Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

Amoeba102 posted:

Does Gandalf's Staff allow you to discard a shadow card after it has been revealed so as to cancel it, or do you have to discard before the reveal?

Only before it's revealed. There isn't an action window between revealing the shadow effect and resolving it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Rarity posted:

Ranged characters can attack other players's enemies during their owner's turn so as long as it was still that player's turn it should have been fine :)

I thought a player could only attack one enemy per round?

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

PJOmega posted:

I thought a player could only attack one enemy per round?

Each enemy may only be attacked once per round.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Ahhh, thank you.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Taran_Wanderer posted:

And to be clear on this:
Each enemy can be attacked once during each and every player's attack step*.
What this means is that if Taran Wanderer attacks first and I join the attack with my ranged char. I can then refresh him (somehow) and attack the same enemy again during my turn.

*excluding cards that break this rule (quick strike, etc) that don't even count towards your 1 attack.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 22, 2015

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Thanks for the quick responses. We played the second scenario with three starter decks (all but lore).

First flip had 2 Hill Giants. Last two cards flipped in the ambush were 2 Hill Giants.

Quickly realized that Forest Snare was a good card. We survived though.

If we complete a quest during the combat step (from Legolas (Core)'s ability) and the next step would flip more cards than there are left in the encounter deck, do we shuffle the discard back?

And finally, Thalin vs. Eastern Crows. We ended up with Thalin committed to the quest and a deck that consisted of nothing but Eastern Crows. After three reveals in a row we checked it to confirm and then shuffled the discard in but would love to know what we should have done.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

PJOmega posted:

Thanks for the quick responses. We played the second scenario with three starter decks (all but lore).

First flip had 2 Hill Giants. Last two cards flipped in the ambush were 2 Hill Giants.

Quickly realized that Forest Snare was a good card. We survived though.

If we complete a quest during the combat step (from Legolas (Core)'s ability) and the next step would flip more cards than there are left in the encounter deck, do we shuffle the discard back?

And finally, Thalin vs. Eastern Crows. We ended up with Thalin committed to the quest and a deck that consisted of nothing but Eastern Crows. After three reveals in a row we checked it to confirm and then shuffled the discard in but would love to know what we should have done.

If you need to draw more cards from the encounter deck, draw all the cards you can draw then shuffle the discard pile (without any cards that went to the victory display) to make your new encounter deck, then continue drawing from that.

Thalin actually kills Eastern Crows before surge takes effect so you don't need to draw additional encounter cards because of it.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

sirtommygunn posted:

Thalin actually kills Eastern Crows before surge takes effect so you don't need to draw additional encounter cards because of it.

Good ol' Thalin. Now that I'm playing this game again, I should give him a try in the Battle quests.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

PJOmega posted:

Only shuffle the Encounter Discard pile back into the Encounter deck during the Quest phase. If you deck out at any other time, lucky you.
Except if a card effect specifically tells you to.

Amoeba102 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 22, 2015

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Since when have the Treason of Saruman card spoilers been out?

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Amoeba102 posted:

Since when have the Treason of Saruman card spoilers been out?

The last of them leaked in the last few days.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Yeah, I just noticed them when doing deck building on cardgamedb then realised there was a filter for the set. Welp, I need to buy more cards. I have barely touched anything that isn't the Sagas beyond the core, only picking up Dead Marshes for a fast hitch and the hunt for gollum just because. In the last three days I have bought or put in orders for the rest of the Mirkwood cycle and Khazadum/dwarrowdelf. Now I need to do sneak ahead in the cycles to get Celebrimbor's secret and The Antlered crown for some Ents.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Amoeba102 posted:

Yeah, I just noticed them when doing deck building on cardgamedb then realised there was a filter for the set. Welp, I need to buy more cards. I have barely touched anything that isn't the Sagas beyond the core, only picking up Dead Marshes for a fast hitch and the hunt for gollum just because. In the last three days I have bought or put in orders for the rest of the Mirkwood cycle and Khazadum/dwarrowdelf. Now I need to do sneak ahead in the cycles to get Celebrimbor's secret and The Antlered crown for some Ents.

It sounds like you'll soon have most of the pieces of my favorite deck, at the moment: the white counsel! Gandalf, Elrond and Galadriel with all of the their unique attachments. Put an unexpected courage on Galadriel, shadowfax on gandalf, and light of valinor on Elrond. There is an attachment that allows you to ready a hero when they get a resource from a card effect, and sometimes I include that on Elrond so gandalfs staff can make him triple useful. I also put some threat reduction cards in there, like the zero coster that reduces the threat by 3.

