Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

I AM BRAWW posted:

Hahah Yea, fockin' EA pricks. Buncha Cunts. Low bar games. Durrr early Access.

What the gently caress.

What I was saying was that the game is so good that it was hard to believe that it was "unfinished".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PrinnySquadron posted:

I'm reinstalling Torchlight 2 again: what are the best mods for it?

Reaver of Souls

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

King Vidiot posted:

What the gently caress.

What I was saying was that the game is so good that it was hard to believe that it was "unfinished".

You bashed most early access games in the same breath (with good reason), and this offends some early access posters.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

King Vidiot posted:

What the gently caress.

It's best if you just ignore Braww

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I'm not the hippest cat around but aren't most early access games globby piles of bull jism

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Fun Times! posted:

I'm not the hippest cat around but aren't most early access games globby piles of bull jism

Actually early access represents the future of indie games, where every now and then one game is good and a shitload are bad.

So basically it's just like the past of indie games.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fun Times! posted:

This description actually fits most games released on Steam at this point. I'm not confident that the quality of Early Access items are significantly worse on the average than full releases.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

FZeroRacer posted:

Torchlight 2 took everything that made Diablo-likes good and decided to make every aspect boring.

I don't know if mods fix that part or not but the core game is pretty bad.

Yeah, it's weird. I can't point to any specifically bad design decisions or any particular bad details of the game. It seems like its copying diablo 2 with almost every choice, which because I love diablo 2 should have made me love the game. And all the new elements they do add (like pets) are good too. And yet, I have to agree that the game is fundamentally boring at its core. I don't know why, but it is.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Ragequit posted:

You bashed most early access games in the same breath (with good reason), and this offends some early access posters.

This is very clever :golfclap:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

vmdvr posted:

Yeah, it's weird. I can't point to any specifically bad design decisions or any particular bad details of the game. It seems like its copying diablo 2 with almost every choice, which because I love diablo 2 should have made me love the game. And all the new elements they do add (like pets) are good too. And yet, I have to agree that the game is fundamentally boring at its core. I don't know why, but it is.
For me, the world it set up was just lifeless. Very colorful but with no real depth. There was just some massive story disconnect between how D2 started and I felt the need to help these poor, cornered mercs and merchants...and how Torchlight 2 started and just shoved me out into a world pointlessly hacking away at bland monsters.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Niggurath posted:

...and how Torchlight 2 started and just shoved me out into a world pointlessly hacking away at bland monsters.

That was also Diablo 2 though?

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
TL1 and TL2 both have a dark, grim narrative but the cartoony graphics are kinda counter intuitive to that.

That and they're sort of visually bland. I'm not quite sure how to describe it, but D3 at least has flashy graphics and effects that pop out at you.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

beerinator posted:

HA! Just bought it yesterday full price. Still seems worth it. (Door Kickers)

Just got this game today, it's a great time. Reminds me of my favorite crime-planning game, The Clue! but this time on the opposite side of the law(and you didn't really get murdered in The Clue!). Good time, definitely worth the $10.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If you're playing ARPGs singleplayer then they pretty much live or die by how quickly they can pump dopamine into your brain, and torchlight 2 just doesn't do that very well. Grim dawn for example feels so much more physical and engaging because you can rotate the camera around, loot physicses all over the place so it's satisfying to see pairs of pants explode out of loot points and enemies, the combat hit effects/particles/sounds etc are a lot more punchy, and so on. The environments are also so much more high-res and detailed that they're just far more interesting to run around in. Having a friend with you makes up for a lot of those problems but they really show in singleplayer.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

vmdvr posted:

Yeah, it's weird. I can't point to any specifically bad design decisions or any particular bad details of the game.
It's been a while, but I would say specifically: Bad user feedback, bad visual feedback on incoming damage, bad stat system, bad loot system that dumps too much on you at once, bad skill trees, bad crit system.

The original Diablo 2 had a very carefully plotted progression of visual elements and stat pool on your gear. Also you could always tell what kind of damage you were taking, and you could always tell how much you needed to correct for it. If you go wow, that lightning attack hits hard, you could look at the 19% lightning resist and figure out how to fix that. TL2 I would have moments like, ok so I just got hit by a ... Shadowy glob thrown by a satyr which is ... Lightning damage? And I need to ... Something about numbers?

TL2 was overcomplicated needlessly without any improvement to the game system whatsoever. It's a nice feeling, good looking game but it just didn't improve on Diablo 2 meaningfully OR make it different.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I played TL2 co-op as an Engineer with a giant cannon and I murdered everything. my co-op partner took an Embermage and made giant pillars of flame kill everything I wasn't blasting with a cannon. It was fine. Tried a melee class and hated it. Therefore, I feel confident in saying cannon engineer is the best. You have robot buddies, you carry around an actual artillery piece, and that's that.

also more games need pets like TL2 pets. Alpaca for life :colbert:

e: we did use some mods to polish off some rough edges though, definitely peruse the Workshop for a few of those.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also the drop rates on actually interesting items felt pretty blah. And when good stuff did drop, it had a bad tendency to drop one piece from each of sixteen different sets. I mean we're not talking Borderlands 2 bad, but one of the reasons your pet is amazing is because you can have it dump off all of your garbage for you, because you inevitably get a lot of garbage drops. (And then you're penalized by losing your pet in combat while it's gone, which feels like a weird trade-off too.)

