Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

If the prosecutor wanted to shield their cop buddy, they'd just say "self-defense, no charges"

Come now, there might be political concerns that require them to at least make an effort.

In this case, maybe they were thinking they could get him for manslaughter and handled it incompetently, but they were only seeking manslaughter because they didn't think a cop deserved a real murder charge for shooting some potential criminals.

ActusRhesus, do you not think a situation like that would even be possible? That a prosecutor may press fewer charges than they might be able to succeed with because they feel some sympathy for the person being charged? Is that a thing that ever happens in your experience? (Maybe the situations where a prosecutor has some sympathy for the person they are going is uncommon and you don't have enough data to say, that's alright just say that if so)

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

ActusRhesus posted:

They may have wanted to prevent him from getting that "version" out at all. Also, the way most jury forms go, you have to be unanimous on the greatest charge before you can go on to lesser. So, at least here, if they had found the state proved nurder, but believed self defense, case is over. It looks like they made a charging decision based on trying to avoid jury sympathy and then he hosed it all up by going judge alone.

Except the "lesser" charge they tried to convict him of could not apply. Even if a claim of self defense was upheld he'd be in the exact same place. Only he'd have been cleared by a real trial, rather than a technicality.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

GlyphGryph posted:

Come now, there might be political concerns that require them to at least make an effort.

In this case, maybe they were thinking they could get him for manslaughter and handled it incompetently, but they were only seeking manslaughter because they didn't think a cop deserved a real murder charge for shooting some potential criminals.

ActusRhesus, do you not think a situation like that would even be possible? That a prosecutor may press fewer charges than they might be able to succeed with because they feel some sympathy for the person being charged? Is that a thing that ever happens in your experience? (I know the situations where a prosecutor has some sympathy for the person they are going after are probably pretty few, so maybe you don't have enough data to say)

I suppose it's possible to lower charges based on sympathy on all fronts. All this is really speculative. Here, however, the philosophy is generally to charge the offense warranted by the evidence and let the sympathy factor into recommended sentences or plea deals.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

DARPA posted:

Except the "lesser" charge they tried to convict him of could not apply. Even if a claim of self defense was upheld he'd be in the exact same place. Only he'd have been cleared by a real trial, rather than a technicality.

I guess I'm just not all that surprised about a faulty charging decision. Especially when it's hinging on negligent v reckless v intentional analysis. poo poo gets murky there.

Also, I really dislike the phrase "got off on a technicality" as applied to acquittals in any case.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ActusRhesus posted:

I guess I'm just not all that surprised about a faulty charging decision. Especially when it's hinging on negligent v reckless v intentional analysis. poo poo gets murky there.

Also, I really dislike the phrase "got off on a technicality" as applied to acquittals in any case.

You're making a decent case for prosecutorial fuckup here but it still sounds like this cop had a pretty sharp defense attorney - which could be yet more evidence of soft systemic bias, in that defendants who aren't cops might be less likely to have a sharp public defender.

Edit: it is no accident that your salary as prosecutor is higher than the salary of the defense attorneys you oppose.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 21, 2015

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Zeitgueist posted:

Is there any way there can be consequences for the DA in this, or are we in another "it's not a murder when a cop"

Radish posted:

We really need to figure out how to deal with prosecutors that work with people in order to let them get away with murder. It seems like a huge failing of the justice system that it keeps happening and everyone involved is like "yeah that's hosed up but what can you do?"
It's not really a thing you can have consequences for. Unless he sent a bunch of emails from his work computer saying, "Hey, I'mma spike this one because it isn't really a crime when you kill a brown" it's almost impossible to prove intentionally sandbagging a case, vs losing a case due to a reasonable mistake or bad strategy, vs losing a case because it was a weak case, vs losing a case because the jury sucked, or (most likely) some combination of the above. No one goes after public defenders for failing to get every single client off. Hell, no one goes after public defenders for getting more white defendants off than black ones, because its understood that there are other factors at play in the legal process which are not entirely under their control. Being mediocre at your job or making a mistake doesn't rise to the level of professional or criminal misconduct, especially in something like criminal trials, where (almost) every case has a loser and a winner, meaning that about half of the lawyers out there are battling less than .500

