Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Franks Happy Place posted:

If she won't listen to very simple, helpful, correct advice, just walk away.

Yeah that's my thinking haha. Thanks ya'll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Switched to Tangerine banking after reading the ridiculous fee increases in RBC accounts. I was already getting my chequing account dinged for $4.00 a month after closing down my savings account to open up my Questrade one, but I finally broke free from the "it's only 4 bucks, I'll do it later" stupor after the recommendations here. As soon as my paychecks and tax credits hit Tangerine's account, bye-bye RBC.

Now, I have to switch up my credit card, which is still linked to my RBC chequing account. Is Capital One still the go-to for the frugal and savvy Canadian saver? I barely use my CC as is, which means I'm probably missing out on a lot of rewards, because I pay everything by debit. I assume I should be using my CC more often, since I have zero debt and always pay what I owe on it?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Why is she not interested in e-series? I mean other than the months of paperwork and fuckups and people who don't know what they're doing. After that you're set.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Baronjutter posted:

Why is she not interested in e-series? I mean other than the months of paperwork and fuckups and people who don't know what they're doing. After that you're set.

This post made me realize that those fuckups and paperwork errors are entirely *on purpose*. They realized what they'd done by starting the e-series funds but can't just, you know, shut them down and hand everyone's money back, so they make getting access to them a gauntlet of inconvenience/incompetence.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
I'm going to assume a 34% portfolio turnover rater is rather high.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Golluk posted:

I'm going to assume a 34% portfolio turnover rater is rather high.

Yes

In the process of studying for my CFA I've seen some good research that reinforces just how bad active trading at almost any level (personal or fund) is (with a few exceptions, including selective tax loss selling in taxable accounts)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

They decided that instead of a free U.S. checking account as part of All-Inclusive, they'd only partially subsidize it from now on. So now each month, they take $5 USD out of that account, and then in a separate transaction they put $3 back in as a 'rebate'. Of course, since I only clear funds in and out of that account and never maintain a balance (let alone the $3500 USD minimum balance they now want), I get hit with an overdraft fee each time. And you can't even just leave $2 in there, because the initial $5 comes out first, which triggers the overdraft, which the $3 credit comes after. Totally just the stupidest thing.

So when I went to my branch to a) complain that they were now charging me for a service that was supposed to be a part of my package deal, and b) they wouldn't at the very least just take the $2 out of my loving main checking account so I didn't have to juggle this poo poo every month or risk an overdraft if I forgot, the branch manager was a totally useless idiot who refused to do anything, despite the fact that I have mid-five-digits tied up with TD between my bank and investment accounts.

It was such a shocking display of bad customer service and idiot stonewallking that, as I was leaving the bank, some random hipster walked up to me and told me that they had overheard the conversation and thought it was totally insane how bad the service had been. Totally unsolicited gut check that I wasn't just being a crazy person and that it was indeed really dumb to risk all of my business just because they insisted on taking $2 a month out of the wrong account for Reasons.

Funnily enough, they just raised the minimum balance on my husband's (regular CAD) account to $4k from 3.5k. We never got the notice in the mail, but whatever, my husband goes in to ask why he didn't get the rebate, the guy tells him that its 4k the minimum now and too bad so sad.

So my husband's like "ummm what are my options?" and the guy tells him "well RBC is the only other bank in Whistler" (which isn't even true, we also have CIBC now!)

I told a customer service guy about it and the guy was super apologetic and refunded my husband the fee and sent him an email to apologize about the bad customer service.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Welp, Questrade locked my account. No idea why, but if someone tried (or succeeded) in hijacking it, I hope that something can be done. It's poo poo that their offices are closed over the weekend, though. I have to wait a day and a half to contact them about security.

