Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

darth cookie posted:

I poo poo post here a fair bit, but I'm reasonably certain I haven't posted that before. Not that I'm going to check.

Edit: either that or the deja vu you are experiencing is as a result of the machines making a change to the Matrix. :psylon:

It could just be due to the amount of drugs I take to find a higher sense of self to escape the wallowing self pity I have, but let's go with the machines since it sounds better when said out loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

EponymousMrYar posted:

I'm curious if it's possible to cargo scan ships while in cloak and if it could be done fast enough while warping to 0. Was liquidating my secondary main's assets to hop into goons and got blapped on the Perimeter gate in Jita by a tornado that nigh-instalocked me. But they didn't steal any of my crazy valuable double-wrapped stuff. Just a bomber and what fittings dropped from my transport.

I have a feeling I came out ahead on that exchange.

... Looking at that character's Zkillboard it seems I was mistaken for a higher valued target. That explains that.

you aren't being scanned on that gate, it is 1-2 jumps earlier when you align out. have you ever wondered why there is an afk noob ship 20k away from a random gate????

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
That's the weird thing. There were no yellow boxes. None at all. That was the first time I had been targeted on that run.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game

EponymousMrYar posted:

That's the weird thing. There were no yellow boxes. None at all.

It's called passive targeting

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

EponymousMrYar posted:

That's the weird thing. There were no yellow boxes. None at all. That was the first time I had been targeted on that run.

RattiRatto posted:

They get 10 seconds to scan and unlock before you get the yellow box if they use a passive targeter if that wasn't clear

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Ahhh! I see. Now I know what to watch out for even more.

That still doesn't explain why they traded ~60 mil of ship for ~20 mil of loot off of me though :psyduck:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

Ahhh! I see. Now I know what to watch out for even more.

That still doesn't explain why they traded ~60 mil of ship for ~20 mil of loot off of me though :psyduck:

Because double wrap = "shoot me" and because they could. Dunno why they didn't take the wraps unless they didn't have space to loot it for whatever reason

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

because killing stuff is fun. Not everything is done after a cost/benefit analysis.

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014

darth cookie posted:

because killing stuff is fun. Not everything is done after a cost/benefit analysis.

Yeah, all EVE players should have that type of mindset. Fun/HR not ISK/HR

SpiderX
Sep 5, 2013

Let's start a gimmick that isn't shit, how about dogges? :woof:

~Not SMcD

ullerrm posted:

Disregard work, go :ullerrm: on Reddit about how Grayscale can be blamed for rental empires.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/339h46/why_does_nobody_move_into_all_that_empty_nullsec/cqj2yiy?context=3

Awesome post, thought I recognised the username. It's been nearly 7 years since I was in sovnull and I haven't got a clue how it works any more. Last time I was there it was in BRUCE and we got stomped by PL.

I'm taking it easy in EVE Uni now, can't remember how to do anything at all. Saying that we got a good fight from goons the other day.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Posting for morsanima:

Looks like HK had a good night in Deklein. Two ratting carriers, one with a loving legion in the SMA. Also some weird MAS sentry abortion.

https://zkillboard.com/kill/46126204/
https://zkillboard.com/kill/46126347/

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Kiryen posted:

This is really what "stay classy" is all about.

It's maybe like the people who came up with "Stay Classy" also thought that fedoras were classy.

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.

Wolfy posted:

Posting for morsanima:

Looks like HK had a good night in Deklein. Two ratting carriers, one with a loving legion in the SMA. Also some weird MAS sentry abortion.

I saw the ping for those while frantically re-writing chunks of my dissertation. My activity this month has been totally poo poo. :negative:

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

gwrtheyrn posted:

They get 10 seconds to scan and unlock before you get the yellow box if they use a passive targeter if that wasn't clear

That's how they work? I thought so long as you lock using the passive targeter they would never get a yellow box.

ApocalypseMeow
Mar 4, 2008

I love the smell of Catnip in the morning....Smells like Victory.
BNI updated the downvote animations on their subreddit

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.

Wolfy posted:

Posting for morsanima:

MAS still recruit renters. :shepface:
Not his best day according to his killboard.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Wolfy posted:

Posting for morsanima:

Cthulhu Templar, one hour later.

https://zkillboard.com/kill/46126964/

Stepping up his game since joining GSF, it used to be only one carrier a month.

January: https://zkillboard.com/kill/44256221/
February: https://zkillboard.com/kill/44474223/
March: https://zkillboard.com/kill/46126347/

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

EponymousMrYar posted:

RattiRatto posted:

gwrtheyrn posted:

Sub Rosa posted:

That's how they work? I thought so long as you lock using the passive targeter they would never get a yellow box.

No, that's not how they work. For my own sanity, I just tested it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

DisgracelandUSA posted:

No, that's not how they work. For my own sanity, I just tested it.

