Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Japanese Hagane: Final Conflict is a must in that department. In general though SNES stuff was as mass produced there as Genesis games are here. Like Shin Megami Tensei games as an example there are like Madden here even on PSX/Saturn. So it's a great way to save money on shmups and action games that barely have any text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Finally got the last rarity to complete this set. Just have to pick up a copy of the original while I'm out some day. It's not exactly rare or pricey, so I'll get around to it.

I'm cleaning up the Gameboy pocket. Ordered a biversion chip and blue backlight for it just for the gently caress of it. Been a while since I did a mod, and I've never owned a Gameboy pocket until now, so why not!

Speaking of, I've got an ags101 screen laying around here somewhere I want to drop in to a taco GBA. It's a 32 pin screen, but I get so confused by some of this. If I have a 32 pin screen, do I need a particular taco gba to drop this sucker in to, or does the converter handle that? I've also read something about needing some extra soldering on a 32 pin screen, but I can't find anything that goes in to detail about that. I really want to make it happen.

I just really like Gameboys. I don't know why, they're just awesome.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

nofaves posted:

So I finally snipped the tabs on my Super NES, allowing me to play Super Famicom games.

So tell me, retro game thread, what good, cheap, easy to understand if i don't speak Japanese-type games or hidden gems should i now buy for my regionless console?

Jaki Crush
Caravan Shooting Collection (if you don't have these games on NES already)
Kat's Run (if you like weird racing games)
Puyo Puyo 1/2
Dezaemon
Kidou Soku Dion (released in the US as "Imperium" but the JP release has way better graphics due to extra ROM space)

Seconding Gundam Endless Duel and Umihara Kawase

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I'm gonna have a CD-i and a 3DO soon and that's FUKKEN SWEET. :neckbeard: Trading with goons is the best.

And most reasonable people would agree that I am trading Very Nice Things for Crap Nobody Should Have, and that's just the way I like it. :colbert:

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006

Caitlin posted:

I'm gonna have a CD-i and a 3DO soon and that's FUKKEN SWEET. :neckbeard: Trading with goons is the best.

And most reasonable people would agree that I am trading Very Nice Things for Crap Nobody Should Have, and that's just the way I like it. :colbert:

Welcome to the CD-i club! Now watch it gather dust and take up space while trying to explain to others why you just had to own it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Caitlin posted:

Hey if you're getting a 3DO, you owe it to yourself to get one that can use the Panasonic memory card/backup unit, and the unit itself.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Kodilynn posted:

Welcome to the CD-i club! Now watch it gather dust and take up space while trying to explain to others why you just had to own it.

The only space it'll be taking up in my house is Space Ace. :colbert:

Really, anyone who enters my home is probably doing so with the understanding that my taste is very strange and questionable, though I will generally admit when I am making recommendations based on said questionable taste. What I'm saying is I'm self-aware of my love for terrible poo poo. :v: As you may suspect, this makes it a perfect console for me.

I really want copies of CD-i :
Mutant Rampage Bodyslam
Laser Lords
Zombie Dinos from Planet Zeltoid
The 7th Guest
Burn Cycle
Thunder in Paradise (yes)

And wherever I go from there. I want the Zelda CD-i games too, but the current going prices are very... ugh. Unappealing.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Hey if you're getting a 3DO, you owe it to yourself to get one that can use the Panasonic memory card/backup unit, and the unit itself.

I'm trading for an FZ-1, which can in fact use the backup unit - but I am interested in why you think I owe it to myself to get one of those! No argument from me, I am entry level to 3DO.

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 21, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Caitlin posted:

I'm trading for an FZ-1, which can in fact use the backup unit - but I am interested in why you think I owe it to myself to get one of those! No argument from me, I am entry level to 3DO.

Quite simply, the onboard save storage for the 3DO is tiny and you can risk losing it when the CR2032 finally discharges and needs replacement. If you get the backup unit you can shuffle off any large save files you need to, and preserve your files for sure when you need to a battery replacement in the console.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

Quite simply, the onboard save storage for the 3DO is tiny and you can risk losing it when the CR2032 finally discharges and needs replacement. If you get the backup unit you can shuffle off any large save files you need to, and preserve your files for sure when you need to a battery replacement in the console.

I can say I definitely do not $222 care for the only one on eBay :gonk: Though I do appreciate the heads up at any rate and will be mindful of my savegames but wow.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PANASONIC-3...=item4adae00486

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
When you get your 3DO then, you might want to check if it has any savegames on it already that you want to use, and then go ahead and replace the battery preemptively. The battery will last a good 16-20 years apparently so you'd be good for the forseeable future.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
Retro PC poo poo incoming...