EDIT: Apparently their new mandatory update not only hosed things up re: passwords and user logins, you can't even access your MyQuestrade or IQWeb or any apps without first accepting scripts from marketing companies like Optimize and Doubleclick.net. Fun times.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 19, 2015

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
That is a shame. Seems like stocks went on sale last week. I'm converting some cash into funds a bit early.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Nobody else mentioned it yet but :frogsiren: 10k TFSA annual cap :frogsiren: effective this year :woop::toot::downs:

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Guest2553 posted:

Nobody else mentioned it yet but :frogsiren: 10k TFSA annual cap :frogsiren: effective this year :woop::toot::downs:

10k limit is fine for me personally but makes me sad for society. I don't see how this is going to do anything but increase the wealth gap and lead to reduction in government services over the long term.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Yeah, as a poor with maxed out TFSA this is nice for me but I'm like the only person in my peer group I know with any sort of investments, let alone not still paying off student loans and poo poo in their 30's. I'd much rather have a lower cap and an actual developed-world level of social services and infrastructure. That's worth a hell of a lot more to me than how ever much I'll save on taxes on my TFSA.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Mantle posted:

10k limit is fine for me personally but makes me sad for society. I don't see how this is going to do anything but increase the wealth gap and lead to reduction in government services over the long term.

It's no longer inflation indexed, so the long run government revenue impact is severely reduced from what it might have been.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Mantle posted:

Totes, but I'm not above benefiting from it. Between most people using TFSAs as glorified savings accounts and the fact that it's no longer being indexed, as lexicon pointed out, I imagine the actual budgetary impact is way less than advertised.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

I'd much rather have a lower cap and an actual developed-world level of social services and infrastructure. That's worth a hell of a lot more to me than how ever much I'll save on taxes on my TFSA.

Every time I go down to Seattle from Vancouver and see the condition of their roads, suburbs, other public infrastructure, and education level of their service staff I reconfirm that I value shared, societal wealth higher than a slight decrease in relative individual wealth.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Mantle posted:

Every time I go down to Seattle from Vancouver and see the condition of their roads, suburbs, other public infrastructure, and education level of their service staff I reconfirm that I value shared, societal wealth higher than a slight decrease in relative individual wealth.

You must go to a different Seattle than the one I go to

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Lexicon posted:

You must go to a different Seattle than the one I go to

Are you kidding me? Seattle roads are so shockingly bad that every time we go down my (American) wife turns to me and says "WE WILL NEVER MOVE BACK HERE".

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Are you kidding me? Seattle roads are so shockingly bad that every time we go down my (American) wife turns to me and says "WE WILL NEVER MOVE BACK HERE".

I have genuinely never noticed a difference in the roads except for the more rumbly concrete (ie not Tarmac) on the I5.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Mantle posted:

I currently live in Oklahoma and have taken a couple work trips to Alabama/Tennessee so there's still a long way down to go :v:

e. my (now) wife also lived in the US for a couple years and the educational system boned her pretty hard too. It started out as a mere waste of time compared to Ontario, but after she graduated and moved back north she found half the courses weren't accredited by universities. She ended up having to redo them but was behind after being out of a functional system for a couple years.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Image driven from Windsor which is a shithole onto the I75 in Michigan and you honestly wonder why anyone moves to the US at all.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Guest2553 posted:

This country is reminding me more and more of playing Tropico, wherein if you're in an election year a good strategy is to just click all the buttons that hand out free poo poo and bribes. Assassinations are also a possibility.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
So if I understand correctly, the 2015 (this year) TFSA contribution limit is now $10,000? So if I already put in my $5,500 I can dump in another $4,500 right now?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

cowofwar posted:

So if I understand correctly, the 2015 (this year) TFSA contribution limit is now $10,000? So if I already put in my $5,500 I can dump in another $4,500 right now?

Yes, it's backdated effective January 1st, 2015.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 28, 2015

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

^ Yeah, very true.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Lexicon posted:

It's no longer inflation indexed, so the long run government revenue impact is severely reduced from what it might have been.

