Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bairfanx posted:

God, why do I even read TVIV?

Fixed that for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Dacap posted:

Netflix has announced that Daredevil is renewed for season 2 to air in 2016 with Doug Petrie and Marco Ramirez taking over showrunners.

This is really interesting cause it means they aren't sticking to the initial 4 solo series leading to Defenders strategy. It looks like any of these shows could get a second season right away if they're successful.

http://deadline.com/2015/04/marvel-daredevil-renewed-season-2-netflix-1201413923/

Said it in the other thread but knowing that all the plot points that I wanted followed up on won't just be smushed into Defenders solves any issues I had with the first season. Bring on more of the Hand, trial of the Kingpin, Elektra and maybe Bullseye and just more Matt, Foggy and Karen

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Apparently Blake Neely, who you may know as the composer for such acclaimed programs as Arrow, Flash, and Everwood, is composing the score for Supergirl as well? So he's literally scoring every one of these. He'll probably do the upcoming Legends show too.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

bairfanx posted:

God, why do I even read the TVIV Flash thread?
They dropping spoilers like cluster bombs again?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ufarn posted:

They dropping spoilers like cluster bombs again?

No they hate the show now. One guy unironically said "the writing has really jumped the shark".

Also I'm so over the wall-to-wall whining about Iris. I was over it actually when it was wall-to-wall whining about Laurel. I'm not throwing around accusations of misogyny or anything, but it's always female characters the internet is bitching about.

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 22, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The show isn't bad, well last episode was bad and this week's was half bad, but otherwise it's still fine. Some people just have a really hard time dealing with criticism of something they like. Also Iris is written very poorly and I say that as someone that always liked Laurel on Arrow.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

No they hate the show now. One guy unironically said "the writing has really jumped the shark".

Also I'm so over the wall-to-wall whining about Iris. I was over it actually when it was wall-to-wall whining about Laurel. I'm not throwing around accusations of misogyny or anything, but it's always female characters the internet is bitching about.

The problem with Iris though is there's no light at the end of that tunnel.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I agree Iris isn't great I just don't like reading xn iterations of ways for posters to say "ugh Iris".

And I don't have a problem with good criticism, that is not what we get.

Aphrodite posted:

The problem with Iris though is there's no light at the end of that tunnel.

All men must die.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

My biggest criticism is that outside of the Rogues, Trickster, and Reverse Flash every other villain on the show has been at best mediocre and at worst laughable. Doesn't help they often pick terrible actors for those roles.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its kind of weird how characters seem to have a lot more fun on Flash than Arrow. Like Laurel's guest spot last night was all smiles and jokes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

muscles like this? posted:

Its kind of weird how characters seem to have a lot more fun on Flash than Arrow. Like Laurel's guest spot last night was all smiles and jokes.

That's not weird, it's an intentional tone shift between the shows.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Deadpool posted:

My biggest criticism is that outside of the Rogues, Trickster, and Reverse Flash every other villain on the show has been at best mediocre and at worst laughable. Doesn't help they often pick terrible actors for those roles.

I think it's weirdly down to how GOOD the Flash's normal rogues are. You can't waste Mirror Master or Captain Cold on a throwaway mid-season episode, so they need to dig deeper for those freaks-of-the-week.

I wouldn't even say this week was bad, it was just a run-of-the-mill episode, outside of the Wells plot. Which, of course, means that the internet screams for blood and declares it to be the worst crime since Auschwitz.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

declares it to be the worst crime since Auschwitz.

No that's the meta prison.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gaz-L posted:

I think it's weirdly down to how GOOD the Flash's normal rogues are. You can't waste Mirror Master or Captain Cold on a throwaway mid-season episode, so they need to dig deeper for those freaks-of-the-week.

I wouldn't even say this week was bad, it was just a run-of-the-mill episode, outside of the Wells plot. Which, of course, means that the internet screams for blood and declares it to be the worst crime since Auschwitz.

This week wasn't bad, but it was dumb. And that's kind of worse. I mean two episodes ago we saw Barry give injections to an entire room full of people in two seconds and this week he has to struggle with doing the same thing to one guy for five minutes. I understand that you want a certain amount of dramatic tension regarding Flash going up against people that he should handle easily in seconds based on his powers, but you'd think there would be a smarter way to do it than that. Like maybe don't make the way to beat him be the exact thing he did in two seconds two episodes ago?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

zoux posted:

I said that, and I was definitely exaggerating. The last four episodes of the show have been really frustrating and just not very good other than the 1-2 comic fanservice scenes per episode where everyone geeks out and goes "oh man when all this stuff finally happens its going to be sooooooooooo crazy." That poo poo is cool, but it can't carry a whole show when the rest of the episode is incredibly stupid.

