Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

zoux posted:

Remember when he beat up a hallway full of Russian toughs.

I would just like to reiterate that this scene was god damned amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

Modus Operandi posted:

I understand the direction they were going with Kingpin but I think the acting choices were odd. Kingpin does seem too aspergers like. It's doubtful that someone with that little social skills could make it in the crime world. It does not really explain how he was able to manipulate his way to the top.

The whole point was that he wasn't at the top, he lived in fear of fortune cookie mystic speaking woman and she was the true kingpin. The whole season is just about Fisk trying to become more than just a small cog by taking over the roles of his partner's and failing spectacularly at it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So Daredevil seems to be reaching cultural mass out in the real world. Hanging out in my local shady bar last Saturday, and every random dude was talking about it, even guys I'm pretty sure don't have regular access to a TV, computer, or electricity.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shageletic posted:

So Daredevil seems to be reaching cultural mass out in the real world. Hanging out in my local shady bar last Saturday, and every random dude was talking about it, even guys I'm pretty sure don't have regular access to a TV, computer, or electricity.

I was curious about that myself. Cultural cachet is huge for sub services, HBO loves it when one of their shows breaks into the Zeitgeist and SNL and Sesame Street start doing parodies of it. HoC and OtiNB have had their share of that, but I haven't seen much of DD out there, though it is early yet. I know it's doing well in internet nerd circles, and I hope that it will resonate with a mainstream audience.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Modus Operandi posted:

As far as Daredevil's suit goes I assume this is just the beta version and as the series progresses he'll find ways to modify it or change it more and more until it's more streamlined. That makes sense since they are going all out by making the series very origin based.

I understand the direction they were going with Kingpin but I think the acting choices were odd. Kingpin does seem too aspergers like. It's doubtful that someone with that little social skills could make it in the crime world. It does not really explain how he was able to manipulate his way to the top.

Capone was a syphillitic halfwit.

^^^ It's only been a week. Wait for it to show up on SNL or something in a few days or something. How long did Orange is the New Black take to hit?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Capone was a syphillitic halfwit.

^^^ It's only been a week. Wait for it to show up on SNL or something in a few days or something. How long did Orange is the New Black take to hit?

Well, to my mind, both it and HoC were pushed harder by Netflix marketing and the entertainment media machine. OitNB due to its subject matter and minority cast generated a lot of thinkpieces about the political hot button issues it was handling (that and being good of course). HoC was Netflix's first entree into the prestige drama arena and starred two A listers, so it got a lot of buzz due to that.

Netflix's marketing strategy is weird to me, I don't know who they reach out to. Take Bloodline for example: it's a show stacked top to bottom with serious talent, and they spent eight months shooting it on location. But most people had no idea it was coming out. They were a bit better than that with DD. Though, who am I to question the marketing strategy of an unbelievably successful company like Netlfix, obviously.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I think its obvious that Daredevil would have had a way bigger splash if they had done it weekly. But maybe they still got a ton of eyeballs on it too this way, and its not like they give a poo poo about ads. Maybe its doing exactly what they want.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Skeezy posted:

I kinda wanted a flashback of when Fisk met Wesley.

Also it's been mentioned probably but the dude playing Wesley kinda looks like James Spader.
He looked like James Urbaniak some maybe he was related to the guy in Agent Carter who was played by James Urbaniak :haw:

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Wait are we talking Stargate James Spader or Blacklist James Spader? He's had many years to refine himself into the Spaderman that gives amazing monologues in The Blacklist.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Wait are we talking Stargate James Spader or Blacklist James Spader? He's had many years to refine himself into the Spaderman that gives amazing monologues in The Blacklist.

Boston Legal

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Glad I'm not the only one who thought of this:

I'm guessing Gao is some sort of alien, is she in the comics at all?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Shageletic posted:

I think its obvious that Daredevil would have had a way bigger splash if they had done it weekly. But maybe they still got a ton of eyeballs on it too this way, and its not like they give a poo poo about ads. Maybe its doing exactly what they want.

I can totally imagine that people might sign up for netflix and then completely forget to cancel the service, where if it was a weekly thing once it was done that would remind them "oh yeah now i can cancel netflix!"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kazy posted:

I'm guessing Gao is some sort of alien, is she in the comics at all?

Current guess is Crane Mother from the Iron Fist stories. Not exactly alien, not exactly human. Iron Fist is that kind of comic book storyline, Mortal Kombat meets Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

I disagree. One of the things that struck me about DD is that it's not super episodic, and it's kind of a slow burn for developing/revealing the characters. For me things dont start to really pick up until Fisk is introduced, which isn't until the end of Episode 3. If the whole show hadn't been available to watch and I had to remember every week "oh yeah watch Daredevil, it might be good" I might not have stuck with it. Being able to watch it in in 3-5 sittings meant the development of characters like Wesley worked for me, where there weren't a lot of big memorable moments that would have stuck with me in the weeks between episodes.

