Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

muscles like this? posted:

he can't "see" colors

Still one of my favorite moments in comics:

Context is that Matt Murdock has just recently been outed publicly AGAIN as Daredevil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Jerusalem posted:

Context is that Matt Murdock has just recently been outed publicly AGAIN as Daredevil.

Is this alt-continuity stuff or do people just, like, forget?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

sassassin posted:

None of this is in the show. He at least once references the colour of a shirt or something based on the feel of the dye from a mile away.

When did that happen? Because I don't remember it at all.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

razorrozar posted:

Not forget. Matt Murdock fought it in court and then the FBI agent who revealed the info was found dead and with a note saying he made it up. People believed that Matt was still Daredevil, but there was no proof. However, he recently had to reveal his identity in court due to a scheme by the Sons of Serpents.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It has made it difficult for him to practice law any more. Also Marvel has been fairly consistently phasing out secret identities for their heroes anyway. Out of the "big name" heroes I think Spider-Man is the only holdout.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

It has made it difficult for him to practice law any more. Also Marvel has been fairly consistently phasing out secret identities for their heroes anyway. Out of the "big name" heroes I think Spider-Man is the only holdout.

Thanks a lot devil and Dr. Strange.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Way back in Amazing Spiderman #533 True believers!

Excelsior!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Alternative pants posted:

Excelsior!

HE MADE A DEAL WITH THE DEVIL AND IT WENT AWAY.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Excelsior!

And then it got undone, along with his marriage, by Mephisto during One More Day.

Comics!

(Though JJJ's reaction to Parker unmasking almost made the entire Civil War story worth it)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

HE MADE A DEAL WITH THE DEVIL AND IT WENT AWAY.

This is why I hate Superhero comics.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Polaron posted:

It didn't happen, sassassin is just a lovely poster.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Excelsior!

That's Civil War #2, as I recall. I know this because I've definitely seen that panel but I don't read ASM.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Rurea posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man:_One_More_Day

Totally did happen, was poo poo.

Edit: Answering a guy asking about daredevil with info on a lovely spider-man storyline, I am the worst.

Fil5000 has a new favorite as of 16:16 on Apr 21, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I thought he was asking about Daredevil referencing the color of a shirt or something based on the feel of the dye from a mile away.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

sassassin posted:

Daredevil should be scripted like a radio play so blind people can fully enjoy it.

I kinda miss radio plays. Sometimes I leave the TV on when I'm tired and lay down and just listen to it, but you miss certain details.

Muscles like this? hit on it, but there was a big brouhaha because Netflix didn't initially support blind features for Daredevil, (and still doesn't for almost all their shows), but they've since responded and added accessibility support to Daredevil, which is pretty cool.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

I kinda miss radio plays. Sometimes I leave the TV on when I'm tired and lay down and just listen to it, but you miss certain details.

I agree, mostly because I don't get to watch TV anymore, just listen to it while I'm doing some work at home or doing chores.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

http://www.bigfinish.com/ do a lot of radio play type things. They're best known for their Doctor Who stuff (which is the bulk of what they do), but they do a ton of other stuff now.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Zaphod42 posted:

Radio plays are actually making a comeback thanks to the podcast. The Thrilling Adventure Hour and Welcome to Night Vale are the two big ones right now but I'm sure there's hundreds of smaller ones in every flavor imaginable.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ElGroucho posted:

I agree, mostly because I don't get to watch TV anymore, just listen to it while I'm doing some work at home or doing chores.

Yeah I definitely multi-task my TV watching most of the time.

It also makes it hard to watch foreign films or anime. Normally I don't even notice the subtitles, but if you're not watching the screen you're sure going to notice not understanding the dialogue!

Its interesting how some shows are more visual while others you can get by really well on just the audio.
Law & Order is pretty predictable that way, I can just throw it on in the background and follow the plot perfectly without ever looking at what's going on.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I definitely multi-task my TV watching most of the time.

It also makes it hard to watch foreign films or anime. Normally I don't even notice the subtitles, but if you're not watching the screen you're sure going to notice not understanding the dialogue!

Its interesting how some shows are more visual while others you can get by really well on just the audio.
Law & Order is pretty predictable that way, I can just throw it on in the background and follow the plot perfectly without ever looking at what's going on.

Is that just because most police procedurals follow the same plot every time anyway? Crime -> Clues -> Interview -> Red Herring -> Interview -> Damning Evidence -> Chase -> Arrest -> Quips?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Fil5000 posted:

Is that just because most police procedurals follow the same plot every time anyway? Crime -> Clues -> Interview -> Red Herring -> Interview -> Damning Evidence -> Chase -> Arrest -> Quips?

