Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Moola posted:

I used to play it with my ex(wang)

very easy game to introduce non hardcore dorks into

X-Wing is an easier sell than Armada will be, just a heads-up. Armada IS a fiddly sort of game moreso than X-Wing, so if your decision hinges on being able to introduce a game to friends who aren't, as Moola says, hardcore dorks then go with X-Wing and wait on Armada until you know you have someone who's as into the idea of Star Wars capital ship battles as you. Plus X-Wing's cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Moola posted:

the more I think about it, the more xwangs seems like the antithesis of 40k

cheap initial investment to get started

rules streamlined and easy to learn/remember/reference

fast games

makes you think

poo poo fluff. I mean "boo hoo, I'll turn evil because I can't marry a princess". What the gently caress.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

LordAba posted:

poo poo fluff. I mean "boo hoo, I'll turn evil because I can't marry a princess". What the gently caress.

Amusingly enough FFG seems to be completely ignoring the prequels. They'd rather make new ships from the deepest, most obscure corners of the EU like the K-Wing and ships from 13 year old RTS games than bring Anakin Skywalker into the game.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
All I know is I saw the IG 2000 and was SOLD

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Kai Tave posted:

Amusingly enough FFG seems to be completely ignoring the prequels. They'd rather make new ships from the deepest, most obscure corners of the EU like the K-Wing and ships from 13 year old RTS games than bring Anakin Skywalker into the game.

FFG aren't the only ones who want to ignore the prequels like they never happened

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Springfield Fatts posted:

All I know is I saw the IG 2000 and was SOLD

The IG-2000 is currently a real popular ship and dual IG-2000s (the ship comes with all four IG-88s and a card that lets them network their abilities because droid hivemind) is a popular list at the moment. They're the only large sized ship in the game that's relegated to a standard fixed forward firing arc but they're super, super maneuverable to the idea is that you pull insane stunts in your robo-hotrod and blast the hell out of people with your insane space drifting skills.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

LordAba posted:

lol

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

The IG-2000 is currently a real popular ship and dual IG-2000s (the ship comes with all four IG-88s and a card that lets them network their abilities because droid hivemind) is a popular list at the moment. They're the only large sized ship in the game that's relegated to a standard fixed forward firing arc but they're super, super maneuverable to the idea is that you pull insane stunts in your robo-hotrod and blast the hell out of people with your insane space drifting skills.

this sounds awesome

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
who would win in a race?

Han from fast and furious

or Han Solo????

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
The level of denial in the Bad Thread is hurting my brain

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
The most fiddly thing about xwing is actually the minis themselves. Bump a mini out of place or be too lazy about your own movement, or move through like 3 guys and lay that template down and bump poo poo everywhere and watch a hardcore dork go nuts

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
so i haven't handled any of the official models but I have a bag of the old micro machine star wars toys and :lol: if they are the same scale and it means I have a bunch of free ships laying around

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Moola posted:

this sounds awesome

Seriously, imagine this thing

suddenly pulling a hard 90-degree bank before swinging around in a space bootlegger's reverse and oh poo poo, its guns are locked right on you. Try to get behind it? Have fun with that proximity mine, rear end in a top hat. Try to come at it from the side? Surprise pop-up blaster! Or maybe he'll just use Inertial Dampeners to stall in place and let you overshoot him before lighting you up.

Also there are two of them and they share their unique pilot abilities because he's a droid and gently caress you.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

I don't think their license covers the prequels.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Springfield Fatts posted:

so i haven't handled any of the official models but I have a bag of the old micro machine star wars toys and :lol: if they are the same scale and it means I have a bunch of free ships laying around

rad

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Renfield posted:

Pretty much, GW figures are falling, in spite of pumping out a vast amount of content over the last couple of years, and, personally, I've gone from getting every 6th Ed codex (just to have everything) to not wanting to touch them with a barge poll.

My Local Club is also now all warmachine and malifeaux, although since I got the IceStorm box, we're starting to play Infinity as well - we did play X-Wang but That Guy got 2 of everything before anyone else had started and kinda killed it before anyone else got into it.

