Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

drat Bananas posted:

http://distractify.com/beth-buczynski/smart-things-to-do-at-30/?ts_pid=2 (lovely clickbait listicle, sorry)
"Buy a house, it'll be nearly paid for by the time you're 50"

It's very simple! Regardless of your market/situation, just buy it, and everything will work itself out! :v:

Wow, that whole page just makes me want to puke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

reddit posted:

I feel sick to my stomach from crushing student loan debt through marriage totaling $158,000. I don't know what to do.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/33bm3l/i_feel_sick_to_my_stomach_from_crushing_student/?sort=confidence

Long story short:

I got married about six months ago to the love of my life. I was aware of her financial situation with student loans before we got married. I couldn't not marry someone who I am in love with because of money. I would never forgive myself. We are both in our mid twenties...I've browsed this site a few times but haven't seen anyone with a higher student loan balance than what she - well, WE do now. I feel my situation is bleak. I don't know if I'll get any sound advice here or not. Either way, writing this out helps my sanity and hopefully I can come away feeling some kind of encouragement.

So here is the situation:

12 Federal Student loans - all Stafford Sub.

Group 1 Total - $23,572 @ 6.8% Int. Group 2 Total - $3,196 @ 5.6% Int. Group 3 Total - $32,741 @ 6.8% Int. Total ~ $59,500

8 Private Student loans Sallie Mae

Group 1 Total - $12,067 @ 4.75% Int. Group 2 Total - $77,863 @ 1.75% Int. Group 3 Total - $8,622 @ 1.62% Int. Total ~ $98,500

My annual salary is 50K and hers is client based, ranging from 30K-40K. We have no other debt, and we rent a very small apartment. I do not wish to put my entire budget on here, but we are able to pay $1200 a month on the Federal student loans. Her parents are helping us at the moment by paying just the interest payments every month on the private Sallie Mae loans. But they say that can not do that much longer.

Does anyone have any idea on what I can do? I thought about bankruptcy but it seems next to impossible to discharge student loans. I do not understand loan consolidation and am not sure if it will help the situation. Other ideas included investing in a house that we could sell later for profit and use that money to pay down the loans. What about deferring some of the Subsidized loans so interest does not accrue?

Part of the reason I am writing this is because I feel trapped. While grateful for my job, I cannot stand it and know I cant do it long term. My dream job that I want to apply for would require us to relocate to a remote place and I would take a pay cut to about 38K and she would lose her job, obviously. Her making that money in a remote location, because its client based, is not possible.

I do not want to be a slave to debt for the rest of my life. Please help.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
His dream job pays $12,000 per year.

What the hell?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

quote:

Other ideas included investing in a house that we could sell later for profit and use that money to pay down the loans.

There's no :yikes: big enough, and I've seen some pretty big :yikes:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

His dream job pays $12,000 per year.

What the hell?

No, it's a reduction of 12k down to 38k.

My true dream job pays many millions of dollars for whatever it is I dream of doing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

SpelledBackwards posted:

No, it's a reduction of 12k down to 38k.

Man, that's not great but it's significantly better than my first misinterpretation.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
The story gets repeated pretty often, but do you think at some point people will stop getting stupidly overpriced educations for jobs that have crap pay?

I mean I had some idea of what my eventual real world oh was going to be. Doesn't take a genius to compare income vs crushing debt. Is the mentality that some people don't want to consider that and treat college as a higher mission no matter the cost?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

dietcokefiend posted:

The story gets repeated pretty often, but do you think at some point people will stop getting stupidly overpriced educations for jobs that have crap pay?

I mean I had some idea of what my eventual real world oh was going to be. Doesn't take a genius to compare income vs crushing debt. Is the mentality that some people don't want to consider that and treat college as a higher mission no matter the cost?
Most people can't even do their own laundry or have a bank account when they apply to college.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

dietcokefiend posted:

No, indentured servitude is a solid business model.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Kids are being sold the "do whatever you want and everything will work out" dream at probably the most important crossroads of their life to date. It was tenable when college cost under $1000 a semester, but at $20,000 a year or more, there should be more thought involved. There's a lot of blame to go around, from myopic students to greedy banks, but at the end of the day it's just the old capitalist story of some people chasing dreams and others chasing money.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
How much do you want to bet that his dream job has something to do with videogames?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Breetai posted:

How much do you want to bet that his dream job has something to do with videogames?

