Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Well crap. I put my seedlings out to harden yesterday morning, and two hours later all my Brandywine tomatos went as limp as a 80 year old's prick. Two have revived, the other 8 are looking rather dead.

I guess i'll be planting these two in two weeks and starting more outside from seed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
You guys and you're southern living... I'm still 3-4 weeks away from my frost date. Got a lot already going though. The blackberries are all tied up on the wires, onions are in the ground and I even am taking a gamble on some early green beans to see if they work out. The lettuce is already sprouting too.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I get to post a garden thing!

We worked this week-end.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
We live on the 10th floor and just got around to getting a container garden going with a bunch of different things. We haven't appeared to completely gently caress up as everything is alive but it's only been 5 days.

What is concerning to me is that up there we get some nasty rear end and ridiculous winds. Last summer there were multiple days where rain was straight up going sideways. In order to get the most light (almost everything is full sun) we have to have them on the corner which doubles the amount of wind they could get.

I'm not so much worried about them becoming airborne as I am worried about the plants actually breaking from the wind, especially the climbers and such as tomato plant. Also if we get any more mini-typhoons the sheer amount of water that hits that area could easily gently caress up anything planted.

I'm fine with bringing them inside if poo poo gets rough but we aren't going to be there at the start of every storm. We go camping for 2 weeks in July and that's usually when weather is at the height of anarchy. So what can we really do? Maybe create some sort of cage and make sure vines are tied down?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Windbreaks are the answer. There are netting type windbreaks targeted at amateur/hobby gardeners which you can probably set up on your balcony(?). They make a semi-permeable but not solid barrier to reduce the battering your plants take. Solid barriers are actually not preferred, since the wind which goes around them can fall into damaging patterns as well.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

RedTonic posted:

Windbreaks are the answer. There are netting type windbreaks targeted at amateur/hobby gardeners which you can probably set up on your balcony(?). They make a semi-permeable but not solid barrier to reduce the battering your plants take. Solid barriers are actually not preferred, since the wind which goes around them can fall into damaging patterns as well.

Ah, great thanks. I'll look into that!

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I've lost a few plants this season to wind, and it beat the poo poo out of my peppers. I've had multiple days of 25+ mph winds, with gusts up to 50. My back yard is a typical southwester block wall affair, so stuff whips back and forth a lot. I've had a lot of plants get twisted and strangled or snap clean off at the ground from being blown around in a circle too much. I've been thinking about windbreaks out of garden/construction fencing, but honestly that doesn't seem like it would be that effective to me. I don't think they are 50% permeable, more like 80%.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
Can anyone identify these eggs that were on the bottom of one of my apple tree leaves?

Corkscrew
May 20, 2001

Nothing happened. I'm Julius Pepperwood. Let it go.
My guess would be butterfly or moth eggs. Doesn't look like stink bugs at any rate, so there's that.

Corkscrew
May 20, 2001

Started my "garden" (Zone 6) about a week ago. Might be a touch early, and the next couple nights are going to have my sweating whether to put frostcloth out or not, but so far so good.

Black Prince, Yellow Pear, Heinz Roma, San Marzano, and Early Girl tomatoes, Cajun Belle peppers, and Black Beauty eggplant so far, all in 5-gallon buckets. Yes, I know indeterminate tomatoes don't do great in 5-gallons, but I'm feeling adventurous and stupid. I had pretty good luck with the San Marzanos last year in a smaller planter (if not for the loving deer that annihilated it) so it should do all right in the 5-gal.

Going to (hopefully) add some type of cukes and another couple varieties of peppers before all is said and done. Last year's other peppers aside from Cajun Belle were Sata Fe Grandes and Tabasco but I wasn't super impressed with either.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Yo, zone 6 buddy! I'm afraid to put out tomatoes and stuff before 5/11 here. I don't want to deal with mildew (again). I've already had some fungus strike a couple collards this spring.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I have the opportunity to start a garden where I'm living now so I figured I'd give it a go. I'm in Canada zone 5a/b (not sure how that compares to US zones).