Just a bog standard P3, eh?

A cool little adapter added on to run the Tualatin core P3 in older boards.

Win98 was being a bitch and didn't wanna boot in normal mode, feh, I'll fix it later

Host board.

The point of all this?
If you care about playing old poo poo slot-1 works well because you can get speeds between 133MHz and 1.4GHz.

A+++ Would buy again.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

I just want to say that this is the best thread. Every day something amazing gets posted.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sometimes you just find something magical when you get a game you've never heard of and no one talks about. This is not one of those times.

Smashing Drive feels like someone at Namco played Crazy Taxi and Carmaggedon and said, "Let's make them one game!" And then they handed it off to the guys who weren't good enough for the Ridge Racer team and told them they had three months. It started as an arcade game and that shows in how it plays, but they made the game even worse by making the wrong kinds of concessions when they brought it home.

The premise of the game is that you have a souped up cab, you pick up a fare, and then you race to that destination in New York City against another taxi. Except in the home versions they don't have you picking up that fare. So now it's just a race against another taxi and if you get there first you get points and if you don't then you get nothing. It's also a check point race where the clock is ticking down and you have to pass checkpoints to get more time. Along the way there's hidden routes, power ups, and the stuff that you'd expect.

Now I'll be the first person to admit that driving games are not my forte. For me it's essentially Crazy Taxi, 3D Mario Karts, and Burnout Paradise. So it's safe to say that realistic driving is not one of my priorities. Smashing Drive takes being unreal to another level. Check this out:

You get sucked into the paths for jumps and power ups. You bounce like a pinball. Theoretically you can go up on two wheels to smash other cars, but the pace is so frantic that you're not likely going to be able to do that.

The power ups are a boring group. There's not a lot of them and the majority of them might as well be reduced to one that says "smash cars ahead of you". All of the power ups require you to do a stunt to get them, but as I pointed out, the stunts are all done for you.

Your racing rival isn't a lot of fun, either. He doesn't just rubber band, if by some miracle you manage to pass him, he's always right behind you. He's faster than you despite having the exact same car. The only way to win is short cuts and power ups , driving better doesn't help.

I was so unhappy with Smashing Drive that I popped in Crazy Taxi for a bit after playing it.

(Hmmm.... as long as I've got the Xbox hooked up to my capture box, I might as well pull out something special to share. Who likes Xbox games that were Japanese exclusives?)

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 22, 2015

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Random Stranger posted:

Sometimes you just find something magical when you get a game you've never heard of and no one talks about. This is not one of those times.

Smashing Drive feels like someone at Namco played Crazy Taxi and Carmaggedon and said, "Let's make them one game!" And then they handed it off to the guys who weren't good enough for the Ridge Racer team and told them they had three months. It started as an arcade game and that shows in how it plays, but they made the game even worse by making the wrong kinds of concessions when they brought it home.

The premise of the game is that you have a souped up cab, you pick up a fare, and then you race to that destination in New York City against another taxi. Except in the home versions they don't have you picking up that fare. So now it's just a race against another taxi and if you get there first you get points and if you don't then you get nothing. It's also a check point race where the clock is ticking down and you have to pass checkpoints to get more time. Along the way there's hidden routes, power ups, and the stuff that you'd expect.

Now I'll be the first person to admit that driving games are not my forte. For me it's essentially Crazy Taxi, 3D Mario Karts, and Burnout Paradise. So it's safe to say that realistic driving is not one of my priorities. Smashing Drive takes being unreal to another level. Check this out:

You get sucked into the paths for jumps and power ups. You bounce like a pinball. Theoretically you can go up on two wheels to smash other cars, but the pace is so frantic that you're not likely going to be able to do that.

The power ups are a boring group. There's not a lot of them and the majority of them might as well be reduced to one that says "smash cars ahead of you". All of the power ups require you to do a stunt to get them, but as I pointed out, the stunts are all done for you.

Your racing rival isn't a lot of fun, either. He doesn't just rubber band, if by some miracle you manage to pass him, he's always right behind you. He's faster than you despite having the exact same car. The only way to win is short cuts and power ups , driving better doesn't help.

I was so unhappy with Smashing Drive that I popped in Crazy Taxi for a bit after playing it.

