Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Neeksy posted:

For a second, I thought he was going to point out Reagan & Iran-Contra.

Me too, that seems like it would have been the obvious go-to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

There is something magical about that old-rear end man having "Let It Go" as his ringtone.

I wonder if NDT can make The Nightly Show not suck. I'm not holding my breath.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
PEOPLE FROM FLORIDA SURE ARE CRAZY! hahaha wow, right out of left field there, Larry! What a fresh and amazing take!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Do people say cray cray that was some 2005 catch phrase that he won't drop as far as I know

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Krinkle posted:

Do people say cray cray that was some 2005 catch phrase that he won't drop as far as I know

The guy is old-man jokes personified, so yeah. Even his joke for tonight's promo was old-man "at least he SAYS he's Neil Degrasse Tyson *skeptical look*".

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I don't get it. Stevie wonder held his arm out, the mike stand hit it, and then he didn't catch it. He dropped it and this proves he can see?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

NDT explaining to two grown adults that the moon landing was real made me sad.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

NDT explaining to two grown adults that the moon landing was real made me sad.

Good god, is TNS questioning the loving moon landing at this point?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I don't even know what TNS is trying to be anymore.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

COOL CORN posted:

I don't even know what TNS is trying to be anymore.
It feels like they're a half-step away from being Red Eye, that dumbass Fox News "comedic" discussion show. Seems like their panelists (and host) have about the same intelligence, too.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

Good god, is TNS questioning the loving moon landing at this point?

The panel segment was on "conspiracy theories" despite the first segment being something else entirely. Larry started the panel out with something like "There are some crazy conspiracy theories out there, we all believe a couple of them..." to which NDT quickly interjected with "No, not all of us."

One of the panel members was also a member of the show's staff so I don't know if this show is just hurting for guests now or what. You're not going to get many people that anyone gives a poo poo about listening to when they don't have an opportunity to plug their new thing, though.

Really wish he'd just give up on those wacky "my 1970s talk show" bits, those are just painful.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 17, 2015

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm watching the segment right now and they aren't questioning the moon landing, Larry is lobbing conspiracy softballs and Tyson is smacking them down, along with some jackass interrupting them with what he thinks are jokes.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Missed opportunity in the Skywalker ranch bit.

"Star Wars? More like Class Wars!"

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

They won't even let Trevor Noah get to the desk and prove himself. Also, have they seen Larry Wilmore on TDS?

haveblue posted:

I'm watching the segment right now and they aren't questioning the moon landing, Larry is lobbing conspiracy softballs and Tyson is smacking them down, along with some jackass interrupting them with what he thinks are jokes.

Can we swap Larry for NDT as host?

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.
I'm not even touch that boring and stupid snitching episode, that was not funny, interesting, or enlightening in any possible way.

Am I right in saying that the conspiracy theory panel was entirely just "let's troll NDT"? A negligible amount of people believe those things, was it really worth having NDT on your show just to gently caress around with all that? What a motherfucking waste of time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I suspect that was their answer to the critics saying that they let antivax views go unchallenged. Here we are doing nothing but challenging!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It was dumb but I might watch the show more if it was just Tyson yelling at stupid people and telling them why they're wrong.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
So, a friend of mine wound up watching Trevor Noah's documentary on Netflix, and it actually managed to have him go from hating the guy (having gotten mad in the twitter mess and all) to actually liking him, because it made him realise why Trevor's background and mindset is.

Hopefully, once he's hosting, others will be able to go through roughly the same process.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
Caught up on the nightly show while doing my weekly destiny grinds, I can't believe on the tuesday episode a random audience member came in as a panelist. And she was funnier than the rest of the panel. How is this show still on the air.

I'm generally a pro-death penalty guy but an NPR episode had an argument I hadn't considered before, that due to the appeals process the victims have to relive their loved ones deaths over and over as the defense gets to try a variety of tactics to stall or reverse the death penalty and the families get called to testify over and over. That is pretty horrifying and if the families are ok with life in prison (like many in the boston case are) then who am I to demand death.

Still, the Wilmore panel was an utter joke and this show needs to get yanked, even south park reruns would be more informative and probably higher ratings.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

spronk posted:

I'm generally a pro-death penalty guy

Knowing innocents have died?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I'm 100% for the Death Penalty because we have powerful magiks that allow us to resurrect the hundreds of people we've executed who, woops, turned out to be innocent after all.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

And that it's heinously expensive and has absolutely no deterrent effect?

And having the emotional maturity of someone more than 5 years old?

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

How are u posted:

I'm 100% for the Death Penalty because we have powerful magiks that allow us to resurrect the hundreds of people we've executed who, woops, turned out to be innocent after all.

The reason most innocent people are not ressurected is that they do want to take the level and constitution penalty. They prefer rolling new characters.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Larry Wilmore's Blerd off against Neil deGrasse Tyson. I was hoping for something better, like Colbert when he nerded out on stuff, I don't know why. The joke wears thin very quickly. Disappointing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

They're the lucky ones, they get sent to see Jesus early! :angel:

Jorghnassen posted:

The joke wears thin very quickly. Disappointing.

This accurately describes any given part of The Nightly Show.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
John Slattery!

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Stewbeef dies Aug, 6th RIP

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Yeah, after tonight I think I am officially done with The Nightly Show.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

swickles posted:

Yeah, after tonight I think I am officially done with The Nightly Show.

What happened this time? I missed everything tonight.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Neeksy posted:

What happened this time? I missed everything tonight.

Just the general attack on the ESPN employee for railing against a tow truck employee. 1. Its not actual news, the entire story was an employee of ESPN being a dick to a tow truck employee. 2. I am a huge sports fan and I have barely heard of said employee, so its not like a loving A or B or even C lister doing it. 3. The footage is heavily edited and only shows her reactions, not what the employee says or does, even in the raw footage that was shopped by the tow truck employee for a week before this came out. 4. gently caress all tow truck employees categorically. They deserve that poo poo.

edit: I feel like my points would be the ones pointed out by the Daily Show and Wilmore is just going for cheap laughs and poo poo. I gave him the benefit of the doubt on the death penalty thing, because I feel like you can bring an alternative view to the popular one and still have a an intelligent argument. This was the last time I watch TNS go after someone for the sole cause of public opinion. Its antithetical to what the daily show ever did. All they are doing is Hulk Hoganing, holding their hand to their ear and listening to the audience cheer them on with out any nuance or delineation of the facts.

swickles fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 21, 2015

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

i bet the hulkster would be a good nightly show panelist.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Are you ready brother! For the Nightly Show!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Nightly Show with Hulk Hogan? gently caress yeah, let's do this.

Maybe once a week someone can get slammed through the panel table.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
So is it cool to make fun of Ben Affleck again?

Because gently caress Argo.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The question is, is it ever not cool to make fun of Ben Affleck.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
People quickly rushed to his defense after the Batman casting backlash.

Dude got the role and the Oscar after his Argo whitewashing; so I have no sympathy for him.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Winkie01 posted:

Stewbeef dies Aug, 6th RIP

It will be on the 70th anniversary of Hiroshima's bombing. I wonder if they'll use that in some way...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Uh did anyone else notice they blurred out Chrissy Tegans boobs at the end there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Echo Chamber posted:

So is it cool to make fun of Ben Affleck again?

Because gently caress Argo.

Ben Affleck went on Real Time and called out Bill Maher's lovely Islamophobia, he's cool in my book.

Maybe not Batman cool but he can have a go at it. Clooney did.

• Locked thread