Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

psydude posted:

All about dat LT2P/IPSEC.

Since we have no network engineering thread (but like 5 windows threads for some reason):
What's y'all's opinion of Arista switches? They're cheap as gently caress compared to Cisco when it comes to 10/40g at the core/distro layer, and their SFPs are literally 5 times cheaper than Cisco's.

On that note, has anyone figured out which brand of non-Cisco SFP works with Cisco's poo poo?

switch(config)# service unsupported-transceiver
switch(config)# no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

psydude posted:

On that note, has anyone figured out which brand of non-Cisco SFP works with Cisco's poo poo?

I don't remember if they're refurbished or third-party, but Cxtec's SFPs work just fine.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

psydude posted:

Flexoptix, or anyone who has a transceiver programming option (solid optics are US based, with a programmer). Or just use 'service unsupported-transceiver'.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

The few Arista switches I have worked on seemed alright to me. The CLI is an awful lot like IOS. We don't have many customers on them so I don't run across them very often though.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

We're doing a switching refresh and Arista has been really aggressively courting our network guy for the business. Their main selling point is "WE HAVE SUB PICO SECOND LATENCY! PACKETS LITERALLY TELEPORT DIRECLTY BETWEEN HOSTS!" Which is cool but I don't run a high frequency trading operation and just don't have that kind of requirement in my environment. We're primarily interested in cost, with ease of management and automation support a close second. By those metrics, we ended up going with a bunch of Juniper QFX stuff.

Also I assume that was a tongue in cheek comment on the similarity between Cisco IOS and Arista, but yeah.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I don't really see the issue with standardizing common commands (helper-address for example)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Docjowles posted:

We're doing a switching refresh and Arista has been really aggressively courting our network guy for the business. Their main selling point is "WE HAVE SUB PICO SECOND LATENCY! PACKETS LITERALLY TELEPORT DIRECLTY BETWEEN HOSTS!" Which is cool but I don't run a high frequency trading operation and just don't have that kind of requirement in my environment. We're primarily interested in cost, with ease of management and automation support a close second. By those metrics, we ended up going with a bunch of Juniper QFX stuff.

Also I assume that was a tongue in cheek comment on the similarity between Cisco IOS and Arista, but yeah.

Well, they quoted the guy that I'm working with for like 1/3 of the cost of Cisco.

With that being said, Cisco overengineered the gently caress out of the solution they quoted them on, so I may have been able to talk them back over to Cisco on the grounds that ISE will resolve several major problems they have AND they won't have to run a 6800s in VSS at their core.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Docjowles posted:

Haha. That is news to me. If you ever work on an Arista switch CLI you would be forgiven for thinking it was a Cisco switch CLI. I can see why Cisco would be mad at Arista for basically xeroxing their entire CLI structure.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 17, 2015

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Prescription Combs posted:

switch(config)# service unsupported-transceiver
switch(config)# no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid
I was trying to use an unsupported SFP on a 2921 router and didn't have the service unsupported-transceiver command (on IOS 15.2), so YMMV.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo
http://www.precisionot.com/

We use this company for cheap Cisco compatible SFPs and SFP+s. May want to try them.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

wyoak posted:

I was trying to use an unsupported SFP on a 2921 router and didn't have the service unsupported-transceiver command (on IOS 15.2), so YMMV.

It's hidden and won't auto complete, you have to type out the whole thing.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

falz posted:

It's hidden and won't auto complete, you have to type out the whole thing.
I know, but it's just not on that device/IOS (the caret actually points at the unsupported-transceiver part)
code:
This-Router-Hostname(config)#service unsupported-transceiver
                                ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

wyoak posted:

I know, but it's just not on that device/IOS (the caret actually points at the unsupported-transceiver part)
code:
This-Router-Hostname(config)#service unsupported-transceiver
                                ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

IIRC, the commands are only in the catalyst switches. No clue on the router side.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

Prescription Combs posted:

IIRC, the commands are only in the catalyst switches. No clue on the router side.

I've been able to use them on older routers, but the ISR G2s I have not.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Antillie posted:

Haha. That is news to me. If you ever work on an Arista switch CLI you would be forgiven for thinking it was a Cisco switch CLI. I can see why Cisco would be mad at Arista for basically xeroxing their entire CLI structure.

A good portion of Arista's engineers are ex-Cisco, so it's not super suprising.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Bummer that everyone clones IOS syntax. Someone should clone Juniper already.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

Silly question. sh ip route displays a gateway of last resort:

Gateway of last resort is 10.88.1.194 to network 0.0.0.0

But the routing table has two 0.0.0.0/0 routes:
code:
D*EX 0.0.0.0/0 [170/281856] via 10.88.1.194, 6d05h, GigabitEthernet8/45
               [170/281856] via 10.88.1.193, 6d05h, GigabitEthernet8/45
Will the router attempt equal cost load balancing or will everything go out 10.88.1.194?

