Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

TheQat posted:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/tulsa-sheriff-stanley-glanz-fbi-closed-investigation tulsa sheriff claims FBI exonerated his department in the reserve deputy shooting

Nah, they don't have jurisdiction for that. They probably said that there was not enough evidence to bring charges for a civil rights violation and the sheriff is either confused or covering his rear end/his friends rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jarmak posted:

Yeah but your message was completely wrong, we didn't use less restraint.

Fine, I guess I either misremembered the article, or the author was incorrect. You win.

The police are still too loving violent and no-knock raids are used way too loving often.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
Oopsy daisy! :iamafag:

quote:

The FBI has admitted "errors" in evidence provided by its forensics laboratory to US courts to help secure convictions, including in death penalty cases, over more than 20 years.

A report by the Office of the Inspector General (OIG) noted "irregularities" in the hair analysis unit.

More detail on the cases affected is expected later from campaign groups.

Flawed forensics were used in at least 60 capital punishment cases, the OIG report found.

Fourteen defendants were either executed or died in prison, says the Washington Post, which first reported the story at the weekend.

The review of cases was prompted by the Post's 2012 story that three men were wrongly placed at the scene of violent crimes by the unit's hair analysts, raising the possibility of hundreds of unsafe convictions.

The WP's more thorough report: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...c310_story.html

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
The reporters who said that that reserve deputy's training papers were falsified resigned, reasons unclear

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

As a reminder, a ton(but not all) of forensics is poorly supported junk science.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

quote:

Earlier, the newspaper's executive editor, Susan Ellerbach, told TPM by phone that the reporters left the publication on Monday.

"They turned in two weeks resignation and said that they had another opportunity," Ellerbach said. "So we accepted their resignations and they left today."

quote:

Goforth told TPM in a direct message over Twitter that he, Branstetter and two other The Tulsa World reporters had another job offer in the works for a few months. The offer came from a local news website that hasn't been launched yet.

"Word got out Friday night, and they told us stay or go today. So we're officially at the new job today," he said.
Unclear?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Good thing the FBI is must more trustworthy then local police. (Not sure what point I'm trying to make here, just pissed off)

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
They've copped to it and are three years into the process of reviewing thousands of past cases, which is better than clearing themselves of all wrongdoing after a cursory investigation. :shrug:

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Murderion posted:

They've copped to it and are three years into the process of reviewing thousands of past cases, which is better than clearing themselves of all wrongdoing after a cursory investigation. :shrug:

Yeah, I know and that definitely counts in their favor. Just feel very strongly about capital punishment.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

The story about this is everybody who quit was a crony of the old mayor and the new one ran on an anticorruptuin campaign.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

So Dante Servin, the Chicago cop who shot Rekia Boyd while off-duty in 2012, has been found not guilty. The judge dismissed the case, saying the prosecution did not prove their case, so Servin didn’t even have to present a defense.

quote:

[Judge] Porter said that while he had no doubt Servin shot Boyd, he didn't think prosecutors adequately proved that Servin acted recklessly — one of the requirements for finding someone guilty of manslaughter.

"It is easy to say, 'Of course [Servin] was reckless. He intentionally shot in the direction of a group of people on the sidewalk. That is really dangerous. ... Case closed,'" Porter said. "It is easy to think that way, but it is wrong. It ignores the law on this subject."

Porter pointed to a history of Illinois court rulings that say: When someone intends to fire a gun, points toward his victim and shoots — much like Servin did on March 21, 2012 — that behavior is not reckless.

Edit: Looking into it more it seems like prosecutors tanked this case. The judge was visible annoyed announcing his decision and his judgement is basically an argument Servin should have been charged with murder.

Atrocious Joe fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 21, 2015

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Atrocious Joe posted:

So Dante Servin, the Chicago cop who shot Rekia Boyd while off-duty in 2012, has been found not guilty. The judge dismissed the case, saying the prosecution did not prove their case, so Servin didn’t even have to present a defense.

