Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

hogmartin posted:

Is there still any call for a dedicated radio operator, like a guy who knows electronics, propagation, and morse code? Or in the age of digital satellite communications is that something that's been rolled into a collateral job for someone else like a navigator/quartermaster? I've talked to a few old hams who were radio operators on ships and rigs decades ago who said that GROL and radar are pretty manageable if you can get an Extra class amateur license. Is that still a viable or desired specialty, or is the idea of a dedicated radio/comms operator a hilarious steampunk anachronism?

Hilarious steampunk anachronism. The last morse stations went offline years ago.

Legally it's all GMDSS, which any deck officer worth looking at is certified for (it's like a 60 hours course), in practice it's all V-Sat or something similar, which is fairly idiot proof. Radar is strictly a deck officer thing, within shore support for maintenance. I don't know what GROL is. GPS, radar, AIS, GMDSS. Those are pretty much the only things in use these days.

Cruise ships have electronics tech which are the closest thing I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

Cruise ships have electronics tech which are the closest thing I've seen.

The ETO (Electro-technical Officer) has reappeared as well, as a member of the engineering department.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

I don't know what GROL is.

FCC General radiotelephone operator license (commercial). It is apparently separate from GMDSS.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_radiotelephone_operator_license

localized
Mar 30, 2008
I've worked on vessels with radio operators, but that's just a fancy way of saying clerk/secretary. The mates and electronics technicians handle any operation and maintenance of the radios and communications equipment.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
I saw this video of an engine room fire on the Maersk Iowa on Gcaptain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUGvVjpKw04

That engine just blows the gently caress up :stare:

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
What caused it (and spread it)?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Blown fuel line? It's always blown fuel lines.

(Except when it's oily rags, but since it didn't start in a bucket, it's gotta be a busted fuel line)

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Polikarpov posted:

I saw this video of an engine room fire on the Maersk Iowa on Gcaptain.

Few big gently caress ups in my opinion:

No muster? What if the fire worsened and you had to drop CO2?
Non rescue BA entry? No loving way I'd do this so quick.

The blackout was likely from hitting QCVs. Can't tell if the grey mist is also HiFog or purely smoke.

Who the gently caress does stand-by's in jeans and a jumper? Does Maersk not supply overalls? Be interested to read the report but seem like a bunch of cowboys.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
Maersk have released a statement saying it was caused by an air start valve.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

pazrs posted:

Maersk have released a statement saying it was caused by an air start valve.

hahahahahaha

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Can someone explain to us sunlight dwelling idiots how exactly a start air valve starts a fire?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

Can someone explain to us sunlight dwelling idiots how exactly a start air valve starts a fire?

Accumulation of carried over oil (from the compressor) in the start air line being ignited by hot combustion gasses blowing past the start air valve can be one cause. Here's a better explanation

Maintain your start air valves and drain your air bottles every watch people.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

air start valve is a direct line into the combustion chamber and by its nature is a nonreturn valve
if the valve fails there's nothing to stop the combustion gasses blasting out down the pipe and more often than not there is oil inside the start air pipe because compressors are never in perfect condition
hot gasses
oil
an abundance of oxygen

ka
loving
boom

they normally have a flame trap to prevent this happening or reduce its effect but without seeing the layout of that ship i couldn't really tell you why a detonation could have happened

this kind of thing is meant to be safe by design but well it isn't a perfect world

goddamn it beerchiller

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

B33rChiller posted:

Maintain your start air valves and drain your air bottles every watch people.

Also, don't mindlessly keep topping up the oil in the compressor. If it's loosing it, its loving going somewhere!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

pazrs posted:

Also, don't mindlessly keep topping up the oil in the compressor. If it's loosing it, its loving going somewhere!

you shut your filthy whore mouth

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

i finally got to actually watch that video

it's almost mesmerising how you can see a jet of flame coming out of the valve with each rotation of the engine

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Two Finger posted:

i finally got to actually watch that video

it's almost mesmerising how you can see a jet of flame coming out of the valve with each rotation of the engine

It's fun when the whole thing finally lets go. Company sent that out with a bunch of other accident videos.