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

By default, EIGRP load-shares over equal-cost paths. So yeah, you probably have some load balancing going on there. Fine for your core or aggregation layer. Not so useful for the access layer where you probably have stateful firewalls which will rightly block asymmetric TCP traffic.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
sh ip cef 0.0.0.0/0 will give you insight into the actual hashing. Although it looks like both next hops are on the same L2 segment via the same interface.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
Are there any substantial difference between the 642-902 (CCNP Route) exam and the new 300-101 (Routing V2) exam? From what I understand, the 300 exam has replaced the 642 for the CCNP.

I'm supposed to take the 300 exam in a few months, but I just realized Odom's book that I have been using is for the 642 exam.

Edit: New exam is 300-101, not -001.

Filthy Lucre fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 21, 2015

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

falz posted:

Bummer that everyone clones IOS syntax. Someone should clone Juniper already.

Vyatta is similar

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

CrazyLittle posted:

Vyatta is similar
Vyatta is dead, long live vyos/edgeos.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

adorai posted:

Vyatta is dead, long live vyos/edgeos.

It lives on as Brocade Network Functions Virtualization Brocade Vyatta v5400 vRouter. vSeriously.

also Vyatta is dead, long live vyos/edgeos.
(VyOS TBH is kinda poo poo - ospfv3 doesn't work. :mad: )

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 22, 2015

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

CrazyLittle posted:

(VyOS TBH is kinda poo poo - ospfv3 doesn't work. :mad: )
We use it pretty successfully in our enterprise.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

adorai posted:

We use it pretty successfully in our enterprise.

vyos or ospfv3-on-vyos?

Brocade actually ditched Quagga in order to get ospfv3 functionality.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

CrazyLittle posted:

vyos or ospfv3-on-vyos?

Brocade actually ditched Quagga in order to get ospfv3 functionality.
Just vyos. I guess my network isn't fancy enough to need the ospfv3 features. I only have ~65 WAN links with maybe 10 to 15 backup links, so my network is pretty simple.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

adorai posted:

Just vyos. I guess my network isn't fancy enough to need the ospfv3 features. I only have ~65 WAN links with maybe 10 to 15 backup links, so my network is pretty simple.

Yeah, I'm mostly looking for ospfv3 functionality so that I can have a fully meshed core with ipv6 dual stack. Brocade went back to a commercial implementation of zebos, whereas Quagga's project page still says

quote:

Support for OSPFv3 and IS-IS is various beta states currently; IS-IS for IPv4 is believed to be usable while OSPFv3 and IS-IS for IPv6 have known issues.

welp.

I've got 1-2 Brocade Vyatta routers in production, and a few more VyOS as well, with a few hundred Edgerouters at customer sites, and with ARIN's IPv4 delegations running out by the end of this year, the urge to get customers on board with IPv6 would be a year-end dream goal for me.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 23, 2015

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Looking for a bit of help from dudes that know a lot more than I do. I'm working wth 2 (well currently 1, because the second one bricked on me) AIR-CAP1532I-A-K9 devices, supposedly they should pull an address from DHCP out of the box instead of being static, which is completely false. I've never once configured cisco gear and I'm trying to blunder my way through this. How can I configure this thing to pull an address from DHCP? It's currently statically assigned 10.0.0.1, but I can't access the web interface, perhaps HTTP/HTTPS is turned off natively or something. I've got console access for the one that isn't broken (the bricked one is not showing anything on the console connection even during reboot, so I'm guessing the flash memory got wiped) but I'm apparently an idiot and don't know how to google for what I'm trying to do. So either A) I need to figure out how to turn on http/https so I can access the web GUI, or B) I need to just figure out how to configure it to pull an address from my DHCP server via the CLI.

This was supposed to be easy, configure option 43 on my server and voila, it talks to our WLC and we're good to go, but of course nothing is that easy :(

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Apparently Brocade dropped device clustering support in Vyatta 6.7 :iiam:

MF_James, looks fairly straight forward IOS.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/15-3-3/configuration/guide/cg15-3-3.html

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
This isn't actually Cisco but maybe some of you have worked on them before...I'm configuring AdTran 3430's for the back office of some retail locations. The people working at the locations aren't always the most technically inclined, and sometimes they plug things into places they shouldn't when they think things are broken. I'd like to configure DHCP snooping so that our firewall doesn't pull a DHCP address from another device plugged into the switch, but I can't see find a way to do it. Anyone happen to have used AOS before? I could just remove unused ports from the main VLAN I suppose, but I'd prefer something more plug-n-play.

Merk Mang
Jan 24, 2004

Why don't you just get up and dance?

wyoak posted:

This isn't actually Cisco but maybe some of you have worked on them before...I'm configuring AdTran 3430's for the back office of some retail locations. The people working at the locations aren't always the most technically inclined, and sometimes they plug things into places they shouldn't when they think things are broken. I'd like to configure DHCP snooping so that our firewall doesn't pull a DHCP address from another device plugged into the switch, but I can't see find a way to do it. Anyone happen to have used AOS before? I could just remove unused ports from the main VLAN I suppose, but I'd prefer something more plug-n-play.

