Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
At least have a spare ready at hand, to react as soon one of the Seagates makes funny noises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

In my opinion, it's bad enough to warrant pre-emptive replacement if you have an array with more than 1 of those pieces of poo poo drives in it.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Would it be possible to RMA them if you don't trust them anymore? Seems like a structural failure in the drive itself.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
Not really, they expect them to have actually failed before they'll honor a warranty. However, if you do something, say, like powering the drive up, then shaking it pretty hard, you'll probably make the heads hit the platters and ruin it. Careful with this though, the force generated by the spinning disk is actually non-trivial and could make you drop the drive if not careful, and they'll probably notice and not honor a large dent.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

They may also have G-force sensors that trip a flag in SMART data if triggered, voiding the warranty.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Can also try running the drive with some powerful magnets attached stuck to the outside.

Or just put it in a box and have it wiped 24/7 until it fails.

Or do all 3.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Did I stumble into the "fake computer advice" thread?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Someone was asking about how to RMA a HD before it actually died naturally.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Combat Pretzel posted:

At least have a spare ready at hand, to react as soon one of the Seagates makes funny noises.

Two out of the 5 something I RMAed I did so because "Funny noises" and random high latency IOs. The other three were all straightforward SMART failures of some kind.

e: None ever had issues with them approving the RMA, even though the funny noise drives hadn't actually failed yet. Technically none of them had, as soon as I saw the first smart indicators flip I just said gently caress that and got an advance replacement RMA. Seagate's really good about that, at least. 10 bucks and they send you the replacement drive first, with a pre-paid shipping label to send the old drive back. Totally no hassle at all.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

The problem is that they send you more Seagate drives.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

DNova posted:

The problem is that they send you more Seagate drives.

I know :smith:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Skandranon posted:

Someone was asking about how to RMA a HD before it actually died naturally.

We used to put things in the microwave for a couple seconds

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Buy WD/HGST and ditch the Seagates on Ebay.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

We used to put things in the microwave for a couple seconds

That usually causes sparks and burns on the PCB. Someone posted earlier that Seagate is usually pretty chill about it, so perhaps we are fretting over nothing. I'm swapping 4 of them out soon and will see about RMAing them all at once, then either sell them on ebay or keep them around as spares.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
Amazon has the Synology DS1515+ for $687.99, regularly ~$800. It's a 5-bay Intel Atom quad core unit, capable of running Plex. I've been waiting for a deal like this for a Synology box -- the super easy UI is worth the premium to me, especially at this price.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Hooray, a seagate 3tb, my st3000dm001, just died.

Thanks seagate

Theagate

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

lowcrabdiet posted:

Amazon has the Synology DS1515+ for $687.99, regularly ~$800. It's a 5-bay Intel Atom quad core unit, capable of running Plex. I've been waiting for a deal like this for a Synology box -- the super easy UI is worth the premium to me, especially at this price.

Price is already back up to $799. Guess it was just an overnight deal.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

lowcrabdiet posted:

I guess you already bought, but my N54L + XPenology is great at running Plex.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Stupid DS414 puked on Thursday night. Close to but not quite a year old yet.

beeps and beeps and beeps. Put an RMA in so hopefully they send a replacement out soon.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Umm, so how are you supposed to deal with a NAS hardware failure? Not a drive failure but an actual hardware failure of the NAS? Can you pop the drives out and read them in some other device? What if it was in a raid?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
You replace the hardware and restore from backup. RAID/NAS is not backup.

If it's important enough that downtime is unacceptable (instead of just inconvenient), you have redundancy: Either built into your rackmounted NAS or through mirrored NASes. If availability is really important, the mirrored NASes are geographically separated.

Thanks for being a warning sign for me, Bob Morales. Gonna set up Amazon Glacier on my Synology tonight.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Shaocaholica posted:

Umm, so how are you supposed to deal with a NAS hardware failure? Not a drive failure but an actual hardware failure of the NAS? Can you pop the drives out and read them in some other device? What if it was in a raid?

You can often replace the device and the drives will work, i know they will in synology boxes as long as yiou install the drives in the same order they were in on the old one.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

I've read threads about mounting them in a Linux server...

Burt we just use this NAS as a backup target, we also back up the NAS to external drives so we have a copy of everything from .... Thursday?

I was planning on setting up a cloud backup service for our shared network drives, so we ended up doing that on Friday anyway. That backup actually just finished so we're good for now, but server restores etc won't work until we get a new unit. Our main system (IBM iSeries) is backed up to tape and offsite so we're not in that bad of shape right now.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

The answer to this is pretty much "replace the hardware and hope for the best". Some NAS/RAID cards handle this well, others not so much.

This is my main objection to using such NAS type devices, you're tied to the specific hardware implementation, making recovery of the system as a whole more difficult if you have not simply invested in spares. I'm working on moving my media to a Snapraid array, which has a number of features which make recovery of hardware failure much easier. This also makes it easier to move the drives around to new systems, instead of having to copy the data entirely via network from one array to another.

1) Data is stored on standard NTFS partitions. Can be moved to any other system and read directly. This could be with EXT4 as well, if using Linux, same applies.
2) Config is stored in an easy to backup read/modify .cfg file, which is transferable to other systems.
3) Supports multiple parity drives (up to 6).
4) If more drives fail at once than parity can protect, you can still read data directly from the drives that did not fail.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Any thread favorites for a mITX-style case (uATX OK too) for a NAS build? I'm looking for a minimum of 4x3.5 and 1x2.5 if not a couple more 3.5"ers, with enough space to mount a PCIE RAID controller at the same time to get enough SATA ports. Cheaper is better, and I don't really care all that much about hotswap sleds. Nice to have but not essential.

