Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Gonna make a Jake's dojo level where you have to use his nunchaku on everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Make a level where there's you in a tiny room at the start, and a door, and then a vast black void. As soon as you so much as open the door the guys across the map with assault rifles who are confined behind a solid wall of windows will gun you down immediately.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I almost thought the editor was out by now. But eh. There an actual date for it now?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

widespread posted:

There an actual date for it now?

Hahahahahahaha.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I hope people figure out a way to put in custom music. Also maybe some way to make it so the Son's techinques aren't just the Fans'

King Vidiot posted:

Make a level where there's you in a tiny room at the start, and a door, and then a vast black void. As soon as you so much as open the door the guys across the map with assault rifles who are confined behind a solid wall of windows will gun you down immediately.

Time to Mark. :getin:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 20, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Anatharon posted:

I hope people figure out a way to put in custom music. Also maybe some way to make it so the Son's techinques aren't just the Fans'

It wouldn't work for distributing levels, but theoretically couldn't you just find the .ogg files in the directory and replace them with other .oggs of different songs that are named the same thing? Would that work?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Not this time. The resources aren't open like that anymore.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

The .WAD format used for the assets has been reverse engineered/documented, though, so unless the game depends on certain hardcoded offsets or something horrible like that, it should be possible to write a repacker and swap .oggs in.

Distributing music with levels would be a nightmare in terms of bandwidth costs and/or copyright violations.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Vlad the Retailer posted:

The .WAD format used for the assets has been reverse engineered/documented, though, so unless the game depends on certain hardcoded offsets or something horrible like that, it should be possible to write a repacker and swap .oggs in.

Distributing music with levels would be a nightmare in terms of bandwidth costs and/or copyright violations.

Yeah the first game's music isn't being included for the copyright reason.

Manually replacing them should be doable though.

I'd like to create full 10 level stories for each of the characters like I'd hoped HLM2 would have, and I had some music in mind for some of them.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

I'll give song injection/repacking a shot later today if I have some time - ideally, you should be able to just append the extra song data to the end of the .wad and change the offsets, but for some reason I can't get that to work.

Switching soundtracks between levels with some quick hex editing works, though, in case anyone wants a mod that turns every song into Roller Mobster.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Pirate Jet posted:

- Pig butcher was never meant to be in HM1, despite all signs to the contrary.

I tested HLM1 a few months before the game was announced, with most of Jacket's missions completely finished and detailed until the game suddenly came to a quit where Biker would arrive. it makes me think that pig butcher was just an early design for Biker tbh.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

poptart_fairy posted:

This makes me extremely uncomfortable.

If that makes you uncomfortable you definitely shouldn't watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxKPBLjHAEA

TheJoker138 posted:

It wouldn't work for distributing levels, but theoretically couldn't you just find the .ogg files in the directory and replace them with other .oggs of different songs that are named the same thing? Would that work?

Yep, but you'd have to redo the whole process each time, huge pain in the butt. If you started playing the normal levels without swapping back you'd still have the wrong soundtrack.

scamtank posted:

Not this time. The resources aren't open like that anymore.

Those files have been reverse engineered for centuries, I ripped all the song data out of the game files as soon as it was released. Copying over them and re-zipping it all up should be pretty easy honestly, just a hassle to do each time.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Anatharon posted:

Nope, that level's going to be Jake only :v:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah what we need is a repacker that streamlines all the heavy lifting. I'd loving love to be able to put some other Carpenter Brut or Perturbator or Megadrive tracks over my custom levels.

e: Also, Detective Manuel Pardo was a real person. This loving game. :stare:

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
9 hours until Hotline Kavkaz is released on Steam.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Yeah what we need is a repacker that streamlines all the heavy lifting. I'd loving love to be able to put some other Carpenter Brut or Perturbator or Megadrive tracks over my custom levels.

e: Also, Detective Manuel Pardo was a real person. This loving game. :stare:

It made the twist pretty obvious for anyone who knew about the real Manny Pardo. Moreso than it was already, that is.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

Made a quick and dirty repacker (requires Python 3 on Mac/Linux). I'll move it to Github once I've cleaned up the code a bit.

How to use:
  • Back up your data files before you do anything.
  • Use hlm2-wad-extract, and move all the extracted data files into their own folder.
  • Modify the files inside this folder - replace music tracks, sprites etc.
  • If you're on Windows, drag the folder with the extracted files onto hlm2-repacker.exe. If not, call hlm2-repacker.py from the command line with the path to the extracted files (like $ hlm2-repacker.py unpacked/).
  • The repacker will then spit out a file called packed.wad. Rename it to hlm2_data_desktop.wad, and move it into the HLM2 folder (again, make sure you've backed up the old one first).

