Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Just the thing that you don't want to see once you finish a renovation:

http://imgur.com/a/dJjgU?desktop=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

How? Who did that and didn't think twice?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
I get how the plumber could gently caress it up and not realize.
I get how the tile guy could gently caress up and not realize.
How does the guy putting in the tub not realize?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Gounads posted:

"Not my job."

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Gounads posted:

How does the homeowner not notice this during the job?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

How does the homeowner not notice this during the job?
Because American, they shouldn't have to notice!!1!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Moved out of the house while both of their bathrooms were being reno'd, and then all the finishing work was done during the week while they were working?

I get what you're saying, inspect the work being done on your home as often as you can, but I could easily see this happening for some people who just can't come by more than once a week or something.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Earlier in the thread a bunch of people got angry at the idea of homeowners checking in on construction on a daily basis.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DNova posted:

Earlier in the thread a bunch of people got angry at the idea of homeowners checking in on construction on a daily basis.

Yes, but *those* contractors were obviously the good ones. It's the bad ones you need to ride herd on and they should have known through the bond with their home that something was awry.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DNova posted:

Those people are either idiots or lovely contractors.

WATCH EVERYTHING.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Splizwarf posted:

The mold is nothing compared to the "no steel in the world [made at that time] could possibly do what you're asking, sir" structural issues over the years.

Uhg just make it happen! Don't you understand I have a VISION beyond such minor problems?? *made a cluster or lumpy boxes or blobs in a 3d program in 10 min*
In fact I don't even care what you put inside this building. What is it? A museum? Office? I don't give a gently caress, get some struggling city to pay for it, tell them it will become an architectural attraction.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

DNova posted:

Wasn't the consensus that one should come right before quittin time with pizza and beer? Or right after quittin time while the GC is on site? I know my dad bugs his contractors a bit (he self-GC's all projects), but he gets good results. When he leaves highly rated subs to manage themselves, it's ok but not perfect.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Baronjutter posted:

Uhg just make it happen! Don't you understand I have a VISION beyond such minor problems?? *made a cluster or lumpy boxes or blobs in a 3d program in 10 min*
In fact I don't even care what you put inside this building. What is it? A museum? Office? I don't give a gently caress, get some struggling city to pay for it, tell them it will become an architectural attraction.

That is this piece of dogshit to a T

Welcome to the Royal Ontario Museum. Where the new glass leaks and lets in so many lumens many artifacts can't be displayed there.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That looks like the worst case of encroachment in all history.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 21, 2015

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Dear god. The poor thing's been overwhelmed by a glass tumor.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
The ROM also has some lovely second/third floor walkways that feel like they're about to collapse at any time.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Try deleting the building and having steam re-download it. If that doesn't fix it, your video card may be going bad.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

When did that happen? The last time I was at the ROM was probably 3 years ago, and I don't remember it looking that bad

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Same architect (Daniel Libeskind):

I guess if you've found your niche...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

So are these gigantic polygons just kind of dropped wholesale over existing buildings, or were those "existing" buildings also built new but in an entirely different style? The latter seems a lot more defensible to me somehow as being an artistic vision as opposed to just crapping all over someone else's hard work.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

So are these gigantic polygons just kind of dropped wholesale over existing buildings, or were those "existing" buildings also built new but in an entirely different style? The latter seems a lot more defensible to me somehow as being an artistic vision as opposed to just crapping all over someone else's hard work.

He's loving up existing historical architecture.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well that particular one is the Museum of Military History in Dresden, and the polygon a) points to the spot where the WWII bombardments began and b) houses a special exhibition that interrupts the existing one on the inside, so it's not just for the hell of it but it also doesn't mean it looks any less like house parasites from space.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
There's a whole crappy architecture thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3701638

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

What. the. hell. How did this get approved? Is this some sort of "emperor's new clothes"-esque situation where the board was afraid to say it was ugly lest they be mocked for not appreciating modern architecture? This man must be stopped before he ruins more buildings.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Regarding people bitching about dropping in on contractors doing work for you, here's some advice. A great way to keep your costs down is to work out a deal with the contractor where they give you a cheaper rate if you do the clean up. Then you just come in after they're done for the day, straighten up a bit and check out all the work they did that day. You get to snoop on their progress and even save a few bucks doing it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Brennanite posted:

What. the. hell. How did this get approved? Is this some sort of "emperor's new clothes"-esque situation where the board was afraid to say it was ugly lest they be mocked for not appreciating modern architecture? This man must be stopped before he ruins more buildings.

