Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gravel Gravy posted:

Really? When I lived down there I always heard him referred to as a "Charleston Dandy".

There is a specific type of person who isn't from Charleston but still tries to be more fancy-pants charleston than actual Charlestonians. That's our Lindsey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Someone quick post this on Freep saying its a wireless email server.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
QOTD: "Our tax code's been turned into Swiss cheese and certainly the concentrated wealth and the accumulated power and the systematic deregulation of Wall Street has led to this situation where the economy isn't working for most of us. All of that is true. But it is not true that regulation holds poor people down or regulation keeps the middle class from advancing. That's kind of patently bullshit" - Martin O'Malley, who will not be president, to NPR

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

happyhippy posted:

Someone quick post this on Freep saying its a wireless email server.

Why won't Hillary release her Tetris scores???

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

What a laugh riot it'd be if JEB holds his announcement in June and declares that actually, he's not running for President.

Looking at those poll numbers from the previous page, I have to assume the divided field works in Bush's favor since a lot of the Tea Party, evangelical and libertarian voters are split up among a couple of candidates. Maybe Bush and Walker share a similar core constituency but Bush seems to have the more reliable foundation - at the very least he might be able to call on that backwash of Republicans who still think Bush II was a good President.

Who could join the race that might eat into JEB's support? How about Kasich and Snyder? The way they've been talked about in this thread makes them sound like more establishment-style Republicans who would appeal to the "serious" Republican voters.

It also seems interesting that certain backgrounds seem to produce certain kinds of candidates. Bush, Rubio, Walker, Snyder, Kasich - all Governors, and all associated with the "establishment". Paul and Cruz, Senators, associated with Libertarians/Tea Party. Even Graham, who's critical of Cruz and Paul, is sort of a one-issue kind of potential candidate who's mad about foreign policy issues. Congress seems to be putting out a lot of ideologues while the states produce the executive-types.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

QOTD: "Our tax code's been turned into Swiss cheese and certainly the concentrated wealth and the accumulated power and the systematic deregulation of Wall Street has led to this situation where the economy isn't working for most of us. All of that is true. But it is not true that regulation holds poor people down or regulation keeps the middle class from advancing. That's kind of patently bullshit" - Martin O'Malley, who will not be president, to NPR

"Yeah, I said it." ~Subject line of a fundraising email for Martin O'Malley

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hillary is in Keene, NH today and I really hope she gets asked about parking meters.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

How does he reconcile those two statements?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Dolash posted:

Who could join the race that might eat into JEB's support? How about Kasich and Snyder? The way they've been talked about in this thread makes them sound like more establishment-style Republicans who would appeal to the "serious" Republican voters.

Kasich might do well - Sununu is a very big get for him in New Hampshire and shows that he means business.

And of course Mitt :swoon:

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

Joementum posted:

Air Force One, April 1993.

The Clinton Library posts archive photos here: https://instagram.com/wjclibrary42/

I have to admit that I think that's a cool photo and that I like Hilary more for it.

I'm Spanish, though, so is not like it actually matters.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Dolash posted:

backwash of Republicans who still think Bush II was a good President.

:golfclap:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gravel Gravy posted:

How does he reconcile those two statements?

"regulation" = "the existence of regulations"
"deregulation" = the lack of regulation"

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

"regulation" = "the existence of regulations"
"deregulation" = the lack of regulation"

Ok misread it completely.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

This should be a fun read.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Dolash posted:

. Bush, Rubio, Walker, Snyder, Kasich - all Governors,

Rubio is a Senator, although the only one in the race who even approaches sane or electable.

Spooky Forum Ghost
Mar 9, 2015
The Koch Brothers getting behind Scott Walker is the least surprising thing ever.

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/04/20/koch-brothers-signal-support-for-scott-walker/?_r=0

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sir Tonk posted:

Apparently the NYT and Fox are teaming up to promote it, with exclusive storylines!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Nessus posted:

Apparently the NYT and Fox are teaming up to promote it, with exclusive storylines!

Fair and Balanced

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Sir Tonk posted:

As usual, reality imitating the Onion.

quote:

DECATUR, IL—Expressing relief that he would not have to construct an entirely new diatribe from scratch, local man Harold Willis was reportedly pleased Monday to discover that most of his anti-Hillary Clinton rant from the mid-1990s was still perfectly usable. “I got rid of the stuff about her ’93 health care plan, but besides that and a few other tiny fixes, there was still lots of good material,” said Willis, adding that once he updated it with a couple Benghazi details and a quick tag about the recent controversy over the presidential candidate’s State Department email server, the well-worn harangue would be good as new. “I figured out I could just replace the part about her being a frigid woman with how she’s just another corrupt Washington politician, so that was an easy fix. I’ll probably tighten up the Whitewater section a bit, but unless there are any big surprises during campaign season, this should easily last through the election.” At press time, Willis happily realized he could simply recycle the allegation that Clinton conspired to murder Deputy White House Counsel Vince Foster without changing a single word

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Why is Cruz' logo a teardrop anyway?

CRUZ: MAKING AMERICA CRY LIKE NO CANADIAN HAS SINCE 1812.