Load up the deck with Ents and you'll have a party. Also a single Beorn for fun. Each of the heroes is pulling at least double duty. Galadriel keeps your threat down and allows you to draw more so you can get the attachments out quickly. Soon she'll be doing that and contributing to questing. Gandalfs pipe and Elrond's ring get your Ents out right before the refresh phase, so they'll start ready for action. Treebeard ally keeps them cheaper, so you can get at least one but mostly two Ents out per turn. Extra attachments make using Galadriel's mirror less of a threat to pull those last needed pieces (and more Ents) as you'll be likely to lose an extra staff or pipe.

Depending on the quest, you'll end up below your starting threat between Galadriel and the threat reduction cards. I also ended up decking myself, so I have more than 50 cards. I might work my way back down to that though, but it works with more.

In the end, you'll end up with Gandalf who can be used twice, Elrond who can be used three times, and Galadriel who is being used twice. You'll have 4-5 resources per turn (one additional from the staff and one from Treebeard) and an army of Ents. On top of all that, your threat will be close to, if not lower than what you started with. You can replace the Ents with any other allies if you want to use Galadriel's 'allies don't exhaust to quest' ability, but I usually forget about that.

Edit : One more thing that I don't think I emphasized enough: the sheer ridiculousness of the card draw. You are drawing at least two per turn with Galadriel. That becomes three with the mirror (with the negative loss but that rarely is a big deal). With Gandalf, all zero cost cards replace themselves afterwards if they are on top, so playing that threat reduction card or a Durin's runes from the top of the deck replaces itself with a new card. So add one for each zero cost card you play from the top (another use for the pipe), and an additional two for Durin's runes.

It isn't rare drawing 6-7 cards in a turn with this deck. Absolutely bonkers.

Rusty Kettle fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 24, 2015

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Rusty Kettle posted:

It sounds like you'll soon have most of the pieces of my favorite deck, at the moment: the white counsel! Gandalf, Elrond and Galadriel with all of the their unique attachments. Put an unexpected courage on Galadriel, shadowfax on gandalf, and light of valinor on Elrond. There is an attachment that allows you to ready a hero when they get a resource from a card effect, and sometimes I include that on Elrond so gandalfs staff can make him triple useful. I also put some threat reduction cards in there, like the zero coster that reduces the threat by 3.

Load up the deck with Ents and you'll have a party. Also a single Beorn for fun. Each of the heroes is pulling at least double duty. Galadriel keeps your threat down and allows you to draw more so you can get the attachments out quickly. Soon she'll be doing that and contributing to questing. Gandalfs pipe and Elrond's ring get your Ents out right before the refresh phase, so they'll start ready for action. Treebeard ally keeps them cheaper, so you can get at least one but mostly two Ents out per turn. Extra attachments make using Galadriel's mirror less of a threat to pull those last needed pieces (and more Ents) as you'll be likely to lose an extra staff or pipe.

Depending on the quest, you'll end up below your starting threat between Galadriel and the threat reduction cards. I also ended up decking myself, so I have more than 50 cards. I might work my way back down to that though, but it works with more.

In the end, you'll end up with Gandalf who can be used twice, Elrond who can be used three times, and Galadriel who is being used twice. You'll have 4-5 resources per turn (one additional from the staff and one from Treebeard) and an army of Ents. On top of all that, your threat will be close to, if not lower than what you started with. You can replace the Ents with any other allies if you want to use Galadriel's 'allies don't exhaust to quest' ability, but I usually forget about that.

Edit : One more thing that I don't think I emphasized enough: the sheer ridiculousness of the card draw. You are drawing at least two per turn with Galadriel. That becomes three with the mirror (with the negative loss but that rarely is a big deal). With Gandalf, all zero cost cards replace themselves afterwards if they are on top, so playing that threat reduction card or a Durin's runes from the top of the deck replaces itself with a new card. So add one for each zero cost card you play from the top (another use for the pipe), and an additional two for Durin's runes.

It isn't rare drawing 6-7 cards in a turn with this deck. Absolutely bonkers.

That sounds like a ton of fun. I'm always at a crossroads because I want to try all sorts of different decks, but I love my main Legolas/Haldir/Celeborn Silvan deck. I play 4 player with people who all have better defenders so I generally just shoot the poo poo out of everything while absorbing a lot of our direct damage because Silvan Trackers are dope.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Epi Lepi posted:

That sounds like a ton of fun. I'm always at a crossroads because I want to try all sorts of different decks, but I love my main Legolas/Haldir/Celeborn Silvan deck. I play 4 player with people who all have better defenders so I generally just shoot the poo poo out of everything while absorbing a lot of our direct damage because Silvan Trackers are dope.

White counsel is good times in four player games. Everyone makes fun of you because you are taking your time building, but within the first five rounds or so, you are handling most of it on your own.

