Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Supposedly anything with -Scythe that is a D weapon rolls -1 on the chart so the Hemlock is still insanely amazing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
How many points does it cost?

How many Wraith Knights can you take instead?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Same cost as before 185 ? , but it moved up to ML2 and has the D- Scythes.

Crimson Hunter is pretty boss as well at a cost of 140.

Eldritch Storm has two cast modes: WC 3 or WC 4.

WC 3 24''- str 3 ap 3 large blast, fleshbane, haywire, pinning

WC 4 24''- str 3 ap 3 Apocalyptic blast, fleshbane, haywire, pinning.

Wut?

I was not expecting it to be AP3.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 22, 2015

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BULBASAUR posted:

I feel you're seriously downplaying how powerful ranged D can be

Err... basically I'm saying wraithguard aren't much functionally changed. Yeah one can kill a tank now, but mass single shot D weapons isn't too much scarier than mass S10 AP1 insta-death on a 6.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
No not unless you play Necrons who don't get their special ability if something is ST D. It's pretty bad. Like a unit of 200 point Wraithguard will not only blow up a Ghost Ark, they'll kill all the guys inside it as well.

That poo poo sucks.
ST D is so much more powerful than ST10 AP1 that's its not even in the same ball park.
1 Squad will annihilate a Conclave of the Burning One. A 400 point Squad.
1 Squad of D Wraiths can kill a entire unit of Talos Corpsethief.
Like all 5 of them a 600 point squad can be killed by a squad of Wraithguard w/ D- Scythes.
It's pretty powerful.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 22, 2015

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BlackIronHeart posted:

How do I kill a Wraithknight with Orks? Just... How?

The same way as before when using ranged: cheap massed S8 weapons. Wraithknights aren't that scary for ork armies since the armor is poo poo anyways. In close combat it can be a problem, but a claw swinging back is still a risk and you will generally have the boys to soak up a stomp or two. Really, I'd be more worried about mass S6 shooting from the bikes.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hollismason posted:

No not unless you play Necrons who don't get their special ability if something is ST D. It's pretty bad. Like a unit of 200 point Wraithguard will not only blow up a Ghost Ark, they'll kill all the guys inside it as well.

That poo poo sucks.

ST D is so much more powerful than ST10 AP1 that's its not even in the same ball park.

1 Squad will annihilate a Conclave of the Burning One. A 400 point Squad.

1 Squad of D Wraiths can kill a entire unit of Talos Corpsethief.

Like all 5 of them a 600 point squad can be killed by a squad of Wraithguard w/ D- Scythes.

It's pretty powerful.

Why don't you shoot them with weapons? Do necrons not have weapons greater than 18"? A unit in a serpent is only 6 strong, so you can just jump on them when they get out.

EDIT: Jesus christ, remember when escalation happened and eldar took pulsars? Only pulsars are each 2 large blasts? With greater range?

LordAba fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 22, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
So haven't looked all the way through the thread but I do have all the leaks that have been released. Some are in spanish some are in english.

Should I post them , can't remember the policy.

LordAba posted:

Why don't you shoot them with weapons? Do necrons not have weapons greater than 18"? A unit in a serpent is only 6 strong, so you can just jump on them when they get out.

EDIT: Jesus christ, remember when escalation happened and eldar took pulsars? Only pulsars are each 2 large blasts? With greater range?

Hard to shoot them when they get Battle Trance from the formation, load up in raiders, and then jump your poo poo on turn 1 by moving 6, getting out, moving 12" and then shooting you.

Or Deep Strike in using Raiders

Or Use a Web Way Portal

Etc....

It's not like OMG what will I do it's more like "Welp that's something to deal with".

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 22, 2015

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Getting the D is an entirely different experience than getting Strength #ed. I don't understand why you are defending it so adamantly.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's a really really good codex except for like the D Weapons and Jetbikes, loving Aspect Warriors are boss except Shining Spears. Why would you take away hit and run from them?

Anyway entire codex is up on the net. All of it except some is in spanish.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 22, 2015

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
Hollismason you've made everyone real aware that you're gay, I'd think you of all people would be happy about getting the D.

