Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Anyone doing Cisco NetAcad stuff is hosed on chrome. Java is required for practical portions of tests and online exams, since that's what their network emulator is written in.

As someone who uses chrome and is a part of Cisco NetAcad, gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
That's what you get for using a bad browser.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
All things considered Chrome is still the best of a fairly bad selection of options.

Firefox is fairly close but starts struggling with more than a few tabs, IE remains a joke (would be better to put effort into fixing the software before starting ridiculous marketing campaigns)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Potato Alley posted:

edit: and reading that page, it really sounds like Google was pretty upfront about this happening and created a nice relaxed schedule for it, and as usual everyone else was like yeah yeah we'll update it later no biggie right? Adobe I'm loving looking at you. (Client uses a site that has some hosed up links to PDFs that will only open in the Adobe plugin, so hopefully Adobe updates their poo poo before September or the client will be going back to Firefox or worse, IE. I mean, possibly Spartan at that point, but who knows if the Adobe plugins will even work with Spartan before 2018).
Anyone who is complaining about getting blindsided by Chrome blocking NPAPI plugins were very likely just as surprised by Java requiring signed applets, and can be safely ignored. If Java wants a Chrome plugin, they don't have to use NPAPI, and they obviously don't care enough to do so. And instead of yelling at Sun for failing to provide a native client plugin, idiots are getting mad at Google -- just like people were upset with Sun requiring signed applets instead of getting mad at unsigned Java applet vendors.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

dissss posted:

All things considered Chrome is still the best of a fairly bad selection of options.

Firefox is fairly close but starts struggling with more than a few tabs, IE remains a joke (would be better to put effort into fixing the software before starting ridiculous marketing campaigns)

My experience has long been the opposite of yours in regards to multiple tabs. Especially when dealing with sometimes rather old business PCs.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
My current work laptop is a five year old HP with a first gen low voltage i7 and one of those tiny 4200rpm hard disks. Chrome is slow, but Firefox is slower.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
E: never mind, contributes nothing

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

dissss posted:

Isn't Spartan a whole new browser, though?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

HardDisk posted:

Isn't Spartan a whole new browser, though?
Spartan is the new browser in Windows 10, but Windows 10 also comes with IE 11. Spartan comes with a new rendering engine, but also has a quirks mode-style fallback. There will be at least three browser rendering engines in Windows 10.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 19, 2015

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
This will rend well.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

go3 posted:

This will rend well.

lol

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

go3 posted:

This will rend well.

:golfclap:

That is all.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

go3 posted:

This will rend well.

Mark 12
15: Shall we load, or shall we not load? But he, knowing their hypocrisy and incompatibilities, said unto them, Why tempt ye me? bring me a page, that I may see it.
16: And they brought it. And he saith unto them, Whose is this user-agent and operating system? And they said unto him, Microsoft's.
17: And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to Microsoft the things that are Spartan, and that are IE 11, and also that are of IE versions legacy; for all others, thou shalt return 406. And they marvelled at him.

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 20, 2015

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Why do I even bother telling the NOC I'm going to be working on X Y and Z in half an hour if the moment I stop the first service on one of those servers, I get a phone call asking if that was me?

Did I tell you it was going to be me? Is it exactly the server I said, at exactly the time I said, with exactly the service I said? WAS IT?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Why do I even bother telling the NOC I'm going to be working on X Y and Z in half an hour if the moment I stop the first service on one of those servers, I get a phone call asking if that was me?

Did I tell you it was going to be me? Is it exactly the server I said, at exactly the time I said, with exactly the service I said? WAS IT?

Go tell them to gently caress themselves and be done with it.

poo poo needs to be done just gently caress it and do it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Can they not read and event log or are you not using your own admin account?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Sickening posted:

Can they not read and event log or are you not using your own admin account?

Sickening are you my coworker? Because he said the same exact thing Thursday.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Kazinsal posted:

"Power user" is a term that once meant something and now is used by anyone who knows how to type a program name into the start menu to find it to mean "look at me I'm a power user :smug:".

e: Oh hey, Chrome 42 disables NPAPI on Windows. Everyone get ready for tickets to come in about Java not working.

Is this also what's stopped my garmin communicator plugin working?

EDIT : It is! Thank you! (And to the person who posted how to make it work again).

Dudley fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 20, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

One day people will realise that 2 days isn't enough notice to order stuff in for new starters. If you frequently employ people who are starting the same week for whatever reason they maybe consider keeping some stock?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Sickening are you my coworker? Because he said the same exact thing Thursday.

Nope, because if that was the case I am sure I was have quit or murdered you long ago.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Just got the hardware in for a project and my head technician informed me we're missing the hardware to store the database on. I go back to the quote and... it's not on there. Now, I KNOW my boss gave me the BoM for this job because this was quoted before I knew enough about the system to do it myself, but I can't find an email about it and I know he's going to deny it up and down. It's 10AM, and I need a drink.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
Boss just was informed that she does not have the budget to replace the two team members that were hired off our team. Instead, she is welcome to hire ONE person in India. We are to shift our team structure to 1:3 American:Indian.