So... It was murder? He didn't recklessly kill her, he killed her carefully? I don't understand. Is the judge saying they should have tried him for 1st degree murder but since they only tried him for manslaughter and he isn't guilty of manslaughter, he gets to go home free?

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Stereotype posted:

So... It was murder? He didn't recklessly kill her, he killed her carefully? I don't understand.

Basically. The prosecutors filed for Involuntary Manslaughter, not first/second degree murder. Because the prosecution didn't make a case for an actually accidental killing, the involuntary manslaughter charges had to go.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Another actually promising person abandoned their dream of helping people via police work after realizing that many cops are murderous gangbangers and he wouldnt be able to change anything.

http://www.alternet.org/police-cadet-quits-academy-reports-cops-after-witnessing-homeless-man-being-beaten-officers

quote:

Police Cadet Quits Academy, Reports Cops After Witnessing Homeless Man Being Beaten By Officers

District Attorney Kari Brandenburg has provided new details in the case of two Albuquerque police officers who are under investigation for brutality after allegedly beating a homeless man on March 20. According to Brandenburg, the person who reported the assault was a police cadet who has since resigned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYVYw46smyw

The department has not named the officers involved, provided any details on the beating or condition of the victim, or even reported where exactly the incident took place

Since 2009, the troubled department has been involved in 47 shootings, 32 of which were fatal. Chief Eden has stated that these numbers reflect a “systemic failure in our ability to track employee misconduct.” :kiddo:

In April of last year, the department was accused of using excessive force by the Justice Department after the frightening murder of the homeless James Boyd when he was approached for “illegally camping.” Boyd was shot by an officer who had discussed his plans to shoot him in the penis, hours prior to his death. Their own police chief openly admitted that he is stuck with officers who should not be on the force. :saddowns:

While the APD may have lost a desperately needed actual “good cop”, the violent duo accused of the assault are currently on paid leave.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Atrocious Joe posted:

That ruling is amazingly messed up.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Where is our resident law-defender to tell us how this is really not that uncommon and we should be happy that it exists because of _______.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

DARPA posted:

Unclear?

yeah

quote:

The executive editor of The Tulsa World newspaper told TPM on Monday afternoon that while she doesn't "have any reason to doubt" the sources of a blockbuster article the paper published last week she is now working "to verify" those sources after the two journalists who wrote it resigned earlier in the day.

Then on Monday, Goforth and Branstetter resigned suddenly from the newspaper. In an interview with TPM, The Tulsa World executive editor, Susan Ellerbach, said the reporters' departure was not related to the Bates article. But when pressed on whether the newspaper was standing behind their story, Ellerbach pointedly declined to respond, saying: "That's all I'd like to say right now."

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Agrajag posted:

That ruling is amazingly messed up.

From the reports it sounds like it was a deliberate tanking by the Prosecution and the Judge could smell the poo poo but technically his hands are too legally tied to wipe.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Berk Berkly posted:

From the reports it sounds like it was a deliberate tanking by the Prosecution and the Judge could smell the poo poo but technically his hands are too legally tied to wipe.

The judge outright says that aiming a gun and pulling the trigger cannot be considered reckless, meaning he couldn't rule on a charge of reckless behavior by the cop, so the judge was implying the cop should've been charged with deliberately murdering a human being.

God the loving ego of these cops

quote:

After court, Servin told reporters he felt bad for Boyd's family, but that his family had also suffered since the March 2012 shooting.

"Justice was served today," Servin said. "I've always maintained that an accident occurred with Miss Boyd. ... I think it was a mistake for the state's attorney to charge me. But I also explained to the family, if this is what they needed for closure, to be charged, I hope they got what they're looking for."