If he has to move to a remote place, I'm willing to bet the dream job is tree hugging related. Had an ex like that, and Starting pay as a Park Ranger was in the low-mid 30k range when she was applying for jobs.

Comma Chameleon
Apr 30, 2008

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/339qp5/i_28m_just_absolutely_broke_my_wifes_heart_by/

"Hey guys we have $1000 in savings, should we empty our retirement accounts to pay 27k for a down payment on a home that needs 50k in rennovations just to be livable?"

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

Not a Children posted:

Kids are being sold the "do whatever you want and everything will work out" dream at probably the most important crossroads of their life to date. It was tenable when college cost under $1000 a semester, but at $20,000 a year or more, there should be more thought involved. There's a lot of blame to go around, from myopic students to greedy banks, but at the end of the day it's just the old capitalist story of some people chasing dreams and others chasing money.

Oh let's not just blame the capitalists. Well-intended politicians did plenty to cause this mess by not understanding the basic economics of what happens when you make an unlimited pool of money available to pay for something via federal guarantees and regulations.

Colleges can hardy be blamed for jacking up tuition to get their slice of that juicy pie, nor can banks for doing what banks exist to do. And why offer a quality education relevant to tomorrow's needed skills when you can lure chumps in to take courses that cost almost nothing to teach (women's studies, Klingon, cinema) and charge anything you want?

The moral: Always be wary when politicians try to make something affordable for everyone. The laws of economics can only be avoided for a short time before, like gravity, they bring everything crashing back down.

See also: housing bubble.

Coming soon: healthcare!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Not a Children posted:

Kids are being sold the "do whatever you want and everything will work out" dream at probably the most important crossroads of their life to date.

My wife bought into this hard. I hadn't really experienced someone with really successful boomer parents before, she just thought everything would fall into place and she would have the same life her parents had.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

High Lord Elbow posted:

Oh let's not just blame the capitalists. Well-intended politicians did plenty to cause this mess by not understanding the basic economics of what happens when you make an unlimited pool of money available to pay for something via federal guarantees and regulations.

Colleges can hardy be blamed for jacking up tuition to get their slice of that juicy pie, nor can banks for doing what banks exist to do. And why offer a quality education relevant to tomorrow's needed skills when you can lure chumps in to take courses that cost almost nothing to teach (women's studies, Klingon, cinema) and charge anything you want?

The moral: Always be wary when politicians try to make something affordable for everyone. The laws of economics can only be avoided for a short time before, like gravity, they bring everything crashing back down.

Most of the real debt catastrophes seem to come from indecisive people who bounce between several majors instead of just picking something and getting out with a degree on time.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

High Lord Elbow posted:

But why does it cost so much more. Increased enrollment/demand shouldn't have increased prices unless the cost to enroll every additional student outweighed the additional tuition paid. More students should make college cheaper, not more expensive. All I can figure is cheap student loan money meant schools didn't have to become more efficient or try to compete on cost, instead competing on who had the biggest dining halls and most impressive faculties. Similar to airlines prior to deregulation.

I was lucky to go to a state school where I could afford tuition on a minimum wage job. gently caress, they didn't even take credit cards - you had to write a check for your credits. Still paying back loans on my Masters though, so I can't be too smug.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

Krispy Kareem posted:

But why does it cost so much more. Increased enrollment/demand shouldn't have increased prices unless the cost to enroll every additional student outweighed the additional tuition paid. More students should make college cheaper, not more expensive. All I can figure is cheap student loan money meant schools didn't have to become more efficient or try to compete on cost, instead competing on who had the biggest dining halls and most impressive faculties. Similar to airlines prior to deregulation.

You've answered your question.

Schools can keep raising tuition rates because there is no incentive not to with government guaranteed student loans.

nickutz fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 21, 2015

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

nickutz posted:

You've answered your question.

Schools can keep raising tuition rates because there is no incentive not to with government guaranteed student loans.

unintended_consequences.txt

The funny part is going to be when that money runs out since it's been decades since many of these universities have had to cut budgets. Oh, the wails we will hear. Similar to the federal government trying to cut budgets by 5% during the sequester.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

High Lord Elbow posted:

:rolleyes: Being able to afford to go to the doctor and/or not end up homeless due to getting cancer is not on the level with owning a McMansion or going to some university out of state with an outrageously expensive campus.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Nail Rat posted:

:rolleyes: Being able to afford to go to the doctor and/or not end up homeless due to getting cancer is not on the level with owning a McMansion or going to some university out of state with an outrageously expensive campus.

