Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Moola posted:

I just want more people to play good games like x-wang and have fun :smith:

If people just wanted to play good games and have fun, that's what video games are for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

If people just wanted to play good games and have fun, that's what video games are for.

videos games are the worst right now.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
Seems to me that even the most soulless marketer would hesitate to introduce rules that made him sell less Big Awesome models. From a callous perspective I understand trying to milk money from Eldar fans with the triple codexes (150 bucks for rules. Schaudenfrued-a-riffic) and the ethics it implies, but to then also poison everyone's enjoyment of giant centerpeice models is baffling. Almost deliberate self sabotage.

Doctor Borris fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 21, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Studies suggest smarter than the average ham

http://imgur.com/gallery/Ukxrh

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

There is also a stuffy thread for old people to talk about suspenders and pink SS tanks.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

NTRabbit posted:

Studies suggest smarter than the average ham

http://imgur.com/gallery/Ukxrh

I find this study fascinating, and though this is has nothing to do with GW or its policies, would the study results have been similar if there were increasingly smaller but collectable bits of meat, numerous random electrical shocks, and finally random crows were shot with a D weapon?

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Doctor Borris posted:

Seems to me that even the most soulless marketer would hesitate to introduce rules that made him sell less Big Awesome models. From a callous perspective I understand trying to milk money from Eldar fans with the triple codexes (150 bucks for rules. Schaudenfrued-a-riffic) and the ethics it implies, but to then also poison everyone's enjoyment of giant centerpeice models is baffling. Almost deliberate self sabotage.

I think and this is going by what I said perviously, that GW think people will actually just collect the models because they look cool. Some people might, this I will not argue... but a huge amount of people buy them for their games.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Foul Ole Ron posted:

I think and this is going by what I said perviously, that GW think people will actually just collect the models because they look cool. Some people might, this I will not argue... but a huge amount of people buy them for their games.

As well as this, even if you think a Drop Pod looks like the dogs bollocks, why would you get 6, instead of an open one and a closed one.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Foul Ole Ron posted:

It's been discussed here before that if GW dropped all pretense of 40K The Game and just sold Objects of Jewel-Like Wonder for the modeling and painting set that their business would almost certainly implode because it's the idea that 40K is a game that you need to assemble armies for that gets people to justify buying 2,000 points of stuff instead of, like, one or two display models. If it weren't for the narrative of "but I need to build an army, otherwise why else am I paying for this crap?" then I highly doubt they'd stay in business.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kai Tave posted:

It's been discussed here before that if GW dropped all pretense of 40K The Game and just sold Objects of Jewel-Like Wonder for the modeling and painting set that their business would almost certainly implode because it's the idea that 40K is a game that you need to assemble armies for that gets people to justify buying 2,000 points of stuff instead of, like, one or two display models. If it weren't for the narrative of "but I need to build an army, otherwise why else am I paying for this crap?" then I highly doubt they'd stay in business.

Oh I totally agree with you. I think GW just are stringing everyone along and using the excuse of being a collectable company to blanket cover any rules/game problems.

Also, another player down in the bad thread. Basing it on the GW fans as a whole, do you think its representative of whats happening in general across the web?

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Also, another player down in the bad thread. Basing it on the GW fans as a whole, do you think its representative of whats happening in general across the web?

Pretty much, GW figures are falling, in spite of pumping out a vast amount of content over the last couple of years, and, personally, I've gone from getting every 6th Ed codex (just to have everything) to not wanting to touch them with a barge poll.

My Local Club is also now all warmachine and malifeaux, although since I got the IceStorm box, we're starting to play Infinity as well - we did play X-Wang but That Guy got 2 of everything before anyone else had started and kinda killed it before anyone else got into it.

The unfriendly local game store have gaming tables, and 40k is dwindling even there- and they loose a ton of money as they carry GW, historicals and railway stuff only.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I'm still going to finish painting the orks and Tau and Marines I've started, eventually, but yeah, I'm done with GW's poo poo. I still want my little force of female marines (only headswaps, no other changes) and my orks could potentially fit in Warpath or something, and maybe I can counts-as my Tau in another game.

But 40k is poo poo, and I'm tired of it.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Esser-Z posted:

I'm still going to finish painting the orks and Tau and Marines I've started, eventually, but yeah, I'm done with GW'poo poo.

Dude, I am there with you. I will still play 40k but I am sure as hell not giving GW anymore of my money.

EDIT: Also thinking about getting into Warma-hordes in time, it seems like a balanced system and PP seem like a good bunch of people.