(Hmmm.... as long as I've got the Xbox hooked up to my capture box, I might as well pull out something special to share. Who likes Xbox games that were Japanese exclusives?)

I never got a chance to play this game in any form and it always looked like something I'd enjoy. Too bad it's crap. How does a game called "Smashing Drive" manage to be so bland? It looks like it should be frantic and crazy but something's off....

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

d0s posted:

Jaki Crush
Caravan Shooting Collection (if you don't have these games on NES already)
Kat's Run (if you like weird racing games)
Puyo Puyo 1/2
Dezaemon
Kidou Soku Dion (released in the US as "Imperium" but the JP release has way better graphics due to extra ROM space)

Seconding Gundam Endless Duel and Umihara Kawase

Also check out the original Clock Tower! :)

Umihara Kawase is actually an unlockable on the Vita iteration of the game that's available now surprisingly. Either way there is no game on earth like it.

Smashing Drive was always crap even in the arcades. It was more of an amusement thing with a huge sit down cabinet. I want to say it's on the same engine as that 3D fast tank combat game that's way better that Namco put out around the same time.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

I never got a chance to play this game in any form and it always looked like something I'd enjoy. Too bad it's crap. How does a game called "Smashing Drive" manage to be so bland? It looks like it should be frantic and crazy but something's off....

The only thing it does well is that it's fast paced (which is why my screenshots look like crap, it was changing things up faster than I had my capture settings going for). But then everything is low resolution and not very detailed. I'd rather pop in one of the F-Zeros if I wanted something along those lines.

Neo Rasa posted:

Smashing Drive was always crap even in the arcades. It was more of an amusement thing with a huge sit down cabinet. I want to say it's on the same engine as that 3D fast tank combat game that's way better that Namco put out around the same time.

I've enjoyed a lot of the ports of the novelty arcade machines (I am, after all, the biggest Densha de Go fan in the thread) and this is just out and out bad. I didn't even get into how the arcade content is locked in the home version and you have to complete each course with enough points to unlock the next one.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 22, 2015

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

you're neglecting to mention that smashing drive is also the most fire album of 2000 http://dreamandfriends.com/2011/04/07/smashing-drive-gaelco-2000/

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Neo Rasa posted:

I seem to remember having a lot of fun playing Smashing Drive in the arcades, and I seem to recall it having a shaker motor in it, which gave the powerups that certain oomph that makes it a bit more exciting. Then again, I also seem to remember being like ten or so when I played it, so that might explain that.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
That recent firmware update for the XRGB fixed how scanlines look in 1080p. Take a gander at this

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

Ooh! Me! Me!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Caitlin posted:

I'm gonna have a 3DO soon and that's FUKKEN SWEET. :neckbeard:

Get Star Control 2 immediately, right the gently caress now. Also get Wolf 3D, it's the best port of the game by far.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I'm getting a 32x to make a Neptune prototype. This is going to be fun!

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
Yuzo Koshiro's been posting more documents from Streets of Rage 2's development, including some concept art.

http://ancgames.blog28.fc2.com/blog-entry-55.html

Champeenship fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 22, 2015

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

nofaves posted:

So I finally snipped the tabs on my Super NES, allowing me to play Super Famicom games.

So tell me, retro game thread, what good, cheap, easy to understand if i don't speak Japanese-type games or hidden gems should i now buy for my regionless console?

I think I mentioned Battle Tycoon: Flash Hiders SFX earlier in this thread. It's a solid fighting game with some interesting stuff to do outside of the matches. You can shift your stats around before each fight, and there's a lightweight RPG mode where you can upgrade equipments and gain levels.

It used to be dirt cheap, but it hovers around $15 shipped these days.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I hate this loving game so much because they could have made a good port of Radikal Bikers, the only good thing Gaelco has ever done, but noooo have a home port game that's even poo poo in the arcades

e: don't you dare suggest namco had anything to do with the creation of this, they just published it. it's by a poo poo spanish dev called gaelco

e:

Random Stranger posted:

(I am, after all, the biggest Densha de Go fan in the thread)

I've actually just started getting into DDG (been playing a burn of the DC one) and I'm loving it. I seriously want to shell out the $80ish for a controller.

d0s fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Apr 22, 2015

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.
doujindance has an NEC PC Engine DUO up for sale right now. Someone buy this so I'm not tempted to.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201335591540

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Random Stranger posted:

I've enjoyed a lot of the ports of the novelty arcade machines (I am, after all, the biggest Densha de Go fan in the thread)