This Eldar book is looking really bad. They fixed the wave serpent problem, and yet managed to make the book apparently MORE powerful than it was before. Wraithknights with perpetual 4+/5+ from having their toe on cover, and wizard babysitters, were bad enough already without them being FNP gargantuans with stomp and D-Guns.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
That's kind of just assholish/sexist/homophobicish? but not super offensive but still kind of weird to say and not cool ,also I'm a total top. So I'd like to give you the D.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 22, 2015

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
What's worth noting about the Wraithknight is that the closest comparable GC, the Barbed Heirodule, is nearly two hundred points more expensive and is actually worse in some categories. This is probably the most egregiously unbalanced thing GW's ever done, and that's really saying something.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I heard you have a 12" D, confirm / deny?

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Hollismason posted:

That's kind of homophobicish but not super offensive but still kind of weird to say and not cool ,also I'm a total top. So I'd like to give you the D.

I'm not phobic of you or your D

because Necron's c'tan powers only have a one in six chance of bringing the D

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The thread's (D)ossier on Hollismason continues to grow.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 22, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
no eldar allowed

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...
I'm building a Doomsday Ark

I've built 2 Ghost Arks already.

Another Ghost ark waits its turn, still in the box.

:suicide:

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Tequila Ranger posted:

I'm building a Doomsday Ark

I've built 2 Ghost Arks already.

Another Ghost ark waits its turn, still in the box.

:suicide:

Since you seem to hate yourself want to build the two ghost arks I have waiting? I'll pay you by buying you another ghost ark!

A Real Horse fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 22, 2015

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
How many wraithknights does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

BlackIronHeart posted:

How do I kill a Wraithknight with Orks? Just... How?

Take a bunch of Shokkas and hope for double 6's.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

no eldar allowed

Operation Pitchfork.

dakka dakka is dumb.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

LordAba posted:

Operation Pitchfork.

dakka dakka is dumb.

Oh god, please elaborate.

EDIT: found it, http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/645028.page

For fucks sake lads.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Apr 22, 2015

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
It's so so weird the power balance between this codex and the previous ones this year. Some army builds are OK but seems like any one who pays for defense or big shiny stuff is hosed. From personal experience playing as orks in the current rules huge boy mobs have all kinds of problems from mobility to getting shot down. Don't jet bikes all have shuriken cannons now?

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Doctor Borris posted:

Don't jet bikes all have shuriken cannons now?

Only the ones without Scatter Lasers ! :commissar:

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Doctor Borris posted:

So Wraithknights are similar to Riptides, only better, fast, more durable, much better in close combat, and armed with guns that will trivially remove land raiders, hive tyrants, and Terminators in heavy cover from the table.

Well that is good to hear. I remember that a lot people really liked the excellent dynamics Riptides added to the game, and they only had a fancy plasma cannon. Tau noobs!

TBF Riptids get ready access to skyfire+interceptor, making them pretty drat great against flyers, and like 80 ponts cheaper with those upgrades. But, yeah, WKs are bullshit. Eldar are bullshit.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

LordAba posted:

Err... basically I'm saying wraithguard aren't much functionally changed. Yeah one can kill a tank now, but mass single shot D weapons isn't too much scarier than mass S10 AP1 insta-death on a 6.

But again, that's not really true. Let's say someone uses a Webway Portal or Raider or Wave Serpent to dump some Wraithguard out next to Commander Pask in his Leman Russ. Because you are a competent player, you make it so they can only shoot at your AV14 side. With their Wraithcannons, they are gonna get five S10 AP2 shots, which is an average of one penetrating hit and slightly less than one glancing hit. Probably won't kill you, unless he gets really lucky with a 6 to explode you- and at the very least you still get to roll a cover save. End result: Pask probably survives, albeit wounded, and you dogpile him with Guardsmen and that unit never does anything ever again. You get similar results when shooting at something like a Wave Serpent or other mid-AV target with a good cover save- one or two HP knocked off, the vehicle probably survives.

With Str D guns instead, it's a completely different story. You're still seeing ~3 hits, but now every one of those hits has a chance to straight-up kill you, no saves no nothing. About a third of the time when they shoot you, you just eat it instantly. Worse yet, just because you passed two of your three cover saves and they didn't roll the d6+6 result doesn't actually mean you're safe; they can still roll a 6 on the damage table to explode you OR just roll up a 3 on d3 and kill you anyways. So they have to not roll a 6, not roll a 6 again, and then not roll a 5+ on the shot from just one Str D gun in order for you to survive. And they will get to do this 2-4 times.