The unfriendly local game store have gaming tables, and 40k is dwindling even there- and they loose a ton of money as they carry GW, historicals and railway stuff only.

Just curious but is this Northern Virginia since it sounds similar to what's happening here, right down to the unfriendly store that stocks mostly historical and rail poo poo.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

vuk83 posted:

It might not, I don't know how it works especially with Disney in charge of the IP now. I know they just reupped their license with a provision to cover the upcoming sequels so you can expect to see stuff from that make its way into X-Wing and Armada probably.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Yeah I've taught some people X-Wing who aren't huge wargaming people. It reminds me of Rocketmen which was a game I loved the poo poo out of (but is long out of print).

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

The X-Wing starter set actually showed up in Meijer (Midwest big-box grocery/stuff chain) here. Tempted to pick it up sometime.

Also IG-88 sounds super fun. ROBOTS FOREVER!

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 22, 2015

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Radish posted:

Just curious but is this Northern Virginia since it sounds similar to what's happening here, right down to the unfriendly store that stocks mostly historical and rail poo poo.

No, I live in Rochester, Kent, In the UK, and the store is unfriendly as they conned be out of £3.5k, and tried to get another £20- but I got legal advice before getting in that deep

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

LordAba posted:

Anyone who thinks Karchev is bad is an idiot.

There are a fair number of Sister of Battle enthusiasts too. I would like to make that point. There Aren't a lot of Sisters in top GW tournies. Wait are there still thoses???

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Sisters are rad as hell, so of course GW has basically entirely ignored them for years.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Esser-Z posted:

The X-Wing starter set actually showed up in Meijer (Midwest big-box grocery/stuff chain) here. Tempted to pick it up sometime.

This is interesting because when I was young it was the cool GW games like Warhammer Quest or Battle masters that initially got me hooked on miniatures. Cheap fun intro packs like in Xwing are important for long term hobby life. That is *** why wizards stocks magic at Target and sleeps comfortably at night on a giant pile of money.
EDIT *one of the many reasons*

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

I didn't play any x-wang beyond the starter pack but goddamn i want to x-wang again.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I don't X-Wang because I don't like vehicle/ship combat, but it still sounds tempting.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Renfield posted:

No, I live in Rochester, Kent, In the UK, and the store is unfriendly as they conned be out of £3.5k, and tried to get another £20- but I got legal advice before getting in that deep

Wait what

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

Nobody remembers the Lambda Shuttle. :colbert:

Iggy-88 is awesome though. X-wang is awesome. It may be the best miniatures game I've ever played. It is indeed the natural antithesis of 40k.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
I paid 3.5k for a Ton of bankrupt stock, when a model shop in Tonbridge went under, which we agreed would be sold though there shop, giving me half - except they never gave me half - they made One payment of just over £100 to the business bank account I set up.

We where planning on going into partnership, for new, larger premises, that they couldn't afford to do on there own, as they had stock but not cash.

They apparently had between 20 and 50k of stock/fittings (depending on how much money I had to invest), but no free cash for deposits etc.

I took legal advice, best £200-for-an-hour I ever spent, as I'm not Completely stupid, and found out in a 3 way partnership, legaly a majority can vote someone out,
and figured they'd use me and my cash to build a FLGS (and you can bet I would have had everyone playing there), and then voted me out, taking my money totally legally.

What they did wrong, as they are Bad con artists is, they didn't pay me the money they took for the 3.5k stuff they where selling.
If they had, I'd probly now be either shilling for them, or out a gently caress Ton of money.

(edit)
oddly, they moved to the larger premises without my cash anyway, even though they totally couldn't do that without my money.

(edit again)
They (being careful not to name anyone for legal reasons) wanted my kids entire Collage fund and all my savings for something they did anyway, but totally couldn't afford without my investment.

Renfield fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 22, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

vuk83 posted:

Pretty sure it does. There is plenty of prequel stuff in the RPG series including races (players can be Kel Dor, Toydarians, Nautolans, etc), ships (Anakin's shitbox stolen spice freighter for example), battle droids, nexu and more.

