Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
If it were me, I'd get a huge kick out of it, and be perfectly happy to play against you.

But it's a divisive topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neferreth
Feb 21, 2011

DiHK posted:

So how ostracized would one get if he showed up to an FoW game with a Pink Panzer Division or Hello Mien Kitty, or maybe a Russian Red Tide?

Both for pick up and serious play... There is an inherent appeal to harvesting immersion tears but it's more about pulling off a ridiculous theme. And getting into a game that's more about playing and less about power gaming. I am assuming that the very nature of historical settings leads to less aggregate power creep... is that naive?

A player in my regular group has a single pink Tiger I in his army. I don't mind, but most others hate it and complain when it shows up.

Venturing a guess, I think over 50% of FoW players would refuse to play you outright.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Well, duh, a single pink tiger doesn't make any sense. Not even a panther....

(bullshit loving neckbeards)

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
A single white Tiger(P), now that would make sense.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

DiHK posted:

So how ostracized would one get if he showed up to an FoW game with a Pink Panzer Division or Hello Mien Kitty, or maybe a Russian Red Tide?

Both for pick up and serious play... There is an inherent appeal to harvesting immersion tears but it's more about pulling off a ridiculous theme. And getting into a game that's more about playing and less about power gaming. I am assuming that the very nature of historical settings leads to less aggregate power creep... is that naive?

Paint your whole army in black and white, cite period photos for reference. :v:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Saalkin posted:

So anyone play Sails of Glory? I was thinking about picking up the starter but I haven't really heard anything about the game at all.

I have it and love it (I did a write-up on my one playthrough earlier in the thread).

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Pierzak posted:

I'm painting my Russians in a B&W night fighting scheme illuminated by OSL explosions if that counts.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I'm painting my Russians in a B&W night fighting scheme illuminated by OSL explosions if that counts.

Only if you post photos.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Pierzak posted:

I've seen that done, it looks awesome.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I saw someone's vampire counts Warhammer army done up in B&W and it's seriously impressive when done right.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A friend of mine has a bright yellow Soviet army with Imperial Fists transfers on the turrets of his T-34s. He never got a single game with the army, but that's more to do with him ditching every non-GW game than it is the army itself.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
What can y'all tell me about Openfire!(tm)? Mostly I'm curious how complete the forces book is compared to the big rule book. Buying a separate supplement is fine if I wanted to play like Ostfront or Market Garden, I just don't want to get stuck buying the main book later, when I'm already not very interested in Joes (I am limey and ruskie curious though, so are those shermans usable as lend-lease or british?).

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

DiHK posted:

What can y'all tell me about Openfire!(tm)? Mostly I'm curious how complete the forces book is compared to the big rule book. Buying a separate supplement is fine if I wanted to play like Ostfront or Market Garden, I just don't want to get stuck buying the main book later, when I'm already not very interested in Joes (I am limey and ruskie curious though, so are those shermans usable as lend-lease or british?).

The new Open Fire set is... weird. It's basically a quasi-streamlined version of the game, with all the special rules taken out to make it easier for new players to learn, in addition to simplified artillery and aircraft rules. Minus that though, the basic rules are the same, so it's a good learning tool if nothing else.

For Brits, the allied list in the box is actually a British list. The tanks are Sherman Vs with the option to build the Firefly variant, and they come with American paratroopers in support since it's based around Operation Market Garden. If you want to play Brits, getting the OF box is pretty much the cheapest and easiest way to do it, along with grabbing a copy of Market Garden to run them as Confident Vets.

For Soviets, it's not as good of a fit, but you can make it work. The Soviets used a lot of lend-lease Shermans, and in the book Red Bear you can take lend-lease tanks either as supporting platoons or as your company. Taken together with the infantry, you could likely do a Forward Detachment list, which lets you mix tanks and infantry for your combat platoons. Build your tanks as Fireflies (The sprues should come with options to make both turrets, IIRC), run them as M4A2 (76s), and you can actually get an 800 point list. The models aren't really correct, but for trying it out and seeing if that's the kind of army you want to play you could do a heck of a lot worse.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Re: pink Nazis. My brother is painting his Bolt Action Germans pink and no one has said anything ill of it. Most of the sperglords play 40k and not historicals in our area though.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Springfield Fatts posted:

Re: pink Nazis. My brother is painting his Bolt Action Germans pink and no one has said anything ill of it. Most of the sperglords play 40k and not historicals in our area though.