He might have meant that now that everyone has a mandate to buy health insurance, politicians will try to make buying ACA mandate worthy insurance cheaper.

This relates to the other two because everyone needs a place to live so they don't die from exposure, and a college education so they can work at Starbucks.

Maybe. :ohdear:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Krispy Kareem posted:

The funny part is going to be when that money runs out since it's been decades since many of these universities have had to cut budgets. Oh, the wails we will hear.
:qq: You mean we can't keep building newer, fancier buildings for student athletes? :qq:

Nail Rat posted:

To put it less politically, there's a key difference between the education/housing bubbles and healthcare. The housing bubble and ever-inflating cost of college were/are being driven by easily-available loans. Healthcare doesn't really involve loans(there is carecredit, but I'd argue that's a symptom of our current system more than anything. It's also a minor factor compared to the insurance catastrofuck.). It's also a service that everyone's going to have to use throughout their lives(or else have much shorter lives), whereas nobody has to go to college or buy their own home.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 21, 2015

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
To me, school/homes are something that should be affordable but have spiralled out of control because people see them an investment. "Oh I'm going to put $X into school/house and get $Y when I'm done!"

Health care doesn't really work that way, unless you're putting money into experiments that might turn you into some sort of super athlete. But that's more science than health care, really.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Yeah that is a completely ridiculous comparison. Healthcare should be a basic human right.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

triplexpac posted:

Health care doesn't really work that way, unless you're putting money into experiments that might turn you into some sort of super athlete. But that's more science than health care, really.

Does this exist? I've got 2 kids and I'm willing to do whatever.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Haifisch posted:

:qq: You mean we can't keep building newer, fancier buildings for student athletes? :qq:

To put it less politically, there's a key difference between the education/housing bubbles and healthcare. The housing bubble and ever-inflating cost of college were/are being driven by easily-available loans. Healthcare doesn't really involve loans(there is carecredit, but I'd argue that's a symptom of our current system more than anything. It's also a minor factor compared to the insurance catastrofuck.). It's also a service that everyone's going to have to use throughout their lives(or else have much shorter lives), whereas nobody has to go to college or buy their own home.

Healthcare spending is similar to college though in that neither industry had any real incentive to control costs. For the last 20 years Big Pharm kept marketing drugs you probably didn't need and doctors ordered too many tests and hospitals charged too much because the insured consumer didn't see or feel the cost. Employers ate a lot of those expenses and in the last decade slowed wage increased in part because of increased healthcare costs. It was only in the last 5 or so years that all those increases really started being felt by insured consumers.

So for education it was cheap money and for healthcare it was cheap drugs and services (which just seemed cheap as long as your insurance was paying for everything).

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I have a friend who's convinced that he can take out a ton of student loan debt to get through college, then flee to Europe (where he has someone there (in Sweden I think? not sure) ready to marry him and therefore give him an easy path to citizenship I guess?) and "they can't do anything or even find you so it just goes away."

Now this sounds incredibly dumb to me, but pointing out that that's probably not true just got a anecdote about some guy who did it that they found on reddit or something. Any specifics as to why this is a very bad loving idea? Thanks :)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I took an undergrad business degree. The dean told us that, surprise, there are only two colleges at that university that run at a surplus. Only the business school and the law school take in more from donations/grants/tuition than they spend.
Hitting it big as a dance/journalism/anthropology major doesn't mean that you'll be able to afford an 8 figure endowment towards your alma mater.

College sports is bad with money.
Mens basketball and football are the "profit" sports that subsidize all the other money-losers, but even then, ~20ish of the US universities turn a profit on athletics. The rest are subsidized through student fees. So next time you're rooting for your favorite college team, remember that the entire student body is taking out student loans so we all can enjoy the game. The coaches are earning millions, the athletes aren't being paid, and their professors might be helping them cheat their way through the degree (looking at you, UNC and probably a bunch of others).
At least the track team or swim team people on athletic scholarships might be getting a good education

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

Krispy Kareem posted:

The funny part is going to be when that money runs out since it's been decades since many of these universities have had to cut budgets. Oh, the wails we will hear. Similar to the federal government trying to cut budgets by 5% during the sequester.