"Let's make sure everyone knows I'm also a victim"

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
I...can't parse how the fact that an act was intentional means it isn't reckless? I intentionally drove 30 MPH over the speed limit, so how could that be reckless driving? If the judge is right on the law...this is a pretty weird legal situation from the outside.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I...can't parse how the fact that an act was intentional means it isn't reckless? I intentionally drove 30 MPH over the speed limit, so how could that be reckless driving? If the judge is right on the law...this is a pretty weird legal situation from the outside.

quote:

"It is easy to say, 'Of course [Servin] was reckless. He intentionally shot in the direction of a group of people on the sidewalk. That is really dangerous. ... Case closed,'" Porter said. "It is easy to think that way, but it is wrong. It ignores the law on this subject."

Porter pointed to a history of Illinois court rulings that say: When someone intends to fire a gun, points toward his victim and shoots — much like Servin did on March 21, 2012 — that behavior is not reckless.

The judge is saying the shooting was a deliberate act, and he couldn't ignore case law that established it as such. Basically "the prosecutor gave me an impossible case to try by setting the charges such that case law requires me to find them not applicable and dismiss."

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

pentyne posted:

The judge is saying the shooting was a deliberate act, and he couldn't ignore case law that established it as such. Basically "the prosecutor gave me an impossible case to try by setting the charges such that case law requires me to find them not applicable and dismiss."

Yes, I get that, but I don't understand what legal twists and turns get us to that point. "As a deliberate act, I drove 120 MPH down a twisty road in the middle of the night in the fog. Since it was deliberate, it is not reckless."

As I understand the dictionary, not legal, definition of recklessness it's about a lack of concern for potential consequences just as much as it can be an act of thoughtlessness. "Even though I know my driving is dangerous, I recklessly did it anyway because I don't care if someone gets hurt because of it."

If you intentionally shoot a gun off toward a group of people there can be a lot of situations where that can be reckless in the dictionary sense even if it is not in a legal sense. I understand dictionary definitions have no bearing here, but I'm still left with nothing but a WTF until there is some more reporting on how the legal determination was made that established this precedent. I mean, what if he was eating a hot dog as he shot and aimed one handed while also messing with his car radio. Is the only legal question regarding the charge of recklessness if he intended to shoot?

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 21, 2015

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

The judge out and out says that the required elements of murder were proven by the prosecution if you read the full order. The ruling looks absolutely correct, the DA is the issue here.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Yes, I get that, but I don't understand what legal twists and turns get us to that point. "As a deliberate act, I drove 120 MPH down a twisty road in the middle of the night in the fog. Since it was deliberate, it is not reckless."

As I understand the dictionary, not legal, definition of recklessness it's about a lack of concern for potential consequences just as much as it can be an act of thoughtlessness. "Even though I know my driving is dangerous, I recklessly did it anyway because I don't care if someone gets hurt because of it."

If you intentionally shoot a gun off toward a group of people there can be a lot of situations where that can be reckless in the dictionary sense even if it is not in a legal sense. I understand dictionary definitions have no bearing here, but I'm still left with nothing but a WTF until there is some more reporting on how the legal determination was made that established this precedent. I mean, what if he was eating a hot dog as he shot and aimed one handed while also messing with his car radio. Is the only legal question regarding the charge of recklessness if he intended to shoot?
Sort of. I'm not a lawyer, so I'm sure others can explain it better, but as the judge notes in his decision, it's an established principle that a defendant can not be convicted of a more serious crime than that with which he is charged. Involuntary manslaughter (in Illinois at least) specifically means the killing of another through recklessness, which means that unless the prosecution establishes that the defendant's conduct was reckless (and in this case it's stipulated by both sides that it was not reckless, but in fact intentional) then they have not made out their case. They may have actually made out a case for a more serious charge, but since they went with involuntary manslaughter for some reason, they've failed to meet their burden of proof.

As folks above have said, I don't think the judge reached the wrong conclusion on the law, I think the prosecutors screwed the pooch, whether intentionally or unintentionally.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Normally, a prosecutor would set charges of first degree, manslaughter: you're allowed to charge on multiple contradictory charges, so a jury can find a man innocent of first degree but guilty of manslaughter. This is to avoid exactly this situation. They can't find him guilty of both. The Supreme Court decision establishing this is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beck_v._Alabama.