I don't watch Arrow either so everyone is like oh man it was so great to see Laurel that really was a good point. It doesn't mean anything to me. The show isn't doing the best job of just standing on its own anymore.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mikeraskol posted:

I said that, and I was definitely exaggerating. The last four episodes of the show have been really frustrating and just not very good other than the 1-2 comic fanservice scenes per episode where everyone geeks out and goes "oh man when all this stuff finally happens its going to be sooooooooooo crazy." That poo poo is cool, but when the rest of the episode is incredible stupid, what's the point?

I don't watch Arrow either so everyone is like oh man it was so great to see Laurel that really was a good point. It doesn't mean anything to me. The show isn't doing the best job of just standing on its own anymore.

That's not new though. It's always been that way, they just had more fanservice moments to use and now it's slowing down.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Well, the thing with Laurel was that in Arrow, things have been pretty intense and heavy this season, so she's basically been Angsty McCriesalot, in between bouts of beating up muggers to avoid her own issues. I literally don't think she's smiled since the first episode of this season, so her joking around and taking a convention-style selfie for Cisco was refreshing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mikeraskol posted:

I said that, and I was definitely exaggerating. The last four episodes of the show have been really frustrating and just not very good other than the 1-2 comic fanservice scenes per episode where everyone geeks out and goes "oh man when all this stuff finally happens its going to be sooooooooooo crazy." That poo poo is cool, but it can't carry a whole show when the rest of the episode is incredibly stupid.

It's the first loving season man.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

zoux posted:

I agree Iris isn't great I just don't like reading xn iterations of ways for posters to say "ugh Iris".

And I don't have a problem with good criticism, that is not what we get.

All men must die.
Some of the most annoying critics are usually people bouncing back from effusive worship at the beginning.

The annoying thing about the episode was that it felt like nothing happened, and served as more as some kind of filler episode. I would have imagined that more would have happened given the previews and title of the episode. The show has been pretty decent at keeping up the pace, but not it's as if they are low on story and have to spread it out up to what I assume is some epic finale.

But they'll forget every criticism, as soon as Grodd stomps some faces.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

zoux posted:

It's the first loving season man.

And this means what?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mikeraskol posted:

And this means what?

It means all these episodes were written and produced at the same time. This isn't some trend of decline that you can point to over seasons, the same system that produced all the episodes you loved is the same one that made these. You're going to have ebb and flow over 22 episode seasons, saying things like "show isn't standing on it's own any more" or the more ludicrous "jumped the shark" implies that the show has crossed some sort of creative Rubicon it cannot come back from.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

It means all these episodes were written and produced at the same time.

Do you know how TV works?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Do you know how TV works?

Who me? No.

Did you read the rest of my post or are you seriously arguing that I think all episodes of all shows are produced simultaneously?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Who me? No.

Did you read the rest of my post or are you seriously arguing that I think all episodes of all shows are produced simultaneously?

To argue that writing near the end of a season can't be different from the beginning is dumb. You can absolutely point to a trend within a season. In fact this season of Arrow is a good example of this. The beginning of this season was pretty rough and the last half has been great. What he's saying is that there were always dumb things about Flash, and there were just the same as Arrow, but most of it has been given a pass by the highs of the shows. And that's true of both shows. When you have episodes that don't have those highs you tend to notice the things you overlook when you do have them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

To argue that writing near the end of a season can't be different from the beginning is dumb. You can absolutely point to a trend within a season. In fact this season of Arrow is a good example of this. The beginning of this season was pretty rough and the last half has been great. What he's saying is that there were always dumb things about Flash, and there were just the same as Arrow, but most of it has been given a pass by the highs of the shows. And that's true of both shows. When you have episodes that don't have those highs you tend to notice the things you overlook when you do have them.

I'm not arguing that, I'm saying declarations of show sucks now may be premature. Once posters around here decide a show is bad, it's very difficult to come back and there seems to be a competition to be the first to loudly declare that a show is now bad, henceforth and forever.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

I'm not arguing that, I'm saying declarations of show sucks now may be premature. Once posters around here decide a show is bad, it's very difficult to come back and there seems to be a competition to be the first to loudly declare that a show is now bad, henceforth and forever.

Declarations of "show sucks now" should just be ignored because anyone willing to write off entire shows based on one or two subpar episodes shouldn't even be argued with.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

zoux posted:

Nobody is saying the show will never be good again. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the last couple of episodes of this season are going to be insane and awesome. I'm saying that the last four episodes have sucked and have been spinning their wheels.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mikeraskol posted:

Nobody is saying the show will never be good again. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the last couple of episodes of this season are going to be insane and awesome. I'm saying that the last four episodes have sucked and have been spinning their wheels.

Then maybe don't use ridiculous terms like jumped the shark bud.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

zoux posted:

Then maybe don't use ridiculous terms like jumped the shark bud.

mikeraskol posted:

I said that, and I was definitely exaggerating.

I'll make sure I watch my language in the TVIV thread as the episode is going on from now on, lest I offend you bud.

