Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Laserface posted:

Im glad you guys are continuing to try and convince Negligent to change his lovely opinion! you are so close now! I can feel it in my water.
They're Doing It For The Lurkers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

For example, we should be taking a more active role in accepting people through the proper UN channels from UNHCR camps near conflict zones. This would be a far more effective way than locking people in torture camps because it would send the message that the established means actually loving work. Whereas now people spend years waiting in limbo in UNHCR camps because we don't take an active role in greasing the wheels of that system.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
I now have "Don't pay the ferry man" running through my head.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Graic Gabtar posted:

So why support an activity that drives it home?

It doesn't increase inequality, so we're no worse off than we would be otherwise, and in many ways we're better off. Not locking people up in prison camps must score us a few morality points.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Jonah Galtberg posted:

They're Doing It For The Lurkers

I've always thought this was a weak excuse, and I still do. I'm doing it for my own amusement.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Basically, the whole thing is super hosed up, and the only solution is for us to take a proper role on the frontline of the refugee crisis.

Australia needs to grow the gently caress up and take some responsibility for the world.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Endman posted:

Basically, the whole thing is super hosed up, and the only solution is for us to take a proper role on the frontline of the refugee crisis.

Australia needs to grow the gently caress up and take some responsibility for the world.
Yes, the whle thing is super hosed up.

Who are we invading first then?

Endman
May 18, 2010

Graic Gabtar posted:

Yes, the whle thing is super hosed up.

Who are we invading first then?

UNHCR camps in Syria. Grab your food-aid packages and your Australian citizenship application forms, soldier.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.

Endman posted:

Let's apply the same moral objectivism that Negligent is displaying to its logical conclusion shall we?

If it's the case that all laws are representative of moral goods, then:

Gay people being persecuted in nations where homosexuality is illegal is a totally fine and okay thing.

Women being raped in prison because fundamentalist muslim nations can't execute virgins is totally cool too.

Ethnic genocide is fine as long as the law says it's okay.

Abortion is totally the worst thing you can do ever in countries where it is illegal (including Australia up until recently).

A doctor euthanising a patient begging to die is basically them being Hitler.

good laws attempt to reflect the norms of a society, including moral norms, and breaching those norms should have negative moral connotations, rather than the "I'm fleeing persecution and am really desperate so anything goes" approach. which is just another normative judgement backed by only by a belief in natural law: it is okay to break the law if the law itself is wrong

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Endman posted:

I'm sorry. :(

If you work hard, and pull up your bootstraps. One day you'll win your title back, my friend. I believe in you!

*clicks quote on a Negligent post*
*clicks quote on a pissdrinker post*

*proudly resettles crown on head*

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Save us Raptorfag.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Negligent posted:

good laws attempt to reflect the norms of a society, including moral norms, and breaching those norms should have negative moral connotations,
I agree, and can only find negative moral connotations for the actions of Charlie Perkins

Endman
May 18, 2010

Negligent posted:

breaching those norms should have negative moral connotations

:shepface:

So racism in 1960s America was okay because white people were the majority and thus the "norm" in American society. And breaching those norms by say, not sitting at the back of the bus, was morally wrong and deserved negative connotations?

Okay Negligent. Sure. Whatever.

I hope you never have to live in a society where you're not considered normal.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Senor Tron posted:

He falsified identification documents of people to get them to places they otherwise wouldn't have been taken, took public money under false pretences and arguably commited treason by actively undermining his countries war production efforts.

He was a Nazi after all :shepface:

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

firstly I said good laws and secondly you are still adopting a dumb natural law approach which simply applies some other moral norm to the law than the one the law was seeking to codify

Endman
May 18, 2010

Negligent posted:

firstly I said good laws and secondly you are still adopting a dumb natural law approach which simply applies some other moral norm to the law than the one the law was seeking to codify

So there are good laws... and bad laws?

So you're applying an outside idea of morality, separate from the law, to criticise the law.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Also the underground railroad to help black people during slavery era america was just flooded with law breaking and criminal activity. Also slavery was legal.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Could it be, Negligent... and forgive me if I blow your loving mind here... but could it be that prosecuting people for escaping persecution by purchasing the services of a people smuggler is, in fact, an example of... and here it comes... a bad law?????

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Smudgie Buggler posted:

International students are anything but a monolithic bloc. Many are essentially forced to go overseas to study things they'd rather not without even being remotely equipped beforehand. But many still are lazy shitbags who feel entitled to a degree cause they're acutely aware of how highly valued they are by universities and will consciously exploit our tertiary education system's reliance on their fees to the fullest extent they can. Some international students can be blamed for how badly they suck at uni (if they do, and most probably don't) and others can't. Sometimes unis can be blamed for preying on international students, but other times it's the other way around. University administrations aren't exactly delighted with the state of their funding, and generally wish they didn't have to accept so many international students to make ends meet.

Is there a list of international student intake by each university somewhere?

Endman
May 18, 2010

:psyboom:

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Endman posted:

UNHCR camps in Syria. Grab your food-aid packages and your Australian citizenship application forms, soldier.

I'd much rather support something interventionist to tell you the honest truth.

For example, last century Africa struggled for independence, this century they are screaming for asylum.

You could roll in there, try to stop conflict and protect the populace. However, you would just be called racist and imperialist.

In your words it is all hosed up. I can't see it changing any time soon. You can hand out application forms until the cows come home. Even if you run wth that 90% figure it still leaves poo poo loads of people essentially hosed and it doesn't solve the underlying problems.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Graic Gabtar posted:

I'd much rather support something interventionist to tell you the honest truth.

