Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

otaku69
May 18, 2003

iyaayas01 posted:

I honestly can't think of anything better than Strategic Air and Space between Wyoming and Ohio...like I said, it's not a world-class museum in the US like Wright-Pat or the NASM/Udvar-Hazy, but it's still in the top tier of US museums, so if your travels are going to take you through NE I'd still budget at least half a day to a full day for the Strategic Air and Space museum. Depending on your travel plans, I'd plan on spending the night in Lincoln and then driving the half an hour to the museum, spending 4-6 hours there, and then spending the night in Omaha or maybe driving through to Des Moines depending on how much time you decide to spend at the museum. Omaha is going to have a lot more to offer from "things to do at night/dinner/bars/etc" than Des Moines but it's only another 30-45 minutes down the road from the museum so it's really only worth it if you spend 6+ hrs in the museum, otherwise timeline wise it probably makes more sense to drive on to Des Moines.

If you do plan on stopping in Omaha let me know, it's my hometown so I can point you in the direction of some decent restaurants/bars/etc.

Pepperjax is where it's at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

MrYenko posted:

Worlds longest, most depressing fuel stop.

Well, an emergency landing after a fire that burnt out most of the electrics, anyway...

http://studysupport.info/vulcanbomber/goose_bay.htm

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

FrozenVent posted:

How the gently caress did a Vulcan end up in Goose Bay of all places?

The RAF used Goose Bay extensively for cold weather training.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SybilVimes posted:

Well, an emergency landing after a fire that burnt out most of the electrics, anyway...

http://studysupport.info/vulcanbomber/goose_bay.htm

I was going to guess that it made an emergency landing there and was a write off so they just built a museum around it.

Surprised to find out I was right!

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Venusian Weasel posted:

Just a head's up - Yellowstone is really, really crowded in the summer. If there's any animal larger than a chipmunk near the road, there will be a two mile traffic jam caused by people stopping in the middle of the road to take pictures. If you want to get a good view of Old Faithful, show up immediately after it erupts because the seating area fills up fast. If you wanna get souvenirs, watch out for the obnoxious, rude touristy types to cut in the miles-long checkout lines. Budget 2/3 of your time just for getting around the park. It's a beautiful place with fascinating stuff, don't get me wrong, but it's one of the most overcrowded national parks in the States.

If you do decide to stop in Yellowstone, I recommend just staying on I-90 and going to see Devil's Tower and the Badlands. They're seriously stunning landscapes. For aerospace stuff, you can visit Minuteman National Monument in the Black Hills area, if you wanna tour an ICBM launch site. Then just follow 90 east to Chicago, get you some deep dish pizza before shooting down to Dayton, then hit up the Air and Space Museum and Udvar-Hazy in DC. I don't see much point in shooting further south to Nebraska, I don't think you'd be missing too much going to the museum there if you can hit Dayton.

vv Yeah. I've been there but didn't think it was worth mentioning. Really the only exhibit I can think of that you wouldn't see in Dayton or DC is the first manned ballon and pagoda system to ascend past 100,000 feet.

I went to Yellowstone in the middle of February and it was really nice. I highly recommend going in the winter.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

I believe this might be relevant right now.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Speaking of aviation museums, I was in Hawaii last week for work and took some time to go to the Pacific Aviation Museum on Ford Island. Nice museum, not a ton of planes but a pretty good spread between WW2, Korea, Vietnam and modern day, and more helicopters than I expected. I'll post some pics tonight.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I apologize for the Facebook link.

The sound of money leaping out of a guy's wallet:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10206548294656217&id=1536528996&_rdr

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Brovine posted:

I believe this might be relevant right now.

Those have the nastiest interiors of any plane I've been on.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Reminds me of a 340-600

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

757-300s look so ungainly, like a teenage 767-300

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

MrYenko posted:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10206548294656217&id=1536528996&_rdr

Are props departing from the propshaft (or blades from the hub) rare enough that people feel comfortable standing beside the runway as a low wing twin prop makes a belly landing?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

MrYenko posted:

I think this thread linked the video of this from the inside of the cockpit. If not this, something very similar.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Are props departing from the propshaft (or blades from the hub) rare enough that people feel comfortable standing beside the runway as a low wing twin prop makes a belly landing?

A landing, sure. The subsequent power-up and take-off would have been a little nerve-rattling to stand near.

:v:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

What in the gently caress did they use to take that video? That wasn't even potato quality.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
yes I'm two pages behind BUT:

I don't get why all you people are recommending Air and Space on the Mall in DC in the same sentence as U-H. They're so far from the same class it boggles the mind. Maybe it's because I've been there 472,000 times but I think A&S is entirely skippable compared to Udvar-Hazy, which is not.

I mean, sure, hit both if you can, but be honest about your priorities: if you're posting in this thread, U-H will be thousands of times better for you.

Also seconding anyone from BC going to Flying Heritage Collection and Museum of Flight; Seattle's probably easy for you to get to and those two are pretty drat good. Not in the tier of U-H or the Air Force museum in Dayton, but then, nothing else on the continent is.

e: oh man, visit Seattle on May 16. FHC is flying their P-47, F6F, and IL-2. Historic Flight Foundation and Cascade Warbirds are also putting planes up though I can't find out what.

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 20, 2015

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Psion posted:

I don't get why all you people are recommending Air and Space on the Mall in DC in the same sentence as U-H. They're so far from the same class it boggles the mind. Maybe it's because I've been there 472,000 times but I think A&S is entirely skippable compared to Udvar-Hazy, which is not.

Smithsonian still puts their best stuff on the Mall, if it fits. Especially the smaller historic planes like Spirit of St. Louis and the Bell X-1.

