Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Okay thanks. I had read something about deduplication of credit inquiries for mortgage and car loans, and mistakenly thought that the same concept applied for credit card loans. I just read more about it and now I understand why that's not the case. I'll try to find out the typical range of credit scores that are approved for the cards I'm interest in to help narrow down which one I'll apply for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Uranium 235 posted:

Okay thanks. I had read something about deduplication of credit inquiries for mortgage and car loans, and mistakenly thought that the same concept applied for credit card loans. I just read more about it and now I understand why that's not the case. I'll try to find out the typical range of credit scores that are approved for the cards I'm interest in to help narrow down which one I'll apply for.
Look at the Barclay Arrival+ and Chase Sapphire Preferred cards for sign up bonuses and travel rewards. I was approved for the A+ with around your score, somewhere just over 700 (715 IIRC). That said I haven't been denied any card in the last 2 years, and my score was around ~690 originally 2yrs ago.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Between Freedom and Double Cash, you would be set. Amex Blue would be a nice touch, but right now you're just trying to get set up and not necessarily min/max. I don't think you'd have a problem getting either of those cards, but they may have small limits at first.

If you want to get some free sign up cash, Sapphire is nice but at no point is it really better than Double Cash unless you're traveling a lot and charging it to the Sapphire.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
Folks might want to check your AMEX offers, I had spend $20 on Amazon.com and get $20 back as a statement credit. You can usually buy an Amazon gift card for your account and get the statement credit for it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I keep going back and forth on this question and would love an outside opinion.

I have the Citi Forward card and get 5* points on dining out. It's my main card, haven't had any issues. My wife and I eat out a decent bit, so it has worked out great.

Worth mentioning I have an AmEx blue cash back card that I use for electronics that I want an extra year warranty on, but it's nice that if I forget the citi card covers that too.

I've been debating getting the double cash back card from Citi.

I could mix and match, but i tend to overspend if it's between two cards so I try to avoid that.

Basically, is 2% back better than 5* points?

Edit: at some point my math on points was that 100 points = $0.79. So on straight math the double cash card on a $100 transaction is $2.00 vs $0.79. But when it's dining obviously multiple the forward card by 5.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 20, 2015

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

I have the Citi Forward card and get 5* points on dining out. It's my main card, haven't had any issues. My wife and I eat out a decent bit, so it has worked out great.

Worth mentioning I have an AmEx blue cash back card that I use for electronics that I want an extra year warranty on, but it's nice that if I forget the citi card covers that too.

I could mix and match, but i tend to overspend if it's between two cards so I try to avoid that.

Edit: at some point my math on points was that 100 points = $0.79. So on straight math the double cash card on a $100 transaction is $2.00 vs $0.79. But when it's dining obviously multiple the forward card by 5.

Your dining expenses are probably not more than 10-20% of your overall spend? So a 2% cash back on everything card should be a big win.

I would try to exercise a little restraint and keep the 5% (the citi points kinda suck I think though? more like 4%?) on dining card in your wallet and use it just for eating out.

Personally though I use the Blue Cash Preferred to buy gift cards at the grocery store and get 6% back on $6000/year for amazon, eating out, whatever else. The bigger benefit is I get so many dollar-off-gas points for buying all those gift cards that I end up giving some away. Its got an annual fee, but if you come anywhere near 6000 at the grocery store it will more than pay for itself, not to mention I saved close to $700 in gas last year.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Totally depends on how easily you can cash out the points. By your math, 1 Citi point = ~0.008 so dining dollars on that card return approximately double than the Citi Double Cash. Most people managing their CCs have cards they specifically use for major types of purchases, as you've done with your Amex and electronics. If you spend more between multiple cards, you probably lose any extra value you would get but you should make a budget so you don't do that anyway.

Swingline
Jul 20, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

You should just use your Citi card for restaurants/bars if that's not too much of a pain. I have 3 cards (including the Citi 5x points you have) so that I get 5% on restaurants/bars (citi forward), 5% on grocery stores and amazon (sallie mae), 2% on everything else (citi DC). Citi points can be worth one cent each - they will allow you to redeem for that as a check towards your student loan or mortgage (doesn't have to be through citi), and they have gift cards that get you one cent per point. For example I get CVS gift cards since I spend a lot of money there anyway on personal care products. Also I think citi points are actually worth 1.2 cents each on travel (I never travel except for business so can't confirm).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I ended up going with the double cash card, and I'll just balance between them: Forward for eating out, AmEx for electronics, Double Cash for everything else.thanks everyone!