That's for standard Wraithguard with the single-shot guns. D-Scythes, which ignore cover and hit automatically (and can hit multiple models) are going to be the standard loadout and they are even more dangerous. Two D-Scythes (i.e. 84pts of models) will kill most vehicles instantly.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Man I love this Codex. I have a huge Wraithboner right now. You might as well pack up your lovely Space Marine armies and go home

AbusePuppy posted:

Two D-Scythes (i.e. 84pts of models) will kill most vehicles instantly.

1/3 hits does literally nothing so this is a bold claim

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Last night I had a farewell game for my 6E Eldar, making the most of my chance to field my Wraith-heavy army without feeling like an rear end in a top hat. The end result was a very fair draw, with the tactical objective cards deciding the game on the very last roll of turn 4.

I was shocked by how much better Space Wolves are at melee than dedicated Eldar units. A few Thunderwolves with a Wolf Lord held the centre of the table all game and munched their way through the Avatar, a Ghostglaive Wraithlord, 5 Wraithblades and a Spiritseer without losing a model. It's the 3rd time I've been excited to field my FW Avatar only to have it minced by some no-name character. Even with Disarming Strike he couldn't get any wounds past a Storm Shield, and eventually failed the disarm roll-off and went down like a bitch to some relic axe.

If anything became Strength D in the new codex, it should have been the Wailing Doom. gently caress Storm Shields.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Phyresis posted:

Man I love this Codex. I have a huge Wraithboner right now. You might as well pack up your lovely Space Marine armies and go home

Yeah but if it hits automatically and on a 3+ does a fuckton of damage even against Av14, then its hardly a bold claim.

I'm pretty shocked Wraith units didn't get a points increase in exchange for being given strength D weaponry.

For some perspective a fully loaded and specced out Reaver Titan can do 8 str D blasts a turn, and thats a loving TITAN. 5 Wraithguard with these Str D flamers is what, 200 odd points?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Phyresis posted:

I agree, Wraithguard need buffing :quagmire:

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

NTRabbit posted:

I agree, Wraithguard need buffing :quagmire:

same

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Thank jesus, I thought I had read the most unnecessary rule in GW history.

People that are able to make all-Wraithguard armies work are amazing people. So few shots, such short range, high cost, large models.

Well, Wraithscythes are definitely better at killing tanks than Wraithguard even with the -1. Dropping 5 Wraithguard and rolling 5 shots to try and kill a tank is a risky proposition, hitting automatically helps big time on such a low-volume unit.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

eldar have always been ridic. the only reason they weren't in 5th is cuz they never got a codex. i'm sure if they did it would have been just as op

Deal
With
It

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

"It's always been bad" doesn't magically make it okay to be bad.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
It's 2nd edition all over again!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

SRM posted:

It's 2nd edition all over again!

Just need the Swooping Hawk Exarch to fly high on t1, drop next to my commander and kill him with a vortex grenade on t2 for the scenario to be complete

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I won the last three tournaments at our local shop and with this release, it's fair winds and following seas, gentlemen. :haw:

For reals though it's to the point where I'm going to tone down lists specifically to have the chance to not win :(

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

It's easy: don't bring a Wraithknight, don't spam jetbikes or Wraithguard. I plan on running the Dire Avenger formation thing because it's too cool. My standard list will look something like this:

Three 10-elf units in Serpents
a big unit of jetbikes to put the jetseer in
one unit of Wraithguard in a Serpent because I have the models and they own
FA: Warp Spiders, maybe a Crimson Hunter if I feel like it
HS: pick three - 3 War Walkers with bright lances, a unit of 3 support batteries, Fire Prism, Night Spinner, Wraithlord

I only have to buy some jetbikes and jetseer and I was planning on doing that anyway. I love this release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Yeah I have a load of aspect warriors and I kinda want to use them. I don't have enough for a critical mass of any particular kind and none of the jumpy ones though.

• Locked thread