And skipping the space stuff on the mall would be crazy. Udvar-Hazy space section is the Space Shuttle plus... some other stuff that wasn't good enough to go in the Mall building.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

smackfu posted:

Smithsonian still puts their best stuff on the Mall, if it fits. Especially the smaller historic planes like Spirit of St. Louis and the Bell X-1.

yeah, "if it fits" is the key phrase, because nothing fits in that building (which is funny considering how big it is, but seriously)

also,

:lol:

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Psion posted:

yeah, "if it fits" is the key phrase, because nothing fits in that building (which is funny considering how big it is, but seriously)

also,

:lol:

:black101:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

the skull and crossbones (or ... skull face and axes, I guess) on the engine pods just get me. Apparently their lead singer is a qualified 757 pilot so he flew that plane. That's pretty cool too.

Same to you, buddy.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Degree posted:

Thanks, I might take you up on that.

Good call on the traffic, I think that's what I'll end up doing.

Now that you mention it, it makes sense that Yellowstone would be packed. I'll have to decide if the crowds are worth checking that particular box on my list of "typical tourist" things to do. The ICBM tour sounds cool too, but I might save Chicago for the drive back (mainly through Canada) because gently caress northern Ontario.

Just a thought from further south, does anyone have an opinion of the Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center? It looks like it would be a good stop, but I don't know if there's too much overlap with DC to make the trip down worthwhile.

Yellowstone is spectacular, and worth sitting in some traffic for. No matter how crowded it is, if you get 20' away from the road or parking lot, you won't see another soul.

Looking at various Yellowstone-DC routes, St. Louis is a cool town to spend a day or two in. The air-museum aspect is weak, considering they built well over 10,000 combat aircraft there from 1948-today, but there is some stuff. Some neat Mercury-Gemini stuff at the Science center, which is decent and free. You can grab lunch at the India Palace, it is an indian joint in a tiki-bar in the penthouse of a former howard johnson. Looks like a Mad Men set, food is decent, and the bay windows look out over Lambert Field, so you can watch F-15 and F-18 test and delivery flights (some days) as well as commercial traffic. Or if you are in town on a Friday or Saturday, you can get liquored up and climb through an enormous rebar, scrapped aircraft and repurposed industrial press climbing structure at the City Museum till midnight.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 20, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Psion posted:

I mean, sure, hit both if you can, but be honest about your priorities: if you're posting in this thread, U-H will be thousands of times better for you.
I'm not going to say that Udvar-Hazy might (or might not) be better let alone skippable, but the same people that are by and large followers of this thread would be all over the Air and Space museum. I mean, the artifacts there are absolutely staggeringly incredible. Spirit of St. Louis, Apollo 11 Columbia, Me262, X-15, Friendship 7, the mother-loving Wright Flyer, it just doesn't end.

Besides, they're like what, a little over an hour apart? A&S is truly a world class facility and is so full of history it's :psypop:

Any aero-freak has to see both if they are in the neighborhood of one. It's worth staying an extra day.

Already mentioned, but Yellowstone is a disaster in the summer months. It's a must-see, but I like May (maybe early June) or Sept. I actually thought Devils Tower kind of sucked but Rushmore and the Black Hills was worth a stop. Little Big Horn (close to Billings) is sort of cool to see if you're in the neighborhood and history floats your boat.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

slidebite posted:

Besides, they're like what, a little over an hour apart? A&S is truly a world class facility and is so full of history it's :psypop:
I've taken friends who have zero interest in aviation and only the slightest interest in history and they loved NASM. It truly is a fantastic place.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uiv6UvYnf3s

E: Oh, and there's this too:

MrChips fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 20, 2015

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Hey that was at Boeing Field Clay Lacy last week.

Ex Phoenix Coyotes charter.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

I guess that's what you get when the RNZAF decommissioned it's A-4's and moved everyone over to transport?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

I think you mean

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Psion posted:

the skull and crossbones (or ... skull face and axes, I guess) on the engine pods just get me. Apparently their lead singer is a qualified 757 pilot so he flew that plane. That's pretty cool too.

Same to you, buddy.

Yeah, Bruce Dickenson also "worked" for Astraeus, the airline they leased the plane from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Dickinson#Aviation

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 21, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

New goal in life: be rich enough that you create a charter airline to fly for so you have something to do.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Plane spotters: Three Britons to be released from UAE jail

The last line in the article is:
"While plane spotting is legal in the UAE, it is not widely understood."

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Nebakenezzer posted:

The last line in the article is:
"While plane spotting is legal in the UAE, it is not widely understood."

Clearly not.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Did someone say airframe parachutes?!

My Local Hometown Rag posted:

What started out as someone dumping an item from a weekend spring clean-up nearly turned into a disaster as a 25-year-old public works employee was injured Monday when a self-deploying parachute for an ultralight aircraft exploded.

[...]
Investigators said the public works employee was in the process of sorting metals and material from the weekend’s annual spring clean-up. They said it was during this process that the victim found a cylindrical object.

Police said it was determined that the device was an active self-deploying parachute for an ultralight aircraft. When he grabbed the object, it ignited and deployed in his hand. Three other township employees were in the immediate vicinity of the explosion but were not injured.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

simplefish posted:

Reminds me of a 340-600

I know I said this the last time a stretched 757 was posted here but aaaa it keeps looking like it's bent to me.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Eej posted:

I know I said this the last time a stretched 757 was posted here but aaaa it keeps looking like it's bent to me.

Looks straight to me???

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Eej posted:

Looks kinda bent to me too

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

pik_d posted:

Looks straight to me???

Someone needs to fly through a cold rain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I'm guessing there's a pretty severe limit to how much you can flare that thing on landing without smacking the tail into the pavement.