Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Asked this a few years back, but asking again for updated conditions: if I'm driving from Delaware to Boston, what's the best route to bypass NYC? Up to Tappan Zee bridge then back east to 95?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Why does PVWmdrm proxy keep crashing on my Android and should I be worried about it?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Could I write a sequel to whichever book I want, or are the characters etc copyrighted? What would be the difference to say Bleak House 2 or Harry Potter 10 (or whatever)?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Could I write a sequel to whichever book I want, or are the characters etc copyrighted? What would be the difference to say Bleak House 2 or Harry Potter 10 (or whatever)?

You can use characters, storylines, hell copy the entire plot if you want word-for-word (as Borges (iirc) did to Don Quixote) ... so long as the material is out of copyright. Hence "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" but no "The Joker and his Infinite Jest".

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I've got poison ivy in about three separate spots in my backyard, it grows amongst all the ivy that carpets the ground. Every year I pull it up (as best I can - it loves breaking at the stem, leaving the roots underground) and spray it with round up, and every year it comes back. I've got a two year old, and I don't love the idea of him finding it and using it to wipe his nose or something. How can I eradicate this stuff?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Macaroni posted:

Asked this a few years back, but asking again for updated conditions: if I'm driving from Delaware to Boston, what's the best route to bypass NYC? Up to Tappan Zee bridge then back east to 95?

Yeah you always want to take the NJ Turnpike over to the Garden State Parkway at exit 11, and then you stay on the Parkway until it merges with 87/287 and goes over the Tappan Zee. But you usually don't want to go all the way back to 95, usually you want to take 287 over to the Hutchinson River Parkway going north, which becomes the Merritt Parkway in Connecticut. Then you stay on that til I-91, take that to I-84 and take that to the Mass Pike into Boston.

Going out to I-95 and taking I-95 up the coast adds another like 15 miles but more importantly another half hour of travel time. But obviously if there's heavy traffic on the Merritt you keep going over to 95 and take that to 91 for the rest.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

jackpot posted:

Every year I pull it up (as best I can - it loves breaking at the stem, leaving the roots underground) and spray it with round up, and every year it comes back.
Reverse the order of operations. Spray it first. Let it die. Pull it up.

I used to be afraid of rain after using RoundUp (or one of the generics that works as good/better), but after witnessing it for years I am now the opposite - Spray the hell out of it with Round Up, wait 6 hrs or overnight or whatever, then give it a nice drink of water to get it growing while the weed killer is fresh in the system. It'll be dead in a few days.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

regulargonzalez posted:

You can use characters, storylines, hell copy the entire plot if you want word-for-word (as Borges (iirc) did to Don Quixote) ... so long as the material is out of copyright. Hence "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" but no "The Joker and his Infinite Jest".

You recall wrong. Borges wrote a story about a man who rewrote Don Quixote with the joke being that he had to strain to write Don Quixote as himself rather than just copying Cervantes.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah you always want to take the NJ Turnpike over to the Garden State Parkway at exit 11, and then you stay on the Parkway until it merges with 87/287 and goes over the Tappan Zee. But you usually don't want to go all the way back to 95, usually you want to take 287 over to the Hutchinson River Parkway going north, which becomes the Merritt Parkway in Connecticut. Then you stay on that til I-91, take that to I-84 and take that to the Mass Pike into Boston.

Going out to I-95 and taking I-95 up the coast adds another like 15 miles but more importantly another half hour of travel time. But obviously if there's heavy traffic on the Merritt you keep going over to 95 and take that to 91 for the rest.
Thanks!

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

photomikey posted:

Reverse the order of operations. Spray it first. Let it die. Pull it up.

I used to be afraid of rain after using RoundUp (or one of the generics that works as good/better), but after witnessing it for years I am now the opposite - Spray the hell out of it with Round Up, wait 6 hrs or overnight or whatever, then give it a nice drink of water to get it growing while the weed killer is fresh in the system. It'll be dead in a few days.

Definitely this, roundup is simply glyphosate, it'll be cheap at Home Depot. Dose it with a sprayer when it's thriving. If it's impinging on your lawn and you can't spray, you can actually paint it on the leaves with a foam paintbrush if you need to, as it's taken up by the leaves, not through the soil.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Grimey Drawer

jackpot posted:

I've got poison ivy in about three separate spots in my backyard, it grows amongst all the ivy that carpets the ground. Every year I pull it up (as best I can - it loves breaking at the stem, leaving the roots underground) and spray it with round up, and every year it comes back. I've got a two year old, and I don't love the idea of him finding it and using it to wipe his nose or something. How can I eradicate this stuff?
Try what the other guys suggest, but this stuff is notoriously difficult to eliminate. There are orange-based abrasive/pumice soaps that are really good for getting the oils off of your skin, if you're looking to mitigate. You can get it by the gallon at Costco or Wal-Mart.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

uwaeve posted:

Definitely this, roundup is simply glyphosate, it'll be cheap at Home Depot. Dose it with a sprayer when it's thriving. If it's impinging on your lawn and you can't spray, you can actually paint it on the leaves with a foam paintbrush if you need to, as it's taken up by the leaves, not through the soil.