You probably ctrl-clicked on the target. With passive targeters, you have to click with no modifier keys pressed to get it to work.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
So did Pl get hacked or was it all bull poo poo?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Glory of Arioch posted:

You probably ctrl-clicked on the target. With passive targeters, you have to click with no modifier keys pressed to get it to work.
It's like FoF missiles, they're so useless that nobody knows the exact mechanics how they work.

gwrtheyrn posted:

Because double wrap = "shoot me" and because they could. Dunno why they didn't take the wraps unless they didn't have space to loot it for whatever reason
Could be a 3rd guy swooped in to grab the loot before the ganker's alt could get it, and didn't take the wrap because they didn't know what it was or didn't have the space.

In other news I found the GClub alliance update pasted up on TMC to be kinda intriguing. Their plan for fozziesov is to move from renters to full co-habitation with dues paying carebear corps. That feels like it could be a successful model. Giant multi-region renter empires are kaput after fozziesov, but a revival of smaller scale feudalism could be interesting.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

So did Pl get hacked or was it all bull poo poo?

No logs yet, so I'm guessing if they did it was by someone who doesn't have the common sense to share.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Wolfy posted:

Posting for morsanima:

At least the Widot dude had a cyno and a tank refit :unsmith:

I'm impressed you could kill that with 12 dudes including tackle. How mean was that anom?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

I think they meant there is no ten second limit

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Voyager I posted:

At least the Widot dude had a cyno and a tank refit :unsmith:

I'm impressed you could kill that with 12 dudes including tackle. How mean was that anom?
Not really that surprising. Most of the incoming damage was thermal and at all Vs that fit tanks 1400 Thermal DPS. Add on whatever the Guristas are throwing at him. If he refit double thermal hardeners instead of double explosive they might not have been able to break him. Also, he wasn't on mumble where people were willing to jump in triage to save him. Every once in awhile a smart guy dies in a ratting carrier, but most of them are mercy killings.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

I should've been more explicit, as you misunderstood me, but for the benefit of everyone in the thread....

Passive targeters allow you to target a PC (or NPC!) without them realizing it. In order to use a passive targeter, you must have nothing targeted. To use the passive targeter, you prefire it and click on the ship of your choice, which enforces the requirement that you have nothing targeted (i.e., you cannot prefire when you have something targeted). You begin locking and the module cycles at (roughly) the same time. The lock time is determined by your scan resolution. The target will not know they are being targeted; the lock will prevent ships from performing actions that are prevented by being locked (cloaking, anything else?). You may prefire other modules with the passive targeter, it makes no difference. Some modules may alert the target to the fact that they are having modules activated on them (i.e., a cargo scan sends out a beam to the target, scram displays an icon and some text on screen).

While the passive targeter is cycling, you may not target another ship. Once it is finished cycling, you may unlock your target, and you may passively target another ship. For this reason, there is no reason to use T2 passive targeter, as they have a 10s cycle time, while all of the meta-modules have shorter cycle times. I am not familiar with any other differences between meta and T2 passive targeters. There is a rare bug in which if you unlock a target and prefire the passive targeter in the same tick, before the target is unlocked, the passive targeter will relock your old target, passively. Passive targeters do not provide a window of anonymity. They will keep the target passively locked for as long as you are within locking range.

Edit: Also, yeah, I gets down with the homies :wtc:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I'm going to guess the 10 second time limit was before the target warps off, since this whole thing was in context of gate scanning gank targets.

Also, that module should really disable the scanning effect from scanners. It's sort of pointless to hide the yellow box but have a giant pulsing blue line pointing towards your ship.

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

ApocalypseMeow posted:

BNI updated the downvote animations on their subreddit

I for one appreciate the attention

Sixx Spades
Aug 16, 2013

You can't safe log with a lock on you, so that's another plus.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

CainFortea posted:

I'm going to guess the 10 second time limit was before the target warps off, since this whole thing was in context of gate scanning gank targets.

Also, that module should really disable the scanning effect from scanners. It's sort of pointless to hide the yellow box but have a giant pulsing blue line pointing towards your ship.

This is a good point and one of the reasons I stopped using sensor boosters on a lot of scanners. Instead, I fit a warp disruptor :getin:

Sixx Spades posted:

You can't safe log with a lock on you, so that's another plus.

You can feel the panic through the internet when the freighter hits "Log Off Safely" and it doesn't work.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DisgracelandUSA posted:

For this reason, there is no reason to use T2 passive targeter, as they have a 10s cycle time, while all of the meta-modules have shorter cycle times.