"Und den Hanzi said, your hair ist just such geil :gay: "

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

DJ Dizzy posted:

"Und den Hanzi said, your hair ist just such geil :gay: "

I could see tiny pewter homonazis being either the best or worst thing, more likely the latter since lol wargamers

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Honestly, are there WW2 players that don't know that pink and black were the insignia colour of Wehrmacht panzer troops? They had these cute pink pennants on the tanks, pink and black banners, pink ribbons on panzer caps and hats, as well as pink stripes on the panzer uniforms. That's like the main reason to field a Panzer platoon, next to building cool looking tanks.

E:
Pink and black means anarchofeminist or panzer corps.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 21, 2015

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Sorry man everything I know about Nazis I learned from Indiana Jones.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Springfield Fatts posted:

Sorry man everything I know about Nazis I learned from Indiana Jones.

It's just pink pink pink, pink all the way to the bottom with these fellas I tells ya.

E: they probably had pink underwear too, going by how much they loved the colour.

E2: Indiana Jones would be better if the nazis wore pink uniforms.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
throws officer off zeppelin

"He wasn't wearing pink!"

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Hi guys. I've moved and it looks like a hoarder house with all my hams. So a lot of stuff has to go. I will combine postage on multiple lots. A lot of this is historicals so I am posting it here.

Confrontation 3rd ed hardback rulebook, VGC, £20 including shipping.

DBM plus the ancients and dark ages books. £10 including shipping.

Dirtside II, £5 including shipping.

Brettonian army book, £6 including shipping

Old Dwarf book, 6th edition, £6 including shipping

Full thrust + More Thrust Plus Fleet Books 1+2. £15 including shipping.

Old Grey Knights codex, 5th ed, £6 including shipping

Here There Be Dragons (fantasy DBM), £4 including shipping

Lord of the Rings Khazad Dum, £8 including shipping

Lord of the Rings Fellowship of the Ring sourcebook, £7 including shipping

Lord of the Rings big rulebook, £20 including shipping (mainly because of the weight)

Lord of the Rings Two Towers sourcebook, £7 including shipping.

Muskets and Tomahawks with cards, £20 including shipping.

Noble Armada +Fleets of the Fading Suns, now both OOP, £25 including shipping

8th ed OnG book, good condition, £15 including shipping

Rapid Fire, £15 including shipping

Stargrunt II, £5 including shipping

Starship Troopers, skinnies army book - £5 including shipping

Warhammer Historical Trafalgar, VGC - £35 including shipping

Warmahordes 1st ed books £5 plus whatever shipping is.

Codex Witch Hunters, £6 including shipping.

Warhammer Historicals English Civil War - £15 including shipping.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
"We painted the dog pink"

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The new Open Fire set is...

Thanks, that's exactly the info I wanted, unfortunately it didn't make the dilemmmuch clearer. I don't want to bother with a watered down rule book, but then the starter box is a good deal for the minis alone. Guess I'll just get the book for now.

My other idea was to just get troopers in winter coats and paint them up to look like they're in the space fleet from Gundam or Robotech. At least there's some historical precedence for pink SS. Maybe black racing stripes on pink chassis....hmm.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 21, 2015

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

DiHK posted:

Historicals: That's not the proper pink for German panzer mascots in July of 1942

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

DiHK posted:

Thanks, that's exactly the info I wanted, unfortunately it didn't make the dilemmmuch clearer. I don't want to bother with a watered down rule book, but then the starter box is a good deal for the minis alone. Guess I'll just get the book for now.

Oh yeah, the starter box is a fantastic deal no question, especially if you're planning on splitting the box. I'm still not sure precisely why they decided to replace the small rulebook they had in their with the new stuff, but the small rulebook is only $10 by itself so it's not as if it's a huge investment. My recommendation would be to get it anyway, and if the group you want to play with are new to the game as well just stick with the rules in the box. Otherwise, get the small rulebook, browse Forces of War or FoW Lists to see what book has stuff you want to run, and then grab whichever book is most appropriate.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
That's a good point about the mini rulebook. But special rules! I'm coming from games where that can mean the difference between "meh" and "you sank my battleship". Is that not so much the case in FoW?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Depends what game you're coming from, but FoW is generally less special-rulesy than GW games, and lots less than Warmahordes.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

DiHK posted:

That's a good point about the mini rulebook. But special rules! I'm coming from games where that can mean the difference between "meh" and "you sank my battleship". Is that not so much the case in FoW?

