Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I started listening to the Face/Off episode of WHM, but quickly realised that I just cannot listen to an hour and a half of some dudes getting mad at Face/Off. It's too awesome.

You should go back to it then because it's definitely a We Love Movies episode. They talk about how ridiculous and silly it is but how the ham factor makes it a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Was there a specific reason they use Star Wars as a measure of how long a movie is?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

GrandpaPants posted:

Was there a specific reason they use Star Wars as a measure of how long a movie is?

It think it's that Star Wars is such a big epic movie with a good length (around 2 hrs) that, if you're going to be longer than Star Wars, you better have a good god drat reason for it.

It could have been any movie just like it.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

thrawn527 posted:

It think it's that Star Wars is such a big epic movie with a good length (around 2 hrs) that, if you're going to be longer than Star Wars, you better have a good god drat reason for it.

It could have been any movie just like it.

I think it originally just came up as an offhanded remark when one of them was incredulous at how long some crappy movie or another was. It's probably a good metric, though, since most people listening to WHM have probably seen Star Wars so you have a sense of what it means to be longer than Star Wars.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
I think it was in the Ms. Doubtfire episode, where Steve was incredulous that a movie where Robin Williams crossdressing as an old lady could be longer than Star Wars.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
June :allears:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

The Unnamed One posted:

I think it was in the Ms. Doubtfire episode, where Steve was incredulous that a movie where Robin Williams crossdressing as an old lady could be longer than Star Wars.

Because Star Wars managed to establish a literal universe, religion, and flesh out some 9 characters in a little over two hours while Mrs. Doubtfire takes longer to set up a lovely movie's premise

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

And Star Wars did all that while not introducing the main character for 30 minutes. Structure-wise, it's a weird loving movie.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Is it really 30 minutes before Luke shows up?

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
Chewie is the protagonist of all Star Wars movies.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
We should make a list of the We Love Movies episodes. The ones I can think of off the top of my head are:

Tuff Turf
Best of the Best 2
Body Parts
On Deadly Ground

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Only the Strong
Hider in the House
Pray for Death(the secret Batman movie)
Pretty much every Wilford Brimley movie they've done

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Hard Target, goddammuht!

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Beeez posted:

Is it really 30 minutes before Luke shows up?

17 according to Star Wars Minute. (which is also a pretty good movie podcast)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Calaveron posted:

Because Star Wars managed to establish a literal universe, religion, and flesh out some 9 characters in a little over two hours while Mrs. Doubtfire takes longer to set up a lovely movie's premise

Yea I've seen people use the 'star wars scale' before and it basically always means this. Star Wars establishes a universe, tells a tight story, has action and romance and spectacle and it all does it in a little over 2 hours. If your movie about a lovely father in drag throwing fruit at people needs longer than that maybe you hosed something up.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm listening to Babycakes again and good Christ that's one of the funniest WHM episodes ever IMO. Their entire breakdown of the rape scene is the best. That and Poison Ivy are two of my favorite older episodes. Also add any Busey movie to the We Love Movies list.

Also I just checked this thread for the first time in a while and that dragon dick :stare:. WHY?! WHY DID THEY DO THAT.

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I'm listening to Babycakes again and good Christ that's one of the funniest WHM episodes ever IMO. Their entire breakdown of the rape scene is the best.
One of the really great things about WHM is that they consistently call out the appalling sexual politics, the misogyny, racism, homophobia, etc. in these films and are able to spin a ton of humour out of doing so. A lot of their best moments come from that general attitude, actually: elaborating on why exactly a stupid or disturbing moment in a film is just so awful by fully examining the context and implications. They demonstrate that you can criticise the hell out of something like the creepy as gently caress Babycakes scene and do it in a very funny way. It's extremely refreshing in comparison to some of the other bad review comedy shows, who often use 'comedy' as an excuse to express some really gross views.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

"I like movies that are set in planes, because the stakes are so high". This is great week for both WHM and HDTGM since it it turned into an impromptu Nicolas Cage appreciation week.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bolingbroke posted:

One of the really great things about WHM is that they consistently call out the appalling sexual politics, the misogyny, racism, homophobia, etc. in these films and are able to spin a ton of humour out of doing so. A lot of their best moments come from that general attitude, actually: elaborating on why exactly a stupid or disturbing moment in a film is just so awful by fully examining the context and implications. They demonstrate that you can criticise the hell out of something like the creepy as gently caress Babycakes scene and do it in a very funny way. It's extremely refreshing in comparison to some of the other bad review comedy shows, who often use 'comedy' as an excuse to express some really gross views.