Another caveat: I haven't figured out how the patching mechanism is set up, so sprites will probably be overwritten by patches (meaning no custom VHS covers yet). Music replacement works excellently though.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sperglord Firecock posted:

9 hours until Hotline Kavkaz is released on Steam.

is there any chance this is a dupe and the level editor gets released instead and this disappears from steam

the production values of the trailer look way too good for graphics that look like 8-bit color depth drawn in MSPaint

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

regardless of how poo poo the game may be i really want that soundtrack of bloodline kavka

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

UIApplication posted:

is there any chance this is a dupe and the level editor gets released instead and this disappears from steam

the production values of the trailer look way too good for graphics that look like 8-bit color depth drawn in MSPaint

IIRC the game is a small project that got latched onto by the Russian internet community after the fact and blew up so it kind of makes sense , like how the guy who makes Touhou can barely draw but there's fucktons of professional-looking fan art and videos made about the games. Or how Cheetahmen II became a Japanese meme and shows up in a lot of videos and fan games.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Hotline Khlav Kalash looks like it might be fun. If it's cheap enough I will probably pick it up.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

UIApplication posted:

No, there is no chance. As much as I'd like this to be a Kojima-esque rear end-pull, Dennaton (or at least, Dennis) have said that yes Kavaz is a real thing and no they don't care except that they asked them to take 'Hotline' out of the title, which they did. I'm honestly sincerely excited for it if only to know just how bad it will be.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I hope they keep that "alalalalala" scream as shown in the trailer and that early prototype

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I know it's not technically the "end of April" yet but seriously, where is my vinyl soundtrack already? At this rate I'm tempted to just go Full Scumbag and try to double my money on eBay when I get it :(

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Had to share this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B-lQakVrnI

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Similarly: (volume warning)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9zoWFy9iz0

Can't wait until someone recreates Heat scene-by-scene in the rockstar editor. Also a Heat recreation in the HM2 level editor.

Heat recreations in all of the games. :getin:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

This is pretty much exactly what I've been doing in GTA5 all week.

My next idea is I'm going to dress up like Manny and then pay Lester to pay off the cops so that I can pretend that I'm a detective, shoot people up, and then walk out scot-free. :frogsiren:

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Please feel pity for me.

I'm about to descend into the depths of Bloodbath Kavkaz just to see how awful it truly is.

Edit:

this is loving awful

Edit 2:

It has Steam trading cards.

fishception fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 21, 2015

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

Awesome soundtrack – a mix of 80's techno and azerbaijani lezghinka will not leave you disappointed.

Okay

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
HOTLINE KAVKAZ CONTEST.

Make something amusing or cool within the vein of Hotline Miami, it can be IRL or a comic or whatever the heck. Post a picture of it.

3 winners, those three winners get the chance to play Bloodbath Kavkaz for free because I really want to share just how bad this loving game is.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

My only issues with Bloodbath Kavkaz are getting stuck on props and getting shot from offscreen foes which are the EXACT same issues I have with Hotline Miami so maybe it actually loving owns and is the true successor to the shooty rooster man genre.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Whoever made my av should get one

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

UIApplication posted:

what did I do to deserve this??

Vlad the Retailer posted:

Another caveat: I haven't figured out how the patching mechanism is set up

Turns out I over-thought this - the patches are obviously stored in the exact same format, so you can use the extractor/repacker for the patch .wad as well.

(Still trying to find the correct atlas for the VHS covers, though.)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

UIApplication posted:

Seconding this. They did good work!

And whoever posted the Pardo fan art that they found somewhere else in this thread ages ago should get one (I found the post!)

...but yeah give one away to someone else whatever.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Pls confirm if the soundtrack really Rick rolls you because lol

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Steam is going to be absolutely flooded with fan-made Fan campaigns when the level editor comes out, isn't it.

A bunch of them are going to have better maps than the actual game did, too

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 22, 2015

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Yes it does. Although unless you're paying attention, you won't notice.

I am serious about the contest though, if anyone wants to do stuff. Free Steam Games, even if it is a clunky unplayable mess with russians screaming loudly into your ear.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

The Saddest Rhino posted:

20 years too late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmY2wf7T428

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ8xce9HtD8

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I replayed HLM2 and realized something. I think the reason Richard says to Manny that he doesn't understand him is because Manny's levels start without any real leadup. You just show up, kill a whole lot of people, then are out with no connection or explanation. It's literally even less than Jacket had in the first game.

Homicide: He's having dinner or something, shoots up a mall full of robbers, then visits a crime scene.

Dead Ahead: He plants evidence at Alex's house, slaughters a bunch of... Drug runners? and then visits a crime scene.

Caught: He goes to a crime scene, kills a bunch of cops, then barricades himself in his apartment.

I hadn't really thought about the lac of leadup before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Anatharon posted:

Caught: He goes to a crime scene, kills a bunch of cops, then barricades himself in his apartment.

What? None of that was real, he never left his apartment.

• Locked thread