That or OWNzone Bromander (thanks for that Bulb)

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 21, 2015

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I think you can still have a thread that's about modeling cool spacepersons and having fun narrative campaigns without it being a Bad Thread, you just have to not cup GW's nuts every step of the way (or ideally any step of the way). I still, despite everything, like the setting and moving the tiny marine dolls around a battleground, and I'm sure many folks feel the same way. What drags it down is when people come in to talk about how exciting the new Eldar codex is or how they ordered the limited edition or how they've given more money to Forge World than I have to Mazda.

At that point, you really are no longer a fan of the minis or the setting or the games, you are, specifically, a fan of the company. And that's not defensible in my book.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So does the new codex have any Terribad fluff?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I like the ridiculous metal album cover nature of the settting, and I enjoy the minis, but I can't justify the prices or supporting the company in general. I need another box or two of Marines to finish that project, then I'm done for good.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

JerryLee posted:

At that point, you really are no longer a fan of the minis or the setting or the games, you are, specifically, a fan of the company. And that's not defensible in my book.

Like the God Emperor, GW needs to die. When it does it can be re-born (bought up) into a decent company (hopefully) that actually makes playable games.

GW is the most ironic thing on this planet, its turned into an organisation (the Imperium) that praises it's cash cow product 40k(the Emperor) and become a decaying horrible large mess of company and game system.

Esser-Z posted:

I like the ridiculous metal album cover nature of the settting, and I enjoy the minis, but I can't justify the prices or supporting the company in general. I need another box or two of Marines to finish that project, then I'm done for good.

If you need them, get them from a FLGS or a 3rd party seller at least. Give the money to someone who actually deserves it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Or there's the other cool thread where we play... Bros of War? Also Broball, and Breadzone, and in the not too distant future Warbro.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

So does the new codex have any Terribad fluff?

I think they'd be hard pushed to beat the poo poo in Codex:Iyanden for that, but that's not getting posted; just the rules

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Foul Ole Ron posted:

If you need them, get them from a FLGS or a 3rd party seller at least. Give the money to someone who actually deserves it.
Oh yeah, I've always gotten my GW poo poo through a guy I know who runs a FLGS. Part of the reason I didn't stop was supporting him!

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Esser-Z posted:

Oh yeah, I've always gotten my GW poo poo through a guy I know who runs a FLGS. Part of the reason I didn't stop was supporting him!

Ah nice, does he run much magic the gathering in his place?

MOG seems to be the major bread winner in most shops and covers the costs better than the poo poo GW have imposed on FLG's.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Ah nice, does he run much magic the gathering in his place?

MOG seems to be the major bread winner in most shops and covers the costs better than the poo poo GW have imposed on FLG's.

Yeah, he does, and he's been doing great with it. Just also sells GW, so when I was into 40k I figured I'd give him the extra support,. Magic really is the lifeblood of FLGS, though.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
Imagine you were a small shop owner. Could you imagine if back in 2005 or 2010 you were a big GW fan and sunk thousands in stock and maybe made decent money with 40K and you had to deal with the sabotage of your main love of minis going on now? Why would any business guy own GW items of Wonderous Delight when the company literally BLEW UP THEIR SETTING WITH THE CLEAR STATEMENT EVERYONE DIED... and made you buy 300 bucks worth of books for it. That is literally a decent hooker for the cost of each book. Or a date with the one you love at a nice restraunt. Either / or.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Saalkin posted:

videos games are the worst right now.

bloodborne seems kinda neat

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
Endless legends has some good game play and some pretty diverse factions. A better version of endless space I dare say.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I know we're supposed to be hatin' on GW but I've also walked the wandering path of games the past few years. AHEM...

Dropzone Commander: i found it boring myself. Too literal rock/paper/scissor counter of the unit types. The models look bland but are well done and the starter set with the cardboard buildings is awesome, no need to dick around finding 10mm terrain for your first games. . Pricey, but some other dudes say they lowered the cost recently with plastic ranges. I have a UCM set collecting dust

Warmahordes: the warcaster dynamic is cool, powering the mechs is interesting, but I couldn't get into any of the factions and there seems to be a big tournament slant on the game where as I mostly beerhammer. The models have always looked a little wonky to me. I have a Cryx set collecting dust.

Infinity: i love the poo poo out of the rules, whenever it is I can figure out what the hell is going on. Waaaay too many loving weird special terms / unit names to keep track of but I played version 2 and 3 is out now and supposed to make the rulebook actually coherent and not just a document someone tossed through google translate from Spanish. Also anime is bad, which is I went with Haqqislam and now it is collecting dust (but only because no one plays Infinity near me).