Yea I like that they have the ability to say 'this is a hosed up thing' without dwelling on how offensive/bigoted it is and instead making jokes about how stupid it is to be an offensive bigot.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I like that they have the ability to say 'this is a hosed up thing' without dwelling on how offensive/bigoted it is and instead making jokes about how stupid it is to be an offensive bigot.

It is the perfect balance of them being smart, progressive people and not being annoyingly so.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Don't forget the Running Man!

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

"June is that a glass of chardonnay? Are you having a white wine evening?"

"This is vodka."

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

OctoberCountry posted:

"June is that a glass of chardonnay? Are you having a white wine evening?"

"This is vodka."

Yeah, that's why I feel self-conscious walking around listening to HDTGM on headphones, because moments like this make me look like a crazy person.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

davidHalestorm posted:

"I like movies that are set in planes, because the stakes are so high". This is great week for both WHM and HDTGM since it it turned into an impromptu Nicolas Cage appreciation week.

And I'm pretty sure it's going to keep going. If I understood Jason's comment correctly, the second episode they were recording that day if front of the crowd was Face/Off. Funny how the timing on both podcasts worked out that way.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Dracula 2000 is really underrated. The improv in it is gasp-for-air funny.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Good WHM news for fans who would like to listen to their live appearance commentaries, WHM posted a YouTube audio clip of their Green Lantern Live episode and the sound quality is superb: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOiJY0j0iq8

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Good WHM news for fans who would like to listen to their live appearance commentaries, WHM posted a YouTube audio clip of their Green Lantern Live episode and the sound quality is superb: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOiJY0j0iq8

Is it going to be posted in full at some point?

edit: I'm an idiot and the description says full episode coming Summer 2015. Awesome.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mojo Threepwood posted:

"This is one of the most heartbreaking things in my life, and I actually have zero grandparents right now"

can't wait for summer.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Tatum Girlparts posted:

"This is one of the most heartbreaking things in my life, and I actually have zero grandparents right now"

can't wait for summer.

Without listening to the preview, I will bet you cash money this was said by Steve

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Calaveron posted:

Without listening to the preview, I will bet you cash money this was said by Steve

Great work, Columbo. /jupinvoice

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Hahaha yeah, my favorite moment in the 200th episode were the two retakes because Steve introduced himself as Chris, then disconnected his microphone.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Don't forget Steve thinking Gina Girshon's character was a prostitute.

"Or am I making that up?"
"You're making that up."
"Okay, let's just cut this."

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looking forward to the Green Lantern episode, I thought they had said it wasn't going to be released as a regular episode so the clip came as a pleasant surprise.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

And I'm pretty sure it's going to keep going. If I understood Jason's comment correctly, the second episode they were recording that day if front of the crowd was Face/Off. Funny how the timing on both podcasts worked out that way.

Too bad we gotta wait till next week. I wished HDTGM released their live episodes back to back.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Newest WHM Mailbag is great, I'm starting to look forward to those a lot. The listener mail is entertaining and seems to always prompt an interesting movie story from the hosts. It was weird to me that Jupin got annoyed that a listener couldn't tell them apart, I had trouble myself for like 5 episodes or so before it totally clicked.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
It was hilarious, because Jupin is definitely the "Rosetta Stone" for unlocking who's who.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
There's no way this isn't happening next week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksBE53CIT8E

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I hope so for the Zelda Rubinstein impressions alone. That's one of my favorite parts of the Good Son episode (also because it leads into the Surge/American Movie riffing).

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Ror posted:

I hope so for the Zelda Rubinstein impressions alone. That's one of my favorite parts of the Good Son episode (also because it leads into the Surge/American Movie riffing).

poo poo - I started thinking about that riff and started laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The Modern Leper posted:

It was hilarious, because Jupin is definitely the "Rosetta Stone" for unlocking who's who.

For a while I could only remember Jupin. Now that I listen to Blame it on Outer Space its easier.

Jupin's story about Snickers and Gene Shalit is great. Even if you had to watch Stealth.