This is basically every modern "starchitect". They are talentless form-obsessed architects who couldn't design a functional building if their life depended on it. What they do is foist huge weird flashy public buildings on cities who don't want to seem uncultured by pointing out they look like poo poo. Their entire careers are based on a massive "emperors new clothes" syndrome and they leave in their wake countless money-pits of buildings. The buildings never reinvigorate struggling neighbourhoods, the attractions them selves struggle financially, and the buildings leak, fall apart, crack under snow, and generally and poorly suited to their actual function (which was of course an afterthough, if a thought at all).

But cities and companies keep hiring hacks like Frank Ghery or Libeskind and "new money" countries absolutely love to build big stupid skyscrapers and "civic centres" designed by such architects.

Man, I just recently read an article on this exact subject with someone just raking these "starchitects" over the coals as well as the horribly constructed messes they design but I can't find it. But even the best construction crews and engineers can't make a bad design work. If you've made a bunch of angular glass valleys with nowhere for snow or water to go you're going to end up with problems. But these architects don't care, basic basic poo poo like "drainage" is so below them, they are creating ART, how dare you pull them down into the gutter with such concerns like, well, gutters.

And all this is made worse because the poo poo they design is ugly and stupid. They push for novelty rather than art. Huge over-hangs, weird geometry, not because it looks good but because it looks weird. Not because its needed for the function of the building, but often specifically because it doesn't make sense or is impractical. "Check out how impractical and weird my building is!" and people clap because that huge impractical overhanging cube must have cost a fortune to build and engineer, what an accomplishment! They aren't expressing anything with their "art", the only expression is "check out how far we pushed the budget and engineering!".

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 22, 2015

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

Indolent Bastard posted:

That is this piece of dogshit to a T

Welcome to the Royal Ontario Museum. Where the new glass leaks and lets in so many lumens many artifacts can't be displayed there.

I like the dude down in the right pointing at it, "Look at that thing lol"

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Architects deserve Kanye. Kanye is the epitome of what starchitects strive for.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

My Lovely Horse posted:

The Dresden one is good because it's deliberately jarring and discordant, which tbh is perfect for one of the few historical buildings in Dresden that wasn't destroyed, a building whose purpose is to record and present local and national history. The ROM one is just "crystals are cool bro"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I like how it looks exactly like what would happen back when my graphics card used to overheat while playing the city levels of Half Life 2 causing the vaguely european-y buildings to randomly have one or two of their vertexes drawn way out of place :allears:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
On some of the buildings that seems to explicitly be the sort of thing they're going for, honestly.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I like how it looks exactly like what would happen back when my graphics card used to overheat while playing the city levels of Half Life 2 causing the vaguely european-y buildings to randomly have one or two of their vertexes drawn way out of place :allears:

it even looks like the texture is random garbage from an uninitialized area of graphics memory, too.

Hopefully the architect is stuck clipped halfway through a wall somewhere for 30 seconds, spinning wildly, and will suddenly get launched in a random direction at warp speed straight into blue hell.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Those kinda look awesome v:shobon:v

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Just saw this today. Apparently having torches accent your business by igniting adjacient palm fronds is an acceptible way ro promote your business.
http://imgur.com/bgy6IWW

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

:yum:

I did my first house inspection on Monday and saw a whole lot of awesome gems. We knew this place was going to need some work, but really...

This is the bathroom in the ADU. Just take the thought process that put this together in the first place, then extend that to literally any single aspect of this entire chopped up colonial turned quadplex(ish). It just gets fractally weirder the closer you look.

See if you can unravel all of the layers that make up the majestic glory that is this shower.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pac man frogs posted:

I did my first house inspection on Monday and saw a whole lot of awesome gems. We knew this place was going to need some work, but really...

This is the bathroom in the ADU. Just take the thought process that put this together in the first place, then extend that to literally any single aspect of this entire chopped up colonial turned quadplex(ish). It just gets fractally weirder the closer you look.

See if you can unravel all of the layers that make up the majestic glory that is this shower.

Is there no drain in that thing?

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

Oh, there's a drain.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

pac man frogs posted:

Oh, there's a drain.

It is fractal bad decisions!

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

The walls are fabric hung from (something) behind plexiglass with peel & stick floor vinyl tiles that extend down to the floor. We weren't able to figure out where it actually drains to - the toilet goes into the main sewer line, but running the shower is a bit sketchy because that water doesn't show up anywhere.

Give the wall a good shove and it wobbles back and forth about 3-4" and the fabric dances about. No idea what's on the other side of all of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Holy christ.. what.. curved tiles? What the gently caress am I looking at?? Are those tiles or some sort of laminate/countertop material?! Your first picture looked just like a lovely shower but jesus christ that 2nd picture.