Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

That's a real possibility, but I probably won't play this game if destroyers are useless.
Play American DDs, penetrate BB through the deck, drive off laughing :coal:

Though yeah it really seems like Japanese DDs need some love

E: also lol the first reply in your thread is some dude saying they should make torps longer to reload cause he keeps getting hit by them :ughh:

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Insert name here posted:

E: also lol the first reply in your thread is some dude saying they should make torps longer to reload cause he keeps getting hit by them :ughh:

I bet the guy is getting set on fire by HE shells, immediately repairs his fire, then gets hit by a torp trying to dodge the spread and then can't repair the flooding, so he just dies to a single torp every single time.

Wouldn't put it past these people.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
installing this game now.

had ~4100 battles in World of Tanks with goons a few years ago but haven't play a WG game since 2012.

what do i do? how do I be the best shipper?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

:laffo:

The official forum is really poo poo and probably worse than the tanks official forum but at least it's entertaining not really

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Pimpmust posted:

Russian fleet is next, followed by Germans and then the Brits, unless they changed up the order again. Def Russians next though.

That will probably take them like 2-3 years to implement so who knows about how they'll handle france/italy etc.

my richelieu :france:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So yea, I like the Cleveland. If you let me sit at 10-14k and ignore me, I'm going to wreck your game once I figure out the range to start hitting.

Here is the replay if you want to watch it. It's actually a pretty boring watch, as it's all just me dropping rounds on dudes from long range mostly. I start out by missing my first 5 or 6 salvo's, then I shoot a DD, and then find the range against a Phoenix that was nice enough to sail directly towards me, and then I start wrecking stuff. No spectacular citadel hits, just rain shells on things. 657 shells fired, 133 pens on 163 hits for 95,336 damage.

Right-click this text and save as for Cleveland replay

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

James Garfield posted:

The official forum is really poo poo and probably worse than the tanks official forum but at least it's entertaining not really

It's 100% more anime, which is right up my alley! :heysexy:

Beast of Bourbon posted:

what do i do? how do I be the best shipper?

Launch torps from the back line, tunnel vision into islands, and when you bump against someone, apologise and toss some booze over while making a hiccing sound.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Actually if you run into someone make sure to insult them and call them a terrible driver. Even if it was completely your fault. Especially if it was completely your fault.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

James Garfield posted:

EmpressNero: the absolute least objectionable thing in this person's posting is the avatar and signature. I know, I know, it sounds unbelievable, but it is so true.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

xthetenth posted:

EmpressNero: the absolute least objectionable thing in this person's posting is the avatar and signature. I know, I know, it sounds unbelievable, but it is so true.
:agreed: roleplaying is awesome

Indrazar
Sep 19, 2011
His awful signature makes me wonder what he liked about the game that they changed, especially considering that I find the current version of the game to be quite fun.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Indrazar posted:

His awful signature makes me wonder what he liked about the game that they changed, especially considering that I find the current version of the game to be quite fun.

He wanted a simulator.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

xthetenth posted:

:agreed:

Indrazar posted:

The funny part is that they made changes in alpha that did legitimately make the game less fun and he didn't complain about those.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I am so glad I got past the kawachi/myogo because those two are some terrible, terrible BBs. Although my best time in the latter was when I had two turrets destroyed and still managed to destroy a Kongo by ramming!

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I didn't find the Myogi so bad once I started running into range, then turning around and just running away for the rest of the game while the enemy usually chased me. :v:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Dalael posted:

You are just in luck. I don't care who gives the blowjob as long as it ain't me! :wiggle:

Hey now, I thought we were having a serious discussion about our brave men at sea, and you had to turn it into something dirty! :mad:

NTRabbit posted:

[SEAMN]

What? No, we're all from south-east Minnesota

This is perfect! ^

Insert name here posted:

Plus it's boss as hell to see a Nagato barrel through an enemy formation with planes overhead and watching every single gun just letting loose :orks101:

Any cool videos of this?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Insert name here posted:

I didn't find the Myogi so bad once I started running into range, then turning around and just running away for the rest of the game while the enemy usually chased me. :v:
I don't know if it was just me, but the Myogi seemed to be a magnet for destroyed main turrets. The turrets seemed to get destroyed extremely easily and once you are down even one turret, your spread is pretty thin and due to the inaccuracy of the guns (especially at the maximum range), I found that I continually straddled the target even if my shots were judged correctly. It's good that it doesn't take too long to get into the Kongo though.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I love how pubbies bitch about that aim lead mod (which they blame for people not having to fire shots for ranging) when the ALT button is so much more powerful. More likely, people are figuring out that ALT button gives you lead info and shot travel time and everything you need to calculate a shot, as well as enemy HP and they're just not telling people. Seriously, try hitting the alt button in a match and using that for aiming your shots, pubbies will accuse you of aim-hacking.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

orange juche posted:

I love how pubbies bitch about that aim lead mod (which they blame for people not having to fire shots for ranging) when the ALT button is so much more powerful. More likely, people are figuring out that ALT button gives you lead info and shot travel time and everything you need to calculate a shot, as well as enemy HP and they're just not telling people. Seriously, try hitting the alt button in a match and using that for aiming your shots, pubbies will accuse you of aim-hacking.

I actually just found out a few minutes ago about the ALT thing. I would guess you're the one who just taught me? Seriously, ALT is a magical key in this game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah, I had no idea that ALT existed until it was mentioned here.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I told my team about the alt thing, only one person knew, and at the end everyone said it definitely improved their shooting ability, we lost one person to getting rammed for what it's worth. Accuracy is real.

The Omaha is really nice too :getin:

orange juche fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 22, 2015

Montefarle
Apr 12, 2005

orange juche posted:

The aim lead mod is pitiful and will likely be slowly broken patch by patch.

Alt, on the other hand, will reign supreme until the servers shut down.

Something something coded advantages in pvp are cool.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
I'm in hell.

The Hatsuharu is a bad DD. But mine also seems to be genuinely cursed. Every time I take it out, I get the most worthless retards imaginable as a team and no matter how much I do, it's not enough to prevent these assholes from snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Hey, let me take and hold A all by myself for most of the game, cripple an Atlanta and an american DD and nuke a Baltimore. You can lose everywhere else meanwhile. :argh:

Magni fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 22, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Just got into the Langley. I know it's a poo poo ship and whatever, but playing as a carrier isn't that bad. I mean, if the rest of your team is decent. Otherwise you're hosed.

Are fighters just total poo poo though? I sent mine after some other fighters and they just got annihilated.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Prav posted:

They're calling release "open beta" and there'll be a final wipe when they move from closed beta to open beta. The preorder packages will get reapplied then.

I would expect an other wipe when they go from Open Beta to release as well.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Tahirovic posted:

I would expect an other wipe when they go from Open Beta to release as well.

It's somewhere among the many threads that if they do another wipe after open beta then it will most likely be a soft wipe, giving you back free xp and credits.

Looks like I might become a Supertester soon :dance:

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

NTRabbit posted:

[SEAMN]

What? No, we're all from south-east Minnesota

Heh.. good one.

Everyone loves SEAMN.. come on, lets all go play with SEAMN!

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

demonR6 posted:

Heh.. good one.

Everyone loves SEAMN.. come on, lets all go play with SEAMN!
I declare war on SEAMN.

Oh no, I've been defeated by SEAMN!

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Feeling lonely? Cum join us on TeamSpeak, our server is full of hot able SEAMN that would love to play with you!

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Drone posted:

Are fighters just total poo poo though? I sent mine after some other fighters and they just got annihilated.

The Langley fighters are terrible against any other fighter out there, sadly. My favourite match was when I was up against an Independence and a Ranger as a Langley. They wiped all of my planes from the first sortie in less than 30 seconds.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Baudin posted:

The Langley fighters are terrible against any other fighter out there, sadly. My favourite match was when I was up against an Independence and a Ranger as a Langley. They wiped all of my planes from the first sortie in less than 30 seconds.