*Googles*

Wait what? That sounds horrible, but it has such good reviews. Well i've got to play it now. Dreamcast the best version?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Is there anything at all of importance that a genuine Gamecube can do that can't be accomplished with a Wii with GC ports and Nintendont, besides Gameboy Player stuff? (And of course besides :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames: on component cables)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

evobatman posted:

Is there anything at all of importance that a genuine Gamecube can do that can't be accomplished with a Wii with GC ports and Nintendont, besides Gameboy Player stuff? (And of course besides :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames: on component cables)

Online Play for all three games that support it :v:.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Not strictly retro, but what are some of the best games for the Nintendo DS? I found my old one and I've only played the Phoenix Wright games.

I'm thinking one of the Pokemon ones and...?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Well, there is some retro stuff you can play on the DS. Chrono Trigger, Intellivision Lives, and Retro Game Challenge out of the top of my head. All worth checking out. For more DS recommendations go here. edit: And yes, get Ghost Trick ASAP.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If you liked Phoenix Wright, get Ghost Trick.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Personally, I'd recommend 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors above anything else. If you're into story-based games, this is the best the DS has to offer. Hotel Dusk is pretty intriguing as well.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RodShaft posted:

*Googles*

Wait what? That sounds horrible, but it has such good reviews. Well i've got to play it now. Dreamcast the best version?

No, the best version is Densha de Go! Final on the PS2. Best lines, most content, smoothest controls.

A while back I made a video where I ran through all of the PS2 games in the series along with a few from the rival series Train Simulator.

Regarding the series as a whole, the early games are a lot harder than the newer ones. It started as an arcade game, after all. The PlayStation games (and the Wonderswan games as a result) reflect this attitude and they are brutally hard. I still need to get the steam train version for the PS1, but I'm going to assume it follows the same concept. The Dreamcast and Nintendo 64 versions are based on Densha de Go! 2 with some additional content, so they're pretty difficult but you can see the concessions that the series is making toward the home player in those games. Avoid the Professional games until you've played some of the other ones; they're not harder but they are more demanding with lines that take hours to run and more technical driving. The Shinkansen game is the worst in the series, avoid it completely.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

TheMcD posted:

Personally, I'd recommend 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors above anything else. If you're into story-based games, this is the best the DS has to offer. Hotel Dusk is pretty intriguing as well.

999, while very good, is not the best story-based game the DS has to offer. That honor goes to Ghost Trick.

Hotel Dusk is great too and if you end up getting it and liking it, there's a sequel that never came to America that got a full English release over in Europe so you can import that and play it on any region DS or 3DS system.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ChaosArgate posted:

999, while very good, is not the best story-based game the DS has to offer. That honor goes to Ghost Trick.

Hotel Dusk is great too and if you end up getting it and liking it, there's a sequel that never came to America that got a full English release over in Europe so you can import that and play it on any region DS or 3DS system.

Huh, I never knew Last Window only got a PAL release. And yes, DS games are completely region-free. Games with DSi features are region-locked, but only if you actually play them with a DSi (or maybe a 3DS too, I'm not quite sure if that'll check it).

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

nofaves posted:

Ball Bullet Gun is pretty rad.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So I'd never heard of the CD-i until discovering this thread, but it seems like it's discussed on every page. Is there something I'm missing about this system that is good? All the games look like turds based on the youtube videos I watched :shrug:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

hot sauce posted:

Is there something I'm missing about this system that is good?

Haha, god no. Stay away. This is only for the hardcore :retrogames: spender.

Not joking. Even in 1996, I remember everyone feeling incredibly disturbed by how lovely it was and that was 20 years ago when people were way more acceptable on lovely game experiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hot sauce posted:

So I'd never heard of the CD-i until discovering this thread, but it seems like it's discussed on every page. Is there something I'm missing about this system that is good? All the games look like turds based on the youtube videos I watched :shrug:

Laser Lords is good.

Saoshyant posted:

Haha, god no. Stay away. This is only for the hardcore :retrogames: spender.

Not joking. Even in 1996, I remember everyone feeling incredibly disturbed by how lovely it was and that was 20 years ago when people were way more acceptable on lovely game experiences.

In 1996 the CD-i was 5 year old hardware, of course it was super lovely by then. It was pretty decent hardware for 1990 when it was originally supposed to be released, or 1991 when it finally was released, but had no hope of standing up to the Playstation that would already be out by 1996, let alone the N64 or Saturn.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 22, 2015

• Locked thread