Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

gently caress poo poo SNYPE COME ON

FirstAidKite posted:

Her character is "socially awkward cringeworthy girl who is overly obsessed with anime"

Doesn't she also hit on her brother at one point specifically because it happens in weird pervert animes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

DStecks posted:

Doesn't she also hit on her brother at one point specifically because it happens in weird pervert animes?

She does a lot of things that she thinks are fine because they happen in animes and they only make her look more socially hosed up and awkward and bad

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

FirstAidKite posted:

She does a lot of things that she thinks are fine because they happen in animes and they only make her look more socially hosed up and awkward and bad

It is a great show.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay O posted:

It is a great show.

It's

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DStecks posted:

gently caress poo poo SNYPE COME ON

Yea she does a lot of 'I saw this on anime so this is what things are like right' poo poo including hilariously hitting on her brother and, since the show is meant to be realistic, instantly called a fuckin weirdo by her brother who's 100% sick of her poo poo.

WATAMOTE is a good rear end anime. It's basically the writer describing an only slightly amplified version of herself working through actual social anxiety issues and poo poo and it manages to do that in a way that blends cringy 'oh god noooo stop that you idiot' things and legitimate moments of 'oh yea I remember being an awkward kid that sucked...'. Like, I'll always see The Office as how to not do cringe humor because at a point they just started doing things just to be cringy, like things no human would ever do unless they were an actor in a cringe comedy show, you know? WATAMOTE avoids that well. Even in her more extreme moments everything feels like a cause and effect thing. She does something terribly not cool and weird like go over to her brother's room and ask if he thinks she's sexy, but that happened because her only real view of social interactions is anime and woops anime is hosed up and she's insecure about her body so she wants validation. It makes you cringe but it has 'heart' to it that makes it a good bit better than other ways of doing it.

I mean the title is literally a mashup of the phrase 'no matter how I look at it, it's your fault I'm not popular'. That alone sets the tone of 'oh, right, you have issues huh'.

Basically what I'm saying is Wickedhate isn't her because in WATAMOTE you're supposed to feel sympathy for the lead.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

What I meant is that the show itself takes potshots at sibling incest in anime, which WickedHate was defending, making the image especially appropriate.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Hey, Lupa, is Phelous going to do a video showcasing his thoughts on Mortal Kombat X?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Infamous Sphere posted:

Haha, well if they do, they certainly didn't tell me about it :)

I also have the distinction of being from Australia's least favourite city, which is a bit of a handicap. Interestingly (?) enough, I applied for a job at the ACMI for their hollywood costume exhibition, but I think a lot of people applied for the same job and they probably wanted to give it to someone who wasn't going to have to uproot themselves and travel 8 hours south.

The problem is that there are two cities that can lay claim to that title. So you from Canberra or Darwin?

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
I'm going to guess Adelaide. There are more jokes about that city then Canberra, Darwin and Hobart combined.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
The wonderful thing about a country with as few major cities as Australia is that you can come up with a reason to hate every single city except your own. I mean, as an American, I can hate Boston and Chicago and Houston and all the obvious choices, but I’ll be damned if I can find an excuse to hate Kansas City.

(Also: I’ve been told that Canberra is the best city in Australia for tabletop and live-action RPGs. The theory is that there’s nothing else to do in Canberra but play tabletop and live-action RPGs.)

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Testekill posted:

The problem is that there are two cities that can lay claim to that title. So you from Canberra or Darwin?

Since I created knitwear specifically for my show so that I don't freeze when I have to turn off the heating in winter to record, I think you can probably guess that I'm not from Darwin. (8 hours south is also a bit of a clue.)

echopapa posted:

The wonderful thing about a country with as few major cities as Australia is that you can come up with a reason to hate every single city except your own. I mean, as an American, I can hate Boston and Chicago and Houston and all the obvious choices, but I’ll be damned if I can find an excuse to hate Kansas City.

I don't think anyone really bothers claiming that they hate Sydney, it's just so much of a dominant cultural force that even if you hate something about it, you can't write off the whole place. People hate Canberra because it's a lazy shorthand for "whatever lovely thing the government's doing now." Amusingly(?) enough, unemployment has just skyrocketed in Canberra because the government hates Canberra too, and sacked a huge chunk of the public service, aka the number one employment provider in Canberra.

I've actually only visited 3 of Australia's state capitals, including my own. Well, four if you count a stopover at Brisbane airport.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Every city in Australia has upsides to it. Except Perth because there is literally nothing to do there. In fact just take that statement and apply it to the whole of WA really.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Haven't been to Perth because it's 5 hours flight away and I've had no reason to go. Also it's THE MOST ISOLATED CAPITAL CITY IN THE WORLD.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Edit: awful app indeed.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 21, 2015

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Jay O posted:

It is a great show.

Yeah my wife and I caught a few episodes last night and we both enjoyed it. Which is cool because I usually have trouble finding anime that she would like.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Beefstew posted:

Hey, Lupa, is Phelous going to do a video showcasing his thoughts on Mortal Kombat X?

Phelous hasn't put out much recently, come to think of it. He's probably doing effects and/or editing work.

