Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
So basically he and Geralt don't like each other but both care about Ciri and want to keep her away from the other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Emperor doesn't give a poo poo about Ciri as a person from what I remember. Geralt and Yennefer, as her surrogate parents, do.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Senjuro posted:

So basically he and Geralt don't like each other but both care about Ciri and want to keep her away from the other?

The Witcher series is basically one epic and drawn out custody battle. A Battle of the Dads, if you will.

Pretty sure the Emperor does care about Ciri though. It's one of the reasons why he backs off from her in the end. Though apparently the Witcher 3 is running with him regretting that idea now.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 22, 2015

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

<generic rant about not using spoiler tags>

:smith:

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Archonex posted:

The Witcher series is basically one epic and drawn out custody battle. A Battle of the Dads, if you will.

Pretty sure the Emperor does care about Ciri though. It's one of the reasons why he backs off from her in the end. Though apparently the Witcher 3 is running with him regretting that idea now.

From what I remember doesn't he want to marry her? Or was that just his cover for sending out everyone to capture her?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

not interested unless at some point he says "your mother sucks dwarf cock", sorry

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

This is a pretty decent effort video by gamespot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi8tdetuz90

Some nice nostalgia for us 80s kidzzz as well.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

BBJoey posted:

not interested unless at some point he says "lesbomancy", sorry

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Got this free with my new GPU. I only played the fist one for a bit and the controls were so bad that I gave up, which is very unlike me.
I have the second in my library but other games take priority.

All that being said, I am quite excited for this even only watching a couple videos.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You should play the second one, it's a great game. It controls a lot better as well, though the tutorial is weirdly more difficult than what follows it for a while.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

child of prophecy

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
The end of Wild Hunt comes, and the King confronts Geralt. Based on what Sign you use the most during that fight, it results in a chromatically/graphically distinct ending where it's revealed that all the choices you've made over the last few games--saving Adda, preserving Saskia, rescuing Anais, finding Odrin--all meant nothing. Then the frozen times come, and everyone dies. The screen fades to black, and a message pops up:

quote:

Geralt has become a legend by ending the threat of the Wild Hunt. Now you can continue to build that legend through further gameplay and downloadable content!

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

OAquinas posted:

The end of Wild Hunt comes, and the King confronts Geralt. Based on what Sign you use the most during that fight, it results in a chromatically/graphically distinct ending where it's revealed that all the choices you've made over the last few games--saving Adda, preserving Saskia, rescuing Anais, finding Odrin--all meant nothing. Then the frozen times come, and everyone dies. The screen fades to black, and a message pops up:

Tell me the Geralt story!

Heliosicle posted:

From what I remember doesn't he want to marry her? Or was that just his cover for sending out everyone to capture her?

He wants to impregnate her because IIRC it is actually her child who will save the world and stuff.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't suppose there's been a preview of the skill trees, has there? I'm curious if alchemy is going to be as gloriously fun and powerful as it was in TW2. Becoming a demigod for like 20 minutes at a time and throwing insane bombs everywhere was the most fun build I had in that game. I don't have any idea if it was actually a good build or not, but on Hard mode, I was still cleaving through everything as long as I had a potion in my system (and I always did).

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrXxdy9Qgpk New video.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

:fap:

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
more: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/unveiling-the-gameplay-of-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/2300-6424536/

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Got this free with my new GPU. I only played the fist one for a bit and the controls were so bad that I gave up, which is very unlike me.
I have the second in my library but other games take priority.

All that being said, I am quite excited for this even only watching a couple videos.

Yeah, I'm excited for this even though I know very little about the Witcher at all. I haven't read the books, nor have I played the games because I don't have an Xbox or a computer powerful enough to play 2, but looking at the footage for this game makes me think I'll definitely be playing this one, especially since they said you don't need to have played the other games to fully enjoy this one. Though I am surprised they didn't do something like what Bioware did for Mass Effect and release a compilation of the first two games for consoles.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

I don't remember this coming up before: the quests you come across will be levelled, i.e you might find a level 20 quest when you're level 5. Sounds like its intended for you to come back to that quest when you're the right level and so you progress the story more and don't just hang around doing sidequests all game (although I guess you can do it there and then if you're good enough?).

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Heliosicle posted:

I don't remember this coming up before: the quests you come across will be levelled, i.e you might find a level 20 quest when you're level 5, meaning its intended for you to come back to that quest when you're the right level (although I guess you can do it there and then if you're good enough?).

Yep. In my experience a lot of quests can be done below-level, but some (like the monster hunts) will be very very difficult to do that way.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How hard is it to locate the quests I've come across that I'm now the right level for, as I progress? Do I have to linearly scan the map hovering over quest markers and check them each, or are they highlighted in some way?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Yep. In my experience a lot of quests can be done below-level, but some (like the monster hunts) will be very very difficult to do that way.

