rostock Delta printer.

So I'm 3D printing a 3D printer.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Even if it works perfectly, you're still forced to use a raft, print PLA only, buy makerbot brand filament to not void the warranty, admitted "limited lifespan" of the smart extruder, forced into one software, and a whole bunch of other lovely things.

It's just not a good printer for the maker movement. It's a step backwards.

MickRaider fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 18, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MickRaider posted:

Even if it works perfectly, you're still forced to use a raft, print PLA only, buy makerbot brand filament to not void the warranty, admitted "limited lifespan" of the smart extruder, forced into one software, and a whole bunch of other lovely things.

It's just not a good printer for the maker movement. It's a step backwards.

I can print with AutoDesk 123D Meshmixer to it, I've done it before. Do extruder's last forever? I mean, yeah the Smart Extruder is kind of a gip, but I never expected it to last forever.

But yeah, the lack of a heated bed sucks. Thankfully, the company bought the printer without consulting me.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

CommieGIR posted:

I can print with AutoDesk 123D Meshmixer to it, I've done it before. Do extruder's last forever? I mean, yeah the Smart Extruder is kind of a gip, but I never expected it to last forever.

I'm not 100% sure of this, but I'm pretty sure other extruders cost half as much and probably last 4x as long.

MickRaider posted:

That's sweet. How'd you form the visor?

Vacuum formed over a CNC'd wooden mold that cost me way too much. :v: I need to resell it or rent it out or something.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

But yeah, the lack of a heated bed sucks. Thankfully, the company bought the printer without consulting me.

The two replaceable parts are a nozzle and hobbed bolt.

The difference between the replicator and other printers is that those are $10 parts on any other printer, but on a replicator gen 5 is $150. They're also not aluminum so they last more than 6 months.

Kazy posted:

Vacuum formed over a CNC'd wooden mold that cost me way too much. :v: I need to resell it or rent it out or something.
That was my guess. Looks slick though. Definitely sell them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
First few parts for the Rostock Delta printer came off the Makerbot last night.

Looking good so far. Plan to do the arms next and more U joints.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Plate 2 of the 3D printer. One more plate and I'll have all the printable parts.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

:getin:

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

Who's used BuildTak? I just picked up a sheet of it when I was getting more filament at Micro Center and just wanted to know if there are any goon tips.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

I had to get rid of it because it was sticking so well I couldn't get my prints off. Glass + hairspray is working fine for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

Kazy posted:

I had to get rid of it because it was sticking so well I couldn't get my prints off. Glass + hairspray is working fine for me.

I have heard that can happen. If I can't get it to work or it turns in to a pain in the rear end I am going to try the PrintinZ plate. That looks like it's kind of the best of both worlds. A surface that prints stick to and then you can remove the plate and bund it so the print breaks off the build surface.