MLL provides coveralls but they mostly go to ABs and mates to save money. I just wear carharts or BDUs and a t shirt for comfort. If I have the duty and get an alarm I have no problem running down to the ECR in shorts and slippers though.

REOs are still carried on Matson vessels and car carriers. They get 2nds pay along with something like 2 hours OT a night whether they work it or not.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Apr 17, 2015

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Does REO mean something about refrigeration? I've never encountered the term before?

vvvvv Thanks, that makes sense.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 18, 2015

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

B33rChiller posted:

Does REO mean something about refrigeration? I've never encountered the term before?

Radio equipment operator

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

lightpole posted:

MLL provides coveralls but they mostly go to ABs and mates to save money.

In case they spill coffee on themselves?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I don't know about other boats, but on bulk carriers and especially self unloaders, the mates were usually the second dirtiest guys, after the tunnelmen or the deckhands sweeping the holds.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

FrozenVent posted:

I don't know about other boats, but on bulk carriers and especially self unloaders, the mates were usually the second dirtiest guys, after the tunnelmen or the deckhands sweeping the holds.

One tanker I worked on briefly as an A/B (as a casual) I only had overalls from a previous employer to wear. The mate cracked the sads with me big time for not repping the company and made me get some company overalls. For whatever reasons they only had white ones left (A/b's etc supposed to wear peasant orange and mates/engineers wear the nice whites)

Nevertheless I wore the new flashy white overalls for the first week of that stint till they got new stores and made her really pissy. Ah the little things.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

White coveralls are stupid as gently caress orange coveralls make you look like a prisoner.

Blue coveralls forever.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

FrozenVent posted:

orange coveralls make you look like a prisoner.

what makes you think we're not in prison

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
I'm doing it. I got fed up with my job so I''m moving to the coast and starting school for Marine Engineering. I've been thinking about this for a long time, ever since I first read this thread a couple years go. It sucks starting a new career at 26 but it could be a lot worse.

A couple questions:
How much fabricating and machining work happens on a ship? I really like welding and making sparks fly, but I have a feeling that might be out of the scope of marine engineering.

Related to the recent discussion about gyms. I'm would like to work the more lengthy jobs >3 months so it would be nice to have good accommodations in those situations. But what are my chances landing on a boat with a good gym? What are the gyms generally like?

And I am a Canadian Citizen. But I am getting a EU passport. Will I have any advantages with that?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

never happy posted:

I'm doing it. I got fed up with my job so I''m moving to the coast and starting school for Marine Engineering. I've been thinking about this for a long time, ever since I first read this thread a couple years go. It sucks starting a new career at 26 but it could be a lot worse.

A couple questions:
How much fabricating and machining work happens on a ship? I really like welding and making sparks fly, but I have a feeling that might be out of the scope of marine engineering.

Related to the recent discussion about gyms. I'm would like to work the more lengthy jobs >3 months so it would be nice to have good accommodations in those situations. But what are my chances landing on a boat with a good gym? What are the gyms generally like?

And I am a Canadian Citizen. But I am getting a EU passport. Will I have any advantages with that?

Your user name is oddly prescient.

Citizenship is an advantage, but more so having a certificate that's recognized in whatever flag state you're shooting for. Your situation is outside the realm of my experience.

Which school are you going to?

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

Going to BCIT

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

never happy posted:

Going to BCIT

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Don't do it. If you have an EU passport, go to a real marine college that knows what the gently caress they are doing. (MIWB) I finished up at BCIT in 2005 and am still struggling to pay off my student loans. I shudder to think what they are charging for tuition/shop fees/lab fees, etc now. Note that I said finished up, not "graduated". At the end of our 4 years, exactly zero students in my year had the requirements to graduate. The administration quietly informed us 2 weeks before our last final exam that if we did not get the full 6 months of sea time during each of the 3 sea phases, then we would be ineligible for graduation. Not that a BCIT diploma is worth the paper it's printed on, as far as job prospects are concerned. All that it's good for is once you've got enough sea time for your 2nd class ticket, it proves to Transport Canada that you've done most of the exams. The 4th class ticket you get after your 3rd year is what is necessary to work as an engineer. Honestly, the job market is lovely for Engineers. If you're lucky, you go and work on the lakes for decent money. Maybe you luck out and get a gig working casual/on call for BC Ferries or the Coast Guard, never knowing if you will be working one day to the next for years and years. Or maybe you want to go deep sea, and compete with better qualified and better educated engineers from India or the Philippines. Keep in mind that they can live like kings at home for less money than you could make at McDonald's. Or maybe you can get a job taking people on holidays, working for poo poo money for months at a time on a cruise ship. If you're not already a raging alcoholic, you will be in short order. Better hope you already hate your liver. If you're looking at moving to Vancouver for school, you better pray to the diesel gods that you get in to the BCIT residence for the first year, because if you don't, you will be paying an arm, leg, and your first born child to a North Vancouver slumlord to rent a terrible apartment.
Also, in general, a career at sea will put enormous stress on any kind of family life you might want to have at home.

Starting at BCIT for marine engineering was a financially marginal choice when I started in 2001. Cost of living in the Vancouver area has shot to the moon since then, and I'm certain schooling fees have continued to increased at the maximum legal rate since then. If you really want to move to the coast and sign yourself up for a lifetime of debt slavery, just buy a house or condo there. At least you'll be able to spend time with loved ones.

If you are dead set on getting into marine engineering, seriously look into going to the Netherlands for their program. I did an exchange over there, and the quality of instruction (in English no less) was leagues ahead of our lovely little backwater college. It may have something to do with a long history of seafaring, and the fact that they have been providing instruction at the MIWB longer than Canada has been a country.

If you don't want to apply to a Dutch school, and would prefer to stay in Canada, then look at the Coast Guard College. It's free, and they actually start paying you a salary as soon as you start class. You also come out with a permanent job in the federal public service.

Or another option would be to apply to whatever college FrozenVent went to. I've been meaning to ask if they provide instruction in English. I understand out of province pays higher than students from Quebec, but it would likely still be far cheaper than BCIT. And I can't imagine the cost of living near that school would be as bad a North Vancouver.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

I'm not too worried about the money. I'm from Calgary and have a whole bunch of oil & gas money saved up. The housing situation doesn't look too bad for me right now, especially coming from Calgary where renting is even worse (I'm actually selling my house though).

What concerns me is not getting sea time and a job. Is it really that bad? I'm going to into this for the money. I don't care if I have to takes months at a time at sea if it means I can payed better.

I'll check out this college in Netherlands.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

eh. The marine engineering programs in Europe is a masters program so that's out of the question.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

There's college / bachelor programs in Europe too, masters are a whole other thing and you do not need one.

IMQ is all in French, especially the engineering department. I'd check out Georgian Bay and Newfoundland, you might end up with less debt (and better opportunities on the East Coast and Lakes.)

I sailed with a few deck guys from BCIT. Including a guy who had an OOW unlimited and sailed as a cadet, make of that what you will. Best cadet I ever had was from there too, but he ain't sailing any more. Smart guy. Don't really have much of an opinion on the school itself or it's graduates... But then I didn't sail with a whole lot of them.

You'd probably get more interesting opportunities in Europe, to be honest. Canada's ferries, lakes and offshore Newfoundland. Oh and the Arctic boats, if you can / want to get into that. The Coast Guard is... Well, if you want to be in the Coast Guard, go to the Coast Guard college.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

I was thinking St. Johns, but the deadline was already passed up. I could consider Europe next year if I don't like it at BCIT.

I'm not too worried about debt. I've got enough oil money to sustain me for a while. I'm mostly worried about getting jobs after graduation. I want to be on big loving ships that pay well. I don't care if it's far from home either. I'm not leaving anything behind.

Kindest Forums User fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 21, 2015

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

As a Canadian, big loving ships and far from home are two things that are incompatible with pays well.

(Your definitions of far from home and big loving ships are not accurate)

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

It looks like I have a handful of misconceptions here haha.
I guess my priorities in a career are two things:
1) pays well
2) long voyages

I'm interested in having long stretches of vacation time to do some intense travelling. And the funds to go with. It'd be nice to work on some neato big ships when I am out at sea.

