Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

RandomCheese posted:

System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist will tell you what version of OS X is installed.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
Finally brought my Hackintosh out of the dark ages (10.6.8) into 10.10.2. I mostly use this machine for audio/video production stuff.

Very happy to see my R9 280x (used for games on Windows install) is now natively supported.

Very very sad to see my hardware RAID (3ware/LSI 9650SE-12ML) appears to no longer be supported :(

Can anyone recommend a hardware RAID that works well with Yosemite? Need RAID-6, between 6-8 drives ideally... or something better than RAID-6? Not sure of the current market - I want to have a good level of redundancy.

admiraldennis fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 30, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Anything with 10.10.3 to be concerned about?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

kitten smoothie posted:

Anything with 10.10.3 to be concerned about?

Update the Nvidia WebDriver, if you use it. New version is out, autoupdate has it. Short of that, no.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
So after years of having my Hackintosh work perfectly, the 14D136 supplemental update that came out today wrecked video output for me on a GTX 660 Ti. Installing the Nvidia web drive didn't work either, so I'm not really sure what to do except roll back to 10.10.2.

e: actually maybe I didn't get the Nvidia drivers working after all. Every time I boot it up (I had to enable screen sharing via ssh first :smithicide:) it still says it's using the OS X default driver. I'm using Clover if it helps.

e2: ahaha I accidentally deleted my Time Machine backup by unplugging it from my Airport Extreme and plugging it into a USB port please kill me

e3: tried installing the 10.10.2 combo update over my existing install – don't do that, it rendered it unbootable. I had to cannibalize an old MacBook Pro I had laying around to get at a 2.5" disk to pop in an enclosure to boot OS X off of (thanks for switching to SSDs, crapple :argh:). Infuriatingly slowly (yay 4800 rpm disk) installed the 10.10.3 update and it boots, but I still have the same problem: no video output on my monitor and when I remote into it it's 1280x1024 and says it's using an internal display (on a MacPro6,1 SMBIOS). I downloaded the supplemental update to see what it did (not much, actually) and I'm trying to revert what it installed with the 10.10.3 combo update with Pacifist, so we'll see how that works out.

e4: welp that didn't work either. I guess I'll just re-install...

e5: what the gently caress, I guess you can disregard everything above because I can't get any video out of this goddamn thing at all anymore. Good thing I coincidentally bought a new video card today? :shrug: Now I guess I'll finally have to figure out how to get the integrated Intel video working.

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 17, 2015

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
I have Intel video working (literally a one-line edit) now and since I have a GTX 970 on the way I'd still like to get the Nvidia web drivers working; they apparently can be enabled with the control panel but that doesn't persist between reboots. My 660 Ti is still kinda working (it boots Windows but there's constant driver crashes) so I'd still like to figure out why it won't stay enabled. I do have nvda_drv=1 as a boot flag in my Clover config.plist, so I'm not really sure what's going on.

e: ps this is what shows up in System Profiler with injection on:

Normally I'd boot without injection and it would detect the card fine (as just "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti"), but without it on it shows up as "NVIDIA Chip Model" now.

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 17, 2015

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Is the 560 ti no longer supported? I get random freezes and weird graphical issues when running Pixelmator. Most I could find was to turn on 16bit color mode but that didn't reduce the freezing. If I don't run any graphic editing software then I don't have any issues.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
Yay, I was able to get my 660 Ti working again:

Intel graphics have to be disabled and the Nvidia web drivers still don't work, though.

e: huh, I guess it actually is loaded? OpenGL Driver Monitor seems to think so:

guess I'll have to wait until I have an unsupported card to find out for sure.

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 17, 2015

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Is the 560 ti no longer supported? I get random freezes and weird graphical issues when running Pixelmator. Most I could find was to turn on 16bit color mode but that didn't reduce the freezing. If I don't run any graphic editing software then I don't have any issues.

Go read up on something referred to as the "Fermi Freeze". There is something about the 560 ti and OS X that just do not get along. I had to take my 560 ti card out of my system and use the onboard video to stop the random freezes and system lock ups.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration
I have random freezes and I'm using two ATI cards on Yosemite :(

(basically everything intermittently freezes up maybe twice a minute; so typing is delayed, etc - really annoying)

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

I'm having a problem with Yosemite where I can't get the App Store to load anything. My internet works fine and the App store program starts, but stays blank with the loading swirly spinning.

