Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Pandasmores posted:

This is going to sounds like a retarded question, but don't you guys have plugs on the ships? Unless you're buying lovely batteries/draining them too much I don't see how you'd need a couple spares.

Answer may vary. My berthing probably had about four working plugs and boat LSs (they actually owned the space) stealing properly tagged power strips but not bothering to actually fix all the broken poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Pandasmores posted:

This is going to sounds like a retarded question, but don't you guys have plugs on the ships? Unless you're buying lovely batteries/draining them too much I don't see how you'd need a couple spares.

This was like four years ago so I'm assuming the quality of what we were buying was sketchy. I can't remember now that I think about it if it was the batteries or atomizers that kept making GBS threads the bed.

But yea we had a million outlets in the shop.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

UoI posted:

I was going to PM you but you were smarter than me with your money. Tell me about life on a carrier, seeing as that's where I'm (probably) going to be ending up.

Probably be better if you just throw some specific questions out. There are others in here who have deployed aboard a carrier and a lot of stuff is the same no matter what you deploy on. I can probably answer a lot of questions but I'm not going to be able to tell you how to survive living in a 100 man berthing for instance.

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I was gonna say she was preggo, but I think I'm mixing her up with Carrie Underwood.

You are right about both. I think Clarkson already had her baby though.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Pandasmores posted:

Power plug space on a submarine was very valuable, a bitch might get stabbed for unplugging something early or out of turn.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
Look at yall shipfolk with your personal electronic devices and ya power plugs. Suddenly life in a SCIF ain't so easy sounding IS IT :derp:

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Analogical posted:

Look at yall shipfolk with your personal electronic devices and ya power plugs. Suddenly life in a SCIF ain't so easy sounding IS IT :derp:

Some of us are in the real Navy!:dukedog:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Howard Phillips posted:

:gooncamp:

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Howard Phillips posted:

#WOGPride

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

vulturesrow posted:

Probably be better if you just throw some specific questions out. There are others in here who have deployed aboard a carrier and a lot of stuff is the same no matter what you deploy on. I can probably answer a lot of questions but I'm not going to be able to tell you how to survive living in a 100 man berthing for instance.

I don't really have any right now, I was just hoping you'd tell me it won't be awful. :shobon:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

UoI posted:

I don't really have any right now, I was just hoping you'd tell me it won't be awful. :shobon:
Some of it will be. However carriers have a lot of amenities. When I made reference to living in a 100 man berthing, that is most likely where you'll be living. As a noble thats not something I had to deal with other than through my sailors. But there are guys that post here that can tell you how to make that part less awful.

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
Just get orders to an MCM where 40 man is our biggest berthing, with other 6-15 man berthings literally fit in where they have room.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
get orders to a MCM where every time a wave looks at you funny you do a wicked sick back flip in your rack

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
MCM: It's like the Tin Can Navy but wood and it's 2015.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Boon posted:

Who had all the weenie touching stories about MCM? That poo poo had me rolling.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Boon posted:

Don't they have to pull in every month or so while deployed? Sounds like a dream come true.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Don't they have to pull in every month or so while deployed? Sounds like a dream come true.

Hey who wants to stop in (lovely Persian Gulf Port here) 20 times!!!

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

vulturesrow posted:

survive living in a 100 man berthing for instance.
:a2m::greencube:

As someone who used to live in a 100+ enlisted berthing as a fresh assed E1.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Hey who wants to stop in (lovely Persian Gulf Port here) 20 times!!!

GUARDIAN resulted in 7th fleet MCMs only going to Korea and back. But that's probably better because 7th fleet MCMs' primary mission is revolving door inspections, so underway time is a bit of a distraction.

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
Underways on MCMs are stretched. 2 weeks feels like 2 months, and 45 days is pretty much everything is breaking and supply is serving chef boyardee. On the bright side I've never seen so much varied experience as an ET anywhere else.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Reacon posted:

Underways on MCMs are stretched. 2 weeks feels like 2 months, and 45 days is pretty much everything is breaking and supply is serving chef boyardee. On the bright side I've never seen so much varied experience as an ET anywhere else.