For example, last century Africa struggled for independence, this century they are screaming for asylum.

You could roll in there, try to stop conflict and protect the populace. However, you would just be called racist and imperialist.

In your words it is all hosed up. I can't see it changing any time soon. You can hand out application forms until the cows come home. Even if you run wth that 90% figure it still leaves poo poo loads of people essentially hosed and it doesn't solve the underlying problems.

The underlying problem is violence and conflict in general. I don't trust our ability to "fix" other nations in a way that wouldn't just result in yet another post-imperialist shitfest, but at the same time you're right that by treating the symptoms of conflict isn't tackling the core issue as well as we might. There will always be people who get hosed over.

In short, it's all hosed up.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

I don't mean good or bad in the sense of the merits of the content of the law, the good or bad goes to the validity of the law in the strict technical sense

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Laws that aren't valid aren't laws at all.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Endman posted:

So you're applying an outside idea of morality, separate from the law, to criticise the law.

no u

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Negligent posted:

I don't mean good or bad in the sense of the merits of the content of the law, the good or bad goes to the validity of the law in the strict technical sense

*tearily removes crown again*

Endman
May 18, 2010

Negligent posted:

Valid how? It was passed by the legislature? So was the white Australia policy.

It was enforced by the judiciary? So are anti-abortion laws and racist laws and homophobic laws around the world.

What exactly does "valid" mean?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Endman posted:

With this kind of ridiculous moral absolutism, I'm starting to think Negligent is the reincarnation of Ayn Rand.

I actually feel like I have to defend loving Ayn Rand here. I used to read her books back in uni, and I am still less embarrassed by this than I would be if I was trying to argue a position like Negligent's. At least Ayn Rand could go on for like 30 pages of her painstaking logic and lay it all out in a way that made some kind of internal sense to the Objectivist mindset.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I settled this question in first year jurisprudence, strict literalism is the only sensible approach to laws. A law means exactly what it says and if you want it to mean something different well you have to rewrite it.

Next time you're outside and you see a 'No Standing' sign you better sit the gently caress down, or else.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Worse Than Ayn Rand: The Negligent Story.

Coming soon to ABC.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Paying a people smuggler is a moral wrong regardless of its legality.

In return for your money the smuggler puts herself and you in a situation of peril from which you will need rescue.

If everyone acted that selfishly, the universe would collapse because there would be rescuees but no rescuers.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Bifauxnen posted:

I actually feel like I have to defend loving Ayn Rand here.

Bifauxnen posted:

Bifauxnen posted:

LOOK AT WHAT YOU DID THREAD. LOOK AT IT.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
We fixed Iraq, and that turned out great for everyone.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Like fire, Hellfire
How did this shitposting begin?

Endman
May 18, 2010

hooman posted:

Bifauxnen posted:

WHAT HAVE I DONE!? :negative:

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

Nonsense posted:

I'm going to regret this...

I am a lecturer at a prominent University in Sydney - teaching post-graduate media and communications.

50 percent of my students are international students... and I struggle to even speak to them conversationally, let alone understand a huge chunk of what they turn in when they write their assignments.

18 months ago, I had a student who could barely ask me where the bathroom was... and the assignment she turned in, from paragraph to paragraph, varied between unintelligble nonsense and perfect, crisply-written English.

so I Googled the English language bits - and then spent 2 hours cataloguing every website from which she had cut and paste 70% of her assignment.

I reported it to the faculty, we went through an enormous amount of departmental bullshit, we got to the end of semester... and her final mark was 48%.

Her parents threatened to sue - and I thought at the time 'good luck doing that from Beijing...'

The department changed her grade to 50%, she passed, and graduated with the rest of her class that year.

I don't know why I bother, sometimes... it breaks my heart - because I'm lecturing with exactly the same postgrad degree that these students are cheating their way towards.

As a lowly undergrad doing BSc Commerce at USyd (yes, kill me), during an exam for an accounting exam myself and 5 others saw our teacher helping foreign students cheat. No joke, they had text books and notes with them during the exam, actively passing them around right in front of the teacher - he sat directly in front of them.
At first we were confused and thought maybe it was open book, so at the end of the exam we asked him what was going on. He denied the whole thing had ever occurred, there was no books he said, coming off very much like the Iraqi communications minister because the students walked past him with their books in their hands as he said this. Some of the other students pushed harder and went to the faculty dean to which that person did nothing about it because of a 'lack of evidence'. Woop.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Negligent posted:

In return for your money the smuggler puts herself and you in a situation of peril from which you will need rescue.

If everyone acted that selfishly, the universe would collapse because there would be rescuees but no rescuers.
If everyone was in a situation where paying a people smuggler seemed like the best option we'd have much bigger problems to worry about.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

hooman posted:

Howard Roark did nothing wrong

Except blow up a whole housing complex

I think that was against the law, actually

Endman
May 18, 2010

Negligent posted:

We're just going to have to disagree here. I believe the persecution many of these people are fleeing is more than enough justification to take the risk of getting in a leaky boat.

I think your idea of "rescuers" is just absurd as well. We're not rescuing these people; we're imprisoning them in horrible camps. Even if you believe they're in the wrong, how can you justify our comically disproportionate punishment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Lol what a moron negligent is.

So people should be able to just go places if they're fleeing persecution!!? What if they don't have the proper paperwork!?! *faints*

• Locked thread