His thoughts on MKX would be interesting as man that game is true to its legacy for better or worse.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

echopapa posted:

(Also: I’ve been told that Canberra is the best city in Australia for tabletop and live-action RPGs. The theory is that there’s nothing else to do in Canberra but play tabletop and live-action RPGs.)

Kansas City has the vile degeneracy to occupy two states at once. Such things just should not be done.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Not to bitch about Radiodrome (like I always do) but is there any rhyme or reason to how they censor that show? I hear oval office and gently caress get bleeped out but on the latest episode, 244, Josh called someone a "little ginger human being" and it got through no problem. :stare:

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Beefstew posted:

No idea.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Tracula posted:

Not to bitch about Radiodrome (like I always do) but is there any rhyme or reason to how they censor that show? I hear oval office and gently caress get bleeped out but on the latest episode, 244, Josh called someone a "little ginger human being" and it got through no problem. :stare:

Why on earth are you still listening to Radiodrome. Brad isn't even on there anymore.

e: I am genuinely curious. I never listened to Radiodrome because Josh sounds like a repugnant human being and I'm curious if the rest of the show is actually good enough to make up for his presence.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 21, 2015

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

dijon du jour posted:

Why on earth are you still listening to Radiodrome. Brad isn't even on there anymore.

e: I am genuinely curious. I never listened to Radiodrome because Josh sounds like a repugnant human being and I'm curious if the rest of the show is actually good enough to make up for his presence.

I said it a while back in the previous thread but there are interesting topics they cover and I have learned some really neat stuff about the making of movies, old/dead formats, series retrospectives, etc. Yeah, Josh can be pretty insufferable but I don't mind his co-hosts and guests.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Anyone ever do something about The Departed vs Infernal Affairs? It feels kind of obvious, you'd expect at least Ed Glaser to have done a Deja View on it, but apparently not.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

MonsieurChoc posted:

Anyone ever do something about The Departed vs Infernal Affairs? It feels kind of obvious, you'd expect at least Ed Glaser to have done a Deja View on it, but apparently not.
"Every Frame a Painting" did a brief comparison on how Scorcese decided to fillm the cell phone scene between the two moles in silence as opposed to how the original had the score playing to show how both directors differed on how to raise the tension in that key scene.

EDIT: Here's the video in question.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 22, 2015

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Deja View is about unauthorized foreign remakes/ripoffs/cash-ins of popular Western films. It is not about legit American remakes of foreign films.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
somebody needs to have an intervention with Sage. You just can't grow an acceptable beard, accept that and shave.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

poparena posted:

Deja View is about unauthorized foreign remakes/ripoffs/cash-ins of popular Western films. It is not about legit American remakes of foreign films.

You're right, although there was that Deja View homage by Benzaie about La Totale/True Lies...

http://blip.tv/benzaie2/deja-view-5461142

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
C2E2 is this weekend. Doug Walker is making a rare appearance at an actual local con. Because I'm a huge dork, I'll be dressing up as the Nostalgia Critic. And getting him to sign my VHS copy of Titanic The Animated Musical. Both because it's my favorite video of his, and that he'll probably get a kick out of me even having such a thing and asking for him to sign it. Should be fun.

Also, the stupid hat was a surprising pain in the rear end to find. Ball caps everywhere in second hand and new stores, but not a cadet hat to be found. Thank you, Amazon gods.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

It's like that scene in last action hero when Arnold meets the other Arnold.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Be sure to ask him about Last Action Hero.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Maybe Doug will ask you to fill in for him like the Dread Pirate Roberts. How socially retarded are you?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

No, ask him if they can charge the payment for his autograph to your bat credit card.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is that a thing?

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

BobbyK posted:

Maybe Doug will ask you to fill in for him like the Dread Pirate Roberts. How socially retarded are you?

I'm not sure why you're being a dick because I'm going to dress up and have fun at a geeky convention and meet an entertainer I like. Lighten up, guy.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

Leal posted:

No, ask him if they can charge the payment for his autograph to your bat credit card.

Haha. Nah. I don't want be one of *those* fans who meets him and just makes references to his schtick. That just strikes me as really obnoxious,

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

cubs2084 posted:

I'm not sure why you're being a dick because I'm going to dress up and have fun at a geeky convention and meet an entertainer I like. Lighten up, guy.

It was actually a joke because Doug himself is socially retarded you see.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

BobbyK posted:

It was actually a joke because Doug himself is socially retarded you see.

That was completely lost on me and I didn't get it. Apparently I AM socially retarded. Sweet!

In any case, my friends and fiance have been telling me for years that I look like him. It'll be nice to finally see once and for all.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Yeah you're a dead ringer, I legitimately think he might ask you to replace him.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

BobbyK posted:

Yeah you're a dead ringer, I legitimately think he might ask you to replace him.

shut up nerd.

Pirate Jenny
Mar 28, 2006

Sie wissen nicht, mit wem Sie reden.

BobbyK posted:

Yeah I read this as a "How socially retarded are you?" in the tone that potential employers ask during a job interview.

"So, you have an anime av on Twitter, I see..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

e X posted:

Is that a thing?

Sort of. Doug is basically autistic and doesn't understand Last Action Hero. It's not that he doesn't like it but he genuinely doesn't -get- it like he doesn't get a pig flying or someone caring about a dog.

• Locked thread