I liked the Witcher 2 system where every level up would take the same amount of XP so you'd never have to worry about low-level quests becoming pointless.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Subjunctive posted:

How hard is it to locate the quests I've come across that I'm now the right level for, as I progress? Do I have to linearly scan the map hovering over quest markers and check them each, or are they highlighted in some way?

The stuff that's just out in the world, like monster nests or whatever, aren't marked, you can see the level on the creatures when you look at them, so if you find something like that and the monsters are too hard, come back later. Though I find that I can do *most* of those sorts of encounters below-level if I'm patient. Quests themselves have their level marked in the journal.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

The stuff that's just out in the world, like monster nests or whatever, aren't marked, you can see the level on the creatures when you look at them, so if you find something like that and the monsters are too hard, come back later. Though I find that I can do *most* of those sorts of encounters below-level if I'm patient. Quests themselves have their level marked in the journal.

OK, so I should just make a note somewhere that there's a wyvern nest near the old millwheel, and remember to come back. I can probably do that.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

OK, so I should just make a note somewhere that there's a wyvern nest near the old millwheel, and remember to come back. I can probably do that.

It would be criminal if there weren't custom map notes.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
Just for note, that footage was actually recorded on PC despite the XBox logo.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
The game looks so pretty in 60 FPS.

Also, I hope this game has cool trolls in it somewhere.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I have a question about the Alchemy tree in The Witcher 2. The bottom half of the tree revolves around being poisoned. Is that having the status effect poisoned or is it a mistranslation and means having a toxicity level?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Jimbot posted:

I have a question about the Alchemy tree in The Witcher 2. The bottom half of the tree revolves around being poisoned. Is that having the status effect poisoned or is it a mistranslation and means having a toxicity level?

Having a toxicity level, but even that is badly put. You don't need a certain level of toxicity, one potion will suffice. That whole description, both in-game and in the manual, is just bad. Should have read "while under the influence of potions" or something.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I figured as much. I'm not a fan of that tree in general but a few of the skills are quite fantastic. I just wish you got more skill points. You have a shitload of skills with two levels to them and only get one skill point per level up. I forgot about that. Thankfully there are mods out there.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Djenje Frett? Really?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I dig what the video shows in regards to loyalties available to you. So do ya'll plan to help out the new ruling party, help out the rebels fighting for a free north or work for yourselves only? On the one hand, rebels are usually the good guys in games like this, on the other hand I've seen the people of the North when they were free and they were pretty much king shitlords.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Bort Bortles posted:

Djenje Frett? Really?

The games have always had weird little pop culture references in them. Hell, Witcher 2 has both a LoTR reference and, for some reason, a reference to the sequel of Wolfenstein 3D, Spear of Destiny. I mean, what?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

The games have always had weird little pop culture references in them. Hell, Witcher 2 has both a LoTR reference and, for some reason, a reference to the sequel of Wolfenstein 3D, Spear of Destiny. I mean, what?

What's the Wolfenstein reference?

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

NeurosisHead posted:

What's the Wolfenstein reference?

From this wiki page http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/The_Witcher_2_Easter_Eggs :

Witcher Wiki posted:

In Vergen, if Geralt loses the game of dice poker with Skalen Burdon, the dwarf will mention a character named Blazkovitz, who sought the Spear of Destiny. This is a reference to the main character of the Wolfenstein game series and namely to the expansion to Wolfenstein 3D: Spear of Destiny.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Problem Witchers?

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Having a toxicity level, but even that is badly put. You don't need a certain level of toxicity, one potion will suffice. That whole description, both in-game and in the manual, is just bad. Should have read "while under the influence of potions" or something.

On the topic of potions in W2, are there any mods that let you use potions like you could in Witcher 1? I almost never used them since important fights aren't telegraphed very well, so the few times they would have been really useful you can't prep to use them. Their incredibly short duration is even worse. Hoping that potions are more useful in W3...

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

I never caught that one, neat!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Guess I'm cancelling my pre-order. As the captain in the latest video is walking away he doesn't cast a shadow. That's some aggressive shadow distance culling there and despite marveling at how insanely good looking the rest of the video is I just can't reward this kind of bullshit slopwork. Jesus CDPR, what happened to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Guess I'm cancelling my pre-order. As the captain in the latest video is walking away he doesn't cast a shadow. That's some aggressive shadow distance culling there and despite marveling at how insanely good looking the rest of the video is I just can't reward this kind of bullshit slopwork. Jesus CDPR, what happened to you?

Something had to get cut to make room for all the sex mocap.

• Locked thread