Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I feel like it's unfair to mention that without pointing out that Shaman King also was also basically canceled and he only got so many chapters to finish the story; Even with an extra chapter (or was it more?) in the volume release it was never really finished.

Then the Sequel had the same thing happen too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Covok posted:

Ok, in spoiler tags, how does it end? To make Naruto's ending look good, it must have sucked hard enough to pull a bowling ball through a garden hose.

Hao, the main characters evil twin brother who is also a reincarnation that has been trying to become god for over a 1000 years, just straight up becomes God. He becomes god because the main group flatout gives up because their Power Levels were too low (only ~150k), keep in mind this is off a fresh powerup where they all did some crazy stuff like realize their spirit was their dead girlfriend reincarnated or died and gave up their vision to come back to life, compared to Haos 1m+. So he becomes God and is going to destroy the planet until the Main character makes Hao's mom show up and tell him to stop being a poo poo. He agrees to give Earth a 2nd chance.

Kild fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 22, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Hi guys. I threw my effort posts here: https://manuelamalasanya.wordpress.com/

New effort posts from me to come soon-ish. Thanks for reading!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
To all the Shaman King ending posts, I now realize how good Naruto ended. Jesus Christ.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Kild posted:

the main group flatout gives up because their Power Levels were too low

wow

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Dragon Ball is the best shonan whatever and I'll be hosed if I as a 28 year old male ever watch something involving magical pre-teen girls.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

facebook jihad posted:

Dragon Ball is the best shonan whatever and I'll be hosed if I as a 28 year old male ever watch something involving magical pre-teen girls.

I'm amused by how perfectly the existence of GT fits into this mindset.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I kind of jumbled it up they were going to give up but then they went through with it,They did give up on the tournament which let him become God since his power level was too strong. So they try and attack him while he's becoming God. Going through the trial of 5 native americans to reach him before he became god. They're too slow also because they're weak wind up getting there too late die in 1 hit. Then they have a chapter of the main character and villain chatting at how terrible humans are. Then they got a powerboost and lose again. Until the main characters girl friend shows up with a train of everyone and their family. (Everyone died and got absorbed)

http://www.mangapanda.com/138-30754-1/shaman-king/chapter-298.html

Kild fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 22, 2015

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Honestly, it's almost admirable how much this fucks with conventions.

"You can't win this fight, the villain is just too strong!"
"Well then, guess Earth is hosed, I'll be at a bar, waiting for end."

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The sequel pretty much just stuck with that tone while it was still going. It was basically just a giant "hey so shonen cliches don't really work in modern japan" before it turned into... a thing.

"This is a constitutional country. Do you know what happens when you kill someone? You go to loving jail!"

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Xibanya posted:

Cool beans, looking forward to the rest.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 22, 2015

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

facebook jihad posted:

Same but 29. The only thing better than Dragon Balls is Jaco which is still Dragon Balls and Dr Slump. No magical pre-teens there just cool scientists and robots.

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

I CONJURE THIS INTREPID FANTASYSCAPE WITH TEARS BLED FROM THE WISDOM-WEARY EYES OF FIFTY THOUSAND IMAGINARY MAGICIANS
I just watched Battle of Gods for the first time - firstly, what a fun movie! So excellent to see characters goofing around and doing just people stuff at Bulma's party.

Secondly, I noticed a lot of blue effects when Goku was getting the God Ki in his body, could the blue hair in SSGSS be a reference to that?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Xibanya posted:

New effort posts from me to come soon-ish. Thanks for reading!

Keep up the good work. Also, are you going to put your Goku vs Superman posts there too?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Seriously, though, it's pretty fantastic how goons are going on about how Dragonball is great for not involving magical preteens.

Yes, you're in your late twenties and like Japanese children's cartoons. Stop being so goddamned insecure about it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
lol that is the lamest rationalization ever.

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
Can I be name changed to GOKU'S BABY PENIS please? Because jfc there was more nudity in Dragonball than The Witcher.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I'm a grown man who watches children's cartoons BUT I can't have people thinkin' I'm gay or something so I ony watch shows about men.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
It's not like Madoka is some creepy sex pervert show jfc

For those you have to watch Toonami after DBZ Kai ends

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Mraagvpeine posted:

Keep up the good work. Also, are you going to put your Goku vs Superman posts there too?

YOUR WISH HAS BEEN GRANTED

https://manuelamalasanya.wordpress.com/2015/04/22/superman-vs-goku/

:v:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I really dig your blog, even if I don't completely agree with all of what you said. I am also really looking forward to more art analyses.

I get way to much entertainment out of people writing essays about DBZ. I've been desperately searching for a good DBZ podcast too, since the only two I know, Kanzenshu and Next Dimension, are not really what I am looking for.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zedd posted:

Goku vs Cell was alao pretty drat awesome.
One of the best fights in the series.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

e X posted:

I really dig your blog, even if I don't completely agree with all of what you said. I am also really looking forward to more art analyses.