Skimmer privilege is a real thing. You're triggering me.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

Who had all the weenie touching stories about MCM? That poo poo had me rolling.

That was our resident former JAG I believe.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
2 months also feels like 2 months so i heard

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

vulturesrow posted:

That was our resident former JAG I believe.

She doesn't have a weenie, though. Bet she's touched some.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

poopkitty posted:

She doesn't have a weenie, though. Bet she's touched some.

No shes the one who posted about it.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

vulturesrow posted:

No shes the one who posted about it.

Yeah, Rhesus us probably the single most helpful poster in GiP.

Think about that, we're so dysfunctional that a Navy JAG is our star player.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Booblord Zagats posted:

Yeah, Rhesus us probably the single most helpful poster in GiP.

Think about that, we're so dysfunctional that a Navy JAG is our star player.

To be fair, JAG is barely military so that's probably why.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Stultus Maximus posted:

To be fair, JAG is barely military so that's probably why.

honestly my only experience with JAG was laughing at dudes in the DFAC who were getting thrown out with 2 JAG admin assistants. So all in all aside from the Lance Mafia horror stories, they seem alright

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
JAG helped me unfuck my bonus situation when I was a babby sailor so that was nice.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Reacon posted:

Just get orders to an MCM where 40 man is our biggest berthing, with other 6-15 man berthings literally fit in where they have room.

The USNS Grasp had some embarked (non-ship's company) dudes sleeping in the P-Ways at one point. It was funny because the command really wanted to send females on that one until higher found out.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Fart Sandwiches posted:

JAG helped me unfuck my bonus situation when I was a babby sailor so that was nice.

One of my reservist friends had an issue they helped unfuck, they were trying to get him to pay back 20k in his bonus because big navy hosed up his orders and he didn't go to field med as the contract was written, for some reason the detailer had left it out. The extra win in the situation was this whiney brat everyone hated that didn't have field med in his orders that ended up getting it, he could have qualified for the bonus but since it wasn't in his contract they weren't obligated to give it to him even though he's reserves as well.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Finally got around to watching the first EP of TNT's The Last Ship.

A less accurate portrayal of SWO life than Battleship.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Applewhite posted:

As a previous Pearl Harbor sailor, my favorite part of Battleship is the old crusty captain ordering "All Ahead Flank" as the break the mooring chains.The thought of the Missouri blasting out of the harbor channel at 30+ never fails to put a smile on my face.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Boon posted:

As a previous Pearl Harbor sailor, my favorite part of Battleship is the old crusty captain ordering "All Ahead Flank" as the break the mooring chains.The thought of the Missouri blasting out of the harbor channel at 30+ never fails to put a smile on my face.

When the Missouri was in dry dock a few years ago for some restoration work, its guns were pointed directly at the building I worked in. I dreamed they weren't inert every night.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Boon posted:

I'm not familiar with the channel at Pearl, wouldn't that cause the battleship to scrape bottom from squat like crazy?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Surprisingly, the draft of the BB isn't significantly different than the CG or DDG, however, yes. Also there are multiple turns including a fairly large one right out of the basin itself which a ship at flank would be hard pressed to maintain due to shallow-water drag.

Boon fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 23, 2015

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
One of the best parts of The Last Ship was when the crew assembled on the flight deck for all hands call, and the Co steps out of OOD station #3 to address them.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Boon posted:

Surprisingly, the draft of the BB isn't significantly different than the CG or DDG, however, yes. Also there are multiple turns including a fairly large one right out of the basin itself which a ship at flank would be hard pressed to maintain due to shallow-water drag.

The channel is short enough I don't think they'd ever get to actual flank speed in it, but yeah they would certainly squat and probably bottom out a few times at best.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Applewhite posted:

Yeah, but Adam Baldwin.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
Lol.

http://www.navytimes.com/story/mili...mmand/26205131/

"I'm a Druid and I'm gonna join the Navy which is sooooo in tune with nat-ure"

I always thought all religion was kinda lame but had to roll my eyes at the Wiccan Satanist whatever douches in boot camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
They're not really any less bullshit than the other religions, they're just less popular.

• Locked thread