Ideas?

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

ModeSix posted:

I'm having a problem with Yosemite where I can't get the App Store to load anything. My internet works fine and the App store program starts, but stays blank with the loading swirly spinning.

Ideas?

when this happens, I just reboot and it's OK. I'm on Mavericks.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Hi, I'm loving about trying to install Yosemite: I can get through the install process just fine but when I reboot into the OS proper it loads for a while (until the progress bar is about halfway) then my monitor loses signal, goes into standby, turns on again, displays no signal again ad infinitum. Is there anything I'm missing here? Running R9 290X, asrock z77 extreme3, Intel 3570k.

e: I can get through the installer without any boot flags to speak of, though it does run in 4:3 and a bit slowly. I guess that's normal though.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 18, 2015

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Generic Monk posted:

Hi, I'm loving about trying to install Yosemite: I can get through the install process just fine but when I reboot into the OS proper it loads for a while (until the progress bar is about halfway) then my monitor loses signal, goes into standby, turns on again, displays no signal again ad infinitum. Is there anything I'm missing here? Running R9 290X, asrock z77 extreme3, Intel 3570k.

e: I can get through the installer without any boot flags to speak of, though it does run in 4:3 and a bit slowly. I guess that's normal though.

When the display loses signal over and over, try unplugging it and plugging it back in. From what I've read support for the R9 290x is pretty spotty since it has architectural differences from the 290M in the 5K iMac.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
What method are you using? Clover?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Beeftweeter posted:

When the display loses signal over and over, try unplugging it and plugging it back in. From what I've read support for the R9 290x is pretty spotty since it has architectural differences from the 290M in the 5K iMac.

Yup. Even in Windows it has issues properly detecting a 2560x1440 display at higher than 1080p and I have to apply a 3rd party driver patch; afaik nothing similar exists on the Mac side.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Unplugging the cable and putting it back in again worked; thanks beeftweeter. Now running fully accelerated native 2560x1440 which is wonderful, although I did dick around in safe mode, with the dog slow VESA driver, fiddled with a bunch of kexts and reinstalled a couple of times before seeing your post :doh:

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Demie posted:

when this happens, I just reboot and it's OK. I'm on Mavericks.

I've tried that still no success. :(

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Beeftweeter posted:

So after years of having my Hackintosh work perfectly, the 14D136 supplemental update that came out today wrecked video output for me on a GTX 660 Ti. Installing the Nvidia web drive didn't work either, so I'm not really sure what to do except roll back to 10.10.2.

Weird. I have an old 660 in a drawer and it works fine....are you set as Mac Pro 3,1? 10.10.3 flips out and outputs no video if you are set as MacPro6,1 with a NVIDIA card.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

enMTW posted:

Weird. I have an old 660 in a drawer and it works fine....are you set as Mac Pro 3,1? 10.10.3 flips out and outputs no video if you are set as MacPro6,1 with a NVIDIA card.

No, I'm using the MacPro6,1 SMBIOS. I was able to get it to work with my 660 on 10.10.3 by replacing /usr/libexec/displaypolicyd with the version from 10.10.2 and then set my BIOS (GA-Z87X-UD3H F9) to force it to be detected as a "Gen3" PCI-E card to get it up to full bandwidth. My 970 came today so I'm going to install that a little later and see how it goes.

e: I also disabled all of Clover's DSDT patches but I'm not really sure if that did much of anything beyond some of my onboard devices not being labeled correctly. I'm just going to keep it that way because I don't want to break anything :ohdear:

e2: oh I guess the 970 isn't happening. See this post

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 19, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Beeftweeter posted:

No, I'm using the MacPro6,1 SMBIOS. I was able to get it to work with my 660 on 10.10.3 by replacing /usr/libexec/displaypolicyd with the version from 10.10.2 and then set my BIOS (GA-Z87X-UD3H F9) to force it to be detected as a "Gen3" PCI-E card to get it up to full bandwidth. My 970 came today so I'm going to install that a little later and see how it goes.

e: I also disabled all of Clover's DSDT patches but I'm not really sure if that did much of anything beyond some of my onboard devices not being labeled correctly. I'm just going to keep it that way because I don't want to break anything :ohdear:

e2: oh I guess the 970 isn't happening. See this post

Sorry For Your Loss with the 970.

