Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Cyberball 2072 posted:

I refuse to believe an EU character exists with a name as pedestrian as Ken

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_characters

i checked that entire list and while that isnt literally all of them, its definitely a lot and i think youre right

also dont look @ that list , only pain and suffering will follow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Acne Rain posted:

also i still like terry's transformer essay but she's very nice about the entire having a viewpoint and wanting to share it thing, instead of smg's king of poo poo mountain attitude

well, the transformers thing was more 'why doesn't anyone ever talk about just how casually violent the good guys are, like how bay made a point of having extras in the car which ironhide kicks into a storefront which then explodes?'

the TPM stuff is all 'no, no, don't you get it you morons? it's all deliberately bad because it reflects the badness of the republic'

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

gfanikf posted:

Hey buddy of equally bad judgment in Hutt related reading.

I knew when I saw that pic on the first cover that it seemed...oddly familiar, but I couldn't figure out why until you mentioned Zorba. Turns out that yep that was the one EU book I read as a kid. I remember finishing it and then bugging a person who was really into Star Wars (I'd say I'm in third grade at this point) when the next book would come out. Thankfully I lost interest and stopped checking....I guess I should be very happy.

I don't think Ken the titular Jedi Prince was even introduced in the first book (???), so yeah you lucked out.

Y'know how every kids' movie from the '80s starred a cynical, bored suburban preteen who wished their life could be interesting like all the <x genre> stories they read? Ken is that kid, in Star Wars, played completely straight, except also raised by robots in an underground city on Yavin 4 because the Jedi Prince guy had no self-control

One of the major plot points involving Trioculus is that he discovered Darth Vader's glove which he could use to choke people because obviously the gloves are what allowed Vader to do that. In later books I guess the author was trying to respond to criticism (consisting of people pointing out how pants-on-head retarded that concept is) so he retconned it so it was actually some sort of bionic implant allowing Trioculus to do that and not the glove at all, because obviously that's such a better plot point

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Acne Rain posted:

also i still like terry's transformer essay but she's very nice about the entire having a viewpoint and wanting to share it thing, instead of smg's king of poo poo mountain attitude

I hate SMG not because of his weird rear end contrarian views, but because he insists that they're objectively right and you're retarded if you don't agree

I think he's the highest effort troll ever. Look, I love to gently caress with people online too, but I don't do it for 100 pages and millions of words typed because eventually it gets old and stops being funny

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

loquacius posted:

Don't worry, it's only Ken because his mom's name is Kendalina

Kendalina

Also the Grand Moffs all fly around together on one ship called the Moffship because the Jedi Prince series was loving terrible

You left out the best detail: the Grand Moffs called their gatherings a "Mofference."

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
It's like poetry, it rhymes.

I think we already had a good 3 pages making mofference jokes but it's still funny.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Jedi Prince was worth it because it culminates in Trioculous (the three-eyed fake son of Palpatine) getting lasered to death by Robo-Leia (which was built on a secret base on Mount Yoda) as he tried to marry her.

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

SirPhoebos posted:

Jedi Prince was worth it because it culminates in Trioculous (the three-eyed fake son of Palpatine) getting lasered to death by Robo-Leia (which was built on a secret base on Mount Yoda) as he tried to marry her.

yeah that definitely sounds worth it alright

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
If you're some dude with three eyes it's probably going to be in your name unless three eyes is like a common thing for whatever your alien species is. Also whatever baby Palpatine had was pretty much one hundred percent gonna be some kind of mutant thing.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

that list of names taught me about darth millennial... millennial

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Millennial

Robot Jelly
Jul 15, 2007

Bleep Blorp

Unidentified bully posted:

A male bully used a rock to smash a toy Star Destroyer belonging to the Human child Harsh. Harsh, despite being smaller than the bully, took the rock from the other child and smashed the bully's face with it.

two sentences more entertaining than most EU books

Angry machine posted:

The angry machine was a device utilized by Wikyochee, a ten-year-old member of a non-Human species. Wikyochee, though generally agreeable, would occasionally slip into a more violent temper. The angry machine he possessed would calm his body down and allow him to return to a more affable state.

I'm the Temple Grandin of Star Wars and this is my hugbox in a galaxy far, far away

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

I forgot this part, holy poo poo it really was just a bad '80s cartoon in book form

I don't think anything else in the EU had a straight-up King Koopa villain-wants-to-forcibly-marry-main-female-character plotline; even the Shadows of the Empire guy just wanted to gently caress her and move on

david... posted:

that list of names taught me about darth millennial... millennial

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Millennial

Caramel macchiato joke, selfie joke, MacBook Pro joke, crushing student loan debt joke, boom

No but seriously I'm just glad his name isn't "Darth Three-Eyes-Guy"

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This could be good.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

blowfish posted:

beeb boot beeee boooo booo bzzzzzzt*

*don't droidspeak-shame

Hey, if you want rights, then speak the language. First you take our jobs, next you'll want to get on the Galactic Empire's welfare train!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

muscles like this? posted:

I want to know why there are so many droids who can't talk "basic." Seems like an rear end in a top hat design choice.