Anyhow, the landlord moved into the house a few years ago. I'm pretty sure the raised beds haven't been touched since they moved in.

Where do I begin with this mess? Dig it all up and put in new soil? Tear up what I can and till the rest in?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I'm zone 7 (long island) and i've had the cold weather crops in for a few weeks (potato, onion, lettuce). I'm getting tempted to plant the warmer weather crops soon, but I'm going to hold off until at least the first weekend of May.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I'm technically in 7 I guess and it seems that it's fine. Friday says it'll get to 40 but that's not too crazy. Should I still consider pulling them inside?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

:lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t-PUIXUPgw

Hello McFancychef, here the the locally grown "lettuce" for your "restaurant" that costs $100 a pound because it was grown in a $76,000 shipping container ourfitted with hydroponics and iphone connected LED grow lights. In the future we eat only lettuce and other herbaceous plants suitable for hydroponics.

Since the machines blocked out the sun, citrus fruits are now more valuable than gold.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I'm in 5b and you're all making me feel like I'm super behind schedule. The unusually warm spring isn't helping but with my luck it'll get down to 25 or something two weeks from now.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Zone 9a- gonna have a crop o' tomatoes early next month. Almost all my varieties are setting fruit. My asparagus is almost done, and my wife's peas are yeilding pretty well. We could pick two plates worth every other day now.

Just wait till it gets too hot for fruit to set for me.

Corkscrew
May 20, 2001

RedTonic posted:

Yo, zone 6 buddy! I'm afraid to put out tomatoes and stuff before 5/11 here. I don't want to deal with mildew (again). I've already had some fungus strike a couple collards this spring.

I'm very watchful for that sort of thing, I bought a quart of neem oil concentrate for that exact purpose. The other nice thing, being that I have the stuff in buckets, is that I can move it into the basement over the next couple nights when it gets down close to freezing. Being extra cautious.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Corkscrew posted:

I'm very watchful for that sort of thing, I bought a quart of neem oil concentrate for that exact purpose. The other nice thing, being that I have the stuff in buckets, is that I can move it into the basement over the next couple nights when it gets down close to freezing. Being extra cautious.

Huh, I thought neem was just a pesticide! Might have to look at it. I lost all my curcurbits to mildew last year. Ugh.

Corkscrew
May 20, 2001

RedTonic posted:

Huh, I thought neem was just a pesticide! Might have to look at it. I lost all my curcurbits to mildew last year. Ugh.

If you get powdery mildew or other surface fungi you have to use neem oil repeatedly until it's gone, it's not a one-shot-kill kind of thing. But it DOES work, plus it's not harmful to plants and it's non-toxic and controls whiteflies, aphids, etc. $14 or so for a bottle of concentrate and that nets you 24 gallons worth of mix. I love the stuff.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

So I'm not super confident in my tomatoes right now. The lowest it's been is 60 but drainage may have been a problem because there was 6 days of No Container Spacing. Is this the right place to post pictures of my dumb plants?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

mrmcd posted:

:lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t-PUIXUPgw

Hello McFancychef, here the the locally grown "lettuce" for your "restaurant" that costs $100 a pound because it was grown in a $76,000 shipping container ourfitted with hydroponics and iphone connected LED grow lights. In the future we eat only lettuce and other herbaceous plants suitable for hydroponics.

Since the machines blocked out the sun, citrus fruits are now more valuable than gold.

That was remarkable. The target market for this product seems to be 'People who have enough money to throw around on stupid poo poo that is far less effective than a custom build solution and who are too stupid to realise the custom built solution would cost a fraction of the price'

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

ghetto wormhole posted:

I'm in 5b and you're all making me feel like I'm super behind schedule. The unusually warm spring isn't helping but with my luck it'll get down to 25 or something two weeks from now.

Welcome to spring gardening. I think I finally am happy with where I'm at but even dedicating way too much time to it I feel like I could have already put down another row of onion.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Is this the right place to post pictures of my dumb plants?