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
I'm looking for a card that preferably has: no foreign transaction fee, no annual fee, and has a chip/will be accepted around Europe. Based on the OP it looks like the BoA Travel Rewards meets the requirements, but was wondering if there is anything else that is decent?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

hbf posted:

I'm looking for a card that preferably has: no foreign transaction fee, no annual fee, and has a chip/will be accepted around Europe. Based on the OP it looks like the BoA Travel Rewards meets the requirements, but was wondering if there is anything else that is decent?

That's pretty much the best without an annual fee.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
The Capital One Venture Rewards card seems to be similar, but a better sign up bonus and $59 fee after the first year. Are they prone to waiving the fee if you ask/make a big deal about it?

DrCaptainSir
Jan 29, 2008
Spartacus
Hey folks. Looking to pay for tuition on a class. It's about 7k. And I'm gonna have to fly out somewhere and stay in a hotel for about 10 days to do an intense bootcamp thing for it.

With that said, I'm looking for something that has both a long term 0% apr and a really good air miles/hotel room rewards system. I've done some homework and I can't seem to find that old credit card rewards thread nor can I find my bookmark for it. And yes, I did use the search.

Anyway, I'm sure I have a bit of a unique situation which is why I'm posting about it. Basically I want to make a decent purchase with a card, not worry about interest for a while as I study and then when it comes time to travel (which wouldn't happen for 9-10 months), I can use the points I get from paying for the class to basically pay for my flight and in a perfect world they'd help me get a hotel room.

City Simplicity has a 21 month 0% apr, then they have a diamond preferred one but it doesn't seem like it's worth it. This doesn't have any kind of air miles/rewards but would be perfect for a long term 0% apr card.

CapOne's venture rewards is probably the best for me to save money on the flight and hotel stay as I'd be dropping 7k on the card, get the bonus 40k points and also get my points for the 7k I just spent. I'm not worried about getting the credit score hit for holding a high balance as I already have a house/car so I wont be making any of those insane purchases that require pristine credit anytime soon. I've also done some homework on how their points redemption works and it doesn't seem too bad.
It's on nerdwallet: http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/reward-program-reviews/capital-one-no-hassle-miles/

The only thing about the venture rewards is that it doesn't have a 0% apr time. Now what I could do is open the venture card, put the class on it. Then transfer the balance to a new simplicity card which would give me both benefits.

Do you guys think I should do that, or do you know of a card out there that can get me the better deal than these two?

asur
Dec 28, 2012
The City Simplicity has a 3% balance transfer charge and Capital One points seem kind of mediocre though I guess that depends on the exact use.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

The only card that I know of that might work for the balance transfer is the Chase Slate. It has no balance transfer fee and is interest-free for fifteen months. You won't double-dip the points because it's not a rewards card. Also, I think most rewards cards only give rewards for purchases, not balance transfers.

As far as a rewards card, look at the Barclaycard Arrival+ instead of the Venture. It earns slightly better (2.22% effective, vs 2%) and redemption is easier (you can redeem points against just part of a charge, whereas with the Venture you have to have enough points to cover the entire charge). One downside is that Barclaycard is fairly stingy with credit limits, relative to some other lenders.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
I got an offer for 50k points on the business version of the United Mileage Plus card. Isn't that what they usually offer??

asur
Dec 28, 2012
It varies between 40k and 50k I believe.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Insane Totoro posted:

I got an offer for 50k points on the business version of the United Mileage Plus card. Isn't that what they usually offer??

It's usually 30k.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Credit Cards that do things scare me and I have a very bare bones college student one from StateFarm whom is also my bank and car insurance. Am I not getting as much as I could be with this card?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

rizuhbull posted:

Am I not getting as much as I could be with this card?
I doubt you're running enough through it to really be too worried about these kinds of things. Just don't carry a balance and pay on time. Those two actions will put you in great shape when you're out of school and (hopefully) earning enough cash to flex your spending power with a better card.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I doubt you're running enough through it to really be too worried about these kinds of things. Just don't carry a balance and pay on time. Those two actions will put you in great shape when you're out of school and (hopefully) earning enough cash to flex your spending power with a better card.
I'm doing about 1k every other month that I pay for school with, but aside from that, yeah, no. I'd love to travel though and you always hear about travel miles. If i could get some of those, that'd be pretty nifty. Otherwise, yeah. I got my experian credit report last december, was 7 something but my credit history itself wasn't too long (as expected). Since I just finished my first year with a credit card, I think that's all pretty ok.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

You're at least not paying an annual fee, right?