I can't decide if it's critically terrible to have astromechs not speak English, because their job can be a life/death race against time kinda thing and they should be able to communicate with their pilot efficiently as possible, or if the astromechs speak in code the pilots are required to learn and it's some kind of security feature so enemy units can't monitor pilot/astromech conversations.

I'm sure the real explanation is worse.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

gfanikf posted:

This could be good.

Yes, yes. Good, good. :getin:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A really stupid thing was when Star Wars Galaxies originally came out and they didn't have the option for a Jedi player character. You know, the one thing Star Wars is most known for. Then when they eventually added it in you had to do some circuitous bullshit involving leveling up random jobs to unlock one character slot that was allowed to be a Force user.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

A really stupid thing was when Star Wars Galaxies originally came out and they didn't have the option for a Jedi player character. You know, the one thing Star Wars is most known for. Then when they eventually added it in you had to do some circuitous bullshit involving leveling up random jobs to unlock one character slot that was allowed to be a Force user.

it was actually dumber that they didnt have space ships

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Light Gun Man posted:

I can't decide if it's critically terrible to have astromechs not speak English, because their job can be a life/death race against time kinda thing and they should be able to communicate with their pilot efficiently as possible, or if the astromechs speak in code the pilots are required to learn and it's some kind of security feature so enemy units can't monitor pilot/astromech conversations.

I'm sure the real explanation is worse.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Binary

quote:

History

Preceded by the archaic CBell-1, the droidspeak standard was established by Industrial Automaton's line of astromech droids. It later became the standard mode of communication for droids from many manufacturers, all of whom paid IA a small licensing fee to use the language.

The father of modern droidspeak was considered to be cyberphilologist Yperio Baobab, of the prestigious Baobab family. His program, created circa 200 BBY, allowed droids to communicate much more complex concepts than "yes" and "no." With Bab-Prime, as it was dubbed, droids could recall and pass on sensory-gathered data between one another. Some time later, a cybersociologist working for the Baobab Merchant Fleet added a layer of code to the programming which gave droids an "essence of personality." Consequently, this code acted like a rampant computer virus that spread across the entire droid population. Droids then began to exhibit personality traits ranging from arrogance to comradeship. As a result, droidspeak flourished and transformed from Bab-Prime into Bab-Neo, or "Babno" as it was known. While some droid owners preferred this new mode of interactivity between droid and master, others chose to wipe their droids' memory clean of this personality code.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

quote:

Yperio Baobab

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I refuse to believe that name came to exist in any way other than hammering randomly on a keyboard

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Except if you set your game post-Jedi purge having tons of Jedi running around makes no goddamn sense.

EDIT: And then the prequels happened and any Jedi not killed on screen somehow managed to survive. So much for being "all but extinct" :rolleyes:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

SirPhoebos posted:

Except if you set your game post-Jedi purge having tons of Jedi running around makes no goddamn sense.

EDIT: And then the prequels happened and any Jedi not killed on screen somehow managed to survive. So much for being "all but extinct" :rolleyes:

Disney changed stuff so the prequels arn't really canon anymore.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The Taint Reaper posted:

Disney changed stuff so the prequels arn't really canon anymore.

Sadly, because they're the movies, the prequels remain canon.

Hopefully they'll never have to reference it in future movies, but now and forever C-3P0 was built by a 9-year-old Anakin.

EDIT: I was originally referring to the EU stuff around the prequels, and yes those can be safely told to gently caress off.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

SirPhoebos posted:

Sadly, because they're the movies, the prequels remain canon.

You say this but watch them make Special Editions of Episodes 1-3 where poo poo is changed around. Or they dedicate an entire TV season to the retelling of Episodes 1-3 where everything doesnt suck. It's like 9-12 TV episodes to match the time of the three movies.

I liked the original concept of jar Jar that he was this wandering ronin type drunk who was outcast from society(he may have killed somebody on accident). Which was where his slurred speech came from, but then lucas hosed it up because Jedi are the only ones who can be Samurai.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 23, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SirPhoebos posted:

Not like anything else they were doing fit perfectly into continuity. Like why bother having any kind of conflict between the Rebels and Empire when you know the Rebels can't win until after the events of ROTJ.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I think the new movies are going to address that the Rebels kinda hosed up taking the empire out because the empire had a wide reach and when Palpatine fell (in more ways than one) they created this fall of Ottoman Empire type situation where a bunch of Imperial officer warlords rose up and took parts of the former empire for themselves because the Rebels didn't have enough resources to cover poo poo like the outer rim and had no Star Destroyers.