One of the adventure modules even features a hunt for a long-lost Separatist treasure frigate as a central plot point.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Renfield posted:

You needed legal advice to figure out that you shouldn't buy GW products?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Galaga Galaxian posted:

One of the adventure modules even features a hunt for a long-lost Separatist treasure frigate as a central plot point.

Haha I GMed that module and loved having my players deal with all the bullshit animals in that one

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Renfield posted:

I paid 3.5k for a Ton of bankrupt stock, when a model shop in Tonbridge went under, which we agreed would be sold though there shop, giving me half - except they never gave me half - they made One payment of just over £100 to the business bank account I set up.

If they're still a going concern, I assume they owe you several thousand pounds. When is your court date?

quote:

I took legal advice, best £200-for-an-hour I ever spent, as I'm not Completely stupid, and found out in a 3 way partnership, legaly a majority can vote someone out,
and figured they'd use me and my cash to build a FLGS (and you can bet I would have had everyone playing there), and then voted me out, taking my money totally legally.

In the US, joint owners would protect themselves from this sort of idiocy with contracts. Is it not the case in the UK? Because that's bizarre and insane.

In particular, the money that someone brings to a company as capital is treated differently from the "ownership" that a joint partner brings to the table as a joint owner; in the former case, a contract can specify and dictate the terms of that money (e.g., is it a loan, or a purchase of ownership, or what), while the latter is mostly concerned with liability: whose rear end is on the line when the company owes money.

quote:

What they did wrong, as they are Bad con artists is, they didn't pay me the money they took for the 3.5k stuff they where selling.
If they had, I'd probly now be either shilling for them, or out a gently caress Ton of money.

I think what you're saying is, if they'd been a little less blatantly greedy and stealy from the beginning, you'd have willingly gone 20k+ deep on a joint partnership with them. Which is crazy. Nobody should enter a business partnership without legal advice, irrespective of whether they've already been cheated or not. I hope that the real lesson you learned is that businesses and laws are complicated and when it's your own money in significant amounts on the line, you'd better drat well protect yourself.

I mean. Even if these guys were totally super-nice non-stealy straight up good honest business people, becoming a partner in a business, especially with 20k of your own money, exposes you (again, in the US, I'm assuming it's similar in the UK) to unlimited liability.

This is why another option exists for small businesses: LLC, the Limited Liability Corporation.

quote:

They (being careful not to name anyone for legal reasons) wanted my kids entire Collage fund and all my savings for something they did anyway, but totally couldn't afford without my investment.

I thought college in the UK was basically free?

Anyway yeah god don't "invest" amounts of money that are important to you in other people's game store businesses. Game store businesses are lovely businesses, nobody gets rich doing that. At best you maybe become a going concern and can make ends meet and possibly afford a car.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Pretty sure it does. There is plenty of prequel stuff in the RPG series including races (players can be Kel Dor, Toydarians, Nautolans, etc), ships (Anakin's shitbox stolen spice freighter for example), battle droids, nexu and more.

Yeah, they can use prequel stuff, but the CEO of FFG has come out and said he hates the prequels so they're not going to do any poo poo from them (phoneposting, otherwise I'd try to dig up the quote). This is a Good Thing and I'm very happy that they have the Star Wars nerdgame license.

Disney has also been treating the prequels like the loving plague that they are and have barely mentioned them in any media. It is a good time to be a Star Wars fan.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Leperflesh posted:

I thought college in the UK was basically free?

Ahahahahahahah. People were stupid enough to vote Tory last election and they told students to get hosed to the tune of £9,000 a year.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

ro5s posted:

Ahahahahahahah. People were stupid enough to vote Tory last election and they told students to get hosed to the tune of £9,000 a year.

9000 pounds a year. What is everyone in the UK poors? Folks on the island need to get on the bandwagon college shouldn't be less then 30k usd a year! Also coincidentally on an entirely unrelated note the USA is now battling various south American dictatorships for their spot on world educational rankings.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I'm seeing Bad Thread type GW defenders on Facebook too. Like the Eldar buffs?