Reminds me of a good story. I had three orcs on me. One was relatively small and had some wounds, the other two were nasty and no one wanted them. I had ents defend all three (damaging some and boosting booming end of course) and had Gandalf kill all three of them single handedly. He killed the weak one, used flames of anour + Beorn to ready and be eight attack, then one shotted one, used shadowfax to ready, then one shotted the other. Badass Wizard. I had contributed at least 7 to questing (most likely more due to faramer) , and drew a few cards previously. Everyone felt inferior.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Rusty Kettle posted:

White counsel is good times in four player games. Everyone makes fun of you because you are taking your time building, but within the first five rounds or so, you are handling most of it on your own.

Reminds me of a good story. I had three orcs on me. One was relatively small and had some wounds, the other two were nasty and no one wanted them. I had ents defend all three (damaging some and boosting booming end of course) and had Gandalf kill all three of them single handedly. He killed the weak one, used flames of anour + Beorn to ready and be eight attack, then one shotted one, used shadowfax to ready, then one shotted the other. Badass Wizard. I had contributed at least 7 to questing (most likely more due to faramer) , and drew a few cards previously. Everyone felt inferior.

Do you have a deck list because this sounds fun.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

frgildan posted:

Do you have a deck list because this sounds fun.

Not really. I tend to build by going through my binder and seeing what looks good. From the top of my head, I just started with 2x of all the essential attachements, 3x of the Ents. 1x beorn. 1x Faramir. 3x spirit threat reduction cards. 2x gandalfs big fireball. 1x bilbo to be a third pipe. 3x durin's runes.

I some of the attachments I want to see early I bump to 3, like Galadriel's mirror and readying cards, but this should get you pretty close if not over 50 cards.

Edit: also I put that side quest that lets you tutor a card. If gandalf sees it on the top of the deck, you can play it and it replaces itself instantly, so it doesn't really take up a card slot as long as gandalf plays it. And it lets you find those troublesome combo pieces early or dig up Beorn late.

Edit: At one point, I had 3x Galadriel's handmaidens in there. They help reduce threat, and are decent questers or chumps early. I took them out, but regret it.

Oh yeah, I have wardens of healing too. They pair with Elrond and keep the ents alive. You ideally want them to have one wound each for the booming ents.

This is the Homer Simpson car of Lord of the Rings decks.

Rusty Kettle fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 24, 2015

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Rusty Kettle posted:

Not really. I tend to build by going through my binder and seeing what looks good. From the top of my head, I just started with 2x of all the essential attachements, 3x of the Ents. 1x beorn. 1x Faramir. 3x spirit threat reduction cards. 2x gandalfs big fireball. 1x bilbo to be a third pipe. 3x durin's runes.

I some of the attachments I want to see early I bump to 3, like Galadriel's mirror and readying cards, but this should get you pretty close if not over 50 cards.

Edit: also I put that side quest that lets you tutor a card. If gandalf sees it on the top of the deck, you can play it and it replaces itself instantly, so it doesn't really take up a card slot as long as gandalf plays it. And it lets you find those troublesome combo pieces early or dig up Beorn late.

Edit: At one point, I had 3x Galadriel's handmaidens in there. They help reduce threat, and are decent questers or chumps early. I took them out, but regret it.

Oh yeah, I have wardens of healing too. They pair with Elrond and keep the ents alive. You ideally want them to have one wound each for the booming ents.

This is the Homer Simpson car of Lord of the Rings decks.

CardgameDB is fun for deck building, but I mostly use it to brainstorm the first iteration of my decks and then forget to keep it updated with any changes I end up making.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Epi Lepi posted:

CardgameDB is fun for deck building, but I mostly use it to brainstorm the first iteration of my decks and then forget to keep it updated with any changes I end up making.

I tried it, but I got spoiled by Netrunnerdb.com and the Netrunner android app. Compared to those two, cardgamedb is trash, and I'd rather just use my binder.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Rusty Kettle posted:

I tried it, but I got spoiled by Netrunnerdb.com and the Netrunner android app. Compared to those two, cardgamedb is trash, and I'd rather just use my binder.

So glad ConquestDB exists now.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Got to play some more LOTR. I had built a Leadership/Tactics deck using Beregond, Leadership Boromir, and Thalin for use against the Heirs of Numenor quests, but we decided to try our luck against Conflict at the Carrock. Things went well at first, but with the unique Trolls came a Hill Troll, and we didn't see any of our location management, so we had to deal with the Trolls before we were ready, and things went bad quickly. I wasn't displeased with the deck's performance, so hopefully we can give it a go against Peril in Pelargir this week.