TURN IT OFF! posted:

I know nothing about law. Can you sue a lawyer for malpractice sort of like a doctor? If you can prove that incompetence cost you the case?
Even if you can, I don't think anyone is going to have standing to sue the District Attorney, because she represents the state, not the families of the victims.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 21, 2015

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

I think you'll find the quality of public defenders varies widely from state to state. As a cop he would not be an indigent so he had retained counsel. However, here many of our PDs are much more talented than private counsel. The notion of the ineffective public defender is completely incorrect in a lot of places. They may be under resourced, but talent wise ours are quite good.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You're making a decent case for prosecutorial fuckup here but it still sounds like this cop had a pretty sharp defense attorney - which could be yet more evidence of soft systemic bias, in that defendants who aren't cops might be less likely to have a sharp public defender.

Edit: it is no accident that your salary as prosecutor is higher than the salary of the defense attorneys you oppose.

No it's not.

That right there is part of the myth. Per statute, we are paid exactly the same in this state based on seniority. As a relative n00b most of my opposing counsel make much more than I do. If the prosecutors get a raise the PDs get a matching one. You are basing your opinion in part on things that are mistakes of fact.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 21, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ActusRhesus posted:

That right there is part of the myth. Per statute, we are paid exactly the same in this state. If the prosecutors get a raise the PDs get a matching one.

OK, fair enough for you, but what about wherever this cop is? In my state public defenders are paid significantly less, with drastically higher caseloads. It isn't really a myth if it is in fact often true. It isn't uncommon for SC public defenders to have as many has 500 cases on their open list.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

You made a generalization though. You said I, as a prosecutor, made more and I don't. You see where that creates an impression that maybe your information isn't complete? I agree some states do it better than others. I think ours is towards the front on that. So it's really not a US problem, it's a state problem. So maybe a more focused look at where the problems are, and how they can mirror the areas without problems is in order. Starting with no elected prosecutors and judges.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

ActusRhesus posted:

You made a generalization though. [...] You see where that creates an impression that maybe your information isn't complete?

Someone is generalizing their own limited experience in one place onto prosecutors operation in another area of the United States? Oh my! :ironicat:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ActusRhesus posted:

You made a generalization though. You said I, as a prosecutor, made more and I don't. You see where that creates an impression that maybe your information isn't complete? I agree some states do it better than others. I think ours is towards the front on that. So it's really not a US problem, it's a state problem. So maybe a more focused look at where the problems are, and how they can mirror the areas without problems is in order. Starting with no elected prosecutors and judges.

Doesn't mean my generalization was actually wrong though in the case of this particular cop - you're refuting one point but not my argument. Your state may be a special flower, but the perception of public defender inadequacy is based on a lot of actual real problems.

And at least to some extent the perception is itself part of the problem. Justice must be seen to be impartial.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

ActusRhesus posted:

Straw man. That wasn't what was said and you know it. They are high visibility because they involve police.

Bullshit. We've had police killings in LA for years and it's only starting to make the news again because it's a current issue and people are videotaping the gently caress out of police.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

How often to prosecutors make oopsies with non-cops?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

MattO posted:

Quite a bit but not in the favor of the criminal

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

MattO posted:

Based on all the stories I've heard from lawyers, all the loving time.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Zeitgueist posted:

Mistakes in favor of defendants happen too, but, from what little I've read, I feel that how this case went was an absolute travesty beyond most simple mistakes. It doesn't help the prosecutor's image that she had previously faced controversy due to her refusal to press charges in another officer's shooting.

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 21, 2015

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

tentative8e8op posted:

Mistakes in favor of defendants happen too, but, from what little I've read, I feel that how this case went was an absolute travesty beyond most simple mistakes. It doesn't help the prosecutor's image that she had previously faced controversy due to her refusal to press charges in another officer's shooting.