Because there's a bunch of tie fighter pilots who have berzerker decos all over their masks.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

On paper, I think the idea of super-cool PC classes being kept purposely rare such that running into an actual Jedi or bounty hunter is a big deal and turns your entire gameplay experience around sounds kind of awesome. In practice, of course, everybody wanted to play as a goddamn Jedi and had to spend hours jumping through stupid unentertaining hoops to be allowed into the cool-kids club. It was worth a shot, but I'm not surprised it failed.

Also, remember that level of Battlefront where you play as a trade federation person and you just slaughter Gungans for like ten minutes, and the only thing they have to defend themselves is those dumb paint grenade things that are completely useless? I know it was just a tutorial battle but I played it over and over because drat that was satisfying :allears:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Gungans were an entire race of Beta-Ray Bills that they somehow made worse than Ewoks.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

loquacius posted:

Also, remember that level of Battlefront where you play as a trade federation person and you just slaughter Gungans for like ten minutes, and the only thing they have to defend themselves is those dumb paint grenade things that are completely useless? I know it was just a tutorial battle but I played it over and over because drat that was satisfying :allears:
I never got around to playing Battlefront, but the first level of The Force Unleashed was great. You play as Vader and throw wookiees around for ten minutes. :allears: That was a great way to recover from watching the Holiday Special.

Too bad the rest of the game had you playing as Darth Generic with his wiffle bat lightsaber, often fighting enemies that were immune to the force.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

loquacius posted:

I refuse to believe that name came to exist in any way other than hammering randomly on a keyboard

Hyperion Baobab tree.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I started watching that Clone War movie and cartoon show that's still canon. It's not too bad....but the hell is with a 14 year old girl running around in a tube top...that's just weird. It helps that Hayden whatshisname doesn't do voice work on the show and a professional actor does instead.

Tarkin audiobook is pretty decent...it's humorous when Tarkin slips in Sherlock mode. ..which is actually a nice nod to Peter Cushings various performances as Sherlock.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Cyberball 2072 posted:

I refuse to believe an EU character exists with a name as pedestrian as Ken

"C'mon Greet Norbo, Fah Soh Tung, Neat Tableau, and Blart Mallcop, lets go and bully one named Ken!"

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

gfanikf posted:

So I started watching that Clone War movie and cartoon show that's still canon. It's not too bad....but the hell is with a 14 year old girl running around in a tube top...that's just weird. It helps that Hayden whatshisname doesn't do voice work on the show and a professional actor does instead.

Tarkin audiobook is pretty decent...it's humorous when Tarkin slips in Sherlock mode. ..which is actually a nice nod to Peter Cushings various performances as Sherlock.

The Clone Trooper episodes are one of the best because it plays out like a war movie especially after they start seeing everyone die and realize that they're expendable and that there was no real way to erase the sense of individualism and self preservation from human clones. Because they develop individual personalities from just being exposed to poo poo.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The Taint Reaper posted:

The Clone Trooper episodes are one of the best because it plays out like a war movie especially after they start seeing everyone die and realize that they're expendable and that there was no real way to erase the sense of individualism and self preservation from human clones. Because they develop individual personalities from just being exposed to poo poo.

The clones are the best part of that series. The various hairstyles and tattoos they get to distinguish themselves over time are a really well done detail. The one episode with the deserter who started a family with a twilek was especially good.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
just remembered how according to the EU, the empire's trap with the 'non-functioning' death star in return of the jedi was actually just IG-88 uploading his consciousness to the Death Star's main computers and fixing everything up for them and manually firing the laser and the imperials were just as surprised as the rebels.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

just remembered how according to the EU, the empire's trap with the 'non-functioning' death star in return of the jedi was actually just IG-88 uploading his consciousness to the Death Star's main computers and fixing everything up for them and manually firing the laser and the imperials were just as surprised as the rebels.

Wait. During the trap? Was Sheev in on this?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

TK-42-1 posted:

Wait. During the trap? Was Sheev in on this?

Yes. No.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah unfortunately those space shooter sims all died out around 2003 or so. I remember that a great one, Freespace 2, ended up costing the studio a ton to make and it failed to sell. I mean the last X-Wing game was made in 2000.

FreeSpace 2 was the greatest space sim ever made and also killed the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

FreeSpace 2 was the greatest space sim ever made and also killed the genre.

Let me tell you about a little game called Elite: Dangerous

• Locked thread