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Psion posted:

GOTR comes with Powertools, I think, and that's what changes playability. Did you use those too? It does some benchmarking and makes changes based on that. Afterwards, things work just fine, at least in my experience.

Okay, so, I got GOTR and I don't see Powertools anywhere.
It's a batch file and you choose what you want it to install, I don't see anything about benchmarking or anything?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

okay, I stand corrected. http://idolninja.com/sr2.php

It is a separate download a couple list items down from the GOTR download link. Either way, check it out and see if it'll help you out. It worked great for me.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Spiderdrake posted:

TL2 was overcomplicated needlessly without any improvement to the game system whatsoever. It's a nice feeling, good looking game but it just didn't improve on Diablo 2 meaningfully OR make it different.
In Torchlight 2 you can get a mod for a dungeon filled with bosses, like floors full of rooms full of bosses. Destroy it all and get like 10 levels per room, 10 minutes to sort all the loot and move on to the next room.

Be warned it's almost not possible to go back to playing the game normally after playing like that but if you find yourself bored find a mod that sounds fun and run with it. Base game doesn't get more fun and it's kindy dull and grindy to begin with so cut your losses or make it more fun in some way because there are plenty of games out there to play.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Psion posted:

okay, I stand corrected. http://idolninja.com/sr2.php

It is a separate download a couple list items down from the GOTR download link. Either way, check it out and see if it'll help you out. It worked great for me.

Alright, downloaded and installed it... I don't think there was anything more for me to do with it? The ini file only has one thing and it's for speed hacking.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

I've had Desktop Dungeons in my wishlist for quite a while, is it good?
Also, what's the difference between Vanilla and "Special edition"? Is it just the soundtrack?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Desktop Dungeons is great and just updated with more classes and a daily dungeon. It's more of a puzzle game than a roguelike though, except because of the roguelike parts it can occasionally be unwinnable; several later dungeons require a good bit of luck.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Deakul posted:

Alright, downloaded and installed it... I don't think there was anything more for me to do with it? The ini file only has one thing and it's for speed hacking.

yeah the speed hack turns SR2 from unplayable unless you get really lucky to playable on basically anything, in my experience. It should be good to go.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Pentaro posted:

Also, what's the difference between Vanilla and "Special edition"? Is it just the soundtrack?

I think it also gives you the Goatman DLC and its extra challenges. Unless you 100% know you're going to really want to get into high level play, you can come back for that later.

(I loved the Goatman & the triple-dungeons, but man. That is not for everyone.)

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Deakul posted:

Once you use the batch file or whatever to select your mods, you put the new files into the SR2 directory (replacing the old ones) and then you can play the game.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Alien Isolation is such a well made game. Other first person games horror/adventure/action need to take some hints from this poo poo. Its just so well done as far as like immersion.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
-66% Pixel Puzzles 2: Anime
-66% Millennium 2
-66% Rockets
-75% Planetship
-90% Heli heroes
-50% Apotheon

Someone take these coupons.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/emperor20/

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Scalding Coffee posted:

-66% Millennium 2
-66% Rockets
-75% Planetship
-90% Heli heroes
-50% Apotheon

No

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Scalding Coffee posted:

-66% Millennium 2
-66% Rockets
-75% Planetship
-90% Heli heroes
-50% Apotheon

http://steamcommunity.com/id/trashbot

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

I don't know if the bot even wants those

Orv
May 4, 2011
Apotheon is really quite good, the others :smith:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I thought Valve fixed the random Russians and beggars invite problem. I've gotten three invites from [uninitialized] people since then, the only thing that's changed is they don't have a name to look at before I hit block.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yeah, I'm getting the usual invites too and thos bots still have names so it's like nothing changed.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I get them almost every day.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Some documentary about indie game developers is coming out on Steam today: GameLoading: Rise of the Indies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw7pt6hC23w

The trailer makes it look a bit too "indie games are making a difference in the world irl" self back-patting but might be an interesting watch anyways.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

That looks really lame

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
The only video game movie I need in my life is Super Mario Bros., got no room for any others and especially not bad documentaries about the contents of some bundle I bought.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

hemale in pain posted:

That looks like an indie game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Hotline Miami ripoff Bloodbath Kavkaz came out yesterday and somehow already has 42 reviews, which are mostly positive :wtf:

• Locked thread