Jury Nullification.
Just fix the glitch.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

ActusRhesus posted:

Like pretty much ALL criminal law comes down to the letter of the law. See e.g. OJ Simpson, Michael Skakel, etc.

I definitely think of OJ when I consider trials that were purely about the letter of the law and nothing else.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2010/12/30/suit-police-removed-clothes-of-deceased-victim-took-photos/

quote:

CHICAGO (CBS) Cook County sheriffs police removed the clothes of a deceased accident victim and took photographs of her nude body along the side of the road, a lawsuit claims.

Jessica C. Mejia, 20, was killed in a Dec. 31, 2009, crash near 147th Street and Justamere Road in an unincorporated area southwest of Chicago. Responding Cook County Sheriffs police removed the dead womans clothing at the scene and took multiple nude photographs, according to a lawsuit filed Thursday in Cook County Circuit Court.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
I imagine you meant to link to today's update to that 2010 story?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/daily-southtown/news/ct-sta-mejia-lawsuit-st-0419-20150420-story.html

quote:

When the lawsuit was first filed, the sheriff's office denied it had taken naked photos of the young woman at the scene. Smith, who was not with the sheriff's office at the time, acknowledged the photos were taken but said it's "standard operating procedure" to photograph crime scenes.

quote:

One set of photos shows Mejia, lifeless, in the back seat of the vehicle: She is wearing jeans, a white T-shirt and high heels.

Other shots show her on a tarp on the ground, naked except for her lower undergarment.

Oh, you meant THOSE naked accident scene photos.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
Why do cops hate cameras so much?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-J-6SkuKJ0

There must be some reason, maybe they think photographs steal souls.

Oh, here's the news story that goes with it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQEGMVzGLWo

VVVVVVV Maybe they should learn to use their words like big boys.

Spun Dog fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 21, 2015

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Spun Dog posted:

Why do cops hate cameras so much?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-J-6SkuKJ0

There must be some reason, maybe they think photographs steal souls.

Oh, here's the news story that goes with it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQEGMVzGLWo

It seems to me less like they're concerned about being filmed and more upset that the woman keeps lecturing them and wanted to lash out in response. Still a hosed up thing to do.

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
From this link:

quote:

TULSA, Oklahoma - A Tulsa County Sheriff Reserve Deputy charged with second-degree manslaughter made a court appearance Tuesday morning.
Bob Bates entered a not guilty plea to second-degree manslaughter in a District Court hearing that lasted about two minutes.

Bates does not deny shooting Harris, but his attorney Clark Brewster entered the not guilty plea as is routine in such cases.

Brewster also requested Bates be able to leave the country for a vacation the family had planned to the Bahamas, and the judge agreed.

The reserve deputy was charged following the April 2, 2015, fatal shooting of Eric Harris, 44, during an undercover gun sting operation outside a north Tulsa Dollar General store.
The sheriff's office said Bates, 73, thought he had pulled a stun gun, rather than his firearm when he shot Harris.

On April 13, the Tulsa County DA's office charged Bates. The next day, Robert Bates turned himself at the Tulsa County jail and was released on a $25,000 bond.

:pram:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
That isn't uncommon for people on bail, fyi.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't want a silly little thing like a manslaughter charges ruining a vacation.

Do the Bahamas extradite to the U.S.?

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Yes

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/71600.pdf

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Yep. But I'm guessing they assessed that he isn't likely to represent a flight risk anyway.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
If I were rich enough to make bail on a charge like that, I'd just Bob Durst it. Goodbye bail money, hello Cuba.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

VitalSigns posted:

It's amazing how inept prosecutors suddenly become when a cop is the defendant.

poo poo happens though, nothing to see here.
No you see it was just a Bad Apple from the prosecutor barrel.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

PostNouveau posted:

If I were rich enough to make bail on a charge like that, I'd just Bob Durst it. Goodbye bail money, hello Cuba.