I just had a pretty neat match with me (Langley) and an Independence up against two Independences. In the end the match was a draw, but while the Independence focused on torpedo'ing, I managed to destroy three of the opposing team's fighter squadrons using my own, giving the Independence freedom to bomb away.

I guess ideally the roles would have been reversed, but it worked out.

Edit: okay yeah, playing as a CV is pretty good when you and the other CV on your team actively coordinate and communicate. Was just in a match with another Langley and we coordinated torpedo bombing runs. You can dodge torpedoes all you want, but it's goddamn hard to do when you have four squadrons bearing down on you from the same angle and launching like 30 torpedoes in a cone.

Drone fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 22, 2015

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The Langley fighters are awful, but the Langley is in a tier where ship AA is awful so you can take your time setting up your runs.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

orange juche posted:

I need a way to toggle it on. As it is my thumb just lives on the ALT key 100% of the time I'm in the game, which I'm sure will lead to pain issues down the road if I play this game much, as I've got a history of carpel-tunnel issues from playing dumb video games (and maybe a little bit since I work on a computer all day too).

But yea, I have no idea how anyone would hit anything without the information given with the ALT key on, except at short ranges and directly closing or chasing shots.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Magni posted:

I'm in hell.

The Hatsuharu is a bad DD. But mine also seems to be genuinely cursed. Every time I take it out, I get the most worthless retards imaginable as a team and no matter how much I do, it's not enough to prevent these assholes from snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Hey, let me take and hold A all by myself for most of the game, cripple and Atlanta and an american DD and nuke a Baltimore. You can lose everywhere else meanwhile. :argh:

This is me (but at lower tiers) in a DD. I can't buy a win in the Clemson. Last night on one of those stupid domination maps, myself and a guy in a St. Louis held A against 6 enemy ships, and we loving killed all 6 of them, only to lose the game as the rest of our team meandered around aimlessly being completely useless. We eventually died as we tried to head into B area in a desperate attempt to pull out a victory.

At least I'm getting somewhat better at DD driving.

I also had a hilarious game in the Clemson that I can only attribute to a really strange combination of terrible luck, and good luck merging together. I over-extended and turned to late so exposed myself in the center (great race mode) when I exited my own smoke screen, and got my steering disabled while out in the open. I of course immediately hit repair fired off all my torpedoes in the general direction of the enemy, and ran for my smoke, at which point the next salvo critted my engine. poo poo. So now I'm coasting towards my smoke, expecting to die, when my torpedo salvo takes out a cruiser, and makes the DD who is closing on me turn away, and I slowly coast behind an island inside my smoke, where I sit and wait for my engine to repair.
My engine repairs finish just as a Kawachi is coming around the island at about 2km range for the free kill (since I'm sitting bow-on to him as he comes around), so I jump forward and turn, launching a full salvo of torpedoes into him and sinking him.
At this point my own stupidity saves me, as an enemy cruiser has launched his torpedoes at me, and there is no way I'm going to avoid them, except that I fail to make my turn, running myself aground, letting the torpedoes shoot past my grounded ship into the island ahead of me. I go full reverse, and the Clemson turns fast enough in reverse to get a shooting angle on the cruiser as he's trying to get back around the island, and I torpedo him too. Good times. Of course I then got sunk and my team lost.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 22, 2015

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

There are replays now? How?

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
The locator posted this earlier in the thread:

The Locator posted:

Replays!

Goon in a division with me earlier did not know that replays are now enabled (no option in the menu), so I figured I would put this here. It's quite easy to turn replays on.

Find the "preferences.xml" file in the directory that you installed WoWS. Back it up. Using any text editor (i.e. Notepad) open the (non-backup) file.

