Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I'm willing to buy Hussie planned most of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Yeah, that's basically the last week of this thread right there.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Hussie is possibly either the greatest human who was ever borthed, or the worst.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ILLUMINATI CONFIRMED

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Been a while since I genuinely laughed at the comic.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

*truthsplode*

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Andrew understands us too well

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

The music is literally the music to the climax of the 'Saw' film

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Izzhov posted:

I just read through the posts in this thread since the latest update, and I'm surprised no one has mentioned this:

We initially thought John's retcon powers might be key in defeating Lord English.

But John used his zappy powers to get the drop on Caliborn in this latest act, and that resulted in Lord English's creation. This, along with the fact that it literally resulted in John (and the other beta kids) becoming Stuck in a Home, would seem to imply John's retcon powers haven't let him get "outside the story" in the way that we were initially led to believe, and hence this new power is going to be insufficient in leading the kids to victory.

I've been thinking something was off about the retcon power for the past couple of months. Like for all it's been built up there isn't much that's been done with it that couldn't be replicated with time travel and teleportation. Don't get me wrong, it's incredibly powerful, but it's never truly broken the rules of other time travel in the comic.

Back when Aranea was talking about the structure of time as she had come to understand it she described timelines as being like blood vessels in an organism. This felt correct to me and made sense with what we'd seen about how timelines work: there's a point where they branch (usually involving time travel, though not exclusively, remember Terezi's coin flips) and a point where something from the offshoot timeline interacts with the timeline it branched off from(again mostly via time travel, though the Vriska that fought Jack was met in dream bubbles and there's no evidence time travel was used there). Now the real thing that John's done that looks different from other time travel is that his doesn't seem to loop, by which I mean he seems to be able to cause new changes with his time travel where other methods cause the change to always happen. That's a powerful difference to be sure, but my guess is that it's one caused by the fact that we didn't know the natural rules of time travel.

Most time travel we've seen in the comic has occurred before [s]Cascade. The entire timeline up to that point has been the alpha timeline, and it's defined by containing Doc Scratch's birth and death. Before Cascade all time travel was performed almost exclusively by time players (the exception being Gamzee, now known to be part of LE), and any attempt to change the timeline was turned into a doomed timeline. Caliborn is the Lord of Time, he more than likely has the power to make such decisions regarding the timeline and could probably account for any attempts to change the timeline. That matches up with his brute force approach to things.

After Cascade LE, Gamzee and John have been the only people we've seen use time travel. Considering LE is running around we don't need to assume that he cares about any sort of time travel because none of it can stop him from coming into existence because of his iron grip on the alpha timeline. We don't know that Dave couldn't suddenly go loving around with things without dooming timelines, and it's not like Dave has any reason to want to gently caress around with that poo poo. For all we know the timeline loops and splits are a restriction only time players need to deal with.

Mind you I'm probably wrong in a few dozen ways, and there's still a lot to be accounted for. In particular I think we still need to know about Doc Scratch and Gamzee's actions.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Good to see the Stump is back.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
save us karkat

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
This update was the best.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

God nothing even really happened in this flash and it's still probably one of my favorites. Holy poo poo.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

My favorite is that Doc Scratch is, in some way, Rose's uncle. That's hilarious.

This update had me laughing out loud for real, guys.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Hussie took our jobs.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
I was gonna post about how bad dumb it is to show the MSPaint reader using a CRT monitor to read MSPA when I was willing to bet that no one currently posting in the thread still had a giant cubic weight on their desk.

Then halfway through the video, the reader reappears with a flatscreen monitor.

ILLUMINATI CONFIRMED

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Regy Rusty posted:

ILLUMINATI CONFIRMED

Hussie literally just made a big, dramatic flash update based around this joke.

He's great.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

This update loving OWNED

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I lost my poo poo at the chart explaining the uncle foreshadowing.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Literal uncle.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

i don't get it

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
oh good now i dont have to read the thread

thanks huss

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Also, another bit of nonsense explained here:

Everyone back then was like "lol, Sollux is blind, he thinks he's fighting Gamzee, but he's really facing Lil' Cal." But Gamzee was inside Lil' Cal.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Why do we doubt when, again and again, Hussie regains our faith?

Besides being hilarious, this flash is good because it summarizes all the speculation and discussion we've had over the last week so that people reading through the comic for the first time can get brought up to speed on all the sweet revelations. It also demonstrates Hussie's awareness of the implications of Lord English being what he is, down to even the smallest bits like Doc Scratch really being quasi-kind-of Rose's uncle. It may not be clear how much was planned from the start and how much turned out to be serendipitous coincidence, but Hussie's certainly good at identifying these kinds of connections and opportunities.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

No wait, I changed my mind, my favorite part is showing Auto Responder next to Authority Regulator with flashing question marks and 'AR's everywhere

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

CuddlyZombie posted:

No wait, I changed my mind, my favorite part is showing Auto Responder next to Authority Regulator with flashing question marks and 'AR's everywhere

The best part is this lulls you into a false sense of security because after that the real realizations happen. It's great. I love it

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Color Printer posted:

The best part is this lulls you into a false sense of security because after that the real realizations happen. It's great. I love it

Yeah. It felt like a mix of Hussie going "I totally pulled some of this out of my rear end" and also poo poo like confirming that yes the "No" "Yes" thing was an Equius trait.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Seeing that Flash reminded me that Cal showed up in a couple of Hussie's recaps, meaning that he's had an existence outside of the narrative of the comic all along, just like Caliborn does since he should've gotten the same powers as John.

Also, was that Karkat's arm at the end or Vriska with her grey Jacket?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
This is my update, it was made for me

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

JT Jag posted:

This is my update, it was made for me

no...

it was made for...

US

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I need a tumblr to analyze this flash frame-by-frame, stat

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Honestly I'm just glad for this update summarizing the path of Lil Cal in a quick easy to digest way.

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

I CONJURE THIS INTREPID FANTASYSCAPE WITH TEARS BLED FROM THE WISDOM-WEARY EYES OF FIFTY THOUSAND IMAGINARY MAGICIANS

JT Jag posted:

I need a tumblr to analyze this flash frame-by-frame, stat

I'm sure if Bladekindeyewear hasn't already posted it, he is hunched sweatily over his keyboard, furiously composing a Symphony of hysterical self-aggrandizement

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Captain Q posted:

I'm sure if Bladekindeyewear hasn't already posted it, he is hunched sweatily over his keyboard, furiously composing a Symphony of hysterical self-aggrandizement

Making up crackpot theories is hard.

It's hard and nobody understands.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
i dont understand anything that just happened

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

SA2K posted:

welcome to homestuck heres you're bucket

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

SA2K posted:

Cal went on a magical journey through universes

cal also happens to contain caliborn, dirk's robo-glasses doppelganger combined with equius in a sprite, and part of gamzee.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You know, this whole time, this whole drat time, I never thought of what the 'Cal' in 'Lil Cal' was short for. But there is it, and here we are.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

GeneX posted:

Cal went on a magical journey through universes

cal also happens to contain caliborn, dirk's robo-glasses doppelganger combined with equius in a sprite, and part of gamzee.

and i guess the robo dirk is rose's uncle or something??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I was kind of hoping that the flash would end with the canon death of us, the reader of MS Paint Adventures.