If he did try this, it would be hilarious if, in the effort to continue bettering relations, Cuba extradited him back to the US

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/08/nyregion/grand-juries-seldom-charge-police-officers-in-fatal-actions.html

quote:

The whole process is really reluctant to criminalize police behavior, said Eugene ODonnell, a former prosecutor who teaches at John Jay College of Criminal Justice in Manhattan. The grand jurors are, the jurors are, the judges are, the appellate courts are.
http://www.hrw.org/legacy/reports98/police/uspo31.htm

quote:

There is a natural conflict of interest when district attorneys - who typically work closely with the police to bring cases against suspected criminals - are faced with prosecuting those same officers. District attorneys count on officers' testimony to support their cases during trials of alleged criminals. There is a particular reticence in bringing charges against officers who have been "productive" and who have worked closely with the district attorney's office. In some jurisdictions, district attorneys are elected and are aware that the powerful police unions and their supporters may withdraw their support if a police officer is prosecuted.
http://www.thenation.com/article/190937/why-its-impossible-indict-cop

quote:

The Graham analysis essentially prohibits any second-guessing of the officers decision to use deadly force: no hindsight is permitted, and wide latitude is granted to the officers account of the situation, even if scientific evidence proves it to be mistaken.

Not surprisingly then, legal experts find that there is built-in leeway for police, and the very breadth of this leeway is why criminal charges against police are so rare, says Walter Katz, a police oversight lawyer who served on the Los Angeles County Office of Independent Review until it disbanded in July of this year. According to Erwin Chemerinsky, dean of the UC Irvine Law School, recent Supreme Court decisions are not a path towards justice but rather a series of obstacles to holding police accountable for civil rights violations.

quote:

What about internal affairs investigations? On television they are aggressive, dogged, uncompromising. In real life they tend to insulate the police from serious external sanction. I stopped cooperating with the IAB ten years ago, says Jason Leventhal, a former assistant district attorney in Richmond County, Staten Island who now works as a civil rights litigator, often suing the police. IA will never, ever credit the claim of police abuse. They hide witnesses, they push witnesses around. The only time I cooperate with them is when I know I have their hands tied behind their back.
http://www.policemisconduct.net/the-problem-with-prosecuting-police-in-washington-state/

quote:

For a comparison we can use data from our National Police Misconduct Statistics and Reporting Project (NPMSRP) which tracked over 8,300 credible reports involving allegations of police misconduct in the US from April of 2009 through December 2010 which involved nearly 11,000 law enforcement officers within those 21 months. Of those reported allegations, only 3,238 resulted in criminal charges against law enforcement officers. Of those 3,238 criminal cases against law enforcement officers in the US, only 1,063 officers were ultimately convicted of those charges or reduced charges associated with the original allegations. Of the law enforcement officers who were ultimately convicted, 36% were ultimately sentenced to spend any time incarcerated and the average length of incarceration for those sentenced to prison or jail was approximately 34.6 months.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

PostNouveau posted:

Wouldn't want a silly little thing like a manslaughter charges ruining a vacation.

Do the Bahamas extradite to the U.S.?

You understand you don't have to ask permission to skip bail, right?

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

nm posted:

You understand you don't have to ask permission to skip bail, right?

Is turning over your passport not standard?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Guys, defendants being treated with basic dignity before being convicted of a crime isn't the problem with cases like this.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

DARPA posted:

Even if it were, "I don't have/lost my passport" is not a hard sentence to say.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Zeitgueist posted:

Source? Because I've seen plenty of acquittals during to prosecutor gently caress ups.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

nm posted:

That isn't uncommon for people on bail, fyi.

This.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

ActusRhesus posted:

Source? Because I've seen plenty of acquittals during to prosecutor gently caress ups.

That statement was too absolute. I'll walk it back to "yes but not nearly as often in favor of the criminal" as when its a cop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

DARPA posted:

No. Real life is not like movies. Only happens if they see a flight risk.

Also, jesus, not even lawyers are safe in the courthouse:
http://thefreethoughtproject.com/swarm-philly-cops-beat-public-defender-client-courtroom/

• Locked thread