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

You're at least not paying an annual fee, right?
No. Before Statefarm I was with TD Bank but just had a checkings and savings account and a debit card. I'm just wondering if there's more credit card stuffs I should look into to see if I'm getting all I could be, or in the right way for me.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

rizuhbull posted:

No. Before Statefarm I was with TD Bank but just had a checkings and savings account and a debit card. I'm just wondering if there's more credit card stuffs I should look into to see if I'm getting all I could be, or in the right way for me.

I wouldn't worry too much about min/maxing unless you're willing to spend literal days reading up on things, chasing down special offers, and churning cards (getting sign-up bonus, cashing out bonus, cancelling card, repeat).

If you just want to do better, I'd recommend you get a Citi DoubleCash card - it's the most straightforward way to earn above-average rewards. Then, get a card without foreign transaction fees if you intend to ever go internationally.

Since you mentioned you traveled, there are many cards that can pay off huge in being able to transfer credit card rewards points to frequent flyer miles and hotel loyalty programs. The Chase Sapphire Preferred is great for this, but it carries an annual fee, as do most of the other super high reward cards. You may not spend enough to see commensurate benefits.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

hbf posted:

Most everything we can get in American right now is Chip & Sig (though I guess WF has some Chip & Pin cards?). Anyway "the internet" says that you'll have problems with a Chip & Sig card in Europe, especially at unmanned terminals like in train stations.

However there's a goon in the Europe travel megathread that says he's had no problems with his Chip & Sig cards in Europe. The last 2 or 3 pages of that thread have been about paying for things in Europe. It can get confusing.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

Most everything we can get in American right now is Chip & Sig (though I guess WF has some Chip & Pin cards?). Anyway "the internet" says that you'll have problems with a Chip & Sig card in Europe, especially at unmanned terminals like in train stations.

However there's a goon in the Europe travel megathread that says he's had no problems with his Chip & Sig cards in Europe. The last 2 or 3 pages of that thread have been about paying for things in Europe. It can get confusing.

Did someone mention Chip + Signature? :shepspends:

If your American card has a chip on it, it'll work fine 99% of the time in Europe (as long as the place accepts credit cards in the first place)

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

FISHMANPET posted:

Barclays offers a few cards (namely the Arrival+ and Aviator) which have a Chip+PIN mode, although they will only do this if the terminal does not support Chip+Signature.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Small White Dragon posted:

Barclays offers a few cards (namely the Arrival+ and Aviator) which have a Chip+PIN mode, although they will only do this if the terminal does not support Chip+Signature.

Yep, and it takes a super spergy to purposefully get one of these cards purely for that benefit, because it's simply not necessary for 99.99999% of American/foreign visitors.

Maybe if you travel to France regularly and for some reason need to manually pay for tolls at old booths that take only PIN cards... :confused:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Man I hope this Chip stuff settles down by Summer 2016 when I actually go to Europe.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Man I hope this Chip stuff settles down by Summer 2016 when I actually go to Europe.
Both my AmEx and Wells Fargo cards already have chip and PIN and did just fine in Europe last month when I absolutely couldn't use cash.

Everything I've read about the supposed "October 2015" deadline is very nebulous. What I understand right now is that Visa and MasterCard are shifting liability to merchants that process fraudulent transactions with swipes after that month, so merchants will want to use chips by then. In theory every Visa and MasterCard should offer a chip option by then, but apparently it doesn't necessarily have to be chip and PIN, but could be chip and signature? This is all so weird.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Both my AmEx and Wells Fargo cards already have chip and PIN and did just fine in Europe last month when I absolutely couldn't use cash.

Everything I've read about the supposed "October 2015" deadline is very nebulous. What I understand right now is that Visa and MasterCard are shifting liability to merchants that process fraudulent transactions with swipes after that month, so merchants will want to use chips by then. In theory every Visa and MasterCard should offer a chip option by then, but apparently it doesn't necessarily have to be chip and PIN, but could be chip and signature? This is all so weird.