Find the lines that looks like this (this will be very close to the end of the file):

code:
	</scriptsPreferences>
	<consoleHistory />
Paste the following before those two lines:

code:
		<isReplayEnabled>true</isReplayEnabled>
		<ReplayCameraUpdate>30</ReplayCameraUpdate>
So now it should look like:

code:
		<isReplayEnabled>true</isReplayEnabled>
		<ReplayCameraUpdate>30</ReplayCameraUpdate>
	</scriptsPreferences>
	<consoleHistory />
Save the file.

Start the game.

Replays will automatically go to a 'replays' folder which the game will create if it doesn't already exist.

To watch replays, exit the game, find the replay in your replay folder, and double click - you'll need to now tell Windows to use WorldOfWarships.exe to open this file type.

The replay will launch and you can watch yourself sink all over again!

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

The Locator posted:

I need a way to toggle it on. As it is my thumb just lives on the ALT key 100% of the time I'm in the game, which I'm sure will lead to pain issues down the road if I play this game much, as I've got a history of carpel-tunnel issues from playing dumb video games (and maybe a little bit since I work on a computer all day too).

But yea, I have no idea how anyone would hit anything without the information given with the ALT key on, except at short ranges and directly closing or chasing shots.
I don't use alt for aiming, just to see ship HP. I feel like I have a pretty good hit rate at range. :shrug:

I've only looked at alt a few times to see how it could be used for aiming, but nothing obvious jumps out at me. What about it makes it so useful?

edit: I have only played 29 battles so the sample size is low, but my hit performance is 31%. What's considered average? What hit rates are you guys getting?

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 22, 2015

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Uranium 235 posted:

I don't use alt for aiming, just to see ship HP. I feel like I have a pretty good hit rate at range. :shrug:

I've only looked at alt a few times to see how it could be used for aiming, but nothing obvious jumps out at me. What about it makes it so useful?

The km indicator next to your reticle with the arrow by it is the lead indicator for the given range, it tells you the distance your target will cover while your shells are in the air. You basically match the number over your target with the number next to your reticle, and it will either straddle or outright hit your target barring him turning while your shells are in the air. Note it is a bit shaky with someone changing distance to target on you, but it's drat close anyways. Doesn't work on targets behind islands as your rangefinder only sees what is nearest you.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

The Locator posted:

ALT ALT ALT

Bunch of pages back, someone posted some mods lifted from the RU forums, as NA has no mods section yet. One of these mods is a Perma Alt Key thing. Install, press Alt once at battle start, its on for the match.

Click this for fun and prizes! :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Uranium 235 posted:

edit: I have only played 29 battles so the sample size is low, but my hit performance is 31%. What's considered average? What hit rates are you guys getting?

It gives you the target's exact range, the exact range your guns are aimed at, and the flight time of your shells at the range you are aiming at. That lets my internal calculator sort of figure out lead based on how much distance I see the target cover per second, and of course extrapolate the angle based on the expected distance covered, etc. Sort of hard to explain really, but it seems to help me a lot.

Hit rate is a crazy variable, since it depends not only on the range of engagement, but on the ship you are driving, and what targets you are shooting at. Close range fights with a giant slow target like a Kawachi are going to net extremely high hit rates, but a long range shot at a cruiser with a Fuso might only net a hit or three (out of 12 guns) even with a perfect salvo due to the crazy dispersion of the guns. 31% doesn't sound bad.

That Cleveland game I posted the replay for up above was a great game, but the hit rate was only about 25% (163 hits, 657 shots fired). The entire game was long range though, and I was taking shots at everything that moved, even 12k+ shots at DD's that were actively dodging. My battleship games tend to run closer to 35% hit rate, because with the slow reload I tend to go for more certain targets - i.e. the enemy BB's at range, or cruisers that are getting close enough to be a torpedo threat.

MREBoy posted:

Bunch of pages back, someone posted some mods lifted from the RU forums, as NA has no mods section yet. One of these mods is a Perma Alt Key thing. Install, press Alt once at battle start, its on for the match.

Click this for fun and prizes! :tipshat:

Thanks!