This happening after the technical training budgets mysteriously disappeared.. I need a drink. drat.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You need to :yotj:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Sickening posted:

Nope, because if that was the case I am sure I was have quit or murdered you long ago.

:iceburn:

This is how retarded my company is.

I got in really early today, right before six. I went to grab a milk from the little automated bodega downstairs and it was WARM.

I looked around, and all the refrigerators AND THE FREEZER WERE OFF. At 6am on the button, everything turned on.

THEY ARE TURNING OFF THE FRIDGE AND FREEZER AT NIGHT TO SAVE ENERGY.

:psyduck:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

nitrogen posted:

I got in really early today, right before six. I went to grab a milk from the little automated bodega downstairs and it was WARM.

I looked around, and all the refrigerators AND THE FREEZER WERE OFF. At 6am on the button, everything turned on.

Have you had any mysterious cases of food poisoning recently?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Doesn't it take more energy to re-cool everything than it would to just keep it at a constant temp?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

nitrogen posted:

Pretty sure that's a reportable health hazard if things are likely going bad overnight.

Get on that poo poo.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

Doesn't it take more energy to re-cool everything than it would to just keep it at a constant temp?

No, because the heat would have gotten in there regardless - it just gets removed by the freezer when it's on. But it's still loving stupid.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

meanieface posted:

Boss just was informed that she does not have the budget to replace the two team members that were hired off our team. Instead, she is welcome to hire ONE person in India. We are to shift our team structure to 1:3 American:Indian.

This happening after the technical training budgets mysteriously disappeared.. I need a drink. drat.

A company that outsources isn't a company you want to be in.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
"Every night I leave a glass of milk in the fridge. Every morning I have a delicious glass of cheese." - nitrogen

Also, lmfao to Sickening's burn above.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Sickening posted:

This is why I'm working to :toot: ASAP.

Watching the India Shitshow as we slowly all get outsourced is amusing but mostly sad.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sickening posted:

I won't unilaterally say this is the case, though I don't understand industry's obsession with India. I've been a vocal proponent in this forum of sourcing resources from Latin America -- we have a handful of developers from Argentina and Uruguay and they're all fantastic. In addition to being great developers, they're in similar timezones so they make it to all our meetings, and they all have a fairly similar cultural context so they really don't even need any particular oversight with respect to design decisions, UI, etc. when following a specification or user story from the product team. At past jobs, I've had mixed experiences with engineers based in India. I've worked with a few that were really great, and a number that follow the stereotype of being minimally skilled and having absolutely no idea how American businesses work. Israel is a really good choice when you need to follow the sun.

A lot of decision-makers seem clueless about the fact that you can outsource to places other than India, or that there's actually a sliding scale between cost and delivered quality. A 3:1 ratio on strategically-important knowledge work seems really silly, though.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 20, 2015

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Vulture Culture posted:

...though I don't understand industry's obsession with India...cost

I'm fairly certain you just solved the riddle. :v:

I :yotj:'d out of a place that was slowly outsourcing all the work to India like a month and a half ago and it was easily the best career move I've ever made. Management kept describing us as a "lean" company but it was more anorexic than lean by the time I bailed, it was a handful of us in a miserable office trying to put out endless fires and fixing all the poo poo work that came from our outsourcing company, with managers trying to gently caress each other over to become king of poo poo mountain.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Mildly irritated today, mostly just poo poo piling up that isn't working right and attempts at fixing aren't working and it's just piling on. Well, just found out our manager is moving our team, we're t3 support/sys admins whatever you want to call us, over to where the helpdesk is in a separate building. So, now I get to spend my days in a VERY noisy call center, attempting to get work done, and likely will be barraged with questions from people that have asked these questions a million times already, except now they can tap me on the shoulder and bother me. Perfect poo poo sandwich to go with the poo poo day I'm having already. Already told my other team members I will most likely be wearing headphones the whole time I'm at work from now on.

Probably need a drink tonight, maybe I'll just get some cheap vodka and get black out drunk and pretend today never happened.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 20, 2015

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

jammyozzy posted:

I'm fairly certain you just solved the riddle. :v:

I :yotj:'d out of a place that was slowly outsourcing all the work to India like a month and a half ago and it was easily the best career move I've ever made. Management kept describing us as a "lean" company but it was more anorexic than lean by the time I bailed, it was a handful of us in a miserable office trying to put out endless fires and fixing all the poo poo work that came from our outsourcing company, with managers trying to gently caress each other over to become king of poo poo mountain.