Flames of War: another interesting concept but the 'pick an era' and overly complex force org thing turned me off. If you want a detail oriented or epic scale wargame or want to really sperg out about which (pink) panzer division to field it's a good bet though. Pricey again, but there's a few third party guys making 15mm stuff now. I think Battlefront (the guys who make it) are on a big plastic kit tear so it might be cheaper now. Recently sold my US set that was collecting dust.

Bolt Action: I'm playing the hell out of this right now. It's a great balance of "historical" with "man gently caress it I just want to have fun not argue the rate of fire advantage an MG42 had over a Vickers machine gun." It also favors smaller scale engagements, which is great for me since I don't have 4 hours to play warhams anymore. Also a lot of third party support for 28mm WW2 and about a jillion 1/56 or 1/48 scale model tank manufacturers makes it cheap as balls to field a force. The gimmick turn order die pull thing is actually neat in execution and makes shifting tactics a requirement.

X Wang / Armado: I'm interested in Armado, but there was an Xwang tournament going on at my LGS last week and jesus they had to keep track of a lot of little cardboard tokens and cards and poo poo to play a game. Sounds annoyingly complex, but I don't want to dismiss without trying a game.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Springfield Fatts posted:

X Wang / Armado: I'm interested in Armado, but there was an Xwang tournament going on at my LGS last week and jesus they had to keep track of a lot of little cardboard tokens and cards and poo poo to play a game. Sounds annoyingly complex, but I don't want to dismiss without trying a game.

nah xwang is hellavuh tight and easy to keep track of

you can make it super complex with upgrades if you want, but like someone said earlier, the base game is very straightforward

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The little wang chits are actually good. Imagine using dice to keep track of tokens, HP, and special abilities like we used to do for 40k. Then you knock one over and suddenly your tank has full HP again.

The nice thread about having a good time with your minis is actually the painting thread (either one). I only post questions in there but it's a chill place.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
painting thread is very chill indeed I like to lurk it a lot

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
I love Warmachine and I especially love how good the rules are. Also the balance. Bad casters win major events all the time. In the World Team Champs loving Poland took the gold playing Karchev the Terrible who is basically worse then Sisters. It's just an incredibly deep game.

I like this thread because it's not a nice place and we are not nice people here. It's like going to rehab, experiencing with others the confusion and disappointment I have in something I grew up with and now see falling apart. Before anyone starts bitching about RL analogies with drugs/relationships I have thousands of dollars in ham for this sandwich that could have paid for a pretty serious drinking habit.

Hey speaking of which how did TSR manage to go bankrupt so fast once it stopped caring. Was it because it was private? Were there some colossally bad investments? How is GW doing better?

Doctor Borris fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 21, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The most annoying, fiddly thing about X-Wang is target locks, otherwise if you've ever played a game on the same level of fiddliness as 40K then nothing about X-Wing is going to be even half that obtuse. It's a simpler game than Magic even, I would say.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Hm. ok i'm interested, now to see if I can sucker another nerd to go half with me as I go "rreeeeeerrrggggh" and move my TIE fighters around

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
please keep in mind you can make a REALLY small investment and still have fun games

I keep hearing about people who 'get into xwang' and drop like $200

you dont need to do this at all

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Moola posted:

please keep in mind you can make a REALLY small investment and still have fun games

I keep hearing about people who 'get into xwang' and drop like $200

you dont need to do this at all

I did this buuuuut you can buy, say, the base game for $40 and then buy like two other ships for $15 each and have a decent force ready to go. That'd get you like an X-Wing, Y-Wing and B- or A-Wing for the Rebels or two TIE Fighters and two TIE variants (Interceptors, Phantoms, Advanced, etc.) for the Imperials and bam, you're ready to go.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
the more I think about it, the more xwangs seems like the antithesis of 40k

cheap initial investment to get started

rules streamlined and easy to learn/remember/reference

fast games

makes you think

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
e: buttposted somehow, suck my dick Awful

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 21, 2015

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Borris posted:

I love Warmachine and I especially love how good the rules are. Also the balance. Bad casters win major events all the time. In the World Team Champs loving Poland took the gold playing Karchev the Terrible who is basically worse then Sisters. It's just an incredibly deep game.

Anyone who thinks Karchev is bad is an idiot.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Ellyuh gf saw me looking at xwang and is willing to try it with me. Not like that time she saw me looking at xxxwang.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

LordAba posted:

Anyone who thinks Karchev is bad is an idiot.

Well his name isn't Karchev the GREAT, c'mon man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Springfield Fatts posted:

Ellyuh gf saw me looking at xwang and is willing to try it with me. Not like that time she saw me looking at xxxwang.

I used to play it with my ex(wang)

very easy game to introduce non hardcore dorks into

• Locked thread