I think the reason Netflix's distribution method is going to work out so well is that it avoids the problem of the regular tv schedule. A big problem I have is that all my shows are on the same schedule. I have lots to watch, but I'm alternated shows because even though (hypothetical example)I want to the next episode of Hannibal RIGHT NOW, I have to wait a week, so I watch The Flash instead. This isn't too bad, except when all the shows end at once, and then I have to wait for the next season of EVERYTHING. Netflix gives you you show all at once, so you can watch more of it right away to feed your fix. It doesn't release all its shows at once, but staggered. So while it's true that you watch a season in a day or a week and then have to wait a whole year, you do the same thing you did before: watch another show while you wait. And this other show has all the episodes out so you can watch at your own pace. You're still switching between shows, but you get to experience each show as a continuous experience. You don't have to be thinking about the characters of all the shows you watch at the same time.

It also gives the shows more chance to be cinematic. I bet a lot of people often watch more than one episode at a time. This means that they have more freedom to make the show serialized. There's no risk of losing viewers who think they are too far behind, or who don't want to have to wait to see what happens. And you can still end every episode with a hook to make you come back for more, but it's not annoying any more. Season finales are a lot more brutal of a cliffhanger though.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

After finally finishing the series, I think my favourite thing about it is the fact that Fisk always thanks the nameless henchman for doing things for him. He seems like he'd be a good boss, aside from the occasional headbutt.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

After finally finishing the series, I think my favourite thing about it is the fact that Fisk always thanks the nameless henchman for doing things for him. He seems like he'd be a good boss, aside from the occasional headbutt.

I liked that too. Now that you mention it, I wonder if that's something he'll stop doing now that he has a more realistic view of himself.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Steve Yun posted:

In fact taking punishment is where he gets his superpowers. Daredevil is a repressed BDSM lover! Blindfolds, sticks, cuts, candles, weird getups, he's quite a kink!

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Modus Operandi posted:

As far as Daredevil's suit goes I assume this is just the beta version and as the series progresses he'll find ways to modify it or change it more and more until it's more streamlined. That makes sense since they are going all out by making the series very origin based.

I'm sure Gao put him at the top - we know he spent time abroad in Asia and she's really the only boss he gives his full courtesy. We'll probably get more of his background during Power Man / Iron Fist when that starts up.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

zoux posted:

I was curious about that myself. Cultural cachet is huge for sub services, HBO loves it when one of their shows breaks into the Zeitgeist and SNL and Sesame Street start doing parodies of it. HoC and OtiNB have had their share of that, but I haven't seen much of DD out there, though it is early yet. I know it's doing well in internet nerd circles, and I hope that it will resonate with a mainstream audience.

It's starting to gain ground with my friends and work buddies (who are not, on the whole, giant nerds like us) so I think it's on the rise. With how good the show is, I think it'll get to that zeitgeist point eventually. Perhaps Age of Ultron will give it a profile boost as well.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don't know much about running crime empires, but smashing a guy to bits and cutting off his head with a car door, because he was rude to you, seems like great qualifications.
I don't think anyone cares whether he is a bit socially awkward. Also Gao was the only one in the group that he had any sort of respect for, he clearly knows what he is doing.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Am I the only one who wouldn't change much about the suit at all? I think it needs to allow more freedom of movement -- it's really obvious, from even a few short moments of it in action, just how much more restrictive it is than his black ensemble -- but conceptually I really like it.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Maybe Madame Gao is The Mandarin!!!! I don't know much about comics.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Mandarin is crap at speaking Mandarin?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Madame Gao is Wonder Woman. You can tell by the invisible jet in her exit scene.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I thought the conversation between Urich and Silvermane explicitly stated that Fisk became a power player in New York's crime scene by basically wiping out the Italian mob, who were the biggest players up until that point. He basically brutalized his way to the top, probably as a consequence of exterminating the people he saw as being responsible for his father's failure.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Phylodox posted:

I thought the conversation between Urich and Silvermane explicitly stated that Fisk became a power player in New York's crime scene by basically wiping out the Italian mob, who were the biggest players up until that point. He basically brutalized his way to the top, probably as a consequence of exterminating the people he saw as being responsible for his father's failure.

Yes, I think a natural thing to do in season 2 would be to actually see Rigoletto.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Snak posted:

I disagree. One of the things that struck me about DD is that it's not super episodic, and it's kind of a slow burn for developing/revealing the characters. For me things dont start to really pick up until Fisk is introduced, which isn't until the end of Episode 3. If the whole show hadn't been available to watch and I had to remember every week "oh yeah watch Daredevil, it might be good" I might not have stuck with it. Being able to watch it in in 3-5 sittings meant the development of characters like Wesley worked for me, where there weren't a lot of big memorable moments that would have stuck with me in the weeks between episodes.