Post dem pics. I can't read, I just browse threads for images.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Corkscrew posted:

Mildew kicked my rear end last year in zone 6 too. I should get some Neem oil too... I also need to dig the ditches around my garden deeper. I think I might try starting my transplant seeds this weekend. It might still be too soon though...

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I've already got most of my starts going, excepting melons. It's not a bad idea to get most of your seeds started now. Some of them I've already hardened off and transplanted.

I hope that within the next couple of days, I'll be able to move more mature seedlings into bigger pots to get on with round 2 of outdoors htfu.

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 22, 2015

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
After 13 days my chili seedlings have just started to sprout. Hooray! I'd almost given up on them.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

Motronic posted:

This is something that is really common about 20 miles south of me closer to Philly. Crocuses come up and are about done by the time you have to mow the lawn the first time.

I really need to get a whole mess of bulbs and carpet bomb about a 1/2 acre of side yard with them. It's just not something you see around here and it would be awesome.

I am trying to fill up the area in-between the fruit trees. The goal is to have a flowering area as long as possible.
Starting with crocuses, tulips and daffodils.
Also roses etc.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Orions Lord posted:

I am trying to fill up the area in-between the fruit trees. The goal is to have a flowering area as long as possible.
Starting with crocuses, tulips and daffodils.
Also roses etc.

Not bulbs, but... Try bee balm/monarda and hyssop, too! They put out glorious summer blooms.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Guys, I think I killed my mint. :confused:

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
Na-uh. Nope. It's lulling you into a false sense of security before it comes back angry. :j: I have mint everywhere--whether or not I want it is of no concern to the mint.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I'm really really hoping my mint flips out and just takes over and requires me to dump it in a hilarious pot because I love me some mint julips

Corkscrew
May 20, 2001

Alterian posted:

Guys, I think I killed my mint. :confused:

My mint was in a 12" square planter last year and somehow managed to send a tendril out of the planter and up a step into the next 12" square planter where my cilantro was. The straggler had already started to root in the soil before I caught it and ripped it off.

You haven't killed your mint. You've only made it angrier.

Corkscrew
May 20, 2001

Here's a question. Next couple nights here are going to come close to freezing. Rather than gently caress with frostcloth, I hit on the idea to just move all my planters into the cellar access behind closed doors. They're not inside, but the doors close and lock completely so they're not exposed to potential moisture like they would be if they were just out on my deck.

Good idea or bad idea for avoiding frost?

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I have various seedlings going and they all have purple stems. I used Dr Earth to fertilize the mix (5-7-3), so that combined with the fact that it's affecting all the various vegetable types makes me think it's a temperature issue. It's about 65* under the lights, and they look healthy and are growing vigorously without getting leggy. Will they be fine once they get transplanted outside, barring any frost?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I think its because I have an actual mint garden where I want it to grow. Its been successful for a couple of years, but last year it got infested with stilt grass. Now its just a weedy stilt grass mess. I might have to go buy some new mint.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Maybe the one spoken of in legend has arrived. Teach us your ways o slayer of the mint!

But seriously though mint is tough stuff. I don't think I've heard of it getting established then getting crowded out. My parents built a deck over their mint and still had to resort to roundup to finish the job. If you clear out the grass it might pop back.

Or you can nuke it with roundup. Otherwise you will be fighting stilt grass forever.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

It frosted today in my zone 6 area. It was about 30F. I hope it doesn't mess up my blueberry plants that were flowering...

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Yikes.

So far so good here. No night has hit 32F since the first week of April, I believe. Stupid as it sounds, I was hoping for a light frost, since that's helpful for germinating some varieties of flower seeds I planted outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

Maybe the one spoken of in legend has arrived. Teach us your ways o slayer of the mint!

But seriously though mint is tough stuff. I don't think I've heard of it getting established then getting crowded out. My parents built a deck over their mint and still had to resort to roundup to finish the job. If you clear out the grass it might pop back.

Or you can nuke it with roundup. Otherwise you will be fighting stilt grass forever.

I might put some headphones on and weed the poo poo out of it and see what I can find.