Ivys are pretty difficult to get rid of.

I use a mixture of about 50% glyphosate and 50% 2,4-D with a liberal amount of dish soap. The dish soap helps to keep it on the waxy leaves long enough to do something.

A great time to spray is early in the day after any dew is gone and leave it on for a nice, sunny afternoon.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I work the front desk for a real estate office and last week an Agent got a certified mail that I signed for and put in his mail box.

Today I got a call from a woman about it, stating that "I know money talks in real estate" multiple times and told me that the agent apparently owes over $100,000.00 (I forget exactly, but she gave me the full amount down to the cent). She was all upset yelling about an attorney but I didnt really care since I did my job and its not my fault if the agent isnt talking to them.

But what I was curious about is how legal is it that shes telling me how much this agent owes? She claimed that an attorney was looking for him, is this private information? Should she have been giving it to some dude who works the front desk?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

In your introduction, is it "this essay will argue" or "this essay argues"? I feel like both are acceptable, but there's probably a nuance I'm missing.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

In your introduction, is it "this essay will argue" or "this essay argues"? I feel like both are acceptable, but there's probably a nuance I'm missing.

I probably wouldn't use either, and just state your thesis without qualification.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Thanatosian posted:

I probably wouldn't use either, and just state your thesis without qualification.

Probably use an 11pt font too.

This is clearly someone overthinking padding.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

syscall girl posted:

Probably use an 11pt font too.

This is clearly someone overthinking padding.

Sadly, it's now common practice, even academically advised in many areas, for students to begin essays with generic statements of intent.

"This essay will argue" is probably more common/correct.

I would always recommend at least trying to paraphrase that to be less poo poo, or if possible avoiding doing anything other than laying out the problem/situation in your opening paragraph. I think it just happened because teachers/professors are lazy as gently caress and want to be able to get quickly pointed in the right direction rather than deciphering the wordvomit that a lot of students will chuck up.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I'm looking into acquiring renters insurance. Does anybody have a preferred renters insurance company? What are some things I should be aware of? Any helpful anecdotes that teach life long lessons?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Jeza posted:

Sadly, it's now common practice, even academically advised in many areas, for students to begin essays with generic statements of intent.

Citation needed.

I roast my students for poo poo like this. I think the only thing worse is using "you" or "we".

Source: decade of teaching psych 101

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

In this post I will present an opinion of the sentiment expressed by preceding posts.

I'm so glad I'm not the only person who is against this practice.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

jackpot posted:

Everyone else has covered the chemical option, but there's also physical barriers you can use to try and contain. These are nuclear options, though, and should be a last resort because they'll also wreck your lawn. You can go with something simple, like mulch or gravel, or just say "gently caress it" and salt the goddamned earth/lay down a tarp/concrete over that poo poo.

I wouldn't recommend any of those, but if you're seriously worried about your kid getting hosed up in poison ivy, they're possibilities. We had a neighbor years ago that poured concrete over his entire front yard to protect his kids. It looks terrible, but it drat sure works.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
are canned vegetables as powerful nutritionally as real vegetables

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Frykte posted:

From what I've heard the way the vitamins get separated from the vegetables is boiling/blanching and then draining the water off.

So if they use the water for packing you should be able to get the nutrition if you use the water.

If you make mac and peas and the water boils off you get the vitamins? If you drain the can, maybe a little less?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

Frykte posted:

Canned vegetables are real vegetables.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

syscall girl posted:

From what I've heard the way the vitamins get separated from the vegetables is boiling/blanching and then draining the water off.

So if they use the water for packing you should be able to get the nutrition if you use the water.

If you make mac and peas and the water boils off you get the vitamins? If you drain the can, maybe a little less?

I just eat them right out of the can, but I get rid of the water in the can. Should I be drinking the water in the can?

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Frykte posted:

There's not a significant difference. Sometimes canned vegetables can have more sugar or sodium, but just buy the ones that don't add that.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Frykte posted:

The canning process actually multiplies the NUTRITION POWER and destroys toxins.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

tuyop posted:

The canning process actually multiplies the NUTRITION POWER and destroys toxins.

What about the water the canned vegetables are in

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Frykte posted:

What about the water the canned vegetables are in

That's so nutritionally powerful that you should really save it for cleansing your rectum.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

KoB posted:

I work the front desk for a real estate office and last week an Agent got a certified mail that I signed for and put in his mail box.

Today I got a call from a woman about it, stating that "I know money talks in real estate" multiple times and told me that the agent apparently owes over $100,000.00 (I forget exactly, but she gave me the full amount down to the cent). She was all upset yelling about an attorney but I didnt really care since I did my job and its not my fault if the agent isnt talking to them.