I apologize for being an economic novice, but could you explain what this actually means? In what way was the TFSA indexed to inflation previously?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I convinced my wife to cash out a couple years worth of company stocks she's been collecting since they match 50% and just recently are changing to a system that you can only cash out once a year. She's letting me put it all in my TD e-series. Hopefully this will slowly evolve into being allowed to transfer part or all of our manulife high-fee bullshit into the e-series.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Bucswabe posted:

I apologize for being an economic novice, but could you explain what this actually means? In what way was the TFSA indexed to inflation previously?
It started at $5000 and every year inflation made that worth a bit less so eventually once that difference hit $500 the cap was raised to $5500 to compensate.

Basically $5000 in 2008 dollars was $5500 in 2014 dollars. But now the contribution limit is just hard set at $10,000. So in 2020 if unchanged it will still be $10,000 but due to inflation it will be a less significant sum due to decay in purchasing power from inflation.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 22, 2015

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

cowofwar posted:

It started at $5000 and every year inflation made that worth a bit less so eventually once that difference hit $500 the cap was raised to $5500 to compensate.

Basically $5000 in 2008 dollars was $5500 in 2014 dollars. But now the contribution limit is just hard set at $10,000. So in 2020 if unchanged it will still be $10,000 but due to inflation it will be a less significant sum due to decay in purchasing power from inflation.

Ok, yes, that makes perfect sense. Thanks very much!

I haven't seen this addressed in any analysis on the subject, but I'm wondering if there is any potential for revenue increases in the short term due to fewer people contributing to RRSPs. I know for myself, I would defer contributing to RRSPs in favour of first capping out my TFSA. Therefore, less of a tax rebate paid out to me at tax time next year...

Bucswabe fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 22, 2015

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

cowofwar posted:

Basically $5000 in 2008 dollars was $5500 in 2014 dollars.

It's kind of depressing to be reminded of how fast inflation creeps up. But that's probably because I've had my savings in a dumb savings account that's barely above inflation. :doh:

Credit card chat: My bank keeps sending me offers to raise my credit limit or get an Aventura card. I always pay off my credit card bill in full, it's basically just a cheaper ATM card for me. I never came close to my current cap so it's not like raising it will change anything. I was wondering if it affects credit rating to have a higher credit limit if I don't change my spending habits or come close to said credit limit?

Also, I've always put off getting a fancier rewards card because the flat annual fees always seem large enough to offset whatever rewards I get from it at my rate of spending, even factoring in things like extra points for groceries. I admittedly have never done the actual calculation, however, just a rough extrapolation in my head. Is there a good resource for figuring out at what threshold rewards cards offset their fees?

rt_hat
Aug 3, 2003
YARRRR

Jan posted:

Is there a good resource for figuring out at what threshold rewards cards offset their fees?

I used to use the default rewards one from TD and was getting back about $200 cash back. Since then, I've used http://www.greedyrates.ca

For the past couple of years I've been switching to a new card each year. So far it has come down to a card that waives the first annual fee and offers the best travel miles/cash back each year. Last year it was the CIBC Aeroplan one and this year it's the ScotiaBank Momentum cash back one.

I'm getting back another $100-200 more by switching credit cards each year compared to the default TD rewards one. It isn't a lot but it doesn't take much effort either.

Turns out the GoC also has one that's not as fancy http://itools-ioutils.fcac-acfc.gc.ca/STCV-OSVC/ccst-oscc-eng.aspx

rt_hat fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 22, 2015

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
For those of us with anxiety about topping up the TFSA immediately:

quote:

Clients over age 18 who have not contributed since the TFSA’s creation in 2009 now have $41,000 in contribution room. Carol Bezaire, vice-president of tax and estate planning at Mackenzie Investments, says CRA won’t penalize anyone who adds another $4,500 to their TFSA after April 21, 2015, even though the budget hasn’t technically passed yet. That’s because CRA considers the budget’s pronouncement law.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

cowofwar posted:

That's real loving funny, considering CRA dithered for YEARS about enacting the simplified business automobile expense deduction logs that they were ordered to implement in a budget back in like 2007.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

rt_hat posted:

I used to use the default rewards one from TD and was getting back about $200 cash back. Since then, I've used http://www.greedyrates.ca

For the past couple of years I've been switching to a new card each year. So far it has come down to a card that waives the first annual fee and offers the best travel miles/cash back each year. Last year it was the CIBC Aeroplan one and this year it's the ScotiaBank Momentum cash back one.