It gets more confusing because there's even a difference between online/offline PIN

Wells Fargo cards only support online PIN authentication, which doesn't really provide any additional benefit to you because any situation where a non-PIN card wouldn't work, an online PIN card probably wouldn't work either (where there's no active data connection for the payment terminal to authenticate you).

The US is gonna be Chip + Signature.

But I've used Chip + Signature in at least 13 different European countries doing a variety of types of transactions (including plenty of unattended automated machines) and it's worked fine 99% of the time.

For automated machines with no signature pad or anything, the transaction just goes through.

Don't sperg about it (like I do).

Asymmetric POSTer fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 23, 2015

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

The deadline is just for using EMV (the chip part).

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Small White Dragon posted:

The deadline is just for using EMV (the chip part).

No. There is no deadline for implementing EMV. There is a liability shift deadline. The party that does not support EMV (issuer if card doesn't have a chip, merchant if terminal is not chip-enabled) will be liable for fraud after the deadline.

Chip and Sig works everywhere that Chip and PIN works. The only exceptions are some unattended terminals that have not yet been updated, but those are being rectified and will be eliminated.

I posted an Ask/Tell about the payments industry a while ago - feel free to dig it up.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.

FISHMANPET posted:

the main thing I'm after is avoiding a 3% fee for foreign transactions, and an annual fee. a few of the recommended cards that have that (aside from the BoA card) don't even have chips. I'm guessing not having a chip is limiting?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

hbf posted:

the main thing I'm after is avoiding a 3% fee for foreign transactions, and an annual fee. a few of the recommended cards that have that (aside from the BoA card) don't even have chips. I'm guessing not having a chip is limiting?

It might be an issue in say, France. If you don't have an absolute grudge against Bank of America, their card is the best for % return, chip, and no annual fees.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apparently the BarclayCard Arrival+ comes with a TripIt Pro subscription. Who knew?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

My wife and I have applied to the first of a planned pair of Alaska Airlines cards to earn miles for an Asia trip next year. I applied first and got the Signature card with the 25,000 mile bonus. I then sent her a referral link so I could get the 2,500 mile referral bonus. So far so good. She just applied and was approved for a card at a credit limit of $1,800, which is either the Platinum Plus or the Preferred (she closed the window before I could see which :doh:). I assume this is because she's still a "student". She has an excellent credit score and she entered our combined household income of $76,500, but she's finishing her PhD so I'm guessing the "student" label kicked her down a tier.

Is this the kind of thing the recon line would be sympathetic to if we called? I'd really like to get her bumped up to the Signature card on this.

Also, I was going to have her apply for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select, but now I'm kinda spooked that we're gonna run into the same issue. How kosher is it to put that she's employed by the University instead of a student? She gets a W2 from them for some of her activities. I'm guessing she probably still needs to mark student.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Hi thread, I have a query. I read the OP and checked out the nerdwallet link which is great!

I just moved here from Australia. I have great credit in Australia and I fully understand that that is not transferable (it fuckin should be by the way! This is 2015! We have the internet!) and I am scared that applying for credit cards here is going to gently caress up my credit before I even get started. My husband has a United MileagePlus card so we applied for one of those so we could pool our points and I got knocked back because I haven't had a bank account very long (fair enough). So do I apply for another one or wait awhile? I guess I just don't know how to go about this, I worry that a scattergun approach is a very bad idea and will result in me having a lot of rejections on my file, even with secured cards. The guy at TD Bank where my checking account is told me that even those aren't "guaranteed" though he didn't see why I wouldn't get approved. Huh? I DONT KNOW! Is that how it works?

Any advice would be very much appreciated. I like the idea of a cashback card so I was thinking the CapitalOne Secured Mastercard might be the best with the regular reporting.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Doesn't being set up as an authorized user on his card essentially have that usage apply to his account while also bumping up your credit score?

It was my understanding (I am not a financial advisor) that this was how it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

Insane Totoro posted:

Doesn't being set up as an authorized user on his card essentially have that usage apply to his account while also bumping up your credit score?

It was my understanding (I am not a financial advisor) that this was how it works.

I'm not sure. It didn't ask for my social security number or anything. Just my name for the card and maybe my date of birth. So I'm not sure how that could work. Would be sweet if it did though! We have already requested that card, it's on the way.