Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm just going to assume my instance of Artifice is at fault and just needs an update. In the Artifice configuration, I disabled the natural generation of Artifice stones. Instead, I had the CoFH ore generator create strata of them above sea level, as well as those basalt crusts around lava ponds. I don't have any of it in front of me, but I never got the impression from the language in the configuration that would disable using those materials for anything.

I will probably update a bunch of the mods this weekend as a matter of course. I wanted to also potentially make some changes to CoFH for generation myself, but I have completely forgotten how to work with gradle correctly. So I have to start over on that. It was practically a month ago when I was doodling on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm just going to assume my instance of Artifice is at fault and just needs an update. In the Artifice configuration, I disabled the natural generation of Artifice stones. Instead, I had the CoFH ore generator create strata of them above sea level, as well as those basalt crusts around lava ponds. I don't have any of it in front of me, but I never got the impression from the language in the configuration that would disable using those materials for anything.

I will probably update a bunch of the mods this weekend as a matter of course. I wanted to also potentially make some changes to CoFH for generation myself, but I have completely forgotten how to work with gradle correctly. So I have to start over on that. It was practically a month ago when I was doodling on that.

Please be sure to include the update for Thermal Smeltery...it fixes a bug where trying to modify the travelers armor causes the game to crash.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So I'm trying to get a decent mod setup and I'm having a weird problem. I tried this modpack called It's A Beautiful World and I wanted to turn off a mod or two in it, but "Disable" is in pink and it won't let me disable them. This is for mods that don't have child mods or anything seemingly relying on them. In fact, there's only one or two mods in the whole thing I even seem able to disable. What's going on here?

I'm not big on building complex machines or anything. I mostly just want to explore and find interesting things like villages and ruins and stuff. It doesn't seem tremendously easy to find a pack that satisfies that without also having mods where I can build spaceships or adding unkillable alligators that sink into the ground.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
How possible would it be to make a website that scrapes / is manually fed by the user modpack links and then compares packs for you? Like if I wanted to compare like an OMP kinda pack to a FTP launcher pack and see which mods they each are "missing" from each other, poo poo like that?

If that's easily possible at all someone please steal this idea immediately. It would also be nice if you could just pick a mod and get all packs with it installed, or better yet a list of mods you want and then get the most relevant packs and what it has/doesn't have compared to your list. Version info would also be nice. I'd say custom config stuff too but that's probably pretty impossible to do non-manually.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Light Gun Man posted:

It would also be nice if you could just pick a mod and get all packs with it installed, or better yet a list of mods you want and then get the most relevant packs and what it has/doesn't have compared to your list. Version info would also be nice. I'd say custom config stuff too but that's probably pretty impossible to do non-manually.

This would be pretty cool.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is there such a thing as a Sphax "complete" texture pack? I've always liked the look of it but trawling through various bdcraft forum posts/google/whatever to get textures for dozens of mods makes me :shepicide:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I was going to update the mods for Baby's First Space Race this weekend, but I am have been having success rewriting the CoFH dungeon generator to create the Nether Outposts I wanted. I am now moving on to the molten ponds I was hoping to see too. So I am distracted with that. If this all pans out and my code goes upstream, I'd want to wait until the CoFH mods officially release. Otherwise, I'm posting dirty laundry that will confuse the poo poo out of KingLemming and Skyboy if somebody complains about it.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Sorry my feedback stopped Rocko, i always tend to hit a wall with MC when it comes to "Okay, gotta build a shitload of rooms to house all of this in. :v:" and then Age of Wonders 3 had its expansion happen. :haw:

If you push a new version and it requires (or you recommend) starting over, please post about it and ill pick it back up.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Is there such a thing as a Sphax "complete" texture pack? I've always liked the look of it but trawling through various bdcraft forum posts/google/whatever to get textures for dozens of mods makes me :shepicide:

For popular enough modpacks someone has usually already done this for you if you look hard enough. Otherwise no, its impossible to have textures for all mods and all versions of mods someone might be using in any given pack.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

For popular enough modpacks someone has usually already done this for you if you look hard enough. Otherwise no, its impossible to have textures for all mods and all versions of mods someone might be using in any given pack.

Fair point :v: I'm a bit spoiled by things like JSTR Universal, I suppose.

Not much chance of getting a Sphax pack for Progress or OMP-i or Modderation: Permabanned... maybe I can install textures for some popular kitchen-sink pack like RR3 and go from there, take off some of the burden.