I'm getting back another $100-200 more by switching credit cards each year compared to the default TD rewards one. It isn't a lot but it doesn't take much effort either.

Turns out the GoC also has one that's not as fancy http://itools-ioutils.fcac-acfc.gc.ca/STCV-OSVC/ccst-oscc-eng.aspx

Thanks for this, I just applied for a new card. I've been running the same high interest zero reward lovely "student" visa card for like 8 years.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

cowofwar posted:

Given I've never put a dollar in my TFSA (thank you gold pension) should I put some away?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

sbaldrick posted:

Given I've never put a dollar in my TFSA (thank you gold pension) should I put some away?

I don't know if this is a sarcastic comment or not so I'll treat it seriously.

Hell yes, start using your TFSA. If you invest properly, it will take years off your working life or give you extra income on top of your pension to increase your retired standard of living.

Also, in the future the TFSA will reduce capacity for government spending on public services so you will need to spend more personally in order to maintain the same standard of living. If you don't use the TFSA, then you will be falling behind.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Mantle posted:

I don't know if this is a sarcastic comment or not so I'll treat it seriously.

Hell yes, start using your TFSA. If you invest properly, it will take years off your working life or give you extra income on top of your pension to increase your retired standard of living.

Also, in the future the TFSA will reduce capacity for government spending on public services so you will need to spend more personally in order to maintain the same standard of living. If you don't use the TFSA, then you will be falling behind.

It's honestly part sarcastic and part I phrased it badly. The honest part is how long can I keep the unused portion to fill up later (I have a government pension).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So I'm putting some cash in TFSA and doing our RRSPs this year and was thinking it would be really nice if we had a simple "go-to" sheet of ETFs/index funds for various regions. So I was browsing CCP and noticed they now have a couple different links for model portoflios than when I first took over my management from Dominion Securities:

http://www.canadianportfoliomanagerblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/CPM-Model-ETF-Portfolios-iShares-2014-12-31.pdf?850eac
http://canadiancouchpotato.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/CCP-Model-Portfolios-Vanguard.pdf
http://www.canadianportfoliomanagerblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/CPM-Model-ETF-Portfolios-iShares-2014-12-31.pdf?850eac

Are the funds listed pretty much still the way to go? Ishares and Vanguard? I guess there isn't a ton of novel ideas you can do with index funds, but I didn't think it would hurt to ask.

I'm actually a little surprised at how limited difference the upside is between the conservative and aggressive in those above portfolios.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

slidebite posted:

I'm actually a little surprised at how limited difference the upside is between the conservative and aggressive in those above portfolios.

This article attempts to explain that:

http://canadiancouchpotato.com/2015/04/07/ask-the-spud-do-aggressive-portfolios-pay-off/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

sbaldrick posted:

It's honestly part sarcastic and part I phrased it badly. The honest part is how long can I keep the unused portion to fill up later (I have a government pension).

At this point in time it does not expire.

The best part about a TFSA is that any money you withdraw from it in the future is not income. This means it won't count toward putting you over income limits for CPP and OAS, etc.

My wife has a pension and I have taken over her TFSA. If you're at the contribution limit currently, 20k for 20years @ 7% or so is pretty much a million bucks by my calculations. Benefits aside, I would rather have a million in TFSA spinning off 50-70k a year tax free, collecting full CPP/OAS, etc because I have next to no "income", than a pension income.

That's how good the TFSA is. It's so good. Everyone needs to stuff it with cash if they can.

Saltin fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Apr 23, 2015