:doink:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Zaphod42 posted:

Muscles like this? hit on it, but there was a big brouhaha because Netflix didn't initially support blind features for Daredevil, (and still doesn't for almost all their shows), but they've since responded and added accessibility support to Daredevil, which is pretty cool.

http://www.graphicaudio.net has some okay ones too.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i tried watching Daredevil and for some reason there's this like 10 minute scene of the director strangling a cat that looked exactly like the cat my family had as a pet growing up, it totally broke the flow of the episode and didn't tie into anything else at all, it was weird

e: also daredevil was staring at him the whole time except when he looked into the camera and said "I can see this with my eyes"

Alaois has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Apr 21, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

sassassin posted:

I haven't read Daredevil comics for decades, or at all. If his being blind has no impact on his characterisation or the plot, why bother with it? It's dumb, bad storytelling, then and now.

A blind man who can still fight organised crime should be interesting.

Because otherwise he's Batman and Marvel already went to that well a half dozen times.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

QUACKTASTIC posted:

John Big Booty is Matt Murdock!?
:iiam:

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Aphrodite posted:

Because otherwise he's Batman and Marvel already went to that well a half dozen times.

Yeah and it produced Moon Knight, the best superhero :colbert: Now if only he could get an appropriately batshit crazy TV show...

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Polaron posted:

They touch on it from time to time but I agree with you. One of the (few) weaknesses of the series is that Matt is mostly written as a guy who's not blind. When he wakes up after Foggy finds him half beaten to death, he actually looks at teh bandages and poo poo on the end table. The show only really seems to write him as blind when it suits the plot and they could have done a better job there.

One thing they do show is that Matt can't use a smart phone or a tablet. He needs the buttons. Good show but there are some irrationally irritating elements in it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

One thing they do show is that Matt can't use a smart phone or a tablet. He needs the buttons. Good show but there are some irrationally irritating elements in it.

Agreed. There is stuff that is irritating, but then there's stuff that's great.

While complicated one-shots aren't new, especially in movies, that one-shot in Eps 2 when he's fighting the Russians was jaw dropping. It becomes even more impressive after you read all the technical challenges faced when choreographing it. The star and the stunt double had to swap places off frame off and on through that take while not disrupting the flow of the camera.

But by far my favorite was D'Onofrio's *owning* the character of Fisk. From the moment he's introduced in ep.3 as a guy who thinks he's actually doing good for the city, not preferring the lime-light because it may interfere with his grand-vision, and the fear of becoming his father to the moment he not only realizes that is he the monster he feared he might be, but embraces it.

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 21:54 on Apr 21, 2015

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

I kinda miss radio plays.

Others have pointed it out other examples but when I found out that the internet archive had Dragnet and Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar episodes I was pretty happy.

Sorta edit: Aw poo poo yeah they have The Shadow

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
All this talk of Daredevil is just making me pissed off about how ABC cancelled Blind Justice after one season. It really went out of its way to make the protagonist blind, while simultaneously being full of dog reaction shots and the silly murders that are a hallmark of Steven Bochco police procedurals.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

razorrozar posted:

He just started wearing this so people had no choice but to accept it v:shobon:v

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jerusalem posted:

He just started wearing this so people had no choice but to accept it v:shobon:v

To people reading this thread that don't know anything about Daredevil: No this is not a joke

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Rurea posted:

Rude.

It doesn't happen from a mile away, he's either touching some cloth or is close to it, and it's in the first couple of episodes. I'm not going to rewatch it to check.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

BiggerBoat posted:

They touch on it from time to time but I agree with you. One of the (few) weaknesses of the series is that Matt is mostly written as a guy who's not blind. When he wakes up after Foggy finds him half beaten to death, he actually looks at teh bandages and poo poo on the end table. The show only really seems to write him as blind when it suits the plot and they could have done a better job there.

That's actually one of the best episodes because it's all about Foggy being furious that his blind friend isn't actually blind. He feels cheated and betrayed, and all Matt's excuses are just nonsense.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

flosofl posted:

Agreed. There is stuff that is irritating, but then there's stuff that's great.

I loved the little moment when he brings Karen back to his apartment for the first time, and she has to ask where the light switch is, because Matt didn't turn the light on when he came in. Just a really cool extra thing.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
All the parkour in Daredevil would have felt more irrationally satisfying if, after every third super jump or ninja roll, he'd banged on a pipe or trashcan or whatever, just in passing.

Also if he didn't throw away his fold-up metal cane all the time, only to then pick up a different rounded piece of metal to use to whack bad guys. Show the blind super hero deliver a cane beatdown, this is basic poo poo!

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

OutsideAngel posted:

All the parkour in Daredevil would have felt more irrationally satisfying if, after every third super jump or ninja roll, he'd banged on a pipe or trashcan or whatever, just in passing.

Also if he didn't throw away his fold-up metal cane all the time, only to then pick up a different rounded piece of metal to use to whack bad guys. Show the blind super hero deliver a cane beatdown, this is basic poo poo!

I'd love it if, in AKA Jessica Jones, there are just random canes in the background of street scenes.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
If he uses a blind person cane, people will know he's blind.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I wish he wouldn't do so many big flippy kicks that leave him sprawled out on his face when just punching the guy normally would have been safer and more effective.

The character makes an effort to hurt himself during fights, which works as a metaphor but just looks silly in practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

If he uses a blind person cane, people will know he's blind.

That is what happened in the Daredevil movie.