What's the best combination of capacity and safety for 4x3TB WD Reds? A pair of RAID-1 arrays? JBOD pairs with nightly rsync mirrors?

I just realized that most of my media library is sitting on one of those 3TB Seagates with the reputation for making GBS threads themselves. Oops. I have backups of most of it but I'm taking action to protect it. The reason I was moving stuff onto that disk was to try and clear off my external raid subsystem (currently RAID-5 with the 4x3TB Reds) so that I could rebuild that into a safer configuration. All right, everyone back onto the boat :snoop:

FWIW that external is a Cineraid CR-H458 and so far it hasn't let me down. For a cheap consumer RAID subsystem they've done a nice job supporting it, they now officially support double the capacity it did when I first bought it. I wish it were a NAS but it's not a big deal to mount it on my file server.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 21, 2015

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
With just 4 drives, there are really only 2 basic configs that make any sense. A pair of RAID-1, or a RAID-5. This will give you either 6tb or 9tb, respectively. The mirrors have a much better recovery procedure, and faster read/write. If you're new to this, and don't have significant storage requirements, I'd go with the RAID-1.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

You'd think that NAS appliances reserve some space at the end of the drive to write relevant identification and array configuration data. Even the dumbass Windows LVM does that for dynamic drives and related arrays.

Actually, I think even Linux' md does that, too. Isn't Synology Linux based?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
You can easily migrate synology drives to another unit so yes?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Shaocaholica posted:

That's one of the positives of doing a roll-your-own with some variant of ZFS: the implementation is hardware independent, so if it breaks, you just replace whatever failed, or move the drives over to another ZFS-supporting system, and you're back up and running. No fuss, no muss, no worries that one was built around a i5 + M1015 and the other was built around some integrated Marvell controllers.

NAS application boxes (Synology, et al) usually have some ability to move within similar ecosystems/lineups, but replacing single failed parts is usually much harder because they bake as much onto the motherboard as they can to save costs and space. If it was actually running a traditional RAID setup, hope that you can find identical hardware to swap to. There's not a whole lot of love for traditional RAID systems in this thread, though, for various reasons.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

You can easily migrate synology drives to another unit so yes?
Everyone's mentioning of keeping the same drive order.

DrDork posted:

That's one of the positives of doing a roll-your-own with some variant of ZFS: the implementation is hardware independent, so if it breaks, you just replace whatever failed, or move the drives over to another ZFS-supporting system, and you're back up and running. No fuss, no muss, no worries that one was built around a i5 + M1015 and the other was built around some integrated Marvell controllers.
Doesn't FreeNAS do some GEOM fuckery that prevents the pool to be used on non-FreeBSD systems? I vagely remember something like that, which is why I created mine on the commandline manually and then imported it into the FreeNAS admin interface.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 21, 2015

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
maybe I should replace my 6 year old Hitachi 2TBs...

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

Can anyone recommend a lowest-possible-cost mini ITX LGA1155 motherboard with at least 6 SATA ports? Not fussed about MB RAID or other features. I'm having a really hard time finding any at all, and the ones I do find don't seem to be sold anywhere. I found a few ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe's on ebay but they're all $200+.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

there's this jetway, but it's over $200 as well. has intel 82579 nics too.

http://www.logicsupply.com/components/motherboards/intel-core/nf9e-q77/

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

deimos posted:

maybe I should replace my 6 year old Hitachi 2TBs...
My upgrade trigger is to wait til my current array fits on a single drive. That has been 5 or so years and I'm comfortable with that. I went from 4x1TB RAID5 to 4x3. I'll go to 4x8 next or just wait it out til I need the space.

E: though I'm starting to reach the point where single drives of 8TB is a *lot* of chances at very small probability failures and that worries me. Maybe raid6 is the best next step.

Then again, ZFS owns and I suspect helps counteract some of this problem.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Apr 21, 2015

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Nam Taf posted:

E: though I'm starting to reach the point where single drives of 8TB is a *lot* of chances at very small probability failures and that worries me. Maybe raid6 is the best next step.

Then again, ZFS owns and I suspect helps counteract some of this problem.

ZFS does own but it can't alleviate the probability of a drive failing during a rebuild of a RAID5 volume, particularly as the size of the individual drives goes up.

RAIDZ2 for life.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

mayodreams posted:

ZFS does own but it can't alleviate the probability of a drive failing during a rebuild of a RAID5 volume, particularly as the size of the individual drives goes up.

RAIDZ2 for life.

Yeh, that's where I'll probably head next. I'll just have to rewire my N36L a little to fit a 5th drive.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I have a WD Live Plus media player with a HDD inside it. Does anyone know if I can mount a share on this(or any other) media player so that my NAS can either directly download torrents to that mount or sync to that mount? Right now I'm just streaming files from my NAS to my media player but since these files are more or less disposable I'd rather have them live on the media player and free up the NAS for other stuff.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Nam Taf posted:

My upgrade trigger is to wait til my current array fits on a single drive.

I've been thinking about this. How can I move my Xpenology from 4x1TB to 2x4TB or whatever? Is that not possible without moving the data to another source, re-rolling everything, and then copying the data back? Because.... :effort:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mayodreams posted:

RAIDZ2 for life.

It can't prevent any dataloss, but it can limit it drastically. It won't drop the whole array automatically because of a URE, it will just flag the files it can't recover and tell you to restore them from backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

the RMA unit is going to be here...Friday. ugh.