This is purely a choice by the prosecutor. It is either magnificently gross incompetence or corruption, neither of which is good.

This case also shows that the balance of power in this system lies in the hands of the prosecutor, who can both tank investigations into cops and set the targets for the cops of who can be successfully prosecuted. In terms of criminal stuff--not traffic, riot control, etc, but crime--the prosecutors' office wields huge power and control over cops. Reformation of police makes no sense without reforming the prosecutor's' office; reformed police departments would just have pressure brought to bear on them until they resembled what the prosecutors wanted again, at least in terms of the criminal investigatory arm.

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

reckless driving is going to fast, and possibly losing control of the car, the judge is saying he wasn't driving to fast, he was driving on the sidewalk, on purpose.

does that make more sense?

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
So on the other hand, he could still be tried for murder at a later time without invoking double jeopardy.

Not that anyone will, but.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's the classic "off on a technicality". The prosecution set it up for a lower level of murder that was totally different, and they legally can't pin him during that trial for a more grievous charge than what they've decided to charge him with. Because the differing levels of murder have pretty strict definitions, they were effectively trying him for a crime he didn't commit and letting him get off.

I wouldn't hesitate to pin the decision to charge him with involuntary manslaughter as corruption. While it's already pretty common with things like plea deals to try people for a lower level of crime as a measure of leniency, the prosecution took a guy who they had a really solid case to prosecute for murder and gave him a lower level that has a strict definition he didn't fit. And thus they were able to take a man who literally aimed and fired at a group of unarmed people for no apparent reason beyond a bullshit "I thought I was shot" excuse and have him declared not guilty.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

Cichlid the Loach posted:

So on the other hand, he could still be tried for murder at a later time without invoking double jeopardy.

Not that anyone will, but.
Again, not a lawyer, but I don't think this is correct. Even though he wasn't tried for murder, he was tried for the potential criminal acts surrounding the death of Rekia Boyd, and jeopardy attaches to the act rather than the specific charge a prosecutor chooses to levy. Otherwise prosecutors could keep you in court theoretically indefinitely while they charge you with each possible crime related to some sequence of events, one at a time.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
So the definition for "reckless driving" in Illinois is:

"drives any vehicle with a willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property"

Sounds like aiming your gun at someone disregards the safety of those people and is reckless, I completely disagree with whatever bullshit previous case law he is talking about.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Stereotype posted:

So the definition for "reckless driving" in Illinois is:

"drives any vehicle with a willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property"

Sounds like aiming your gun at someone disregards the safety of those people and is reckless, I completely disagree with whatever bullshit previous case law he is talking about.

Yeah that's the sort of thing that is throwing me for a loop. I can't find any other legal or dictionary definition where a reckless act must be an unintentional act. You could easily be charged with reckless driving for driving on a sidewalk intentionally as far as I can tell. I'm sure the judge is on solid footing with the precedent but boy is it hard to parse for someone who doesn't know the applicable law.

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 21, 2015

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

JohnClark posted:

Again, not a lawyer, but I don't think this is correct. Even though he wasn't tried for murder, he was tried for the potential criminal acts surrounding the death of Rekia Boyd, and jeopardy attaches to the act rather than the specific charge a prosecutor chooses to levy. Otherwise prosecutors could keep you in court theoretically indefinitely while they charge you with each possible crime related to some sequence of events, one at a time.

