Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Hellsau posted:

Did you two shot him with your 105mm derp?

Please; I used HE in the 105mm long gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I keep 3 rounds of HE on the E-50 because it has so much ammo anyways, but even shooting at Waffles you occasionally hit the gun and do like 17 damage. HE is garbage.
AP shells can hit the gun for 0 damage, or the tracks for 0 damage, or deviate Just So that they ricochet. Doesn't make AP garbage.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Nordick posted:

AP shells can hit the gun for 0 damage, or the tracks for 0 damage, or deviate Just So that they ricochet. Doesn't make AP garbage.

Not with waffles they don't.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

The Southern Dandy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U06jlgpMtQs

[e]: This anthem plays every time ready up my KV-2, 704, or 261. Because I'm a nerd.

Let's have a communist party! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrKM3NQ6IQY

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Only if we play this on our balalaikas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmkySNDX4dU

[e]: Actually I think I'll lead off with "RA RA Rasputin, Russia's greatest love machine" when I play my KV-2 now.

The Southern Dandy fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 21, 2015

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Ensign Expendable posted:

I fired HE into the rear end of a T95 once and it penned, a glorious day.

I got penned by an HE shell in my T54 from a Centurion HESH shell which to me seems like a very very lucky pen. 127mm armor vs what 100mm avg pen on the HESH. HE makes no sense.

VV Derp Hetzer's that fire nothing but HEAT and HE are glorious things.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 21, 2015

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I am an idiot who shot nothing but HE from my VK28.01, Hetzer and FCM 36. It worked for me :smuggo: KV2, of course. Anything else has a couple for wrecking fail platoons.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Yes they do, I have seen my fair share of hits on rhoombas and whatever paper tanks do jack poo poo because they just hit the tracks or the side of the gun barrel or whatever.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Also, why do I want to snort a honking line after listening to the first 20 seconds of that? My circuit boy self won't leave me.

The Southern Dandy fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 21, 2015

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nordick posted:

Yes they do, I have seen my fair share of hits on rhoombas and whatever paper tanks do jack poo poo because they just hit the tracks or the side of the gun barrel or whatever.

my awfulpanther bounced two shots from a WT E100 earlier today. Bet he wished he had HE loaded!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Azhais posted:

my awfulpanther bounced two shots from a WT E100 earlier today. Bet he wished he had HE loaded!
It wouldn't have made a difference, which is my point.

EDIT: Really, all I'm saying is "you shouldn't fire HE at paper tanks because the shot might go awry and not have the intended result" is a bit silly because the same applies to any shot you take.
Have a shot at someone's juicy sice, but he's a bit far away? Don't fire, the shot might miss!

Nordick fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 21, 2015

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

They still do.
HE is worthwhile in most waffle shooting because, even if it has a slightly higher chance to do insignificant damage, the increased damage on the 99% of shots that penetrate more than makes up for it.

Most HE zero damage hits on waffles are hits that would've been zero damage with AP too. The game registers a hit when you shoot the muzzle brake.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I kind of gave up on HE against waffles when a clean hit on a WFTE100 turret from a 90 mm gun failed to pen.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Nordick posted:

It wouldn't have made a difference, which is my point.

EDIT: Really, all I'm saying is "you shouldn't fire HE at paper tanks because the shot might go awry and not have the intended result" is a bit silly because the same applies to any shot you take.
Have a shot at someone's juicy sice, but he's a bit far away? Don't fire, the shot might miss!

Taking a shot where the risk outweighs the potential reward by so much generally isn't worth it. You have to spend a reload switching to and from HE, though you presumably fired your AP shell first, then, while you can do 30% more damage or so, there's a good chance of doing 10-25% of your damage instead. Especially at longer ranges, even to waffles. Also when you're looking at HE with ~60 pen or so, it is possible to hit part of a waffle's shield at a bad enough angle that it doesn't full pen. AP can often pen something even if the hit isn't perfectly on target, plus it's useful for anything, not just soft things

There are situations where firing HE is better than firing AP, even when you're not forced to gamble, but actually getting it to average out better than just shooting AP means you have to be making very few mistakes with it. I don't trust myself to average out better than AP if I'm actively looking for HE situations, and I definitely wouldn't tell new players to try to min-max their individual shots.

That being said I've fat-fingered my keyboard and loaded HE in my 263, then fully penetrated a 183 that was facehugging me through the top of the turret for ~800. So I dunno, HE is weird.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I enjoy delivering HE shells to Rhm's more so than to waffles because the amount of hp you take off of them can be a hilariously huge amount. Also gently caress anyone that uses a rhm.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Quit your twittering about the Borsig line. Heartillery has you in mind.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Every now and then its fun to load a tank up and shoot HE out of it just to see what happens. This is better on higher caliber guns, but some low tier guns have deceptively good HE shells for their tier. The 85mm gun on Russian/Chinese mediums has a 300 damage HE shell with reasonable pen which can really gently caress up Hellcats. I tossed the 105 on my Awfulpanther for a bit and managed to bloop off 1400 damage on a WT-PZ4. The Ru-251 has really good HE shells for its gun, and its a lot of fun to race scouts somewhere, and give them a HE surprise.