It's not like I said it after Barry did the most retarded thing I've ever seen done by anyone in a TV show. "HEY EDDIE HOW ARE YOU THEY LET YOU OUT THAT'S GREAT LET'S GO GET THAT THERE SHAPESHIFTER!!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've read that 22 episode seasons may be on the way out. I don't know if that would be a good thing or a bad thing.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I'm fine with people saying a show sucks. I think Arrow is back to sucking, but it's still good fun to watch, as long as you can fast forward past the relationship and feels cruft.

I get whiplash from saying Flash has instantaneously started sucking, though; it's something like three episodes ago when people pissed themselves with nerdish glee, and now it's somehow The Worst Thing Ever?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

ufarn posted:

I'm fine with people saying a show sucks. I think Arrow is back to sucking, but it's still good fun to watch, as long as you can fast forward past the relationship and feels cruft.

I get whiplash from saying Flash has instantaneously started sucking, though; it's something like three episodes ago when people pissed themselves with nerdish glee, and now it's somehow The Worst Thing Ever?

I think that might be because they had an episode with giant revelations and plot points like Wells revealing himself and killing Cisco, Barry telling Iris he's the Flash, etc and it was immediately walked back the next episode

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think the only people using the term worst thing ever are the ones complaining about people supposedly calling it the worst thing ever. The hyperbole is eating its own tail.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

ufarn posted:

I don't know if you noticed, but most discussions on this forum are hyperbolic.

That said, there is a subset of viewers who seem to really latch onto the fact that The Flash keeps throwing ridiculous comic-book poo poo out there, and apparently, they get bored when that doesn't happen every week. The show has been pretty consistently written, and it certainly has its ups and downs. I think I would have preferred not knowing Harrison Wells was Eobard Thawne until Barry himself found out, however. There's been a lot of tension, but the audience has been clued in on things since Episode 1 (for the most part, I know there was some question about who/what Wells was). There's not a lot of surprise, there, we're just waiting for Barry and the gang to catch up to what we already know. They made a conscious decision to stretch that particular plot-line out for the whole season, and I think that's contributing to these 'throw-away' episodes. There are good and bad things about their approach.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Last night's Flash was pretty par for the course, imo. I enjoyed it. The Iris stuff is old, but it isn't even her fault that much at this point. The writers don't know what to do with her, and as someone mentioned earlier, her not knowing the truth is actually putting her in more danger. Last night's episode was proof of that. Her wanting to take that meta in herself is something that happened because she doesn't know poo poo.

Also, on a side note, it was super weird seeing Laurel so happy.

AoS was alright again.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

I think the only people using the term worst thing ever are the ones complaining about people supposedly calling it the worst thing ever. The hyperbole is eating its own tail.

Mate have you read the Arrow thread?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Mate have you read the Arrow thread?

Yes. We were talking about Flash specifically though. And even then your point is what? There's a couple of people that have expressed they don't like the direction of the show. They've given reasons for that. If you don't agree that's fine but it doesn't make their opinions invalid. I think the show has been great since mid season, but if someone else thinks not why should I care?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Yes. We were talking about Flash specifically though. And even then your point is what? There's a couple of people that have expressed they don't like the direction of the show. They've given reasons for that. If you don't agree that's fine but it doesn't make their opinions invalid. I think the show has been great since mid season, but if someone else thinks not why should I care?

No, we're talking about the moment where the conventional wisdom turns against a show and never turns back. And the Arrow thread is perfectly indicative of that behavior, as the majority of people are still whining about how terrible the show is even though it's been consistently good to great since the midseason finale.

Chokes McGee posted:

You want legit bad writing, we have this other DC show that comes on tonight. You can pretty much head straight to the trough and drink your fill. (Though hopefully less so now that Ollie's starting to pull his head out of his rear end)

From the Flash thread.

And bro if you don't a care about other people's opinions about poo poo why read TV forums at all?

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 22, 2015

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I expected the Flash thread to be wall to wall bitching after reading this thread, and it wasn't bad at all. A few people voiced actual complaints about the quality of the last few episodes. I really like the Flash, but I'd be lying if I said the show didn't have a lot of little problems that bring it down for me overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

zoux posted:

No, we're talking about the moment where the conventional wisdom turns against a show and never turns back. And the Arrow thread is perfectly indicative of that behavior, as the majority of people are still whining about how terrible the show is even though it's been consistently good to great since the midseason finale.

From the Flash thread.

And bro if you don't a care about other people's opinions about poo poo why read TV forums at all?

People are calling you out on your use of words like "majority". One way to settle this would be to count the number of posters complaining and compare them to the number of ones not complaining. Because one person posting a lot isn't a majority of posters. (I don't read those threads, I am just pointing out the obvious.) What you guys are going back and forth over is completely measurable if you take the time to do it. No sense in arguing whether its a majority or not when you can count and be 100% sure.