Since I've got people interested, I think it's finally time to start picking up some more cards for the game. I was going to pick up Khazad-Dum and the Dwarrowdelf cycle, but after seeing The Lost Realm's stuff, I think I'll just get that instead and get the new packs as they come out. I think it's also time for The Road Darkens, because Gandalf!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is it me or does it feel like FFG is doing kind of a terrible job at the hype train for Conquest? No info on the next cycle, no more previews for Tyranids, and Isha even feels a bit late this month or something? Has Netrunner spoiled me?

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Is it me or does it feel like FFG is doing kind of a terrible job at the hype train for Conquest? No info on the next cycle, no more previews for Tyranids, and Isha even feels a bit late this month or something? Has Netrunner spoiled me?

The last preview for the Tyranids was in March, so a bit, maybe? After the problems they had with the Star Wars LCG, I think they're being a bit more cautious about how soon they release previews for everything.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
If it's any consolation, Descendants of Isha will be starting to show up at stores tomorrow (at least mine).

In other news, played two more games of Conquest last night, lost both of them, but ended up with alt-art Eldorath anyways. I love the alt-art warlords.

I think I'll switch from Shadowsun to Aun'Shi though, because try as I might I can't get her to work quite how I'd like to. But to be fair, that seems to be all the decks I make, so.

In other news, finally got an organizer for my LOTR stuff, and it sure is spiffy, if I say so myself.

Downside is it will only hold two cycles worth of adventure decks (at least they way I'm organizing it, but that's what core set box number two is for, I suppose.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How do i make/buy components to do that myself?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Baron Porkface posted:

How do i make/buy components to do that myself?

That particular insert is the Sleeved Card Game Organizer from Broken Token, my local store stocks their stuff, which is the main reason I got it as opposed to any other brand.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Devlan Mud posted:

That particular insert is the Sleeved Card Game Organizer from Broken Token, my local store stocks their stuff, which is the main reason I got it as opposed to any other brand.

I have everything released in two Hobby Lobby artist boxes, using Broken Tokens insert for said box. That's just the encounter cards. All player cards I have in binders

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Did we ever identify an alternative source for those artist boxes? There's no Hobby Lobby nearby and I wouldn't support them if there were.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
where do people buy sleeves for their lotr stuff? would be nice to just buy a ton in bulk and save a bit of money

DonnyTrump
Apr 24, 2010

inSTAALed posted:

where do people buy sleeves for their lotr stuff? would be nice to just buy a ton in bulk and save a bit of money

I get all of mine from http://www.potomacdist.com/default.asp .

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I paid the $20 for this http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/146012 and just ordered enough LotR expansions and sleeves to put me over the $100 for free shipping. I have 3x Core and then everything chronologically through Heirs of Numenor and all the sleeved cards fit in the first 3 boxes of the 12 box hotel.

They have the Fantasy Flight FFS05 sleeves for $2.89 per 50 so it is only slightly more expensive than Potomac unless you can get your Potomac order up enough to get free shipping.

Although I guess I live in NoVA and one of my friends goes out to Potomac every few months to get stuff so I should just have him get me a box of sleeves next time.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Steward's Fear is back in stock, Gondorian Shields for everyone!!!

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Anyone have a good set of 4 decks out of 2 cores for LotR? Have no idea what to do when it comes to deckbuilding.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

PJOmega posted:

Anyone have a good set of 4 decks out of 2 cores for LotR? Have no idea what to do when it comes to deckbuilding.

You can't really build a 4x 50 card decks with just two cores. Just take all the cards, max 3, and 2 Gandalfs for each deck and call it a day.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

mongol posted:

You can't really build a 4x 50 card decks with just two cores. Just take all the cards, max 3, and 2 Gandalfs for each deck and call it a day.

This, pretty much. You could also try building four dual-sphere decks with fewer cards. 35 or 40 would probably be good.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Taran_Wanderer posted:

This, pretty much. You could also try building four dual-sphere decks with fewer cards. 35 or 40 would probably be good.

That would probably be better, since you are going to have 6 copies of some cards.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Yeah, dual sphere. The one with 2 heroes of a sphere gets 3 of every card if possible of that sphere, then gets the excess of of the other sphere. If you want to make them easily.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Should I sleeve my cards? Should I sleeve just player cards or everything including double sided cards (ie clear sleeves).

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Amoeba102 posted:

Should I sleeve my cards? Should I sleeve just player cards or everything including double sided cards (ie clear sleeves).

Personally, I just sleeve the player cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Personally, I just sleeve the player cards.

Same here!

Haha so Wednesday night I played with some buddies (via hangouts). It was one guys, maybe 2nd or 3rd time playing. The quest he picked (cause we let him) was Battle of Lake Town. It...did not go well.
The highlight for me was having Eleanor with 3 Unexpected Courage's on her...because most good targets for it were dead. I think next time though we'll hold off on letting him pick and start with some slightly easier quests! Still super fun though.