It represents the tears of his supporters when he loses the Republican primary, and the tears of all other Republicans when they lose the general.

Also you may have noticed that it looks kind of crooked, and if you draw a vertical line down the center, it is so mechanically, as well. This represents how crooked Ted Cruz is.

An Honest Logo.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

BGrifter posted:

Why won't Hillary release her Tetris scores???

If she can't get the space shuttle ending by beating the level 9 high 5 challenge, then she's not getting my vote.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

What 2012 GOP Candidate said this today

quote:

“We need to realize how close this clock is to getting towards the midnight hour...we need to cry out to the holy God,” It’s just like the Bible forewarned: in the last days it will be like the beginning of birth pangs. In my opinion, we are far beyond the beginning of birth pangs. We’re moving far down into the process. For women who are listening to this show today, you know what I’m talking about. What it’s like to deliver a baby at the very beginning stages and then at the very end before the baby is born. All I can tell you as a mom who has given birth to five babies, the birth pangs are very close together, they are very intense now and we are literally watching month by month the speed move up to a level we’ve never seen before with these events. Barack Obama is intent, it is his number one goal, to ensure that Iran has a nuclear weapon. Why? Why would you put the nuclear weapon in the hands of mad men?”

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I think she means we're supposed to eat the three umbilical cords and then when Obama is defeated we get to fight the moon presence (moon god (Allah)) to get the real ending.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Just saw this on facebook

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://www.onthemedia.org/story/on-the-media-2015-04-17/

OTM did a segment on media coverage of the horserace. Pretty good episode all-around, they replay Bob's thing from last year's Correspondent's Dinner at the end. His interaction with Blitzer is still funny.

quote:

As the 2016 campaign season begins, we discuss the words used repeatedly to describe candidates, and how to cover those who are unlikely to win. Plus: the uncertain right to record police; a critical examination of Washington's "nerd prom"; and more.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

It's not surprising, but it's still worrying.

Walker might be able to be bland enough that the primary season doesn't cause him to say or do anything crazy enough that would disqualify him from winning the general.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Neeksy posted:

It's not surprising, but it's still worrying.

Walker might be able to be bland enough that the primary season doesn't cause him to say or do anything crazy enough that would disqualify him from winning the general.

I hope he likens public sector unions to ISIS again.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006
Had a funny thought yesterday:

So we like to jokingly talk about Hillary Clinton keeping Biden as VP For Life, but have acknowledged that this is unlikely because she'd need somebody younger to balance the ticket. Others have noted that they would prefer Biden for President.

But, suppose whoever the GOP nominates were to choose Biden as VP? :laugh:

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Just saw this on facebook

Loden?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In response to Alex Jones just askin' questions, the Jeb Bush campaign has confirmed its candidate will not attend the 2015 Bilderberg conference.

Wrap it up, NWOailures!

Young Hegelian
Aug 27, 2012

Joementum posted:

In response to Alex Jones just askin' questions, the Jeb Bush campaign has confirmed its candidate will not attend the 2015 Bilderberg conference.

Wrap it up, NWOailures!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I know it's early but it really seems like nothing will really hit Clinton hard enough to make the polls flip against her.

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax

I know it's early but...

It hasn't even started yet.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I know it's early but it really seems like nothing will really hit Clinton hard enough to make the polls flip against her.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
After 25 years of screaming about Hillary, all the GOP has done is made anything 'new' seem like just another attack on the perpetually hated woman. Beanghazi doesn't help. To a lot of young people, hating Hillary means hating the 90's, which they are not about to do.

They've only made her stronger.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

And during the entire time that graph represents, Iran was holding Americans hostage and Reagan was bludgeoning Carter over the head with them.

e:

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 21, 2015

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Never underestimate the ability of Democrats to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Why yes, 2004 was my first election why do you ask

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

It is kind of surprising considering Scott Walker's potential unfavorables, but I guess when you have ludicrous sums of money in your bank account it doesn't really sting much to spend a small percentage of it on a longer shot like Walker. The entire GOP field is going to be busy trying to suck in Koch money, but Walker is where they feel they will get the most upside. Even if Walker loses it's not like the actual nominee is going to tell the Kochs to pound sand.

It's unclear Walker could even carry his home state in the presidential election. The attack ads just write themselves.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i've been thinking about politics and stuff when it just came to me this new discovery about hillary, if u rearrange the letters in the name hillary u get 'liar' but then, what does 'hly' mean (these are the left over letters)??. im come to that. last name: clinton, ie, cointl (so we have cointl liar), so we have cointl liar....COINT[e]L[pro?]. what about the rest of the letters 'ltn' & 'hly'? the only explanation is that they must be part of a letter cipher to decrypt a number station broadcasts, more resarch needs to be done but crack this code & we might know the number station NHRM hrc is using. ive always been a big fan of truth for free so feelf ree u guys to take my findings and do more research on this explosive news they dont want u to know

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Ltn = Latin, hly = Holy

She's an agent of the Catholic Church.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Never underestimate the ability of Democrats to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Why yes, 2004 was my first election why do you ask

2004 had a lot of good reasons why GWB won, it's 2000 that's the funky one.

• Locked thread