CainFortea posted:

The cycle time on passive targeters is the max time spent locking, and if you take longer to lock than the cycle they don't work and the target sees a yellowbox as normal. So the T2 is moderately pointless unless your passive scan ship is something with really bad sensor resolution. Could be the case if someone was using their loot-scooping industrial to scan as well.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Did you guys know that Brave is better than KarmaFleet and Padded Helmets? Er I'm sorry, Pandemic Horde? It is according to Seraph anyways: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bravenewbies/comments/33cim2/why_brave_karma_and_horde/

Apparently, the fact that they 'stay classy' makes them better in some way. That and the fact that their leadership are more 'ethical'.

Someone, please tell me which drugs he is on. I want some. I never had hallucinations before, and whatever he's taking would most likely do the trick.

elanciano
Apr 2, 2013

I'm sure it's only a glitch. A temporary setback.

Dalael posted:

Did you guys know that Brave is better than KarmaFleet and Padded Helmets? Er I'm sorry, Pandemic Horde? It is according to Seraph anyways: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bravenewbies/comments/33cim2/why_brave_karma_and_horde/

Apparently, the fact that they 'stay classy' makes them better in some way. That and the fact that their leadership are more 'ethical'.

Someone, please tell me which drugs he is on. I want some. I never had hallucinations before, and whatever he's taking would most likely do the trick.

...and that children, is when everyone went from pitying brave to hating them

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Genuine, authentic, ethical and classy. Those words wouldnt appear anywhere in a Brave Newbies word cloud from the last year.

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

Dalael posted:

It's a shame he didn't accept that contract against holesquad. We would finally see who is the premier WH mercenary group then.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Dalael posted:

Lol of course it's Seraph Basarab. Dude is the definition of QQ butthurt. Anyone with half a brain has already fled Brave for Karmafleet or PH because it's pretty obvious that the toxic classy culture that TEST brought over has infected BRAVE and will continue to rot and fester until they disband permanently. How many countless enemies have decried us, our culture, etc, only to die screaming under our boots? BNI was done for the minute they let TEST infect their culture. "Staying classy" is only the latest in a long line of bullshit memes they are using to try to perpetuate the myth that they are somehow better than their opponents, when in fact they are barely pawns anymore on the galactic stage.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I like to poo poo on TEST as much as the next guy, but blaming them for Braves stupidity is probably unfair.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Klyith posted:

The cycle time on passive targeters is the max time spent locking, and if you take longer to lock than the cycle they don't work and the target sees a yellowbox as normal. So the T2 is moderately pointless unless your passive scan ship is something with really bad sensor resolution. Could be the case if someone was using their loot-scooping industrial to scan as well.

Not that I didn't believe you from the outset, or that I don't trust the goonpinions presented in this thread, but this is also erroneous. I tested by undocking 1 character in a heron, another character in a machariel. The machariel pilot used a passive targeter to lock the heron with a lock time of about ~27s. The lock completed without any indication on the heron character that it was being locked.

Needless to say, I'm quite relieved that they don't work the way you described, as that might preclude bumping ships from fitting cloaks. Also, the T2 targeters is super pointless. I looked at the comparison chart:

Meta0-Meta 4 targeters each consume 5GJ cap. They each require 20-MetaLevel (20 for M0, 19 for M1 ...) CPU. The cycle time on the Meta-0 through Meta-4 is 5.00s.

The T2 targeter is 25 CPU, 7 GJ of cap and 10s cycle time.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

CainFortea posted:

People are too dumb to notice, recognize, or do anything about the beam or sound (is there a sound? People say there is a ping, but idk) associated with the ship scanner, unless they are also smart and on the ball enough to actually do something to prevent ganking in the first place. The only reaction, either via chat or altered behavior, has come from people with solid tank at least and usually cargo below normal ganking thresholds. I even forget to passive target sometimes and people dont usually get a clue.

One time I was ganking in Juuni, competing with some other shitstain. I saw a 800m iteron coming through, jumped my ganker and loot scooper through to intercept him on the other side of the gate, and got him to structure before concord popped me. What did the guy do? poo poo talked about how terrible gankers are at eve while on his way to the juuni gate, and jumped right through, to be lolowned by the other ganker. Didnt dock up to repair, or offload cargo into smaller chunks, or fit a tank. Just went right on through.

Pubbies in general are so stupid, especially so for the ones who haul poo poo for <1M/jump. The passive targeter is best practice, but it's not like you have to be remotely good to kill these people. The best evidence for that is I do it easily, and I'm laughably bad at this game.

Edit: i use a t2 targeter on my scanner because I'm a retard who assumed t2 = better. Maybe I should faction fit my scanner.

Kazak_Hstan fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Edit: i use a t2 targeter on my scanner because I'm a retard who assumed t2 = better. Maybe I should faction fit my scanner.

I always assumed that they got the yellow box after the module cycled because why else would the t2 have double the cycle time :ccp:

• Locked thread