I'm not sure if AOS has a IOS DHCP snooping equivalent but maybe you can accomplish what you're trying to do with an access-list? Allow DHCP traffic on the port you're expecting your DHCP server requests/responses to come from and deny it everywhere else.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
What do you guys do if you need more ports at a location where you might not be able to or want to pay an electrician to run more drops to? I need a small and inexpensive managed switch that has 802.3af, 802.1x, STP, CDP/LLDP and preferably a CLI. Is an 8 port 2960 my best option?

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

adorai posted:

What do you guys do if you need more ports at a location where you might not be able to or want to pay an electrician to run more drops to? I need a small and inexpensive managed switch that has 802.3af, 802.1x, STP, CDP/LLDP and preferably a CLI. Is an 8 port 2960 my best option?

Those mini 2960/3560s are fantastic. Full IOS, and 100% passive so you can run them on people's desks without annoying them with a fan.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

ragzilla posted:

Those mini 2960/3560s are fantastic. Full IOS, and 100% passive so you can run them on people's desks without annoying them with a fan.

Second the mini 3560s, they are great to have around. We love the PoE capabilities and full IOS is awesome. Careful that it'll get pretty warm in an enclosed space :v:
e: These little guys are my favourites. http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-2960-c-series-switches/data_sheet_c78-639705.html

Yeast Confection fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 25, 2015

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
The 2960/3560 C series rocks.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

less than three posted:

The 2960/3560 C series rocks.

the Juniper EX2200-C also rocks, I have 2 at home (PoE and non PoE)

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

I've got to agree with the love for the C series, especially the 3560Cs. My favourite is the CPD switches - these can be powered via PoE from uplink switches and a couple of those models can even pass through that power to other devices!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

nzspambot posted:

the Juniper EX2200-C also rocks, I have 2 at home (PoE and non PoE)

I have about a dozen of these. Only thing that pisses me off is the PoE model only will power 6 ports.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

MF_James posted:

Looking for a bit of help from dudes that know a lot more than I do. I'm working wth 2 (well currently 1, because the second one bricked on me) AIR-CAP1532I-A-K9 devices, supposedly they should pull an address from DHCP out of the box instead of being static, which is completely false. I've never once configured cisco gear and I'm trying to blunder my way through this. How can I configure this thing to pull an address from DHCP? It's currently statically assigned 10.0.0.1, but I can't access the web interface, perhaps HTTP/HTTPS is turned off natively or something. I've got console access for the one that isn't broken (the bricked one is not showing anything on the console connection even during reboot, so I'm guessing the flash memory got wiped) but I'm apparently an idiot and don't know how to google for what I'm trying to do. So either A) I need to figure out how to turn on http/https so I can access the web GUI, or B) I need to just figure out how to configure it to pull an address from my DHCP server via the CLI.

This was supposed to be easy, configure option 43 on my server and voila, it talks to our WLC and we're good to go, but of course nothing is that easy :(

On the one thats not showing anything on console, it will show stuff even if the flash got wiped. It sounds dead. Try some resets with this guide: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/1200/installation/guide/1200-TD-Book-Wrapper/120h_6.html#wp1036746

On the one where you're getting that IP, here's whats happening:

quote:

Default IP Address Behavior

When you connect a 1200 series access point running Cisco IOS Release 12.3(2)JA or later software with a default configuration to your LAN, the access point requests an IP address from your DHCP server and, if it does not receive an IP address, continues to send requests indefinitely.

When you connect a 1200 series access point running Cisco IOS Release 12.2(15)JA or earlier software with a default configuration to your LAN, the access point requests an IP address from your DHCP server and, if it does not receive an IP address, the access point assigns a default IP address of 10.0.0.1

If you have a WLC and the AP has a lightweight image, it will not have a web gui and will rely on CAPWAP/LWAPP to boot. Verify this by plugging a console cable, restarting the AP and getting the image name as it loads it, it'll be something like "c1530-k9w7-morestuff.tar". If it k9w7, its autonomous/standalone, if its k9w8, its lightweight. I've only used 3600 series AP's but from what you're describing, it sounds like its got an autonomous image on and not a lightweight image, so it won't go and boot from your WLC. When my 3600's boot, if they dont get an IP they will just sit there with no IP address all day. Or maybe its just a difference between the 1500's and the 3600's

If it is on lightweight, then have a read about the boot process and how it will try to boot, it might help you figure out why its not getting there: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-0MR1/configuration/guide/wlc_cg70MR1/cg_lwap.html#pgfId-1459171

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Apr 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
So I've got two 3750E's in a simple stack, and we're having a problem where we get a crash, then a stack re-election and the stack master changes. I'm not sure if the stack master election is a symptom or a trigger for the crash at this point.

My question is, if there is a hardware failure issue, what are my options for determining which switch in the stack is having trouble? From the logs we have, it appears that the stack is treated as a single unit.