Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It was in the early-mid 80s, brought about by horrible shovelware. As legend goes Nintendo pulled us back from the brink with Officially-Licensed Quality.

Several factors were at play. Short version:
-The 2600 was the market leader for so long, it was way past its prime and desperately in need of an upgrade
-But its competition couldn't compete with its game library, the shovelware was strong
-The 2600 also suffered from some really crappy major releases at a really bad time (like the legendary E.T.)
-The successor to the 2600 was badly done in many ways (not backward compatible, despite other consoles selling 2600 adapters, yet they tried to sell lots of 2600 ports)
-Meanwhile, in Japan... the Famicom was dominant. Nintendo were license nazis, but that kept per-title quality high, and for the shovelware-infested American market that was just peachy
-So the Famicom went on to dominate the weakened American console market, and this is when the console industry shifted to Japan

So it's not just that tight license control = success, or that shovelware = death. The industry is a little more complex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Certainly. I was just severely simplifying. :v:

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Greenlight produces worse games than anything of the videogame crash although I think back then something like ET was the equivalent of a hundred bucks so maybe it's a wash.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

From postal 2 DLC

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
There would have not been a crash if people were able to buy digital hats.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

revdrkevind posted:

Several factors were at play. Short version:
-The 2600 was the market leader for so long, it was way past its prime and desperately in need of an upgrade
-But its competition couldn't compete with its game library, the shovelware was strong
-The 2600 also suffered from some really crappy major releases at a really bad time (like the legendary E.T.)
-The successor to the 2600 was badly done in many ways (not backward compatible, despite other consoles selling 2600 adapters, yet they tried to sell lots of 2600 ports)
-Meanwhile, in Japan... the Famicom was dominant. Nintendo were license nazis, but that kept per-title quality high, and for the shovelware-infested American market that was just peachy
-So the Famicom went on to dominate the weakened American console market, and this is when the console industry shifted to Japan

So it's not just that tight license control = success, or that shovelware = death. The industry is a little more complex.

iirc, the only reason Nintendo got a foothold in America was because of ROB, incidentally. The toy stores wouldn't touch a console after the crash, but look the NES has a robot. Clearly it's a toy, you see... :ninja:

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Broken Cog posted:

GTA 5 really has it in for hipsters for some reason. I mean, they stereotype everything(intentionally, of course), but they keep getting back to hipsters over and over.

It's a series written by a couple of rich British white dudes. The first time the Housers ever heard the n-bomb dropped was in Pulp Fiction. The reason everything is stereotyped and shallow is because they don't understand much of anything they're writing about and are just yanking poo poo from pop culture to fill in the blanks. Add in "we have an M-RATING NOW, MOM" and you get GTA.

They're also starting to hit their mid-life crisis years, so there's a shitload of bitching about kids these days. Take a shot every time someone says "millennial" and you'll wake up naked on a rooftop somewhere.

In other news, Westerado is fun, but I'm not sure I would recommend it at full price. Pick it up when it inevitably goes on sale or is put in a bundle.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

It would actually be pretty cool if someone could pull off a documentary about shovelware side of indie gaming. I feel like I'd be more interested in that then a documentary about the high-profile experimental games that we've heard about in the media a hundred times over.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Did they ever fix Silent Hunters 4 or 5?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

Did they ever fix Silent Hunters 4 or 5?

SH4 has been technically fixed and was a good game from the get-go, Silent Hunter 5 sort of works and has a couple TOs that expand the scope of the game both in navigable water and time period, but just reinstall Grey Wolves and play that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BattleHamster posted:

It would actually be pretty cool if someone could pull off a documentary about shovelware side of indie gaming.

You might as well stick a bucket in the ocean, pull it out and declare "water is wet". All it'd point to is the dozens or hundreds of copies cribbing off the one successful version and hoping lightning will strike twice for them.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Tulul posted:

It's a series written by a couple of rich British white dudes. The first time the Housers ever heard the n-bomb dropped was in Pulp Fiction. The reason everything is stereotyped and shallow is because they don't understand much of anything they're writing about and are just yanking poo poo from pop culture to fill in the blanks. Add in "we have an M-RATING NOW, MOM" and you get GTA.

They're also starting to hit their mid-life crisis years, so there's a shitload of bitching about kids these days. Take a shot every time someone says "millennial" and you'll wake up naked on a rooftop somewhere.

In other news, Westerado is fun, but I'm not sure I would recommend it at full price. Pick it up when it inevitably goes on sale or is put in a bundle.

To be fair I could listen to Michael De Santa bitch about kids all day. Something about that voice actor can make anything sound like the funniest thing in the universe.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mycot posted:

To be fair I could listen to Michael De Santa bitch about kids all day. Something about that voice actor can make anything sound like the funniest thing in the universe.