Try changing your SMBios. You should be able to use your 660 natively. if you remember what DSDT patches you disabled, flip them back on. It won't hurt. Worse case scenario, you can flip them off again through the Clover boot menu.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 20, 2015

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

enMTW posted:

Sorry For Your Loss with the 970.

Try changing your SMBios. You should be able to use your 660 natively. if you remember what DSDT patches you disabled, flip them back on. It won't hurt. Worse case scenario, you can flip them off again through the Clover boot menu.

I should be getting a replacement for that 970 tomorrow so it's not that bad really. I was reading about the 6,1 SMBIOS issue with Nvidia cards and it looks like someone found an alternate (easier) way to deal with it: if you change a line in

AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist

find

<key>ConfigMap</key>
<dict>
<key>Mac-F60DEB81FF30ACF6</key>
<string>Config1</string>
</dict>

change to

<string>none</string>

and it should work. No luck making a Clover patch for this so far though since replacement strings need to be the same length. I haven't tried myself but binary patching /usr/libexec/displaypolicyd probably wouldn't work for the same reason.

Maybe it'll become an option in a future update? I guess an injector kext similar to HDAEnabler could work also.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Beeftweeter posted:

I should be getting a replacement for that 970 tomorrow so it's not that bad really. I was reading about the 6,1 SMBIOS issue with Nvidia cards and it looks like someone found an alternate (easier) way to deal with it: if you change a line in

AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist

find

<key>ConfigMap</key>
<dict>
<key>Mac-F60DEB81FF30ACF6</key>
<string>Config1</string>
</dict>

change to

<string>none</string>

and it should work. No luck making a Clover patch for this so far though since replacement strings need to be the same length. I haven't tried myself but binary patching /usr/libexec/displaypolicyd probably wouldn't work for the same reason.

Maybe it'll become an option in a future update? I guess an injector kext similar to HDAEnabler could work also.

Yeah, if you null out the AGC it works fine. People had to do that before to enable MST.

Still, setting the right SMBios is the way to go.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 21, 2015

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm trying to get 10.6.8 working on a Dell mini 9. I'm following this guide:

http://tlhaas.blogspot.com/2012/09/installing-snow-leopard-ver-1068-on.html

But when I try to run software update for the 10.6.8 update, it says I don't have enough disk space (16GB SSD). Are there any files I can move temporarily to an external so I can apply this update? I need to free up ~550MB.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

enMTW posted:

Yeah, if you null out the AGC it works fine. People had to do that before to enable MST.

Still, setting the right SMBios is the way to go.

Eh, I'm using a cloned 6,1 SMBIOS so I'll wait to see if 10.10.4 breaks something else before going to a generated 3,1 or 5,1.

Shaocaholica posted:

But when I try to run software update for the 10.6.8 update, it says I don't have enough disk space (16GB SSD). Are there any files I can move temporarily to an external so I can apply this update? I need to free up ~550MB.

You could try moving a few things you're not using from /Applications/. Just don't move anything from /Applications/Utilities/.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Applications gets me ~300M excluding utilities. Maybe even less. I might have to go into library. Any ideas?

edit: /Library/Fonts ? /Library/Caches ?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 21, 2015

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Shaocaholica posted:

Applications gets me ~300M excluding utilities. Maybe even less. I might have to go into library. Any ideas?

edit: /Library/Fonts ? /Library/Caches ?

If you move anything from /Library/ you should make a symlink to the folder and make sure it's accessible when you move it. I don't really recommend doing this though.

On another note,

yay!

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Shaocaholica posted:

Can you put the update dmg on an external usb drive and run it from there? That will probably help too.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

clockworx posted:

Can you put the update dmg on an external usb drive and run it from there? That will probably help too.