Oh no, special rules can be ridiculous in Flames. One of my favorite things to do as an American player is to combine M4A3E8 "Easy Eight" tanks with M4A3E2 "Jumbo" Shermans. Here's how it works:

-All American tanks get a rule called Stabilizers. Normally, if a tank moves, their RoF is cut in half. American tanks can choose to ignore this, at the cost of a +1 penalty to hit (Which, statistically, is more likely to hit anyway).
-The M4A3E8 gets the Smooth Ride rule, which eliminates the +1 penalty from Stabilizers if the tank only moves 6". Goes great when combined with
-Jumbos Lead the Way, which allows Jumbo Shermans to circumvent the hit allocation system and (Usually) take the first hit that gets assigned to that platoon.
-Since Jumbos can only move 8" anyway as a Slow Tank, the combination of E8s and E2s allows you to trundle your tanks forward putting out a tremendous amount of firepower, while allowing your tanks to stay alive thanks to the Jumbo almost always soaking up the first shot.

Fun fact: Everybody except American players hates this, mostly because they're jealous.

Overall, the removal of special rules from Open Fire isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does make it a somewhat different game. Soviet tanks, for example, almost universally have a rule called Hens and Chicks, which gives them a +1 penalty to shoot if they move. The advantage to this is that Soviet tanks are almost universally really cheap (A basic T-34-76 is only 35 points in Late-War, compared to 65 points for a mostly-identical Sherman), and can be taken in larger numbers than everyone else. With Hens and Chicks removed from Open Fire, any Soviet list is obviously going to play much differently from the vast majority of standard Soviet lists. Whether this is a good or a bad thing is up in the air-obviously buying an army and learning it plays almost completely differently in the "real" game isn't exactly a great thing for a new player to learn, but on the other hand Soviets as-is are a very difficult army to start out with, both from a gameplay and a model count perspective. So yeah, the removal of special rules is definitely a big deal, though an understandable one.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

It's worth noting that Soviets get Hero lists that play more like other nations' lists, but they're poo poo so sack up and paint bajillions of little brown strelkovy like i do

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Forums Terrorist posted:

It's worth noting that Soviets get Hero lists that play more like other nations' lists, but they're poo poo so sack up and paint bajillions of little brown strelkovy like i do

What's particularly funny about the Soviet list in Open Fire is that just taken as-is, it's actually a much better list than the Hero Tankovy list from DM. The tanks are cheaper, you get more of them, and your support options aren't that terrible. Which should really tell you something about how terrible the Hero lists are.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

In fairness the Hero Motostrelk is actually pretty good from what I've heard but yeah, 3 tank platoons + no smoke + bad support options is not fun.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Arquinsiel posted:

Depends what game you're coming from, but FoW is generally less special-rulesy than GW games, and lots less than Warmahordes.

Both, really. I did war machine until escalation and hordes came out, at which point it got silly and not fun and I went back to 40k. 40ks 5th edition was sensible but then I took a long hiatus from games/hobby and I've come back to find GW trying to emulate PP.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Oh no, special rules can be ridiculous in Flames.

IMO both of those cases are within reason. The Jumbo thing is a little meta gamey, but it's completely appropriate from a fluff POV. The same goes for the hindering of poorly trained Russian tankers.

I've been 15mm historical curious for years but I never see DBM stuff outside of events. I do see FoW and I can sperg as much as any average goon about WW2. Maybe a little bit more spergy... like in the 80 percetiile.

So, what you're saying with the jumbos makes me think that playstyle is more about your list and not your nation. Are there any clear under dogs among the major powers?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I'm just getting into FoW. The engineer-sapper list from Red Bear is decent right? I was gonna run a company with 3 platoons, the second company with one platoon, two flamethrower platoons, 3x IS-2s and 3x ISU-152s.

Also what weapon teams should I bring with the infantry? Maxims, faustnikas?

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 22, 2015

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

DiHK posted:

Both, really. I did war machine until escalation and hordes came out, at which point it got silly and not fun and I went back to 40k. 40ks 5th edition was sensible but then I took a long hiatus from games/hobby and I've come back to find GW trying to emulate PP.

IMO both of those cases are within reason. The Jumbo thing is a little meta gamey, but it's completely appropriate from a fluff POV. The same goes for the hindering of poorly trained Russian tankers.

I've been 15mm historical curious for years but I never see DBM stuff outside of events. I do see FoW and I can sperg as much as any average goon about WW2. Maybe a little bit more spergy... like in the 80 percetiile.

So, what you're saying with the jumbos makes me think that playstyle is more about your list and not your nation. Are there any clear under dogs among the major powers?