I think the reason Netflix's distribution method is going to work out so well is that it avoids the problem of the regular tv schedule. A big problem I have is that all my shows are on the same schedule. I have lots to watch, but I'm alternated shows because even though (hypothetical example)I want to the next episode of Hannibal RIGHT NOW, I have to wait a week, so I watch The Flash instead. This isn't too bad, except when all the shows end at once, and then I have to wait for the next season of EVERYTHING. Netflix gives you you show all at once, so you can watch more of it right away to feed your fix. It doesn't release all its shows at once, but staggered. So while it's true that you watch a season in a day or a week and then have to wait a whole year, you do the same thing you did before: watch another show while you wait. And this other show has all the episodes out so you can watch at your own pace. You're still switching between shows, but you get to experience each show as a continuous experience. You don't have to be thinking about the characters of all the shows you watch at the same time.

It also gives the shows more chance to be cinematic. I bet a lot of people often watch more than one episode at a time. This means that they have more freedom to make the show serialized. There's no risk of losing viewers who think they are too far behind, or who don't want to have to wait to see what happens. And you can still end every episode with a hook to make you come back for more, but it's not annoying any more. Season finales are a lot more brutal of a cliffhanger though.

It's all hypotheticals, so no way to find out who's right here. But I think the slow pace (and remember every episode did have a climax, the first ep with the fight in the rain, the second with the balls out insanity) would have actually been an asset, as in proclaiming this is a show worth letting settling in and thinking about. And it would have given the media outlets time to write about their heads being whipped back on what should be another stupid comic book show somehow being this great and substantive. Maybe get a little True Detective buzz going on, get some speculation bandied about. Then wham! Wilson Fisk in the flesh.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 21, 2015

surc
Aug 17, 2004

So, I thought this show was awesome, but seriously?

"Oh cool, Ben Urich, and he's black in the show. The marvel universe has always been pretty white, and Ben has parts in all sorts of stories, so this is a great way to try and fix that!"
*Ben Urich killed off before Daredevil is even Daredevil*
:doh:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Well, I mean, there's War Machine and Falcon, still, and Black Panther coming up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

surc posted:

"Oh cool, Ben Urich, and he's black in the show. The marvel universe has always been pretty white, and Ben has parts in all sorts of stories, so this is a great way to try and fix that!"

Luke Cage bro.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

surc posted:

He had a full character arc and the story kind of demanded it. Not killing him off just because he's black would be dumb.

Also there are other black characters in Marvel movies and shows, including one upcoming character getting their own movie and another getting their own show.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

zoux posted:

Luke Cage bro.

The Sharmat posted:

He had a full character arc and the story kind of demanded it. Not killing him off just because he's black would be dumb.

Also there are other black characters in Marvel movies and shows, including one upcoming character getting their own movie and another getting their own show.

Dang you guys got defensive in the same "doesn't really affect what I'm saying at all" way real quick. There being an upcoming show and movie where the hero is black does not really have any impact on how :rolleyes: it is that in this show they changed an important and ongoing character from the comics to be black, then made him the one of the main good guys to be killed off before the completion of the first season, so that the 3 remaining (white) characters could suddenly realize just how urgent their mission really was and take steps.

I also was not in any way saying they should have kept him alive because he's black, I have no idea where you got that one from. I'm saying that since in the comics he's white and does not die but instead goes on to be an important part of a bunch of good stories and important plot stuff for Daredevil and also for Alias/Jessica Jones, that making the change to have him be black, then changing it further from the comics so he dies is worth a :doh: or a :rolleyes: or an :ughh: because of how much american media does the whole "black character is first to die/single token black character is killed off" thing.

surc fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 21, 2015

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
That's not fair, Mrs. Cardenas was the first token character to die.

You racist.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
I've apparently been confusing Robbie Robertson and Ben Ulrich for years.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

surc posted:

I also was not in any way saying they should have kept him alive because he's black, I have no idea where you got that one from.

Nah you're saying they shouldn't have made him black and then killed him, which is not that different.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Steven DeKnight mentioned that Marvel requested to have Ben killed in the show before the part was even cast. They cast Vondie knowing ahead of time he was going to die and they could get him for one season.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ben's arc was solid and had to end in death. Better than getting pushed in front of a train next season, anyways. His wife explained it at the end and even got a "happy" send off because of his policy taking care of her from then on.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Steven DeKnight mentioned that Marvel requested to have Ben killed in the show before the part was even cast. They cast Vondie knowing ahead of time he was going to die and they could get him for one season.

That's odd, I wonder what's behind that. I was kind of hoping that we'd see Ulrich across all five series as he has ties to street level stories but nope!

Also Chris Samnee, who draws the DD comic with writer Mark Waid, tried his hand at Netflix DD.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 21, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

That's odd, I wonder what's behind that. I was kind of hoping that we'd see Ulrich across all five series as he has ties to street level stories but nope!

I assume since you think that he is safe and has plot armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I initially thought Urich was gonna be a way to tie the TV parts of the universe to the movie parts, because he was also in Spiderman a lot. But the way they did it fit the needs of this series more.

Also was I the only one that kept looking for Oscorp logos hidden in various places while watching this show?