India is the perfect solution for an executive culture obsessed with boosting quarterly stock reports and jumping ship before the long-term damage becomes obvious.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Nothing makes me angrier than inconsistency from management.

A few weeks ago, I was told explicitly not to do a thing. That we have another team whose responsibility it is to handle that task, and that doing it for them would bruise some egos that are better left unbruised. So I kicked it off to them, got confirmation they were working on it, offered assistance if they needed it...and that was that.

So when the deadline hits (today), and they're not done, go bitch at the people who dropped the ball, because it sure isn't me. I didn't do it because you told me not to do it. I'll be damned if I take a chewing out for something I was ordered to do. Or not do, in this case.

This doesn't happen often, thankfully, but every time it does, I send out a handful of resumes. I usually get a few bites, although I've yet to get an offer attractive enough to jump ship. Maybe I will this time.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Close to two months ago, we had two servers go out at the school district I work for. The backup server had a power supply go and take down its primary hard drive. That was fixed in two days. The other server, our Sophos/WDS/Network Management/backup file server, was out for a month with a fried motherboard and power supply. Boss decides to go with a whole new server, since the dead one was getting replaced next year anyway.

That didn't make me angry, because sometimes poo poo just happens. I was a little confused why we didn't have a chat with APC about why their UPS devices allowed a big enough surge through to take out two servers, but hey, that's just money.

What is currently frustrating me is "working on it" syndrome. My school district contracts with a MSP for the server work. My department is my boss, my coworker who I went to school with, and me, with me being part-time. We manage the infrastructure of six schools and five other buildings, which generally keeps us pretty busy.

We've had the backup server in for over a month now. The backup datastore is on a NAS and has been working fine the whole time. The backups have yet to be scheduled, and the datastore has yet to be added to BackupExec. But I shouldn't even be looking at that, becuase "Bob's working on it! He knows there's a problem." It's been like that for over a month.
The secondary server was received three weeks after it went down, which is actually pretty good for our district. There was no fight over the PO, the boss yelled at our rep enough to get a rush on the whole deal, and things were looking up! Two weeks after it came in, we have a spiffy new Server 2012 box up, running all our old software! Except for WDS. And the network management software was unregistered. And Sophos has not been set up at all.
I was told not to worry about it, because Bob knows all about these problems and is working on it. I did install and configure WDS, because I set it up last year anyway and gently caress not having an imaging server with 800+ computers being touched by students. I started to work on Sophos, and my boss explicitly told me "it's not your job, go do something else". Our last definitions update was in 2013.

This really wouldn't be so bad, except last year we had a serious Cryptolocker infection requiring restoring from backup. It probably wouldn't have been a problem if we had been able to update our antivirus, but no. Bob's been working on the updating problem for over a loving year now. It's not my job, it's why we pay the MSP, and it's pretty much just a colossal waste of time and money.

I think the worst part is that I love working here. I went through this school district, I grew up in this town, and I love being able to give back to the community. At this point, though, it's enough of a shitshow I don't know if I'd be happy accepting the full-time job I've been promised for three years. It's probably time to finish my degree (Six more months!) and just :yotj: out of there.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

India is the perfect solution for an executive culture obsessed with boosting quarterly stock reports and jumping ship before the long-term damage becomes obvious.

Want to print this and hang it on my wall.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Manslaughter posted:

Want to print this and hang it on my wall.

Gonna learn needlepoint so I can make it all artistic and flowery and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Hahah, so, yeah, happened to one of the other guys, but I think we're going for blood.
We hired a new sales rep a few months ago. He's an idiot, constantly does stupid things, etc. Its always seemed like general "dumbass" sales guy stuff. Until something that popped up yesterday.
As a small backstory, we're a SaaS CRM provider that also resells VoIP lines that integrate with our product. When clients order lines (which has to be done through sales), sales creates a ticket for us, we make the lines, send the customer the info, etc.
So a new client sends a CSV file of what area codes he wants phone numbers for to his rep - 30 lines, no biggie. Sales rep butchers a copy/paste job instead of just forwarding it to us, loses 3/4 of the area codes, etc. One of the other guys gets the ticket, looks at it, and gets the sales guy to confirm total number and which area codes. The sales rep then sends a spreadsheet he created for us to use - with specific instructions to make sure "every area code in the spreadsheet is acquired". Okay, 94 phone numbers now. We verify, he says "yep, everything in the file".

We create the lines. Send the info to the client. Here's fuckup #1 - the client doesn't notice anything amiss. Here's BIG fuckup #2 - clients bill comes in. Client flips out, calls us - we transfer to accounting, as we can't do squat about it. Accounting asks the sales rep, who says "I only asked for 30 lines, support obviously hosed up." Yep. Throws us under the bus. So we just went to the president and CEO with screenshots, email logs, tickets, etc. proving he's a goddamn liar. Nothing will happen, but, fuckit, no more favors for this dickhole.