Which list you're running is definitely a huge component of how you play. If there's any one power that's currently lacking, I'd say it's probably Soviets just from their lack of lists and zero Veteran options, but even then they can put up a number of extremely strong lists. I started playing Soviets about six months ago and if you know how to play them you can definitely bring down the hammer (And sickle :v:)

ghetto wormhole posted:

I'm just getting into FoW. The engineer-sapper list from Red Bear is decent right? I was gonna run a company with 3 platoons, the second company with one platoon, two flamethrower platoons, 3x IS-2s and 3x ISU-152s.

I'm not sure about Engineer-Sappers in particular, but I do know that IS-2s aren't particularly good. They've got decent armor and a hell of a gun, but RoF 1 absolutely kills their utility, no matter how useful Breakthrough Gun is. You'd probably be better off using a mix of T-34s and/or SU-85/100s. I am a fan of ISUs, though, particularly with V.S. Rat. I ran some in a game I played just a few nights ago, and Volley Fire is an absolute killer if you can get them close enough.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

ghetto wormhole posted:

Also what weapon teams should I bring with the infantry? Maxims, faustnikas?

It's really gonna depend on what you want to do with that particular platoon. Maxims are gun teams, which means that if you want to keep them alive you're going to want to keep them dug-in and not moving, same with Mortars. Faustinka teams are interesting, since they can't move and shoot, but they're also really good in assault against tanks. Of course, the nice thing is that you can choose which teams to swap based on what you're opponent's bringing, so you can always pick and choose what to bring based on what they're fighting, and whether you're attacking or defending. In general, if you're going against infantry, you'd probably want Pioneer MG teams and Mortars if you're attacking, Maxims and Mortars if you're defending. Tanks, PTRDs if you're attacking, Faustinkas if you're defending. But it's always going to be situational, so I'd just play a few games and swap stuff around depending on what seems to work.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I remember 21 Matildas and 10 Valentines(or just 31 Matildas) with some SU-85s(or 100s) being a pretty good list because Matildas can assault a lot of infantry freely because of their top armor 2.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I started playing Bolt Action and I really, really like it. I'm a Magic: The Gathering judge, so I rack up store credit pretty fast at my LGS. I've been talked into trying many miniatures games before this: Warhammer 40k, Warmachine/Hordes, Malifaux, etc., but other than X-Wing (which is a really light miniatures game) this is the first to really click with me. I picked up a box of Commandos and a Cromwell and have played four games so far. The only thing I don't like about the game is how my artillery works: In three games now (out of my four!), it's backfired on me and cost me the game because I rolled a 1 and my opponent got to move it on top of my guys. I don't like praying to not roll a 1 every turn, but I'm playing British so it's not like I'm not going to take the free artillery.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

BJPaskoff posted:

I started playing Bolt Action and I really, really like it. I'm a Magic: The Gathering judge, so I rack up store credit pretty fast at my LGS. I've been talked into trying many miniatures games before this: Warhammer 40k, Warmachine/Hordes, Malifaux, etc., but other than X-Wing (which is a really light miniatures game) this is the first to really click with me. I picked up a box of Commandos and a Cromwell and have played four games so far. The only thing I don't like about the game is how my artillery works: In three games now (out of my four!), it's backfired on me and cost me the game because I rolled a 1 and my opponent got to move it on top of my guys. I don't like praying to not roll a 1 every turn, but I'm playing British so it's not like I'm not going to take the free artillery.

That is dumb. Alot of dumb. Depending on the sort of artillery being used, it was rather accurate. This makes it sound like they are using civilians to fire the artillery.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

BJPaskoff posted:

Played my first game this past weekend and had a similar thing happen with my Brits. Only we were playing a scenario that had my troops came in on gliders. My first roll with the artillery dice came up a 1 and my opponent put it right in the middle of my bunched up troops, basically ending the game :smith:

My mistake was agreeing to have my guys come in on gliders instead of a normal deployment.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

DJ Dizzy posted:

That is dumb. Alot of dumb. Depending on the sort of artillery being used, it was rather accurate. This makes it sound like they are using civilians to fire the artillery.

This is a game that manages to be both better and worse with historical accuracy re: the Red Army than flames so I'm not surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Eh, you're talking about artillery miles away missing the intended target by a fraction of a percentage.

In today's laser-guided GPS smart bomb world, that's absurd, but a WW2 naval bombardment going 100 yards into the wrong line is probably why artillery wasn't used that way.