Its a fun way to blow off steam and occasionally works.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Desuwa posted:

Taking a shot where the risk outweighs the potential reward by so much generally isn't worth it.
Yeah, obviously there is a lot of risk/reward weighing to be done about when to fire HE. I just think the whole "literally never fire HE because it might not work" is a silly, knee-jerky and binary reaction. I know it's sure as hell paid off for me far more often than it's backfired.
As for new new players, well they have the info on how HE works, it's not our business to babysit what they do with that info. If they don't try it they'll never learn it.

Also, as CitizenKain said, it's fun to futz around with.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you like HE, you owe it to yourself to get a T49. It has standard HE, Anti-Tank HE and HE with more splash. What more could anyone need?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Okay so...about the M2 medium...how the he'll do I make this guy work? The only fun with penetration is a 37mm and it is a big, slow target. Not to mention the IV and V tanks rip through it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Blindeye posted:

Okay so...about the M2 medium...how the he'll do I make this guy work? The only fun with penetration is a 37mm and it is a big, slow target. Not to mention the IV and V tanks rip through it.
It has absurdly good gun depression, so if you can find a hill to peek over, you can use that to your advantage.
Other than that, it doesn't really have anything going for it. Just keep at it, it'll be over soon.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Nordick posted:

It has absurdly good gun depression, so if you can find a hill to peek over, you can use that to your advantage.
Other than that, it doesn't really have anything going for it. Just keep at it, it'll be over soon.

Well, at least can I hope the M3 is more usable?

KcDohl
Jun 18, 2004
LORK ON TEH CLORF
Dinosaur Gum

Blindeye posted:

75 with HE dunks motherfuckers iirc but last I played it was probably multiple years ago~

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Blindeye posted:

hahahaha

(It's the Lee)

You shoot your gun very quickly, but there are problems with the Lee.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
at least after you get past the m3 it gets better

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Blindeye posted:

Well I was just about to add a thing about that.... The Lee is a notoriously awkward, difficult tank. The gun is mounted very low on the hull, and the tank itself is a stupid tall box of a target, so it's really hard to get to a good firing position. It has obscene damage output for its tier though, and will chew poo poo up if you get to actually shoot things. But, as said, that's very finicky to do. It plays a lot like a retarded, malformed TD.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Blindeye posted:

I don't know why WG does this but tiers 3-4 are essentially the poo poo tiers where all the interwar garbage tanks are. I can probably count the number of good tanks in there on one hand, your solace is that they are over relatively quickly and and everyone else is likely driving a shitbox as well.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Except for all the seal clubbers driving around with pom-poms and BT-SVs and Pz IIJs.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

pun pundit posted:

Except for all the seal clubbers driving around with pom-poms and BT-SVs and Pz IIJs B2's.

Blindeye posted:

Play it like a true pubbie shitlord: hide in the back and shamelessly steal kills as the masses grind down the enemy with their tiny autocannons.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Speaking of HE shells and tier 4 tanks, here's a match where I (after some initial sniping) just go "gently caress it" and assault gun my way through some tier 6s in my SU-85B. A bunch of bad pubbies, silly HE experimenting and stupid blind luck involved.

http://wotreplays.com/site/1817507#erlenberg-palantyre-su-85b

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I feel pretty good about this battle. Made a joke about carrying the team when we were clearly headed for a loss...then proceeded to carry the team.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
My cousin mentioned some new German TD coming in 9.7? Anyone know where that's falling in the line?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
What the gently caress is Mittangard doing in this game? It's the shittiest map and bears absolutely no relevance to how the game should play.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is that the one that looks like a town built inside a rock quarry? If so, it really is some bullshit.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Azhais posted:

My cousin mentioned some new German TD coming in 9.7? Anyone know where that's falling in the line?

There's a new premium TD coming, not sure if it's in 9.7 though. It's the Kanonenjagdpanzer, a 60's tank destroyer armed with a 90mm gun (functionally the same as the one in the RU-251 I believe). Very fast, good gun depression. A beefier, larger E25 with no limited MM.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Is that the one that looks like a town built inside a rock quarry? If so, it really is some bullshit.

Yeah, it's an awful deathmatch shitfest that seems to have been designed for an entirely different game.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

It's over in 5 mins or less so helps you grind faster past tier 3 far as I can tell.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

That map is amazing and is probably the single greatest thing they have ever managed to poo poo out. Tiers 3 and lower should only be on that map.

We are talking about the one where both teams start on a giant hill and have to race down into a small city and each teams arty is segregated off to some other part of the map?

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 22, 2015

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

I've been playing the Pak40 trying to get that map, but no dice. With bino's obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I've been trying to shoot HESH out of the Charioteer and it's going so-so. The L7 on it is considerably worse than the same gun on the Centurion 7/1, which is the first problem. The second problem is that even very high penetration HE shells (which is all HESH is right now) still will get caught up on poo poo and you 500+ damage shot ends up doing 76 damage instead or something. When it works it's fantastic, when it doesn't it's aggravating as gently caress.