But what I was curious about is how legal is it that shes telling me how much this agent owes? She claimed that an attorney was looking for him, is this private information? Should she have been giving it to some dude who works the front desk?
Service via certified mail doesn't count as valid service in all situations. Not that it matters to you.

There's probably nothing illegal about her telling you how much someone owes. If there's a court case about it, it's probably public record.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I'm looking into acquiring renters insurance. Does anybody have a preferred renters insurance company? What are some things I should be aware of? Any helpful anecdotes that teach life long lessons?

Not sure this'll really help your question, but just FYI: I got renter's insurance through GEICO, since that's who I had car insurance with, at the time. $120/year? Sure, I'm down. But they... not sure if "outsource" is the correct term? Anyways, it's actually Travelers that covers that part, not GEICO. I've never had to make a claim [knock wood], but when I needed to change my payment date I spent a ridiculous amount of time on hold with Travelers, only to find that GEICO was the one doing the billing. So that was a complete waste of time, I should've called GEICO in the first place. :downs: So be aware of that.

I now have my car insurance with Progressive, and looked into switching my renter's insurance to save (Flo tells me I should bundle!). They were obscenely expensive, even though I've been a good customer with them for a few years. Stuck with my GEICO/Travelers insurance.

Bottom line: I guess my advice is look into getting a deal with whoever does your auto insurance because they can save you a bit, but shop around, "bundling" may not be your best option.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Dzhay posted:

For the past couple of days Firefox hasn't been displaying images properly. They load (I think) and there's an empty space on the page where they should be, but about half the images on a page will be missing. Any idea what this could be? It only seems to happen intermittently.

I think the latest versions of firefox has had display issues. Like if I switch between tabs/close a tab the result will be a screen with the previous tab overlayed onto the current tab and random bits of the current tab will show up. Maybe you're getting something similar to that?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
A dumb question and the answer is most likely ,,no", but I though I'd ask it anyway: is there any way to watch blu-ray disc from a region different than your own other than using a ,,region-free" blu-ray player? Those are expensive and I don't really feel like buying one, so if that's the only way I'd most likely just not buy the discs at all.

I mean legally, I'm sure there are :filez: floating around.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Szurumbur posted:

A dumb question and the answer is most likely ,,no", but I though I'd ask it anyway: is there any way to watch blu-ray disc from a region different than your own other than using a ,,region-free" blu-ray player? Those are expensive and I don't really feel like buying one, so if that's the only way I'd most likely just not buy the discs at all.

I mean legally, I'm sure there are :filez: floating around.

Depending on your local laws, circumventing region restrictions by any means may be illegal. Your use of weirdo quotation marks lets me know you are maybe in Germany or Austria so the DMCA does not apply but there may be local equivalents. If you want to be bound by the law then your first step is finding out what laws exist for the situation.

That said, are you sure that whatever blu-ray discs you want to watch even enforce any region codes?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Citation needed.

I roast my students for poo poo like this. I think the only thing worse is using "you" or "we".

Source: decade of teaching psych 101

http://learnonline.canberra.edu.au/mod/book/view.php?id=178430&chapterid=269

http://library.bcu.ac.uk/learner/writingguides/1.22.htm

It may be more of a UK thing, but I spent several years running a proofing service for academic essays, and I felt like it became more and more standard. I've seen my fair share of "Essay Writing Guidelines" establish a preferred Thesis Statement structure along these lines. Good for you to encourage otherwise.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

It's also horribly common in scientific presentations suddenly.

In this talk, I will first give an introduction, then I will discuss the experiment, then I will discuss the results.

In conclusion, in this talk I showed you an introduction, an experiment, and results.

Time filling techniques, I suppose.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

If your parents own a house have them check with their homeowners insurance. Even in my 30s I could get coverage for about $5/month.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

http://texaswomenshealth.org/ seems like a wholly legitimate government health website, but http://texaswomenshealth.org/uploads/ (exact same domain but maybe don't click that) seems like a great place to load up on malware

what is going on here? (or can nobody else see this and it's just weirdly specific malware already on my machine?)

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

DNova posted:

Depending on your local laws, circumventing region restrictions by any means may be illegal. Your use of weirdo quotation marks lets me know you are maybe in Germany or Austria so the DMCA does not apply but there may be local equivalents. If you want to be bound by the law then your first step is finding out what laws exist for the situation.

That said, are you sure that whatever blu-ray discs you want to watch even enforce any region codes?

I was mostly referring to actually buying the discs, as far as I know the country only cares about import fees. Still, I started searching more actively and using different terms and it turns out there had actually been a release in B region, so I guess I was being dumb, which is hardly new. Still, I probably wouldn't have if I hadn't read your post, so thanks!

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

sick trigger posted:

http://texaswomenshealth.org/ seems like a wholly legitimate government health website, but http://texaswomenshealth.org/uploads/ (exact same domain but maybe don't click that) seems like a great place to load up on malware

what is going on here? (or can nobody else see this and it's just weirdly specific malware already on my machine?)

Not going to click, but I guess someone has compromised their IT security and is using their website to host malware.