He was really the only decent protagonist of the three. Franklin was fine, but we've just seen the exact same story before in GTA: San Andreas. Trevor, on the other hand, is a character that's best seen from the outside rather than from his perspective so you don't know what he's thinking/planning.

Orv
May 4, 2011

mycot posted:

His VA did a really good job. Steven Ogg did as well for Trevor, and Trevor is such a good (written) character because they stopped trying to reign themselves in to just writing assholes and went full unlikable psychopath, because they can't actually write a complex character. Franklin is just a guy who they could do a lot with but basically nothing happens to over the course of the game. Just rehire Cantamessa you idiots.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

CJacobs posted:

Presumably they're talking about the big game economy crash in the 80s which was completely incomparable and happened for totally different reasons.

I wondered if that was the case. Not even close to the same thing. Amazing.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Quest For Glory II posted:

From postal 2 DLC

Should have been TP-0 :cmon:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Orv posted:

SH4 has been technically fixed and was a good game from the get-go, Silent Hunter 5 sort of works and has a couple TOs that expand the scope of the game both in navigable water and time period, but just reinstall Grey Wolves and play that.

Someday we'll get another good U-boat game. Probably around when I figure out how to manually target a goddamn torpedo.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

He was really the only decent protagonist of the three. Franklin was fine, but we've just seen the exact same story before in GTA: San Andreas. Trevor, on the other hand, is a character that's best seen from the outside rather than from his perspective so you don't know what he's thinking/planning.

Ugh. No, Franklin's pretty much the anti-CJ. Everything he says and does is an attempt to get the gently caress away from gang bangers and their legacy. They seem to have gone out of their way to really underline that Grove Street is done. Micheal's a tired psychotic that wants something different, but doesn't quite know what, and by the end you're convinced that he's a mildly more impulse controlled version of Trevor. And Trevor is a force of nature, unfettered by society. I actually feel fairly sorry for Trevor, as his entire life is effectively a 'gently caress you' to the air force that wouldn't let him fly.

Orv - Franklin goes from repossessing cars to a contract killer. I wouldn't necessarily say that _nothing_ happens to him, but it doesn't have the same impact as chasing your yacht, or the whole Yankton episode. Highest point had to be shooting your way out of Grove Street.

Hav fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 21, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011
Unrelated to the GTA discussion, will any and all studios/companies that release both a PC and console version and cripple or entirely remove controller support from the PC version please gnosh upon my erect phallus.

Hav posted:

Orv - Franklin goes from repossessing cars to a contract killer. I wouldn't necessarily say that _nothing_ happens to him, but it doesn't have the same impact as chasing your yacht, or the whole Yankton episode. Highest point had to be shooting your way out of Grove Street.

His circumstances and job change, but he as a person doesn't really do much to react to those changes.

Orv fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 21, 2015

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Trine 3 is now available in Early Access, although they claim the game will be finished this summer so I guess it is more of a beta test.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/319910/

Interesting thing is it has a level editor, which might be the first 3D platformer to have one? So instead of remakes of Mario Bros 1-1, maybe we'll get Mario 64/Mario 3D Land level remakes instead

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You might as well stick a bucket in the ocean, pull it out and declare "water is wet". All it'd point to is the dozens or hundreds of copies cribbing off the one successful version and hoping lightning will strike twice for them.

It doesn't have to make a point, it could just be a cool story.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Frozenbyte added a level editor to trines 1 and/or 2 as well (so 2.5D but whatever). I'll be waiting on trine 3 though since I want to do it when it's completely done and polished.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Killing Floor 2 early access page is up, $30 or $150 for a six-pack: http://store.steampowered.com/app/232090/

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Killing Floor 2 early access page is up, $30 or $150 for a six-pack: http://store.steampowered.com/app/232090/

gently caress yes.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
gently caress I'm so tempted to get it because I loved Killing Floor, but I'm having such bad luck lately jumping into co-op online games :(

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Did anyone mention the new Assassin's Creed spinoff that just came out? The fact that it's 2.5D and set in 16th century China got my attention.

It looks loving gorgeous but I'm wondering how deep the gameplay is.

Unbearable
Apr 3, 2011

Killing Floor 2 is 20€ / 25€ (digital deluxe) in EU2. Better than the 6-pack price.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Who wants a creepy Warhams trailer?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv1Mp3v25fA

For a chess game?!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

So is Games Workshop just hoping they can gain some sort of money from giving their license to everyone?

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Lemon Curdistan posted:

That looks pretty great. Looking forward to joining some goon co-op games.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Zombie Samurai posted:

Did anyone mention the new Assassin's Creed spinoff that just came out? The fact that it's 2.5D and set in 16th century China got my attention.