Never sure what modpack/goon server to play on nowadays. I don't even collaborate or chat all that much, you'd think I'd just play single player or something but for some reason I get bored faster that way. :shrug:

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Also Rocko, if/when you update Baby's First Space Race, please please go into the Nether Ores config and turn off hellfish/exploding ores/mining pisses off pigmen. Even as an experienced player I find all of those unfun, and hellfish can pretty much destroy any ability to go to the nether by bringing the computer/server to a crawl.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

taiyoko posted:

Also Rocko, if/when you update Baby's First Space Race, please please go into the Nether Ores config and turn off hellfish/exploding ores/mining pisses off pigmen. Even as an experienced player I find all of those unfun, and hellfish can pretty much destroy any ability to go to the nether by bringing the computer/server to a crawl.

Maybe.

Hellfish should be off already. If they showed up, then I messed that up. I will look at what I can do without the pigmen if I can change the CoFH generation code to work in my favor without accidentally screwing it up for normal stuff. I was hoping I could get my Nether Outposts up, which should drop out blazes and wither skeletons. However, I do want to keep the exploding ore. It does cause a lot of chain explosions given the oregen rate I have, but I wanted to keep that little bit of danger for the extra ore doubling. It also has a tendency of popping out stuff I might not necessarily have the right tool level to harvest.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

what you need to do is put one together for your pack and then pass it around, so Get the default and add the "packs" you need

I know there are Voltz and Technic ones already.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

taiyoko posted:

how does vein mining with an atomic disintegrator work with the exploding ores?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Maybe.

Hellfish should be off already. If they showed up, then I messed that up. I will look at what I can do without the pigmen if I can change the CoFH generation code to work in my favor without accidentally screwing it up for normal stuff. I was hoping I could get my Nether Outposts up, which should drop out blazes and wither skeletons. However, I do want to keep the exploding ore. It does cause a lot of chain explosions given the oregen rate I have, but I wanted to keep that little bit of danger for the extra ore doubling. It also has a tendency of popping out stuff I might not necessarily have the right tool level to harvest.

Can you at least shut it off for Nether Quartz? I can live without mining the other poo poo, but it's kinda annoying when I go to dig up some quartz and set off a chain reaction that blows up everything in two chunks.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

President Ark posted:

Can you at least shut it off for Nether Quartz? I can live without mining the other poo poo, but it's kinda annoying when I go to dig up some quartz and set off a chain reaction that blows up everything in two chunks.

Tentatively, yes. I just set this a minute ago:
code:
        # If true, Nether Quartz ore will be a NetherOre and will follow the same rules as all other NetherOres.
        B:OverrideNetherQuartz=false
Honestly, I did not know it was a thing, but I'm glad I checked before just saying so and being wrong.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I would like to say tho, in the defence of the nether oregen, its pretty loving awesome to set of a chain reaction that just doesn't stop! :aaa:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Anyways, I got to the moon today in BFSR, and I have a couple comments:

1. You might want to disable the vanilla oregen on the moon (and, presumably, other space dimensions); when I went there, it was choked with vanilla ores and finding any of the moon-specific stuff was pretty hard.
2. In the context of "this is a tutorial-ish modpack" you might want to have something in there where you have the player do something with the magma crucible (probably make redstone energy fluxducts/cells); if I was a new player figuring out these mods I imagine that'd be the big thing that trips me up because unlike everything else you have to gently caress with machinery in a way and can't shuffle outputs of one device to another manually - you have to either figure out ThermEx side configuration/how to configure the magma crucible or liquid transposer to fill/empty buckets/use fluiducts to connect machines directly to make them. If you did have them make redstone energy fluxducts/cells, a good followup would be showing that you can put leadstone/hardened fluxducts/cells into a pulverizer to recycle them.
3. If you add a 'postgame' that occurs after the moon quests are complete, some good ones would be: Making tesseracts to move things across dimensions, making a mekanism teleporter so you don't have to take a rocket every time, making a space station (possible followup: making a MFR laser drill), making an enderthermic pump and pumping lava.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

And one of the steel quests refers to the high oven, which isn't in this pack.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I still have a high oven dingleberry in the quest book? I thought I took them all out.

I was going back-and-forth about how far to go with stuff like the magma crucible. I can't remember if I kept redstone energy cells in there. IIRC hardened cells don't need to run through an infusion step, so they don't need destabilized redstone. I know at least at one point, I was just trying to dodge the whole thing as a distraction.

Also I think you can create destabilized redstone in the smeltery now too, so that's another way to dodge a crucible.