Someone said that the new Eldar are just a puzzle to learn how to defeat. Oh, and even asking people WHY they like 7th edition is merely being negative. Of course these are people with entire squads of Knights. Incredibly well painted Knights but yeah.
Ill stick with 2nd ed where I might not get to play it but at least I am left with warm memories and FUN: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3708049

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Holy poo poo, Prince Xizor's in Xwang! I thought the Disney people purged him from the EU.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Loving the alternative wargaming chat. I hear a lot of good things about DropzOwn Commander and I want to like it, but I can't seem to bring myself to play smaller-scale stuff. How do you people find it, to paint models that small?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Doctor Borris posted:

Hey speaking of which how did TSR manage to go bankrupt so fast once it stopped caring. Was it because it was private? Were there some colossally bad investments? How is GW doing better?

TSR had literal warehouses full of unsold inventory. They spammed 2nd edition D&D books like crazy and without regard to the fact that the more splatbooks and supplements they made, the fewer of each one they were likely to sell. They wildly overestimated sales of some books while underestimating sales of others. They make all kinds of ill-advised D&D-branded poo poo, including - and I am not kidding about this - a D&D woodburning set. Like, with a little hot iron for burning stuff into wood.

They were also really bad at managing a significant-sized business. Poor financial management, poor recordkeeping, poor hiring, insufficient oversight of the people handling the money.

They were operating at a time when the Web was much much smaller and far fewer people had reasonable Internet access.

They were operating as a traditional publishing company, but without the sort of editorial restraint that real publishing companies have to exercise. When TSR folded, they were still the most popular roleplaying game, dominating the shelves at every FLGS. There were other new RPGs... RIFTS, Shadowrun, Vampire the Masquerade, Champions, and a whole slew of third-rate options. Well-run, TSR absolutely could have survived. They actually made some similar mistakes to those GW makes now - such as harrassing fans online that were posting and sharing copyrighted material - but I'd say that most of their mistakes were in a different category. TSR never outright stopped caring about their fans and customers, and they didn't overcharge for their products, as a rule. They were friendly to FLGSes, they supported organized play and were at every con.

But they diluted their brand with a lot of unnecessary, bloat products; they stopped supporting 3rd party content out of a (somewhat justified) belief that 3rd party stuff directly competed with their own products for market share, and in the end, they simply couldn't survive financially. Their IP was purchased by Wizards of the Coast, and 3rd edition was just a massive, massive improvement of the game, in pretty much every respect. The decision to let third parties print compatible content under the D20 license was a mixed bag - most of that third-party content was hot garbage, and that diluted the value of the D20 brand - but Wizards actually understood how to manage their own finances, and while modern gamers often bemoan the amount of bloat that eventually weighed down 3.5th edition D&D, it still doesn't even come close to the bookshelf after bookshelf of crap 2nd edition had. And of course, Wizards had another, wildly profitable product to keep them afloat when D&D wasn't. Unlike TSR, Wizard was successful at diversifying (within the Trad Games market), a critical strategy for any company that wants to avoid the risk of sudden bankruptcy when their only product loses popularity.

GW, hilariously, does not understand that principle. It has been on a neverending path of de-diversifying its product lines for 10+ years. Licensing its IP to actually good game studios (both computer games, and FFG for board/RPG games) might be the only bright spot in that respect. But all of those games seem to be focused on their narrowed IP - 40k and Fantasy.

And they just literally End Timesd one of those two product lines. LOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ro5s posted:

For those Americans unfamiliar with the UK system: "College" is 2 years of school you do from age 16 to 18, typically. It is often vocational. "University" is then 2(?)-4 years of school you do after you finish college, typically pursuing a professional or academic degree.

So ro5s is telling us that Brits now have to pay £18k for vocational school to learn how to weld, or be a hairdresser, or a dental assistant. Or, to prep for a university degree.

In America, we get free school to the age of 18 (High School), but this education is rarely vocational and does not really qualify anyone for anything (although not having a high school diploma can be a major obstacle to getting any kind of reasonable job). But then, "college" and "university" are 2-4 years costing anywhere from a couple grand a semester for community college classes to $80k+ a year for a private ivy-league school.

Higher education in the US is still, on average, far more expensive than in the UK.

• Locked thread