I would but the guide I'm following specifically says not to do that and to run the update via software update. Not sure why but the guy seems to know what hes talking about.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Beeftweeter posted:

Eh, I'm using a cloned 6,1 SMBIOS so I'll wait to see if 10.10.4 breaks something else before going to a generated 3,1 or 5,1.

Alright. Just saying, changing the model (to 3,1) alone is enough - you don't have to set your serial to something generated. You won't lose your iMessage, etc.

Just keep it mind if stuff breaks again, that's all. Glad the WebDriver worked on 6,1.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Shaocaholica posted:

I would but the guide I'm following specifically says not to do that and to run the update via software update. Not sure why but the guy seems to know what hes talking about.

My read of those instructions is to apply that update only (as opposed to multiple updates including that one ), but I get your interpretation as well.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Shaocaholica posted:

It really shouldn't matter, all of the same scripts will run anyway if you use the delta/combo installer since that's what Software Update downloads and installs for you anyway. Since you need a patched kernel I would make sure you copy and rename it to something other than "mach_kernel" first so that you can pass it as a boot argument if something breaks.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Thanks, I'll try running the combo installer from USB.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

With a 16 GB disk you should have oodles of space. I have my Mini 9 at 10.6.6 at the moment without too much fuss, but it's the new kernel in the .8 update that will mess with things.

Are you sure you're starting with a fresh blank SSD to install on? Snow Leopard with 10.6.6 is around 8-9GB total. But yeah, try copying the updater onto a USB and running it from there.

Also, try running WhatSize to see where your large folder are, down at the bottom of this page: http://whatsizemac.com/faq/

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 23, 2015

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I was able to run it off a USB no prob. Everything works in 10.6.8 for the most part except BT and display sleep. I can full sleep and wake fine but if only the display sleeps it never wakes leaving me with a black screen.

Also, itunes 11.4 does not want to run at all. Is it 64bit only? How can I tell? The CPU on this netbook is 32bit only. If thats the problem, is there anyway I can install an older working itunes?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Shaocaholica posted:

I was able to run it off a USB no prob. Everything works in 10.6.8 for the most part except BT and display sleep. I can full sleep and wake fine but if only the display sleeps it never wakes leaving me with a black screen.

Also, itunes 11.4 does not want to run at all. Is it 64bit only? How can I tell? The CPU on this netbook is 32bit only. If thats the problem, is there anyway I can install an older working itunes?

I doubt it's 64-bit only since 12.2 isn't, but you can find out by doing lipo -info /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes.

You can also force an application to open in 32-bit mode by right clicking on it, going to Get Info, then checking off the "open in 32-bit mode" box. If you want, you can also remove a universal binary's 64-bit code using lipo, but I don't really recommend doing that unless you're desperate to save space.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration
Does anybody here have an issue with intermittent 'freezing'?

For example: typing in a web URL or in a web forum and your letters stop showing up for 1-2 seconds then it 'catches up' and prints them all really fast. Or: scrolling down a web page, scrolling freezes up in-place then resumes and catches up.

This happens once every few minutes probably. It's at once not a big deal and completely maddening.

10.10.2 on an x58 (gigabyte) w/ 2x ATI cards (6xxx and 7xxx driver-wise).

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Fixed my itunes issue. Turns out some USBEthernet kext didn't get updated with 11.4. Just renamed that kext and re-installed itunes 11.4 and voila works now on this lovely netbook.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So is anyone interested in a Dell Vostro A90 (Mini 9 in black) with a fully functional* 10.6.8? I really don't know what I'd really do with mine other than play/stream music or ssh.

*As good as its going to get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

admiraldennis posted:

Does anybody here have an issue with intermittent 'freezing'?

For example: typing in a web URL or in a web forum and your letters stop showing up for 1-2 seconds then it 'catches up' and prints them all really fast. Or: scrolling down a web page, scrolling freezes up in-place then resumes and catches up.

This happens once every few minutes probably. It's at once not a big deal and completely maddening.

10.10.2 on an x58 (gigabyte) w/ 2x ATI cards (6xxx and 7xxx driver-wise).

Do you have a Logitech keyboard or mouse? Their horrible loving drivers crash literally every few minutes for me (look for LCCDaemon in Console) and sometimes when that happens I get what you're describing.

• Locked thread