As for more advanced quests, I was probably going to stop roughly at the point of reaching the moon. The overall goal was to get people into technical packs, so that they could then feel at ease in the more complicated packs that otherwise provide no objectives. I had kind of just assumed that was obvious, so I'm surprised at how people are trying to build pretty bases and milk all the machines. I was thinking though of adding a chapter to do with teleportation and chunk loading, because they are two questions that usually come up together, and a naive newcomer would be completely unaware of chunk loading as a problem.

I'll add a dimension restriction to constrain that oregen to the Overworld. That should take it out of the moon. I thought I had already done this, but I only superficially dug down into the moon when I was playing around with it.

I feel like the moon should have something neat under it though as part of my whole idea of "crazy stupid resources." Would underground lakes of gelid cryotheum feel about right?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Eeeeeh, not unless you work in Big Reactors as a thing or show that you can use them with TE's ducts. Gelid Cryotheum is sort of a specialty "King of poo poo Mountain" resource; something for the rich to dick around with and eke out a few more percentage points of efficiency in their builds. It's not really used much in normal builds, especially for those you're building the modpack for. Maybe straight up diamond/emerald block deposits? Destabilized redstone pools?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Sage Grimm posted:

Eeeeeh, not unless you work in Big Reactors as a thing or show that you can use them with TE's ducts. Gelid Cryotheum is sort of a specialty "King of poo poo Mountain" resource; something for the rich to dick around with and eke out a few more percentage points of efficiency in their builds. Maybe straight up diamond/emerald block deposits? Destabilized redstone pools?

Big reactors are in already. Considering the modpack's guided portion currently stops dead as soon as you step foot on the moon's surface, I think it's fine having silly endgame materials like Gelid Cryotheum on it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Cool, then by all means gel it up. Add in pools of enderfluid too!

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I would also like some way to convert/make oil, because that poo poo was hard to find for my rocket.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

axelsoar posted:

I would also like some way to convert/make oil, because that poo poo was hard to find for my rocket.

Does MFR no longer have the oil fabricator?

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

President Ark posted:

Does MFR no longer have the oil fabricator?

OH.... right.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I didn't know about the oil fabricator myself. I've been fixated on refining the stuff. I really hate the Galacticraft refinery.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Just cover the moon in impossible fluids

lakes of fluid yellorium, liquid steam, and pockets of energized glowstone that will flood up in your mining tunnels

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Blind Duke posted:

Just cover the moon in impossible fluids

lakes of fluid yellorium, liquid steam, and pockets of energized glowstone that will flood up in your mining tunnels

It sounds fun until you land in it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Pockets of energized glowstone sound rad, though.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

McFrugal posted:

Tricky to have it spawning in because it flows against gravity.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

McFrugal posted:

on one server spawn i did, the ceiling of spawn was covered in energized glowstone - it was pretty until someone bypassed Worldguard and used a matter cannon to blast holes in the roof....

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

President Ark posted:

Tricky to have it spawning in because it flows against gravity.

There are a few things in the new CoFH generator to mitigate. Just setting it at low Y levels is probably enough, but I could try to encase it in a sphere, for example.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Whats the go to big bad got every mod mod pack these days?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Reason posted:

Whats the go to big bad got every mod mod pack these days?

Recently i have been playing TPPI and Hermitcraft Modsauce,

OMP-i has been mentioned on here quite a bit.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
#ThermalExpansion has been quiet when I'm banging on stuff. Is everybody in Europe there or something? I looked into the CoFH lake generator a little bit, and I was wondering if somebody in the thread has actually toyed with terrain generators. The general problem I see is when checking blocks, sometimes the block will be in yet another chunk that hasn't been generated. So Minecraft will try to load the chunk, find it doesn't exist, then queue it up to be generated. This will then trigger the lake generator have a go on the new chunk, and so on and so forth. It could wind up >10km away before the call stack breaks down, as far as I can tell.

All I can really think to do is coerce the generator to move generation inwards to chunks that are already generated, and just augment the existing terrain. I'm not entirely sure how to do that, but I assume that's what other mods do that are throwing in splashes of stuff.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Huh, so this happened a lot sooner than I thought, especially with how unhappy Azanor sounded about 1.8 after it was released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a61UdegZiAk

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I didn't know about the oil fabricator myself. I've been fixated on refining the stuff. I really hate the Galacticraft refinery.

It is pretty bad, you could maybe add some recipes to the fluid imposer, use liquifacted coal and something else maybe.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
You can also just make rocket fuel out of water with a little bit of titanium I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

What's the current pouplar modpack in the "Tekkit" style lately -- is this what Rocko has been talking about?

I rather liked Tekkit but as far as I can tell, that's pretty much been abandoned.

• Locked thread