It's like everything but the character animation in this game looks really good and that bothers the hell out of me.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mr E posted:

So is Games Workshop just hoping they can gain some sort of money from giving their license to everyone?

More or less. They're gradually realizing that even the hardcore tabletop people are fed up with $60 for a plastic tank but it's looking like the realization has come too late to save them. They're basically scrabbling at this point, throwing out Warhammer licenses left and right to people who never would have gotten the go-ahead before. On the bright side in-between the inevitable drek it means some really potentially neat stuff. Warhammer Total War, Vermintide is a skaven L4D with some cool twists, there was the Slithereen hex tactics game a few months back. The loving EYE people are making a Space Hulk FPS. Even the trailer for a stupid chess game is really cool and could make a really neat game if they did something with that, but hey, not everything can be killer.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Orv posted:

More or less. They're gradually realizing that even the hardcore tabletop people are fed up with $60 for a plastic tank but it's looking like the realization has come too late to save them. They're basically scrabbling at this point, throwing out Warhammer licenses left and right to people who never would have gotten the go-ahead before. On the bright side in-between the inevitable drek it means some really potentially neat stuff. Warhammer Total War, Vermintide is a skaven L4D with some cool twists, there was the Slithereen hex tactics game a few months back. The loving EYE people are making a Space Hulk FPS. Even the trailer for a stupid chess game is really cool and could make a really neat game if they did something with that, but hey, not everything can be killer.

I really love 40K, but it's way too expensive for me to have kept playing. I hope they change their model, but I don't see how they can this late.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mr E posted:

I really love 40K, but it's way too expensive for me to have kept playing. I hope they change their model, but I don't see how they can this late.

Yeah it's a shame. I played tabletop years ago and it just got to be too much work, money and time spent with insane people, but I've continued to enjoy the game stuff and some of the fiction that comes out of their dark abyss. They've stopped supporting/making Fantasy tabletop entirely because it was such a marginal portion of the player base, and they finally got into digital book stuff, even if it is through their own lovely site. I'm hoping they pull it out, because Warhammer is some of the most outright 12 Year Old Cool for Cools Sake there is, and I don't mind that at all from time to time.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mr E posted:

I hope they change their model

They won't, because they're completely brain-dead. The good news is they're bound to die soon so someone competent can pick up their IPs and make tabletop games that aren't 100% pure unmitigated garbage at prices that aren't shameless gouging.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

They won't, because they're completely brain-dead. The good news is they're bound to die soon so someone competent can pick up their IPs and make tabletop games that aren't 100% pure unmitigated garbage at prices that aren't shameless gouging.

Oh, I know, I don't actually expect them to after the past, say, decade. Anyone going to buy a 6-pack of KF2 I can get in on or should I just go ahead and grab it?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Zombie Samurai posted:

Oh poo poo, how're the combos/combat in this game? My favorite point of the Spiderman 2.5D games was comboing the gently caress out of dudes.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Morter posted:

Oh poo poo, how're the combos/combat in this game? My favorite point of the Spiderman 2.5D games was comboing the gently caress out of dudes.

Played the first level, combat is heavy attack, light attack, walk towards + B/Circle (on controller) to parry attacks, X/A to roll over someone after you parry, Y/Triangle to kill a stunned opponent with an AssCreed style finisher. Not particularly intricate.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mr E posted:

!

Dare I hope for a party-based Inquisitor RPG at some point? That would seriously be enough to justify Games Workshop's existence.

Zombie Samurai posted:

I'm sure that everyone has a "wouldn't it be cool if rear end Creed was set in [my historical area of choice]" sort of idea, and China pretty much tops a lot of lists. But I'm still annoyed that the struggle with the Mongol invasion was relegated to some spin-offs. It's such a hugely apocalyptic good vs evil (or... generic medieval guys versus a force of destruction) struggle in a fairly unique area that very little media explores. I wanted to see Ezio Altair fighting besides Jalal al-Din. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lemon Curdistan posted:

You should check out their valuations; they're not doing too badly out of their current model, but they've managed to try and put every franchise out of business by creating web exclusives rather than supporting the retail model that buffers a bunch of their revenue. They've been doing brain dead things for as long as I can remember, and I started in the hobby in 1984.

The current license-making GBS threads is more an exercise in seeing what sticks to the wall after Cyanide tried to get the bloodbowl license, failed, released a knock-off, gathered some success and showed the sales figures at their next attempt to get the license, which succeeded.

It's just a shame that the IP is going to casual games, because there's some depth there. They license a good chunk of it out to Fantasy Flight, though.

Orv posted:

They've stopped supporting/making Fantasy tabletop entirely because it was such a marginal portion of the player base,

When did that happen? I haven't been near a store in a year and the change to White Dwarf managed to remove the last easy route to getting information...

• Locked thread