It sounds like I might be demanding a lot here. I guess I was under the impression marine engineers have pretty good options. Is that not the case for Canadians? What's going to be holding me back to meet my criteria?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Marine engineers have great options.

Long voyages are international, so they can hire internationally. Because they flag the boats in third world countries. Everyone does this or they won't be competitive.

If you're flagged in a third world country, you can hire people from those countries. Captains from India make ~40k a year. Maybe 50k. That's captain, so figure about ten fifteen years of experience. Imagine what the entry level guys are making! (Hint: it's less than minimum wage in Canada)

You want to make money on boats as a Canadian, it's the lakes or the offshore business. You want to make better money as a marine engineer in Canada, you move to the oil patch.

So your options are running between a grain elevator and another grain elevator or standing by an offshore platform in the Grand Banks. But yeah, you get six months a year.

Europeans have somewhat more interesting options in terms of scenery, although I have no idea what the job market is like over there.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

What's the offshore business like in terms of voyage length? And can I work in the States?
And can you take multiple voyages back to back? Say something was only two weeks, I do that for four consecutive times so I can be out for 2 months.

Kindest Forums User fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 22, 2015

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

You can't work in the states. You'd need a green card, and USCG certification.

Offshore I think is six weeks and six weeks, but I could be wrong. I think flashman works offshore, but he might be shipped out?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

never happy posted:

It looks like I have a handful of misconceptions here haha.
I guess my priorities in a career are two things:
1) pays well
2) long voyages

I'm interested in having long stretches of vacation time to do some intense travelling. And the funds to go with. It'd be nice to work on some neato big ships when I am out at sea.

It sounds like I might be demanding a lot here. I guess I was under the impression marine engineers have pretty good options. Is that not the case for Canadians? What's going to be holding me back to meet my criteria?

A lot of the problem is that there really isn't much of a marine industry in Canada. Only Canadian flagged ships require Canadian tickets. If a ship is going to be travelling internationally all the time, it can be registered/flagged anywhere in the world (wherever it's cheapest), and can employ engineers/mates from anywhere in the world (whoever is willing to accept the least amount of money). Since there are so few Canadian flagged vessels, there are going to be a correspondingly low number of positions. The Canadian flagged vessels are going to be the ones staying mostly local, so they will tend to be smaller than the ships that are hauling vast amounts of cargo internationally. Keeping local will reduce the length of your voyages too.
One thing that BCIT does really well is self promotion. They love to give the impression that they are a big loving deal, and that with their education, the world is your oyster. Most students realise this is a big steaming pile of bullshit marketing somewhere around their first sea phase.

I've done alright, seen a lot of bars and beaches around the world, have pretty good job security, get a lot of time off, and make enough to be comfortable. I'll never get rich or wealthy off this, and I might not ever be able to afford to buy a house. But, I also realise I have had a phenomenal run of very fortunate circumstances line up for me. I can't in good conscience recommend that anyone follow the same path I took. I really don't want to see this turn into goon in a well - marine edition.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, I was on big vessels for the last two years - cruise line - and I left because I hated not having a normal life and the pay was dogshit (think 200usd/day). It was 4 months on 2 months off.
Your best bet might be tankers or something but I don't know much about their pay structure. Offshore is where the best money is normally 4-6 week swings with equal time off.
The Dutch ticket is widely regarded as one of the best in the world, along with the British, so believe me when I say that might be worth your time.
You might be able to do back to back swings but a lot of companies don't like doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Two Finger posted:

The Dutch ticket is widely regarded as one of the best in the world, along with the British, so believe me when I say that might be worth your time.
You might be able to do back to back swings but a lot of companies don't like doing that.

One thing I forgot to mention about the Dutch system, is that their cadet program is a combined maritime officer program. You get your 4th class engineer ticket and 3rd mate's ticket at the same time. The way it was explained to me was all their officers are dual ticketed, and then you specialise in either navigation or engineering after you graduate. That may be why it would appear that the engineering program was a master's program.

• Locked thread