I get way to much entertainment out of people writing essays about DBZ. I've been desperately searching for a good DBZ podcast too, since the only two I know, Kanzenshu and Next Dimension, are not really what I am looking for.

Glad to be of service. In what ways do you disagree? We could do this thing I've heard about, "debate and discuss," it's all the rage these days. :haw: But I agree, I get a huge kick out of long essays about pop culture stuff that I like.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I was rereading the effort posts and I was looking at the Sandman part when a thought occurred: couldn't the odd flow be because it's a dream? Perspective in a dream can be screwy as hell.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Darth Walrus posted:

Seriously, though, it's pretty fantastic how goons are going on about how Dragonball is great for not involving magical preteens.

Yes, you're in your late twenties and like Japanese children's cartoons. Stop being so goddamned insecure about it.

Yeah...no. DBZ is a show I watched and enjoyed as a kid, and I have a nostalgic tie to it. Actively watching little girl animes designed for teenagers in my late 20s is not even close to the same thing.

But hey, watch what you want. Who am I to judge

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Mraagvpeine posted:

I was rereading the effort posts and I was looking at the Sandman part when a thought occurred: couldn't the odd flow be because it's a dream? Perspective in a dream can be screwy as hell.

I see your point, but let's consider the first page. If we want to focus on how terrified the bespectacled guy is, we should have more shots focusing on his unbalanced mental state. You can see that the intent to do so was there, but the execution is poor - the scared guy's poses are too realistic and too suble, and his third portrait doesn't communicate much at all. If I were re-drawing it, I would make his poses much more exaggerated. Furthermore, even if it were a dream (it's not, the protagonist is nigh powerless at this point) we should know the physical relation of the characters. The flow of the gaze is also just not there.

The 2nd page I put up does have an OK flow, but the choices of poses and what to focus on were poor, since the same story could have been told with more clarity OR more intensity, but we just kinda get blah. I mean why have three portraits of the same guy from the same angle with only minutely different expressions? It seems like a lazy choice and/or a poorly executed one.

Now I'm not always down on American comics. Here's an American comic with excellent blocking, composition, and flow:

Look at how that directs your eyes. Good stuff. :911:

And lest you think I'm biased toward the cartoony, here's another American comic (this is from "Habibi")

And here's a Spanish comic, Mortadelo y Filemón :spain: Again, great poses and flow.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I say to you, the story of Scrooge McDuck and how he became who he is made for a kickass read. Scrooge rules. I wish Goku and Scrooge were friends.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Shinjobi posted:

I say to you, the story of Scrooge McDuck and how he became who he is made for a kickass read. Scrooge rules. I wish Goku and Scrooge were friends.

Man a journey to the west-themed Ducktales episode would have been fuckin' boss too. It would have been right up the show's alley.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Shinjobi posted:

Given the talking animals in Dragon Ball this is an entirely feasible thing.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

If you ever wanted to watch Scrooge McDuck fight Vegeta now is your chance.

Amorphous Blob fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 22, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Vegeta may know how dodge but he sure can't duck.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Shinjobi posted:

Scrooge can also be someone you really don't want to piss off when it looks like you have him down and out

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

e X posted:

I actually bought and enjoyed THIS, and was texting passages from it to people both ironically and unironically the whole time. :haw:

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Amorphous Blob posted:

If you ever wanted to watch Scrooge McDuck fight Vegeta now is your chance.

Well I didn't but now that I can I sure as gently caress do.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

MCDuck wins

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

facebook jihad posted:

Yeah...no. DBZ is a show I watched and enjoyed as a kid, and I have a nostalgic tie to it. Actively watching little girl animes designed for teenagers in my late 20s is not even close to the same thing.

But hey, watch what you want. Who am I to judge

:wtc: You say you don't judge following a sentence where you judge. Are you just inept at language or doing it on purpose?

achillesforever6 posted:

Scrooge can also be someone you really don't want to piss off when it looks like you have him down and out

This scene and the following scene is my favorite Duck moment, with pianos flying (with their pianist still attached) and him tearing a giant steam boat apart.

Seriously, you don't gently caress with Scrooge McDuck.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Mortadelo is certainly the last thing I expected to see on SA's Dragon Ball Z thread.

Xibanya posted:

Now I'm not always down on American comics. Here's an American comic with excellent blocking, composition, and flow:

The Ducktales comics are european, are they not?

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Mordaedil posted:

This scene and the following scene is my favorite Duck moment, with pianos flying (with their pianist still attached) and him tearing a giant steam boat apart.

Seriously, you don't gently caress with Scrooge McDuck.

Also:

"Sir! Look out for that tower!"
"What, is there a sniper up there?"
"No sir, I mean look out for the tower!"

Petiso posted:

The Ducktales comics are european, are they not?

This is from Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck by Don Rosa. He's certainly American.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Ah, true, both him and the late Barks are indeed american, since those comics are so popular in northern Europe I was under the assumption they were europeans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Don Rosa was legit my idol when I grew up. His stories are absolutely amazing.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I literally don't care about \ have never heard of half of those things.

You're reading My Hero Academia though right

• Locked thread