Its not quite that simple, the basis for double jeopardy is what required facts need to be proven for the charge, not the event the charges are based on. I'm not a lawyer so maybe there's more case law then Blockburger that would make this clearer (or maybe my understanding of that ruling is off, since it mostly deals with additional charges to a guilty or untried defendant), but absent that I'd almost think that could be issue that goes all the way to the Supreme court for resolution.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JohnClark posted:

I believe this is correct. However, there's some legal gray areas and overlap regarding it. If a crime applies to multiple jurisdictions, it's possible for those jurisdictions to hold separate trials (the most common being federal vs. state courts). The US Supreme Court made a ruling after Blockburger v. United States, 284 U.S. 299 (1932): following acquittal, the government may bring a second prosecution on additional charges arising out of the same underlying events as the first prosecution so long as both the new crime charged and the prior crime each contain an element of proof that the other does not.

Unfortunately, this wouldn't work here. A lower category of murder has the same elements of proof as a higher one, so if he was acquitted for manslaughter the federal government couldn't just plop him down and put a first or second-degree murder charge on his shoulders. Likewise they couldn't pin a lesser violence charge like assault and/or battery, as both of those are obviously elements of a murder. What they could do is charge him on a totally separate violation, like a weapons violation or violation of civil rights.

And of course, none of this prevents a civil suit from being brought against him.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Yeah that's the sort of thing that is throwing me for a loop. I can't find any other legal or dictionary definition where a reckless act must be an unintentional act. You could easily be charged with reckless driving for driving on a sidewalk intentionally as far as I can tell. I'm sure the judge is on solid footing with the precedent but boy is it hard to parse for someone who doesn't know the applicable law.

The difference is being charged with a reckless act vs. being charged with causing something as a result of a reckless act.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Wasn't it an unregistered personal gun as well?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Think of it like this (THIS IS A SIMPLIFICATION AND NOT NECESSARILY THE LAW IN EVERY JURISDICTION):
If you drove 120 MPH down a twisty road in the middle of the night in the fog, that would be a reckless act. If you saw Bob crossing the street and deliberately ran him down with your car, the act would be criminal but not necessarily reckless. If the prosecution charged you with accidentally killing Bob, but spent their time at trial demonstrating how you deliberately and maliciously ran him down with your car, the judge would dismiss the case because they never proved the "accidental" element of the offense.

If you saw Bob brutally murdering Charlie with a machete while bystanders looked on in horror, and you drew your pistol and killed Bob with a single shot, you could not on that basis alone be charged or sued for recklessly endangering the bystanders because the act of aiming and firing the gun at a person you intended to kill was not inherently reckless.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 21, 2015

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

quote:

If you saw Bob crossing the street and deliberately ran him down with your car, the act would be criminal but not necessarily reckless.

The extra layer though is that this is a case about Jane who was killed accidentally in the course of my failed attempt to kill Bob.

e: to note I see you addressed that.

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 21, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm reading the opinion

state proved elements of murder, but court did not undertake self defense analysis as murder was not charged

follow the citation to Eason and you get "[I]ntentionally firing into a crowd cannot be reckless." People v. Jefferson, 260 Ill. App. 3d 895, 912 (Ill. App. 1994).

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 21, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

FuriousxGeorge posted:

The judge stated that previous case law dictates that taking a gun, pointing it at someone and firing is not "reckless" but a deliberate act, meaning that he should've been charged as such. Since the DA didn't show "reckless" actions and those were the only charges the judge was forced to dismiss it. He was literally charged with something he could not have done according to the definition of the law and its hosed up but the judge only has so much power in this example.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-chicago-police-detective-manslaughter-trial-0421-met-20150420-story.html#page=1

quote:

Judge Dennis Porter ruled that prosecutors failed to prove that Dante Servin acted recklessly, saying that Illinois courts have consistently held that anytime an individual points a gun at an intended victim and shoots, it is an intentional act, not a reckless one. He all but said prosecutors should have charged Servin with murder, not involuntary manslaughter.

Servin cannot be retried on a murder charge because of double-jeopardy protections, according to his attorney, Darren O'Brien.

Its as corrupt and disgusting as it could possibly be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Is there any way there can be consequences for the DA in this, or are we in another "it's not a murder when a cop"

• Locked thread