That's not really true at all; even if tuition revenues are growing, states have been slashing funds allocated to public schools for quite a while (which, in turn, places even more upward pressure on tuition rates).

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I have a friend who's convinced that he can take out a ton of student loan debt to get through college, then flee to Europe (where he has someone there (in Sweden I think? not sure) ready to marry him and therefore give him an easy path to citizenship I guess?) and "they can't do anything or even find you so it just goes away."

Now this sounds incredibly dumb to me, but pointing out that that's probably not true just got a anecdote about some guy who did it that they found on reddit or something. Any specifics as to why this is a very bad loving idea? Thanks :)
Even if his plan magically works and they somehow don't find him(despite the paper trail left by him becoming a Swedish citizen and losing his American citizenship), I hope there's no reason he'd ever want to come back to the US. Like friends or family, or even just taking a vacation. I don't think he'd have a very fun time trying to reenter the country when he's being hunted fown for student loan debt.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Haifisch posted:

Even if his plan magically works and they somehow don't find him(despite the paper trail left by him becoming a Swedish citizen and losing his American citizenship), I hope there's no reason he'd ever want to come back to the US. Like friends or family, or even just taking a vacation. I don't think he'd have a very fun time trying to reenter the country when he's being hunted fown for student loan debt.

What would happen though, if he came back to the USA? It's not like they can throw him in some debtor's prison or something. And I don't think people are exactly extradited over defaulted student loans.

As long as he didn't need to conduct any financial business in the states he might be ok. Same as if he lived here and just stopped paying.

One potential issue could be if the countries' financial systems share information and he gets blacklisted internationally or something.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Stutes posted:

That's not really true at all; even if tuition revenues are growing, states have been slashing funds allocated to public schools for quite a while (which, in turn, places even more upward pressure on tuition rates).

That just goes along with my healthcare comparison that these costs are increasingly being passed on to the end user. Every year the Board of Regents gets together and increases tuition because more money is needed. But the question is why more money is needed.

My state's largest university is now paying it's football team's Defensive Coordinator 1.3 million dollars a year. That school probably makes a profit off it's sports team, but other similar schools' defensive coordinators are going to look at that and think, "I should get a raise." Now magnify that by every big expense a college has, like new student centers or obscure academic chairs. So costs go up across the board and next year the Board of Regents is announcing another 3% increase because as long as student loans are cheap they can pass along the costs regardless of state budget cuts. Until they can't, at which point an increase in costs results in a decrease in demand like every properly functioning market.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Thesaurus posted:

What would happen though, if he came back to the USA? It's not like they can throw him in some debtor's prison or something. And I don't think people are exactly extradited over defaulted student loans.

As long as he didn't need to conduct any financial business in the states he might be ok. Same as if he lived here and just stopped paying.

One potential issue could be if the countries' financial systems share information and he gets blacklisted internationally or something.

Well since he has made a record of his intent to defraud the lenders I would say he has a very good chance of extradition.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Not being able to pay your loans due to hardship is one thing. Formulating and executing a plan to take out a loan with no intention of repaying it and then fleeing to an outside jurisdiction is outright fraud, and there's a good chance they'll see action a lot stronger than collections calls if the bank (or worse, the government) picks up on it.

e:f,b

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Not a Children posted:

Not being able to pay your loans due to hardship is one thing. Formulating and executing a plan to take out a loan with no intention of repaying it and then fleeing to an outside jurisdiction is outright fraud, and there's a good chance they'll see action a lot stronger than collections calls if the bank (or worse, the government) picks up on it.

e:f,b

Thanks guys, this will probably do it :)

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Just send him this:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1344

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Hans Gruber posted:

when you steal $600, you can just disappear. When you steal 600 million, they will find you, unless they think you're already dead.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
To be fair it isn't documented in any sort of identifying way, and good luck bringing up a legal case with the only piece of material evidence being a post from Parallel Paraplegic in Bad With Money: I feel a pang of guilt whenever I get into my pre-owned 2014 Sorrento

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

You're right, it's a good plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Your friend has it backwards. He should marry the hot Swedish girl first then get access to free healthcare, education, blowjobs, etc. Then he can sauna and aquavit the weekends away, debt free.

• Locked thread